Junior Seau Dead at 43

Nothing firther in the media about this...I want to know more. Who called LE and was he depressed?

From what I am hearing it was suicide a gumshot to the Chest . Same way a Defensive Back from the Bears Bureson commited it a few years back so his brain could be studied.
I willing to say concussions are going to be part of this in the end.
Either way SAd News for any fan of the NFL Great player even if not on your team.

R U KIDDING ME. I'm a San Diego Charger Fan, a frequent visitor of Seau's in Mission Valley (it closed today btw).

I am in shock - he was an incredible man who did SO much for the youth of San Diego. My DH will be so sad to hear this news :(

Here's an updated article from our paper this morning:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/02/report-of-shooting-at-seaus-home/

I don't know why he did it, but if anyone is feeling depressed or sucidal - make a phone call, contact a friend - something!

Hugs,

Mel

Girlfriend called LE at 9:35 a.m. PDT; had returned to residence to find Seau unconscious with a gunshot wound to the chest.

Case investigated as suicide. Handgun was found near body.

Attempts to resuscitate Seau were performed but were unsuccessful.

(from initial public statement by LE)

local television has been interruped due to this (suicide??). He was loved by the entire county - this is such a tragic loss.

Mel

This news is shocking but I can't say it's surprising after the 2010 incident. To me that seemed a cry for help. So sad.

Interesting that there's not yet been a presser. The chief, after making his brief statement hours ago now, said a spokesperson would be out "to answer your questions" in the next 15 minutes. Nothing since then though.

Police: Junior Seau found dead at California home
By GILLIAN FLACCUS, AP
25 minutes ago

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — Former NFL star Junior Seau was found shot to death at his home Wednesday morning in what police said appeared to be a suicide. He was 43.

Police Chief Frank McCoy said Seau's girlfriend reported finding him unconscious with a gunshot wound to the chest and lifesaving efforts were unsuccessful. A gun was found near him, McCoy said.

Seau's mother appeared before reporters, weeping uncontrollably.

"I don't understand ... I'm shocked," Luisa Seau cried out.

Her son gave no indication of a problem when she spoke to him by phone earlier this week, she said.

"He's joking to me, he called me a `homegirl,'" she said...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20120502/FBN.Obit.Seau/?cid=hero_media

A shock, indeed, at least to those of us who didn't know him personally. Obviously, I can't speak for his family and friends.

I'm always surprised when someone attempts suicide with a gunshot to the chest. How can s/he be sure to hit the right organ? (I mean as opposed to a shot to the head, where the location of the brain is pretty well indicated.)

His mom made me cry. Take Me Lord, and she MEANT it. I am so sorry for her.

But I am suspicious still myself. He has 3 kids. I am surprised that he would shoot himself at home, in the chest, with three kids at home. I do not understand this, at all.

A shock, indeed, at least to those of us who didn't know him personally. Obviously, I can't speak for his family and friends.

I'm always surprised when someone attempts suicide with a gunshot to the chest. How can s/he be sure to hit the right organ? (I mean as opposed to a shot to the head, where the location of the brain is pretty well indicated.)

Very sad news for the Seau family.

With regards to your comment about suicide by gunshot wound to the chest. I think those with training such as LE, the military, special ops of some sort, and perhaps those with medical training would know exactly where to shoot and not miss their heart. I've actually heard the heart has fewer misses than the brain/head. (think along exit wounds...)

Suicide is always a very sad option. My prayers go out to the Seau family.

His mom made me cry. Take Me Lord, and she MEANT it. I am so sorry for her.

But I am suspicious still myself. He has 3 kids. I am surprised that he would shoot himself at home, in the chest, with three kids at home. I do not understand this, at all.

his kids weren't there...he hadn't seen them in about 3 weeks

Very sad news for the Seau family.

With regards to your comment about suicide by gunshot wound to the chest. I think those with training such as LE, the military, special ops of some sort, and perhaps those with medical training would know exactly where to shoot and not miss their heart. I've actually heard the heart has fewer misses than the brain/head. (think along exit wounds...)

Suicide is always a very sad option. My prayers go out to the Seau family.

Thank you for the explanation. I do know that if the gun is at certain angles, bullets will deflect off the skull; so that method isn't a guarantee of success either.

Okay, enough talk about the "how" of suicide. I meant no disrespect.

When former Bears great Dave Duerson shot himself fatally in the chest, he left a note asking for examination of his brain during autopsy to document injuries received playing years of football - and they were found, and quite probably contributed to his depression and other symptoms which drove him to kill himself. If Junior Seau indeed shot himself in the chest, many will believe, whether he left a note or not, that he suffered the same symptoms as Duerson - Seau's well-documented plunge off a cliff in his vehicle following a 2010 incident and subsequent arrest following an encounter with his girlfriend, he said at the time, was a result of his having fallen asleep at the wheel; but many viewed this as a suicide attempt and a cry for help - and he accordingly chose his target for the same reason, so as not to destroy the brain but to leave it for examination.

there was a presser......i watched on tmz

was your post before it because i can't remember the time it was

I believe JS had some issues a year or so ago...drove his truck over a cliff, or nearly did so? I do believe this is probably a suicide...JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcerPacer
Back