Police Kicked Out Of Belleville Denny’s For Being Armed

TrackerSam

Reaction score
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (KMOX) – Belleville police chief Bill Clay is ordering his officers to get their pancakes from anywhere but Denny’s, calling the restaurant “political stupidness.”

The new orders come after a New Year’s Day clash between five detectives and one Denny’s manager.

The department says the detectives were out of uniform but wearing their badges, when manager David Rice asked them to either leave or put their guns in their vehicle.
<modsnip>

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/01/03/dennys-kick-out-belleville-police-for-being-armed/

There went 3/4 of that Denny's income. Lol.

I can see customers being upset, but, wouldn't the better approach be to have the manager ask why they had them and return to tell the customers that they were LE? Even show a badge to the upset table?

There went 3/4 of that Denny's income. Lol.

I can see customers being upset, but, wouldn't the better approach be to have the manager ask why they had them and return to tell the customers that they were LE? Even show a badge to the upset table?

They were "out of uniform but wearing their badges".

"Denny’s customers said the presence of police and their guns was not an issue."

You have to ask a police officer "why he's wearing a gun"? :what:

I've never seen an officer without a gun. Oh I get it......crime takes a coffee break when the police take a coffee break. I forgot about that.

General Manager Michael Van walked up and corrected the manager and said it was fine for them to stay, but the officers said it would be too awkward and they left.

The sheer stupidity of it all leaves me speechless!

im sure if those officers had left their weapons in their car and stayed then something unfortunate happened in the restaurant he would be blaming them for not being armed. Sheer stupidity. Would it have made a difference if they were in uniform?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

im sure if those officers had left their weapons in their car and stayed then something unfortunate happened in the restaurant he would be blaming them for not being armed. Sheer stupidity. Would it have made a difference if they were in uniform?!

I think they're on duty 24/7. And I think the manager that told them to leave knew they were cops.

"Rice, told the detectives that one of their weapons, specifically a female detective&#8217;s gun, was making another diner feel uncomfortable."

If Rice didn't know they were police, Rice would have called the police when he was told about the female's gun. Instead he walks up to this group of armed people and tells them that because they're packing, they'll have to leave the guns in the car or get out? No! He absolutely knew what they were.

<shakes head>

long ago, when i worked late,(11-7 shift) i would stop by a dunkin donuts BECAUSE i knew there were armed police inside. weekend nights i would ask them to swing by my store if they were near there. they would slowly pull through the gas pumps and wave and blink lights at me several times a shift. LOL (i also carried a concealed weapon at all times in those days, but NOTHING is as deterrent as a COP on DUTY.

most people can spot a cop by the way they carry themselves, or at least i can.
this is just ridiculous...

Specifically the female's gun? say what? Customer is crazy for being uncomfortable with police officers, and seems kinda sexist as well. What about the females gun versus the males gun was so scary??
They should have asked that customer to leave instead for being sexist and dumb. IMO

Okay, let me get this straight...

A group of off-duty police officers in plain clothes show up to a family restuarant. It appears to me that their badges were not visible to the naked eye or a concerned customer would not have reported it to a manager in the first place.

A manager, who has probably been told that guns are prohibited from being inside that family restaurant tells the officers they have to leave or put their guns in their vehicle. However, the General Manager, who would know better, corrects the situation, but the officers leave anyways.

Now there is a call for all officers to boycott Denny's by the chief/sheriff? It was a simple misunderstanding between a bunch of officers who should have had their badges visible, a concerned customer, and an unknowing manager.

The chief/sheriff needs to grow up.

I think they're on duty 24/7. And I think the manager that told them to leave knew they were cops.

"Rice, told the detectives that one of their weapons, specifically a female detective’s gun, was making another diner feel uncomfortable."

If Rice didn't know they were police, Rice would have called the police when he was told about the female's gun. Instead he walks up to this group of armed people and tells them that because they're packing, they'll have to leave the guns in the car or get out? No! He absolutely knew what they were.

I don't know if he knew they were cops? There are many people who have a permit to carry weapons, but a lot of places prohibit them from being in the building. I've had many managers ask customers to put their guns/knives into their cars before entering the bar I work at. They never call the cops before asking?

I believe he may very well have not known they were cops until the cops showed them their badge (which was most likely in their wallet and no on their plain clothes). He was probably told that only uniformed officers could wear guns. A General Manager corrected him and told the officers to stay. The officers are the ones who left. Making a bigger deal out of it than they should have. Why would they feel uncomfortable if it was absolutely innocent on their part? I could easily see these officers giving the manager a hard time and refusing to even show him a badge. They can be very entitled when they want to be.

There's a lot more to this than some poor cops being harrassed by a cop-hating customer and a ignorant manager.

MOO

I dunno, the way I read it came across to me that he did.

I think the customer complained about the females weapon because her clothes probably made hers more visible. Either way it was ignorant on the customers part and the managers. I am sure IHOP will be more than happy to serve these officers some food!

This is one of the most bizarre news stories in recent memory. Unless one is breaking the law, who in their right mind would complain about these detectives dining in the restaurant? If anything, it gives a heightened sense of security and I would imagine made most of the customers very comfortable.

:waitasec:

<shakes head>

long ago, when i worked late,(11-7 shift) i would stop by a dunkin donuts BECAUSE i knew there were armed police inside. weekend nights i would ask them to swing by my store if they were near there. they would slowly pull through the gas pumps and wave and blink lights at me several times a shift. LOL (i also carried a concealed weapon at all times in those days, but NOTHING is as deterrent as a COP on DUTY.

most people can spot a cop by the way they carry themselves, or at least i can.
this is just ridiculous...
BBM

Absolutely!

This is one of the most bizarre news stories in recent memory. Unless one is breaking the law, who in their right mind would complain about these detectives dining in the restaurant? If anything, it gives a heightened sense of security and I would imagine made most of the customers very comfortable.

:waitasec:

Thats exactly how I would feel, they werent some silly gang bangers or along those lines.they are fully trained cops.

Sometimes I think people just like complaining, nothing better to do

I dont care if thier on duty or off duty i say Good job to the place they walked in to . Iam so sick off the police thinking they can do whatever the hell they want 'When they want They are not Above the law . no one is .

'I harbor no grudges': Belleville police chief lifts ban on officers eating at Denny's
Published: January 3, 2013 Updated 16 hours ago
By JAMIE FORSYTHE — News-Democrat

"BELLEVILLE — Police Chief William Clay lifted a ban on officers taking a meal or coffee break at the Denny's Restaurant on South Illinois Street following a meeting with a Denny's executive Thursday.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2013/01/03/24464...#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop#storylink=cpy

I dont care if thier on duty or off duty i say Good job to the place they walked in to . Iam so sick off the police thinking they can do whatever the hell they want 'When they want They are not Above the law . no one is .

what law did they break? and, while "on duty", LEOs must wear their complete uniforms, correct? their gun is part of that. and, according to reports, the LEOs took pics of the door on their way out and there was no sign prohibiting guns... and even if there was a sign, can you imagine?

picture.php

as a business owner, wouldn't you feel safer with LEOs with guns inside your establishment than without? smh

Okay, let me get this straight...

A group of off-duty police officers in plain clothes show up to a family restuarant. It appears to me that their badges were not visible to the naked eye or a concerned customer would not have reported it to a manager in the first place.

A manager, who has probably been told that guns are prohibited from being inside that family restaurant tells the officers they have to leave or put their guns in their vehicle. However, the General Manager, who would know better, corrects the situation, but the officers leave anyways.

Now there is a call for all officers to boycott Denny's by the chief/sheriff? It was a simple misunderstanding between a bunch of officers who should have had their badges visible, a concerned customer, and an unknowing manager.

The chief/sheriff needs to grow up.

I don't know if he knew they were cops? There are many people who have a permit to carry weapons, but a lot of places prohibit them from being in the building. I've had many managers ask customers to put their guns/knives into their cars before entering the bar I work at. They never call the cops before asking?

I believe he may very well have not known they were cops until the cops showed them their badge (which was most likely in their wallet and no on their plain clothes). He was probably told that only uniformed officers could wear guns. A General Manager corrected him and told the officers to stay. The officers are the ones who left. Making a bigger deal out of it than they should have. Why would they feel uncomfortable if it was absolutely innocent on their part? I could easily see these officers giving the manager a hard time and refusing to even show him a badge. They can be very entitled when they want to be.

There's a lot more to this than some poor cops being harrassed by a cop-hating customer and a ignorant manager.

MOO

Sax said the police had their badges in full view, either by their handguns or they were wearing them around their necks. Plus, portable police radios were on the table.

http://kplr11.com/2013/01/02/belleville-police-banned-from-dennys/

This is the stupidest story ever from all sides. Customer complains about cop having a gun. Other customers have no issue. Cops get upset, leave and boycott the place. Police Chief issues a ban and then lifts the ban and now it's ok. Restaurant offers free meals to all police officers.

Say what? I feel like I'm reading a script from Candid Camera or Just for Laughs comedy festival. LOL or that new show on HLN called "What would you do".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back