2011.06.06 Sidebar (Trial Day Eleven)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the body language of Baez today (when doing cross or not) was just spellbinding, he was so angry at one stage he was trying to write and couldn't even get the words together, he was also continuously hovering over that mic button as if he was a contestant in a game show.

The defense can't go on like this - a human beings life is on the line and Mason needs to step up and tell Baez that he is tap dancing his client all the way into a death sentence. As funny as watching Baez is someone needs to take control otherwise a complete mockery is being made of the justice system.

The one that made me really really laugh today was the poster here who said something about "Mr Snugglephgus" and Sesame St after Baez tried 2/3 times to pronounce the Greek gentleman's name. That comment killed me.

:floorlaugh: Pardon me Darnudes, but I do believe the correct name is Mr. Snuffleupagus, who, if I may also point out, is not a chemist.

Slightly OT, and may have been mentioned before.......

I am reading a book called "Stiff" by Mary Roach. I think it is the 3rd chapter; she goes to visit Dr. Vass for her book. Very interesting.

Fantastic Book! I read it a while ago - I wonder where it went to...

Recommended reading - library usually has it (I may need to get another copy...checking kindle....)

My daughter as well. She even told me that she watched a bit Saturday while she was her friend's house. Ahh, two young WS'ers in training!

Coincidence - just got the last term report card, two B's, two A-'s, and two A's. She is officially smarter than a certain lawyer we watched today.

That's great! I recently heard that kids no longer dissect real frogs in school, is that true?

A lot of people use divining rods to locate water, very successfully.
That's as old as the hills.
Just another example of the breadth of ignorance of JB.

As we all know, JB is trying to make Dr. Vass look like a freaky dude who happened to end up testifying in this case.

Even if there were skeptics on the jury, what JB did just violates any sense of fair play, IMO. I think that will matter to the jury. Not cool.

Well here is the thing about circumstantial evidence. You have multiple witnesses with experience in smelling decomp testify that they smelled decomp. Next you have the grave wax, air analysis, cadaver dog hits (not in evidence as of yet). It's not that any one of those definitively says a dead body was in the car. It's the whole picture and when you place that evidence together with one another that it eliminates any other possible answer. The only conclusion from looking at all of those together is that there was indeed a dead body in the trunk imo.

I really wish the SA could let the jury smell those sealed cans.

RBBM, Marspiter, and I am right with you there! But as much as those cans have been paraded in front of them, and as much hay as the defense has made over this part of the evidence, I will not be surprised one bit if the jury asks for the cans & to be able to smell them during their deliberations... (I sure hope so at least...)

I could not help but think about the pioneer scientists and researchers during this testimony and wonder if Benjamin Franklin would have been questioned in such a manner when he discovered electricity.:floorlaugh:

LOL. Well, Galileo was! I wonder if he's bitter about Pluto too..

I think it's perfectly normal to question a new theory as a defense lawyer or a scientist, but the fact that JB was so rude and obnoxious while doing it turned me off.

Oh, I'm off to watch the hearing again - I want to concentrate fully on Dr Vass this time and watch history in the making again.

Keep your tinfoil hats on peeps, I'm sure Baez will be snooping later. :)

Even Dr. Drew stated last night on his show that "it's impossible to like this girl." And that's saying a lot!

BBM

Yes, it is...especially considering his statements on the first day of the trial; in which he all but said he believed all of the DT's OS, thought ICA had a drug problem and implied she was "the victim" of the case.

LOL - guess he finally read / caught up!

I thought the whole point of Sims being there was to cross the medical/science experts. I was surprised when it was Baez today.

This is so very odd to me too. I think another poster nailed it about this going in the law books and Baez wanting to do the cross. There was no good reason for Baez to do cross over DCS.

DCS is the expert at crossing scientific witnesses. She would not have fumbled the names, spelling, etc. She wouldn't have come up with so many object-sustained questions. It feels like she is doing all the work and he is getting all the er... glory..? Well he would but for the part where he cannot deliver the lines well and can't react quickly to unforeseen answers like she could have.

I also have to wonder if DCS is happy about this?

bobkealing tweeted:

Should have sheriffs cadavor dog handlers in short order to confirm positive hits on trunk and Anthony home.
3 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Whoa..Just thought I could pop back in to say and remind peeps..that Dr. Vass is no verteran testifying expert..IIRC this is the first time he has ever testified in a courtroom..and his ability to withstand such a convoluting cross just proved the intelligence, expertise of this man (Dr. Vass)..He did this NOT for money..and certainly was NOT a PAID EXPERT..but a True Scientist testifying to his work,results and findings and quite capable to deflecting suggestions of faulty protocols, methodology and most..Findings were NOT "bought and paid for" by anybody..

Dr. Vass is one wonderful, unsullied man who not only loves what he does ( almost childlike when recounting his works :innocent:)..but would never ever compromise it for profit..JMO

Dr. Vass, on behalf of Caylee and all those who wish for justice here..TY TY TY!!..You Rock!!:great:

Has anyone figured out what they would be able to eat for dinner tonight?
I thought I had it nailed down with Jell-o ,but then thinking about the texture....

Any ideas? Shall we just start fasting now?

Vegetable fajitas with guacamole, corn on the cob and a side of spanish rice :great:

But you have to judge each individual technique on it's own merits. That is based on the research and protocols which buttress any relatively new technique.

If I were a juror I would find Casey's own words to be the main reason I would be strongly leaning toward guilt at this point. I just haven't heard anything that definitively says there was a dead body in the trunk (although I believe there was as merely a trial watcher who does not have the weight of deciding justice on my shoulders). I would discount the tow yard worker's testimony because his credentials were vague. I would question George's testimony because he didn't immediately call 911 for whatever reason. And, as I have posted today, I would have reservations about Vass' testimony. I believe there was also a forensic technician of some sort who also testified about decomposition but I can't judge his testimony because I wasn't able to pay attention to it.

CF, I would agree with you, except GCMS isn't a new technique.

Heck, 10 years ago I worked for a flavors and fragrance company. They would collect odors on charcoal, take them back to the lab, break them down, get chem composition and store it away for future use. (I didn't do that for them, because I am not a chemist!! ;)) And it wasn't a new technique then. Compare, subtract background, what's left is the signature.

I honestly don't see what Vass was doing (or his colleagues were doing) that was new or untested, except the samples themselves were unique and the method he helped invent that collected some of the trial samples.

The adipocere to me presented a problem as a stand-alone, simply because they haven't identified any 'signature' in it that would determine its origin or link it to humans specifically. So to me Baez best argument would have been to focus more on that, and not on "could it have come from a chicken", because that sounds ridiculous.

That's great! I recently heard that kids no longer dissect real frogs in school, is that true?

I am in CA - my daughter is in high school and she did a cat and a piglet this year in anatomy....

Does anyone know the link to watch Nancy Grace online later?

Well here is the thing about circumstantial evidence. You have multiple witnesses with experience in smelling decomp testify that they smelled decomp. Next you have the grave wax, air analysis, cadaver dog hits (not in evidence as of yet). It's not that any one of those definitively says a dead body was in the car. It's the whole picture and when you place that evidence together with one another that it eliminates any other possible answer. The only conclusion from looking at all of those together is that there was indeed a dead body in the trunk imo.

I really wish the SA could let the jury smell those sealed cans.

You said it perfectly! And didn't she just leave her car parked somewhere unattended for days? Theorizing here: her friends and her boyfriend had cars. Any of them could've went with her to re-fill her gastank. But no, Casey knew about the foul smell coming from inside the trunk. So she dumped the car, hoping someone would steal it, so she could blame it all on them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong