Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what can the family do with this ruling? Do they have to remain passive or can they order a court appointed investigation of her finances and test the inviolability of her trust fund as a possible source for immediate payment?

We need AZlawyer to aid us in these queries. :)

Although it's not enough, it will never be enough to repay the Alexanders for their loss, (and the Chutzpah of Jodi to ask what their donations were- none of her business!), and it will be extremely difficult to collect, at least Jodi now has a judgement against her, and hopefully it'll be taken out of her commissary money and any donations she collects before going to her legal fund.

It just would not have been official without a sidebar to start the proceedings.
And, IMO, JSS still went with the DT in her ruling. The Alexander family would have spent well in excess of $90,000 in travel expenses thanks to all the delays instigated by the DT.
So, everything normal except for the speed of the decision.

Well, then she certainly has the money to repay them. Gee, how generous of her to offer, NOT!!!
This 'restitution' granted by JSS is a complete joke. The total amount she awarded was approximately $31,560.00. That works out to $908.00 per year (7 years since Travis' murder) per sibling (5 siblings). I realize that each sibling was given a specific amount based on their own expenses, but basically the judge feels that each sibling deserves less than $1,000.00 for each year that they have been dealing with this nightmare. :gaah: I hope the Alexander's civil attorney finds every donation and appeal fund that is tied to the inmate and bleeds them completely dry! They can start with the $72K in the appeal fund that Willmott conveniently knows nothing about. :facepalm:

Although it's not enough, it will never be enough to repay the Alexanders for their loss, (and the Chutzpah of Jodi to ask what their donations were- none of her business!), and it will be extremely difficult to collect, at least Jodi now has a judgement against her, and hopefully it'll be taken out of her commissary money and any donations she collects before going to her legal fund.

If they asked for 90K as reported, and her attys thought that a bit high without documentation, I can see them being asked to show proof. But whatever they are claiming she cost them, if citizens donated to the Alexanders to help defray the costs of their travels/lodging/lost pay to attend court, I think it is not improper for def. attys to point out that some of their expenses have been covered, if that is in fact the case. And the defense can only know if they ask and are given documentation of donations collected.

It matters not, really. She can't pay more than a dime here and there. It is a formality more than anything, I believe. It is, however, an important step in the justice process, IMO. People should pay when they wreck havoc that costs other people. And to me, that's the purpose of the next phase, the wrongful death suit or whatever it's called in AZ. This hearing was for restitution, which is basically making one whole after a monetary loss. If they were made whole by other means I am not sure anyone can assume they should be compensated again.

I am on their side in all this...don't think I'm being mean. I'm just saying there may be laws governing what constitutes a "loss" financially. Loss emotionally, otoh, is something way different. I think Killer should pay through the nose for that.

Finally got to the video of the first of the computer files hearings - I may repeat some info already given during tweets when this was live but I want to post pertinent items from the hearings as I get through the videos:

Travis' laptop was set on Mountain Standard Time, since AZ doesn't recognize Daylight Saving Time, everything the computer shows was one hour later than actual time in June (Det. Flores woke it out of sleep mode at 10:27 a.m. according to the computer but it was actually 9:27 a.m.).

I wonder if the $90k could have included a calculation for lost wages. Or is the restitution purely for expenses incurred?

I wonder if the $90k could have included a calculation for lost wages. Or is the restitution purely for expenses incurred?

I have no doubt that they claimed lost wages. Look how many court days there were over a number of years! Even a well-meaning employer would not be in a position to foot the bill for all of that, or even most of it.

Maybe lost wages is what made up the difference between the ~31,000. awarded and the 90,000. asked for.

If they asked for 90K as reported, and her attys thought that a bit high without documentation, I can see them being asked to show proof. But whatever they are claiming she cost them, if citizens donated to the Alexanders to help defray the costs of their travels/lodging/lost pay to attend court, I think it is not improper for def. attys to point out that some of their expenses have been covered, if that is in fact the case. And the defense can only know if they ask and are given documentation of donations collected.

It matters not, really. She can't pay more than a dime here and there. It is a formality more than anything, I believe. It is, however, an important step in the justice process, IMO. People should pay when they wreck havoc that costs other people. And to me, that's the purpose of the next phase, the wrongful death suit or whatever it's called in AZ. This hearing was for restitution, which is basically making one whole after a monetary loss. If they were made whole by other means I am not sure anyone can assume they should be compensated again.

I am on their side in all this...don't think I'm being mean. I'm just saying there may be laws governing what constitutes a "loss" financially. Loss emotionally, otoh, is something way different. I think Killer should pay through the nose for that.

FWIW, I don't think the DT care one way or another about the money because there is no way the killer or the killer's family will ever pay for anything. That's one reason, again it's just my theory, that the killer's family claims to be victims and filed for bankruptcy. I think the DT is continuing to drag out the time taken by this phase of the case to make more demands which will take more time to study and resolve as an opportunity to get even more $ from the state than they already have. Since they are not involved in the cash cow of the appeal process, this is the last way to wring more money out of the people of AZ. It might help finance the DT while they write a book or a pitch a script or a set up a lecture tour.

As an added bonus, the DT can continue to belittle and harass the Alexander family through intrusive demands for information which are none of their business. I'm sure that any donations made to the family could have been used to cover legitimate expenses that would not have occurred if the killer had not killed their brother. For instance, medical expenses for counselling and medication alone would have been huge, not to mention needing help to deal with the stress from the slander promulgated by the DT for years as they stretched out the trial. As you say, krkrjx, this could be taken up in the civil suit. And it probably will not result in anything but, with luck and without JSS, a verdict that would prevent the killer or the killer's family from making a dime from the death of Travis Alexander.

FWIW, I don't think the DT care one way or another about the money because there is no way the killer or the killer's family will ever pay for anything. That's one reason, again it's just my theory, that the killer's family claims to be victims and filed for bankruptcy. I think the DT is continuing to drag out the time taken by this phase of the case to make more demands which will take more time to study and resolve as an opportunity to get even more $ from the state than they already have. Since they are not involved in the cash cow of the appeal process, this is the last way to wring more money out of the people of AZ. It might help finance the DT while they write a book or a pitch a script or a set up a lecture tour.

As an added bonus, the DT can continue to belittle and harass the Alexander family through intrusive demands for information which are none of their business. I'm sure that any donations made to the family could have been used to cover legitimate expenses that would not have occurred if the killer had not killed their brother. For instance, medical expenses for counselling and medication alone would have been huge, not to mention needing help to deal with the stress from the slander promulgated by the DT for years as they stretched out the trial. As you say, krkrjx, this could be taken up in the civil suit. And it probably will not result in anything but, with luck and without JSS, a verdict that would prevent the killer or the killer's family from making a (ANOTHER) dime from the death of Travis Alexander.
BBM - I added this because the inmate has already raked in thousands of dollars from her supporters and it needs to be stopped!

As an added bonus, the DT can continue to belittle and harass the Alexander family through intrusive demands for information which are none of their business. I'm sure that any donations made to the family could have been used to cover legitimate expenses that would not have occurred if the killer had not killed their brother. For instance, medical expenses for counselling and medication alone would have been huge, not to mention needing help to deal with the stress from the slander promulgated by the DT for years as they stretched out the trial. As you say, krkrjx, this could be taken up in the civil suit. And it probably will not result in anything but, with luck and without JSS, a verdict that would prevent the killer or the killer's family from making a dime from the death of Travis Alexander.

I believe they are honest and not asking for more than their actual losses. I am just saying I see nothing wrong with the other side wanting to know if, perhaps, any of the claimed expenses may have been covered by some other means. I think if they tried to say the Alexanders were lying in their claims, it's wrong on many levels...but from the little info I have on this restitution proceeding they asked to see donation amounts to determine what the balance of actual loss is currently. I can't stand them or their tactics and inferences and all that; still, I have no problem with them wanting to determine actual loss. I would want to determine that if someone sued me for a monetary loss.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...hoenix/restitution-hearing-set-for-jodi-arias

15 second clip of
Willmot saying Jodi is working hard to behave herself so she can get more visitation. Right now she gets one visit weekly, non contact

Jodi isn't doing very well in the behavior department if she's still only at the "one non-contact visit weekly" level! I'll bet she hasn't even read the required reading assignment which is subtitled something along the lines of "How to behave yourself in prison since you're going to be here forever, 101, for dummies, and this includes especially and particularly Jodi Arias". Oh, and there's some demonstrated self-searching which goes along with the reading phase. Right.

By the way, IIRC, Jodi's wages and commissary funds (even if donated) will be attached for restitution, perhaps as much as 50%. The state deducts it automatically. So, a restitution even of $30,000 (although that's a pittance) will make a huge impact on Jodi's prison lifestyle for a long time. Jodi is going to go berserk when she does the math and figures out that only half of what she'll earn cleaning toilets full-time for decades will rack up to her benefit. It'll take her all week just to pay for one Pepsi. Bwahahaha!

Jodi isn't doing very well in the behavior department if she's still only at the "one non-contact visit weekly" level! I'll bet she hasn't even read the required reading assignment which is subtitled something along the lines of "How to behave yourself in prison since you're going to be here forever, 101, for dummies, and this includes especially and particularly Jodi Arias". Oh, and there's some demonstrated self-searching which goes along with the reading phase. Right.

By the way, IIRC, Jodi's wages and commissary funds (even if donated) will be attached for restitution, perhaps as much as 50%. The state deducts it automatically. So, a restitution even of $30,000 (although that's a pittance) will make a huge impact on Jodi's prison lifestyle for a long time. Jodi is going to go berserk when she does the math and figures out that only half of what she'll earn cleaning toilets full-time for decades will rack up to her benefit. It'll take her all week just to pay for one Pepsi. Bwahahaha!
Just because Willmott says she's entitled to one, non-contact visit weekly, doesn't mean the inmate actually gets weekly visits from anyone. Most of her most ardent supporters either live out of state or out of the country, and the others won't pass the required background checks to get on the approved visitor list because of their criminal backgrounds. Even MDLR can't visit her anymore now that the case is officially over. :shame::jail::D

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...hoenix/restitution-hearing-set-for-jodi-arias

15 second clip of
Willmot saying Jodi is working hard to behave herself so she can get more visitation. Right now she gets one visit weekly, non contact

ROFLLLLLLL how "hard" can it be to behave oneself in prison, alone in a cage for 23 hrs a day?

That's always been so wrong to me; to hear defense attorneys state that their raping client has been behaving while in prison. Um. Yeah, not many women to rape in prison. Same with the pedophile clients not having access to children. How could they NOT be committing their crimes?

JW just asked Neumeister about Spybot S&D being on T's computer, she asked 'Spybot Search and Destroy, is that going to prevent Mr. Alexander from viewing *advertiser censored* on that computer?' Neu. says 'No' and she inquires 'Why not?' and he tells her 'It's not designed for that at all' - he thinks it's only for eliminating malware - 'It is not meant to block anything, it is not meant to block pop ups, it is not meant to stop any viruses, in 2008 it wasn't meant to....' No wonder these hearings went on forever before anyone realized that it was Spybot that put those links in the 'Restricted Sites' area of the browser. Mr. Expert who is testifying so ardently about all the *advertiser censored* on T's laptop has no idea whatsoever that which he is testifying about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong