TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, HCSO investigates domestic abuse via the Criminal Investigation Division.

Do we know that the Criminal Investigation Division is on the case, and do we know what particular areas (besides domestic violence) are handled within the division that is investigating Gail's case?

I think we fairly closely agree. I wouldn't categorize it as untruths, just not saying everything. When I hear them say, "no evidence", I don't think that means they don't believe a crime was committed. That's just my opinion. They certainly don't have to reveal anything to the public, you are absolutely right. But, they have revealed some things and I just don't believe it is everything they have. And as I said, they shouldn't reveal everything. As for the aerial search, I agree it's a better time to look than during the summer because of the leaves. However, I can't understand why they would do it if they were convinced that Gail is living a life somewhere else and is voluntarily in hiding. It doesn't make sense to me. Some people might think it just means LE is keeping all options and theories open as possibilities, including foul play, and I agree. Definitely, all possibilities should be considered and investigated. I am just glad, according to that statement, that there will be some professional searches as there have been very few to this point. Searching for Gail is imperative. JMO

I agree that they have not revealed everything they have. I do think when they say, "no evidence", they really mean they have nothing at all pointing to Matt doing harm to Gail. I have my personal reasons for thinking that, but LE seems to be saying in as many ways as possible that they don't have evidence, they don't suspect anyone, they don't believe foul play was involved.

I also believe that Gail gave them an idea of where she was planning to go, and she has not turned up there, that would be a good reason for the LE to continue to search for her.

Do we know that the Criminal Investigation Division is on the case, and do we know what particular areas (besides domestic violence) are handled within the division that is investigating Gail's case?

Either CID is on Gail's case or they aren't. Does anyone here actually know? Honest question.

Either CID is on Gail's case or they aren't. Does anyone here actually know? Honest question.

I want to know too. Also honest question.

The shortage of separate phone numbers on the HCSO website causes me to wonder just how many "sub-specialties" of detectives are in the department. What is there besides "major crimes" detectives? Are the sub-categories all considered "major crimes" detectives?

(I can't imagine a detective accepting a "petty crimes" detective designation.)

I guess what I can't figure out is if GP was just missing of her own accord...or even an accident, why isn't LE putting out more info on what they do know. A specific timeline they must have from cellphone pings, etc. Did they manage to get any type of info from the gps or "gizmos" on the Jeep. Where? What specific info did the friends, family and neighbors have to give that might give a clue, etc. If a person is just missing...why hold back any info the public could use in trying to locate her. If they have done other searches...why not publize it?
Besides the Jeep being underwater somewhere...why can't they find it? If Gail left on her own...and had a plan..what would she do with the jeep? What does her cellphone history reveal...going back a few months, etc. I just can't help but think they have more than what we know...and if it's nothing nefarious....then why not release it?? Do they think to do so would tip Gail off? If she was just missing....why not let the children tell what they know?

Perplexed..............

Husband Of Missing Signal Mountain Woman Is Fired By BlueCross
Hammond Says It Is "Highly Unusual" That Gail Palmgren's Jeep Not Yet Spotted
posted June 7, 2011

Here's another article that states major crime detectives are working Gail's case..

Sheriff Jim Hammond said major crimes detectives are working the case along with the Signal Mountain Police.

http://news.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_202911.asp

I would think major crime detectives are with the CID..

According to a local sheriff major crimes detectives are now assisting in Gail's disappearance.

http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...ing-husband-co-worker-terminated-at-bluecross

This article is dated June 8, which is one day after the Chattanoogan article cited earlier. Seems to be a variation of the same article. Does anybody know if the status has changed in the past four months? Is the Criminal Investigations Division handling the case at this time? And, if so, what categories are included within "Criminal Investigations" besides DV, which could apply to Gail?

Just wondering..
IF Missing Persons investigations at HCSO are handled by the Personal Crimes Unit then why is the Criminal Investigations Unit handling Gail's investigation?

Why has LE stated that MAJOR CRIMES would be looking into Gail's disappearance? Does a Missing Person fall into MAJOR CRIMES category?

The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division is requesting for anyone who may have information pertaining to this missing person investigation are urged to call 423-209-8940, Sheriff’s dispatcher 423-622-0022 or submit a tip to investigations@hcsheriff.gov

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_202911.asp

Em, I think this is the same article. Is there another that could help clarify?

Missing Person > Personal Crimes > CID.

That it's a MP case is a fact - we have that from LE multiple times.
That it's assigned to CID is a fact - that's been reported and is on the HCSO website.
It's a simple thing to click on the website and see that MP fall within the PC unit of the CID.

That it's assigned to CID is a fact - that's been reported and is on the HCSO website. It's a simple thing to click on the website and see that MP fall within the PC unit of the CID.

Confused, I THINK the point we are trying to get to the bottom of is:

Do we think that the assignment of the case to the Criminal Investigations Division means that HCSO believes a crime has taken place?

and...

Does the term "major crimes detectives" indicate suspicion of foul play? If not, what are the possibilites for types of cases investigated by "major crimes detectives"?

I'm wondering what other types of detectives we have in HCSO. We have not too many phone numbers that appear to include all investigative divisions of HCSO. Is it possible that when cases rise to the level of needing detective work, they are all ranked somewhat the same?

That's where I'm going with these questions. Glorias, are we going for the same answers here?

Do we think that the assignment of the case to the Criminal Investigations Division means that HCSO believes a crime has taken place?

and...

Does the term "major crimes detectives" indicate suspicion of foul play?

Well, since the Sheriff himself said that they don't suspect foul play and this is still just a missing persons case, NO, I don't think they believe a crime has taken place, nor do they think there is suspicion of foul play.

Well, since the Sheriff himself said that they don't suspect foul play and this is still just a missing persons case, NO, I don't think they believe a crime has taken place, nor do they think there is suspicion of foul play.

Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office investigators have not ruled her disappearance as foul play.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/sep/02/matthew-palmgren-lists-home-sale/?print

I haven't found anything quoting the sheriff as "not suspecting" foul play. In this article, he hasn't ruled it as such.

And...

There has been no evidence of foul play but investigators say they have not ruled out any possibility.

http://www.newschannel9.com/articles/home-1002746-palmgren-julanne.html

If LE doesn't believe that a crime was committed then why not tell the public what Gail was last wearing as someone so kindly brought up earlier in this thread? LE has told the public basically nothing in this case and I've never seen a case of a missing person without LE giving more detail and keeping the public informed of the progress that has been made. The justice system in TN leaves a lot to be desired. None of it down there in TN makes any sense and I love that state, but hate the justice system.

If LE doesn't believe that a crime was committed then why not tell the public what Gail was last wearing as someone so kindly brought up earlier in this thread? LE has told the public basically nothing in this case and I've never seen a case of a missing person without LE giving more detail and keeping the public informed of the progress that has been made. The justice system in TN leaves a lot to be desired. None of it down there in TN makes any sense and I love that state, but hate the justice system.

BBM

What is the probability LE does not know what Gail was wearing when she seemingly vanished without a trace?

By the way, I love TN too!

One thing that stands out from the links is that lack of funds and resources plays a huge part in why so many missing person cases can’t be investigated deeper. It really is making it so easy for criminals to dispose of people and get away with it, all you need to do is make sure there is no sign of foul play and you are pretty much home free. Sometimes it seems the laws that are meant to be there to protect everyday citizens are becoming more about protecting criminals. The LE really do have their hands tied a lot of times when it comes to making a call on how much time they can spend on a case, gut instinct no longer can play as big a part in solving crime these days.

As someone who lives a pretty dull ordinary life I can’t understand why anyone who has a missing family member would object to talking to LE, having the LE enter and search my place. Even though I know it is my right to refuse to talk etc. my personal feeling is, if I have nothing to hide why stop the LE from
doing their job. It would give me peace of mind to be able to walk around with my head held high knowing I had done all I could to help the LE and prevent finger pointing. Also would help the LE from wasting valuable resources trying to work out if I was up to no good. Just some thoughts after reading all those links.

Again sorry for the late reply to a post...I am about to turn into a pumkin so will say good night. :)

I agree. Why not talk to LE if you know she just left? Why would the mother-in-law need a lawyer's presence if Gail just left on her own accord? It just looks like they have something to hide. Don't they realize this?

BBM

What is the probability LE does not know what Gail was wearing when she seemingly vanished without a trace?

By the way, I love TN too!

Since the kids were not allowed to talk to LE, I doubt anyone else knew what she was wearing. The kids were the last people to have seen her.

That it's assigned to CID is a fact - that's been reported and is on the HCSO website.
It's a simple thing to click on the website and see that MP fall within the PC unit of the CID.

Being labeled a missing person is not carved in stone. The status can change in a heart beat. LE simply doesn't know what happened to her. They could privately have their own ideas on what happened to her though. They often do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82