GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a source for the photo, currcat?

it was a photo taken at graduation back in May and posted on another site (it has since been removed or I would link it) by a classmate. I just happened to save it for some reason?? I think because of the contrast between the grad photo and the most commonly used pic that I guess must have been a still shot during his initial media statement.

I think I also saw this same photo shared at some point in some of the macon.com comments, but I cannot place or recall for sure which group it was in, or if it appeared more than once.

I know you are sincerely scared as a Mercer mom, but I believe the first thing we care about is safety and justice for the Giddings' family. Income to the town really should not be a concern to the residents. That would be heartless.

Again, i am sure you will have a rebuttal for this entry, but I again point out Danny Rollings, Danny Rolling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, who killed five students back to back in the first few days of the Fall Semeter!! Sent everyone in a panic, UF almost 21 years ago became an all-boys school, since all the parents pulled their daughters out. UF and the town of Gviile recovered rather quickly. In fact, some people became very interested in gvile after the attention and some people couldn't even tell you who Rollings is. http://www.alligator.org/app/pt2/specials/rolling/memories.html

Of course justice and closure for Lauren's family is the foremost reason for wanting answers to this mystery. However, the safety of our city has a major impact on it's reputation and economy, not only for Mercer University but for many locals as well. Downtown fell into hard times several decades ago when businesses left and headed for the mall and suburbs. Much money and effort has been poured into downtown Macon in recent years now in order to revitalize it and turn it's reputation around so that it is perceived as a safe place to visit. There are many wonderful retail shops and eating establishments now mixed in with the medical and business office spaces. Downtown Macon is a beautiful place.

I am certain that those who have worked so hard and invested so much money into this area are very concerned for the Giddings and McDaniels families, and these people pray, along with the rest of the city, that Lauren gets the justice she deserves. However, at the end of the day, these same business owners are also concerned for the safety of their families, customers and our community as well as the fact that they have to pay their bills and put food on their own tables. If people are scared for their safety and choose not to visit this area it is a hardship for our city.

I don't work downtown or own a business there, but until the killer is identified, I worry for those who do. I feel your pain Psychomom. You probably will acquire many wrinkles and gray hairs in the time to come until you feel your daughter is safe. None of us want any family member or friend of a potential victim to ever have to suffer the way Lauren Giddings' family and friends have suffered. It's unbearable to try to imagine their pain. We are thinking of and praying for the Giddings family.

Stop and Read

This rule applies to online photo albums.

Do not link to Facebook, Myspace and other social networking sites associated with individuals, such as relatives and friends of victims and suspects. Generally, it is okay to link to a victim's page or a suspect's page.

Do not copy-and-paste posts or comments from these pages, or post screen shots of them.

If you have not reviewed the information at this link, do it now.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rules Etiquette & Information

I don't think an older photo where he may have had longer hair at some point in his youth negates the possibility that he was enjoying his last year of freedom from grooming requirements in 2011 as a rite of passage before entering the legal profession -- as many young men apparently do.

Agree, but it seems like almost all the old photos I've seen have him with long hair. I can only find one where it was short, and I can't tell how old he was in that one. I'm sure he could have cut it short before, but he could also have it pulled back in a ponytail in this photo. It's hard to tell. In a lot of the photos I've found, he has it pulled back.

No disrespect intended but what does the length of his hair have to do with his guilt or innocence? Most serial killers are clean cut and "normal" looking.

Is there a link for a replay of last night's broadcast about LG?

No disrespect intended but what does the length of his hair have to do with his guilt or innocence? Most serial killers are clean cut and "normal" looking.

I don't think it has any bearing on his guilt or innocence, and haven't seen anybody here suggest that it does. But some have wondered why he didn't clean up for court. I think that's a valid point to ponder.

if this photo post in anyway violates the TOS, please feel free to remove it.
I think this one can stand, currcat. It's pretty generic and was taken at a public event. What won't be allowed is snatching photos from a family member's online photo album and posting the images, or links to the images, here.

It was in response to an earlier post about him possibly not cutting his hair because of a tradition of sorts for law students that someone posted about. It was also questioned above why he's not cutting his hair to give the impression that he's innocent. A lot of comments have been made on other sites about his looks and connecting that to whether he's guilty or not (I don't agree but others make the connection).

Like some of you in this thread, I too "felt" that this was the work of a serial killer that hasn't been reported to/by the media. There are a few reasons why the media got to this one, imo; small town, "safe" by the accord of so many people, close to a Uni.

I think there is much, much more to this that we may never know, or want to.

I do wish that Laurens killer would be brought to justice. Her family deserves that.

Hello all. It has been a few years since I read or posted on this site, but I have been "catching up" with this thread for several days, going back to read all the way through. Please be patient with me as I relearn how to work all the tools, etc., here, as I'm sure I will make some goofs.

I am riveted by this case, for several reasons, but largely I'm sure because of its location here in the central Georgia area where I live. I grew up and have lived most of my life in a mostly-rural county neighboring Bibb County, where Macon is located. Going to Macon has been and still is for me "going to town" to do shopping or whatever. I have worked there and my daughter is a college (not Mercer) student there now.

I've been having insights and thoughts to share as I read through, but wanted to read all the way through before I jumped in. So no time like the present...

I have to say I don't know what to think about SM. It isn't looking good for him, IMO, though I can truthfully say I would like for things to turn out that he did not do this and be totally exonerated. Like some others indicated a few pages upstream, I feel a real sympathy and empathy toward him and his family. But I also have to admit that I had a weird reaction to him from the very first, when the interview with him first aired on local TV -- sort of an undercurrent thing, but definitely there. Seems a lot of folks did, though that in itself need not mean anything.

I also agree with what a few others have said (paraphrasing), that, unlike with some other POIs sometimes, I have a gut reaction that if he did this, he is very disturbed, probably in a way beyond his control. I don't see sociopath here (though of course I could be wrong) and that makes me feel this could be one of those "if only someone had intervened in this guy's life earlier" situations that are so incredibly sad to me, for everyone, from the victim and her family and friends to the perp and his.

Now to jump right into some thoughts...
(But ---OK, folks, can someone give me a dummies tutorial on how to quote a post...? I've tried everything I can find on the site, but can't seem to do it!! Sure I'm just missing something perfectly clear... The post I'm wanting to quote is back in thread #2, #603, where angelaanalyzes said -- and obviously this is not the correct way to do this, just need to get this post on out there so someone can help me --)

I see a scenario that could explain some of this very confusing (with only what we know now) stolen condoms issue.

Suppose (and again, I really don't WANT to) that SM is the perp. We know, from much discussion on here, that as sad and horrible as it is to think, LG may have been sexually attacked either before or after death or both. Suppose SM left used condoms or, even more likely, opened condom packages, in his apartment (a major slip-up, maybe, but so, one would think, if not done for display, is running out of time and trying to dispose of the torso in the trash by the apt.-- not thinking clearly, disorganized).

In LE questioning along whatever lines, perhaps SM volunteers that he is a virgin (and maybe that's true, in the normal sense). Then LE finds either used condoms or open packages and wants to know, "Well, what's with this, then?" SM maybe pleads masturbation of some sort. Maybe LE wants to know where and when he purchased the condoms...maybe letting on that condoms and/or packaging are traceable in some way, by lot number or whatever (and maybe they are?)

A run out to buy condoms at a critical point in the crime timeline may have occurred ... and wouldn't look good, and SM knows it, so he invents the story of taking them at some time in the past from neighboring apartments. To make it all sound real, he embroiders a lot of detail about where the neighbors kept the items, etc. -- as we have seen him go into detail about some other matters. That could be why LE apparently was trying to trace those now-moved-away neighbors, to see if the embroidery was true! I'm not saying that SM, with a master key, didn't browse around some apts. over time -- in fact, if he is the perp, that activity might have been much to the forefront of his thoughts, and just weaved itself right on into the story he was presenting.

Any of this sound plausible to y'all?

I agree with your observations! I think McD, guilty or innocent, is the type to over-share and over-detail stories when he's nervous. He's also probably quite intelligent and knows the value of misdirection. He's a freaking law school graduate, he must know how investigations work.
What confuses me is that I've heard he stole "2" condoms, nothing about boxes, and I can only assume if he did do that for the purpose of assaulting Lauren/her remains without leaving evidence, he got the condoms from one of those free condom bins [if not his neighbors]. I guess I have seen individual condom packets for sale but really it's smarter to take them from a free bin at the counter.

I am also glad to see someone else seems to get the exact same vibes from him that I do. I can't bring myself to hypothetically hate this kid even if he did it, and that isn't good news for the prosecution if/when he is indicted with shaky physical evidence [they are combing the heck out of those apartments, I'm guessing it's because they do have something against him but they don't feel it's enough for a jury yet].

I definitely did not mean any disrespect to LG or her family. My comments about the town being hurt by this go back to my questioning why Chief Burns would go on a national news show if he already had the perp in custody. There has not been a lot of press about this incident. And national news crews are not knocking down the door for information. I was simply pointing out the flaws with going public. To me, going national like that indicates they do not have the perp in custody and are seeking information from outside our area. While, yes, I am worried, it was not the source of that comment. It was an observation about one of the risks to the town that could be made by going national if it was not necessary.

There is something about him (McD) that ellicits sympathy.....

The pale awkward baby faced soft spoken nature makes it difficult to believe he could chop up a body.

But just like most of you..........that interview struck me as odd with an immediate hinky meter buzz. He spoke of Lauren like they were close yet I don't feel that they were, I suspect she felt sorry for him. He expressed dismay and concern yet it felt forced and insincere.

Perhaps a body language expert could comment on that interview.

Little details about victims always stick in my mind........with Lauren it's that she insisted on making 50 cupcakes with sunflowers on them for her sister getting married. That breaks my heart.

I still suspect the police have the right man and that he is deeply disturbed. I sort of hope I'm wrong though............

I wish all monsters..............looked like monsters.

I definitely did not mean any disrespect to LG or her family. My comments about the town being hurt by this go back to my questioning why Chief Burns would go on a national news show if he already had the perp in custody. There has not been a lot of press about this incident. And national news crews are not knocking down the door for information. I was simply pointing out the flaws with going public. To me, going national like that indicates they do not have the perp in custody and are seeking information from outside our area. While, yes, I am worried, it was not the source of that comment. It was an observation about one of the risks to the town that could be made by going national if it was not necessary.

I see your point..........I do. And you have every right to your opinion.
This is an emotionally charged case and if I had a child in this location I'd be analyzing every detail!

I am bothered by something and just can't seem to find what I am looking for or pinpoint exactly what is nagging me ... so I am going to start all over at the beginning.

link for the original missing person's report.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wmaz/docs/giddingsreport1.pdf

I have been confused and somewhat bothered by the back and forth on the bf (some very confident of his "exclusion" vs the posts that elude to his "powerfulness" / prestigous firm, etc.

I have never seen the bf's name in any article or post and I am pretty sure I have read them all, so I am wondering just how those that post with such certinanty about who he is, where he works, etc., etc., etc,. where exactly did that information come from? Can someone direct me to those links please.

This report does state that the bf IS in Calif. (not traveling as I have seen stated by some)

and it does state that the only thing they could not find as far as personal items was LG's Mercer Student ID, which I find kind of intriguing.

Who would want to take that? or could it be that since graduation she felt it wasn't needed anymore and tossed it already (would she have needed to show it to sit for the bar exam? or perhaps LG had lost it... anyone know any more about the student ID?

~snipped~
and it does state that the only thing they could not find as far as personal items was LG's Mercer Student ID, which I find kind of intriguing.

Who would want to take that? or could it be that since graduation she felt it wasn't needed anymore and tossed it already (would she have needed to show it to sit for the bar exam? or perhaps LG had lost it... anyone know any more about the student ID?

That had slipped my mind. The Mercer Student IDs are also keys. They can be used to open certain doors at the schools. That can include some dorms. I have to think someone at the school thought to disable hers since it was missing. If not, and SM is not the person, it means someone else could get into various locations at the colleges, possibly even dorm buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27