OK - Donald 'Joe' Neff, 61, Poteau, 14 May 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
(((hugs))) to everyone!!! thank you all so much. We do not have the me report yet. We are still waiting on it. We have called and they said they are not finished yet. Yes it is scary to think that I may have spoken with the killer. My dad helped so many people, I could not name them all. There were over a thousand people at his funeral and we had tons of calls of people who were unable to attend. My dad was friends with everyone. He helped everyone he could, anytime he got the chance. It made him happy to help people. He loved people. Thats why he opened the bar 9 years ago. A place to hang out and laugh with friends. I cannot really imagine him ever telling someone no. He helped everyone. He felt that if they asked for it, they needed it worse than he did. He would go without before he would deny someone anything they needed. I have never known a more generous person. He was so smart though. I find it so hard to accept that someone fooled him. He was too careful. I pray the answers come soon. Thank you all for the continued prayers. It has kept me lifted up. Only God has carried me through. I am so sad to say that the killer is still walking free. The special task force is still on the case though. The OSBI, FBI, US Marshals they will catch the killer soon. It is only a matter of time. I pray they are arrested before they kill again. I do not want another family to go through this. I look at all the victims on this site and wonder why the killers walk free, or get released. If more judges, and jurors would have to live through a tragedy like this a guarantee they would make sure the death penalty would happen a lot more often and quickly. Thank you everyone. I will be on again soon.

by the way.... I have been e-mailing unsolved mysteries, nancy grace, 48 hrs mystery, cold case files, john walsh, good morning america, 20/20, 60 minutes, and everywhere else I can think of. I have heard that I have to keep this in the media- does anyone have any ideas on how to help me do this? so far when i e-mail, it goes to thier legal dept. I sure would like for my dads case to get heard all over. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Or if you have a famous relative, or someone in the news. thanks so much!!! marie

MMD my prayers are with you. I lost my daddy to an illness 7 years ago and it has broken my heart everyday since. I miss him so very much . It must be so very much harder for you loosing your father in such a violent way. I will pray that God watches over you and opens the eyes of the investigators so that they may see the monster behind this!

I read this thread from start to finish last night. When I started it, I just knew that there would be an arrest by the time I got to the end of it! :( I am SO sorry that has not occurred yet. MMD, your pain is so evident through your posts. I wish there was a magic formula to take that pain away but my guess is, it will never go away, only be more tolerable on some days than others.

Is there any reason you and your family have not contacted a Private Investigator? I think, at this point, this is the best way to get answers to your questions. They can be REALLY helpful from what I have seen on WS!

I wish you the best of luck and will pray not only for your pain but for these evil men (I do believe more than 1 was involved) will be found and justice served.

Might be worth running a background on the girlfriend's new boyfriend. If she has an alibi she may still have been involved indirectly. I find it somewhat concerning that she was able to move on and drop all association with the family so quickly, especially in a small town.

I very much agree with this line of thinking. I knew Joe - not all that well, but considered him part of the family - and agree with MMD that it is hard to accept that someone would have been able to surprise him.

My personal opinion since I heard of his murder is that someone he did know or recognize, showed up at the bar. I think it is likely that this person was accompanied by a stranger (to Joe), who probably was the killer.

Joe was very down-to-earth, friendly, outgoing, and exceedingly kind. I know that people read this and don't get a true picture of how good of a person he truly was. He was not a "sucker" - he was well respected and enjoyed life. He was just a caring, happy person, and I was very blessed to know him.

Sorry for the sideline comment - back to this post:

I think that more background checks on people associated with the gf should have been done. I strongly believe that the killer was someone from outside of Poteau, but working WITH someone there in LeFlore county.

Also, has anyone considered previous gfs, who might have been harboring jealousy that he broke up with them and never gave them another "chance", possibly could have snapped? The only way I really can even picture Joe being surprised in an attack, was if there was a woman around - he was a true gentleman and probably would not have been instinctively defensive at first if a woman was present. I haven't heard anyone mention this possibility before, so maybe I'm way off base, but it's worth bringing up in my opinion.

MMD, it makes me so sick to hear that LE is still not giving you any information.

You are always in my prayers.

Welcome to Websleuths Sympathetic Friend!

And you too JHOL74 (even though we've conversed before!). Sorry I didn't welcome you earlier.

Thank you SympatheticFriend. I try to tell everyone how great he was but knowing him in person just cannot be explained. I am a better person because of him. I believed in myself because he told me I could do anything I wanted. I agree with that line of thinking, a familiar face and a stranger. It makes sense to me. If a woman was there he would not have been alarmed at all. I can ask LE to check her but I really have NO PULL what so ever. I know one thing for sure, my dad was wise. He knew how the world worked. He was NOT NAIVE. I wish I could figure out how they tricked or suprised him. I just want this case to be over.
I am desperate to find justice for my dad. To sleep an entire night again. To be able to walk to my car outside after dark. To not feel panic when I start to leave Wal-Mart and realize that it is already starting to get dark, and wonder how I will get to my car safe. Then how will I get into my house safe once I get there. To go through an entire night without worry that the killer may break in and kill or abduct my kids. Just as they did with my dad.
Then I get on this website and I look at all the people that have been affected by violent crime. I know I am not the only one. I want everyone who reads this to know that I pray God bless everyone who reads this.
Are there any FBI profilers out there reading this? I ask because since dads murder I have been facsinated with how they can profile a case. I wonder if anyone out there has any ideas on the perp. Since I may know the person, if someone could tell me the type of person that we may be looking for. It may raise a flag for us close to the case.

MMD....good question regarding the profilers....have you ever heard of the Vidocq Society? They are based out of Pennsylvania. A group of retired (I believe) detectives who meet every month to solve/work on cold cases. They have been profiled on a lot of Cold Case Files, Forensic Files, many books I have read, etc. (I'm an avid true crime reader). Anyway, you might want to email them, I don't know what their protocol is but it sure couldn't hurt to get some feedback from them or they could possibly point you in the right direction? I hope. They do amazing work from what I understand.

mmd....good question regarding the profilers....have you ever heard of the vidocq society? They are based out of pennsylvania. A group of retired (i believe) detectives who meet every month to solve/work on cold cases. They have been profiled on a lot of cold case files, forensic files, many books i have read, etc. (i'm an avid true crime reader). Anyway, you might want to email them, i don't know what their protocol is but it sure couldn't hurt to get some feedback from them or they could possibly point you in the right direction? I hope. They do amazing work from what i understand.

thanks blondie!!!! I have never heard of them but i will e-mail them right away. You are right, it can't hurt. With all the people on here you would think that there is an fbi profiler out there. It would be so much easier if i knew what type of person i was looking for. At this point i feel like everyone is a suspect, sorry to all the innocent people out there. I know it is supposed to be the other way around, but when something this horrible happens so close in your family. There is no time to be stupid or naive. So i am afraid and cautious around everyone until i am proven otherwise. Thanks so much everyone. (((((hugs)))))

okay i went to the website for the Vidocq Society, and it seems like it would be great for some cases. BUT the cases have to be over 2 years old. so dads would not meet the criteria. i copied this page....maybe someone can post the website where it should go.

Case Intake

A Vidocq Society investigation can begin only after we are contacted by a family member or law enforcement agency asking us to review an unsolved cold case. A family member making a request must have standing in the case. In all cases the investigating law enforcement agency must welcome our help.

For The Vidocq Society to consider an unsolved death or homicide case, our by-laws require that:

the death must have occurred at least two years prior;
the victim cannot have been engaged in dangerous or illicit activity of any kind;
if presented to a meeting by law enforcement or an investigator with standing in the matter no family members may be present; and
We will not provide updates or other information to the family.
If a case were adopted by the Society we would not submit progress or other reports to the family. Any information release would be determined by law enforcement and disseminated by them.

Does anyone have contact info for all of the major networks? Perhaps if a large number of us contact them concerning MMD's dad's case, we will be able to get her some national exposure. Just a thought! If anyone has the info, please post it and I will start sending e-mails. Hopefully we can get a lot of WS's to do the same! This case has touched me more than any other I have read here.
I think about you and your dad daily, MMD. I will continue to pray for you. <3

Does anyone have contact info for all of the major networks? Perhaps if a large number of us contact them concerning MMD's dad's case, we will be able to get her some national exposure. Just a thought! If anyone has the info, please post it and I will start sending e-mails. Hopefully we can get a lot of WS's to do the same! This case has touched me more than any other I have read here.

thanks!! that would be great. I cannot thank you enough. I have only a few numbers...Good Morning America is 212-456-5900, then on most of the shows like 60 minutes you go to the website of that station, select contact us, then it goes thru a legal department. I am sure they get thousands daily. I would sure like to get this heard. I hope it doesn't take years more to find the killer. I tell ya if you would have known my dad, he was the best. His death has really hurt this town. He helped so many people, now what will they do? I appreciate ANYTHING that ANYONE can do. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

okay guys...I'm really new at doing this...I will try to move the media list I obtained from the Sarah Rodgers file over here...forgive me if I mess it up...but it I was amazing how WS members flooded media outlets with emails and she finally received attention after being ignored forever and a day. I am still impressed about that obviously. Someone called it the WS "media awareness campaign"!

MMD...I'm so sorry that it didn't work regarding the Vidocq Society...I was really hoping that would be a viable lead for you. And yes, you would think that with all of the readers on this board that there would be ONE profiler at least. Please continue to have faith. I believe there are more readers here on this thread than you know. Something
will happen.

Will post the list shortly...

ABCNEWS77 W. 66 St., New York, NY 10023
Phone: 212-456-7777

General e-mail: netaudr@abc.com
Nightline: nightline@abcnews.com
20/20: 2020@abc.com

CBS News
524 W. 57 St., New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212-975-4321
Fax: 212-975-1893
Email forms for all CBS news programs
CBS Evening News: evening@cbsnews.com
The Early Show: earlyshow@cbs.com
60 Minutes II: 60m@cbsnews.com
48 Hours: 48hours@cbsnews.com
Face The Nation: ftn@cbsnews.com

CNBC
900 Sylvan Avenue, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
Phone: (201) 735-2622
Fax: (201) 583-5453
Email: info@cnbc.com

CNN
One CNN Center, Box 105366, Atlanta, GA 30303-5366
Phone: 404-827-1500
Fax: 404-827-1784
Email forms for all CNN news programs

Fox News Channel
1211 Ave. of the Americas, New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 301-3000
Fax: (212) 301-4229
comments@foxnews.com List of Email addresses for all Fox News Channel programs
Special Report with Bret Baier: Special@foxnews.com
FOX Report with Shepard Smith: Foxreport@foxnews.com
The O'Reilly Factor: Oreilly@foxnews.com
Hannity: Hannity@foxnews.com,
On the Record with Greta: Ontherecord@foxnews.com
Glenn Beck: GlennBeck@foxnews.com

MSNBC/NBC
30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112
Phone: (212) 664-4444
Fax: (212) 664-4426
List of Email addresses for all MSNBC/NBC news programs
Dateline NBC: dateline@nbcuni.com
Hardball with Chris Matthews: hardball@msnbc.com
MSNBC Reports with Joe Scarborough: joe@msnbc.com
NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: nightly@nbc.com
NBC News Today: today@nbc.com

MMD...

I will email these outlets today and continue to do so,,,maybe they will just get tired of hearing from me and hopefully that will lead to some attention? I hope so! It certainly can't hurt.

Your dad sounds like a true gentleman is every sense of the word and a true prince of a guy. What a wonderful way to live one's life - always helping others and to be remembered in such a positive way.

Hang in there.

Good idea JH....as I noted earlier, a bunch of us sent in a mass of emails for Sarah Rodgers and finally were able to get her some media attention. I did attempt the same with Bryce Tarter on his thread but not so much luck there. Am hoping we have better luck here for Joe. He sounds like such a great and giving man.

WHO MURDERERED of Joe Nuff

(July 31, 1947 - May 14, 2009)

Please add or update information

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2009/05/23/obituaries/all_obituaries/obits05.txt

Was Gf mentioned in obit above?

http://www.4029tv.com/news/19467846/detail.html#

Joe Neff was last seen at about 9 a.m Thursday in a local store. Prior to that, a female friend of his reported seeing Neff at around 7 a.m., said LeFlore County Sheriff Bruce Curnutt.

Joe Neff was discovered missing Thursday May 14, 2009, 62 yr old Joe Neff's black Chevy SUV that was parked at the scene Long Branch Saloon, 68155 US 59, near Poteau
What evidence was found inside the saloon--> definitely signs of a struggle and an injury inside. "We do believe that the bar owner Joe Neff may be injured. Several individuals were interviewed as persons of interest They found blood on his cowboy hat in the bar

The saloon was equipped with security cameras, but authorities have yet to review/disclose any footage. There is a surveillance camera that still remains in the bar. LE said hey had the tape from this system. However, they would never say if it captured what happened in the bar.

The day Neff disappeared, witnesses told investigators they saw an older model red pickup parked at the bar. That vehicle has never been found. Gf has red truck??

Neff kept a safe inside a room in his Poteau home. Investigators said thousands of dollars were taken from the safe.

interviewed people who have been banned from the bar, but nothing came up during the interviews that led police to believe someone had held a grudge. Neff has not had to ban anyone from the bar recently.

Investigations spent much of Friday at Neff’s home, on Country Club Road, just outside of Poteau city limits. Authorities conducted a ground search for Neff Friday: however, but planned to expand the search today and Sunday to include bodies of water.

Deputies have also been conducting searches near the bar, including land near Long Lake and the Poteau River What lead LE to these areas?? Was Joe found closer to his house or bar??

Sunday evening at approximately 8 p.m. May 17, 2009 Neff's body found floating in a strip mining pit on McKenzie Road in Pocola. Died from a gunshot wound

http://www.4029tv.com/news/22503039/detail.html

http://missingexploited.com/2009/05...s-of-a-struggle-in-bar-update-found-deceased/

I cannot really imagine him ever telling someone no. He helped everyone. He felt that if they asked for it, they needed it worse than he did. He would go without before he would deny someone anything they needed. I think it is likely that this person was accompanied by a stranger (to Joe), who probably was the killer.

Previous gfs??? who might have been harboring jealousy that he broke up with them

This in and of itself made him a 'sought-after target'. Word gets out that "Joe Neff bailed me out; feeds us free on Sundays - carries/deals with a lot of cash and is retiring soon". All of those actions translate into "great opportunity for money" to more desperate, cunning folk.

We're also told from the get-go, LE claimed "this was personal"...

You then wrote something quite poignant - very early on - regarding the (good) advice your dad gave you: "Don't ever lend more than you're willing to give away...".
there may be one or more whom your father decided he was not prepared to give any more?

That/those person/s may have known your father's footsteps and habits; known the best time to approach him; known his 'cash-run' timings and therefore it may very well have been your own father who took the 'missing thousands' from the safe - not for the life of him believing he'd be murdered - he left the safe door open as he may easily have done previously if in a rush, then locked the internal door - and left.

However, when he reached the bar - he may have allowed a familiar face to come in (he knew him, felt safe, if not in control) whom he'd helped before. When he said no - he may have been literally taken by surprise & side-swiped. A bloody fight ensued and the 'thousands' he himself may have taken from the safe could have been stolen . He may have been shot so as not to identify the perp and bundled into another vehicle. He could have been taped up semi-conscious so as not to arouse suspicion; the perp may not have been convinced he was dead or - to stop him defending himself.

Do we know for certain: Where the real actual crime scene was:at home where the safe was or at the bar where a struggle and cowboy hat with blood and his vehicle was??

Could Joe have been taken at his home and the cowboy hat "planted" at the bar, and a struggle was "staged"? & his vehicle" placed in lot?

The perp may not even have known about the $740 in his top pocket... but took his cigarettes he's possibly a smoker) cell phone and keys. He's definitely local, definitely knew your dad - probably even went to the funeral. Are there any tapes of the funeral? Would you (and those close to Joe), all this time later, be able to identify those he'd helped out? Maybe this person would have wanted no waves; just blend in and be a part of a bigger crowd...

If you haven't seen the ME report - you wont know if there was water on his lungs (very sorry to be graphic - I'm just spelling out my thoughts.
Greed, sex, drugs, rock n roll and alcohol are key reasons for murder. The ghastly final act being of revenge ---> no witnesses & utter paranoia.
To Joe's daughters: Please ensure you write a formal letter to ME in order that you recieve ALL documentation and findings...otherwise you will have more delay in findings.

At the actual crime scene the vehicles behind the sheriffs tape are...the car belongs to the first customer and the red truck belongs to the gf. The OSBI checked both vehicles before they were released. No LE vehicle was taken behind the tape. The crime scene was discovered a bit before noon and Sheriffs and OSBI stayed until early the next morning collecting evidence and studying the crime scene.

there were a few passerbys that had seen a red truck??. the road around the bar is slightly downhill from the bar. you can tell this from the pictures on kay sullivans realty website. so if you drove by the bar you actually made a semi circle around the edge of the property. maybe if you were driving by and not knowing you would need to recall what you saw, the vehicles may look smaller from down the slight decline to the road. i do not think her vehicle is one of interest. they checked it over before it was released and also verified that she(Gf) was at work at her other job before she went to bar to work.

Yes he did use the bank. No he was not planning any large transactions. The Long Branch was a karaoke bar, with 2 pool tables. The juke box had a variety of music with country and rock. He served popcorn and had other snacks available. They served beer and wine coolers only.

My dad did not want to buy another bar. He actually would have sold the Long Branch. It took up a lot of time, it was more of a hobby/hang out for him. The gf(45?)the employee who called authorities was the girlfriend of Neff. Neff's girlfriend who came to open the bar that day. She found blood inside, and Neff's trademark cowboy hat had been left behind. Neff's SUV was still parked outside of the bar, but he was nowhere to be found.

Gf has another bf and has not been heard from in months. Her bf now is/may be older as well. some traffic tickets and dui on her record. Nothing else that i know of. She has not contacted us in several months

girlfriend's new boyfriend(information)--->

I had a news interview with Channel 40/29 News out of Ft Smith Ark. yesterday. The big story is going to air on Monday night at 10 pm. This is also about Jody Wilson too.

in jody's thread that she apparently knew the owners of "the bar" in poteau, and supposedly it was sold shortly after jody went missing on may 5. Wondering if joe was interested in buying that business, and somebody else didn't want that to happen.

Fired Oklahoma examiner http://www.newsok.com/fired-oklahom...2?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0fAnplvxY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn