GUILTY FL - Michael Brewer, 15, set ablaze by classmates, Deerfield Beach, 12 Oct 2009

:doh: What is wrong with people?

From the story:
-snip-
The dolls were found Wednesday afternoon in the pool by Brewer's older sister, Malissa Durkee, 22, the report stated.

It was close to 1 p.m. when Durkee checked on the backyard and noticed an open gate -- and found two dolls.

"The male and female dolls had been burned and had been joined together heads to feet,'' the report said.

The dolls belonged to Durkee's three young children. They had last been seen on Tuesday in the front yard of the home in the 1400 block of South Deerfield Avenue.
-snip-

I sure hope they catch whoever did this. :no:

What? Is this whole neighborhood trash? If I were the mother and sister, and I could afford it, I would leave this area. Too many heartless, dangerous people living around there.

These kids have now been charged with attempted murder.

Not that it matters, but is this a big surprise?

Families of boys accused of burning teen were all troubled

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/content/state/epaper/2009/10/25/burnboyfamilies.html

Not surprising at all. It's no excuse for their attempted murder.
One of those brothers had a look on his face that looked like the devil, very evil!
They laughed about it after they were arrested. They think they are "tough boys" well once they get to prison, they'll think twice about that.

These kids have now been charged with attempted murder.

I'm glad to hear it. What they did to him is worse than murder. Michael will suffer with this all of his life.

As an aside... my cousin badly burned his legs when he was young. He is not 47yo and will not wear shorts because the scars are so bad. The skin does not stretch like normal skin. He was only 6 or 7 when it happened. Had the scabs peeled off, skin grafting, pain.

What those animals -- and that is what they are -- did to Michael is unforgivable no matter what their home life was like. They should have just shot themselves and saved a lot of people a lot of pain and heartache.

A pair of charred dolls were discovered this week in the backyard of burn victim Michael Brewer's Deerfield Beach home, according to a report released by the Broward Sheriff's Office on Thursday.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1318279.html

This family did not need this on top of all else that has happened.

I immediately wondered if the sisters of the suspects did this? Did anyone else think that? :waitasec:

I immediately wondered if the sisters of the suspects did this? Did anyone else think that? :waitasec:
It would sure make sense.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm so jaded these days, my first wonder was if the sister of the victim did it. :doh:

bolding by me:

Dr. Namias said in an interview that burns of the magnitude suffered by Brewer are hard for most people to imagine.
"What I tell families when we meet in the family room at the start -- I have to explain to them this is really a big deal, this is not just a little skin condition," he told CNN.
"His life and your family's life have now changed forever."
Namias says that Brewer has two things on his side -- his youth, and the fact that his hands and face are not burned, which can be physically and emotionally scarring.
"Our expectation is survival, and we would be devastated if he didn't. But I don't think that we would be surprised if he didn't," Namias said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/09/florida.burned.boy.charges/index.html

I'm glad to read this little bit of good news.

The older Jarvis brother is actually named Denver Colorado Jarvis. I know that odd names are becoming so common that they are almost not odd anymore. And I know it is no excuse for what he did. But I do imagine it must have been a bit more difficult than normal to be raised with such a strange name. Who would name their kid after a city? A mile high city nonetheless.

I take it back...he is named after his father who has the same name...hmmm

I have a cousin who named her son "Dakota Boulder" and yes he is built like a boulder. Big muscular guy so his name suits him.

imo

bolding by me:

Dr. Namias said in an interview that burns of the magnitude suffered by Brewer are hard for most people to imagine.
"What I tell families when we meet in the family room at the start -- I have to explain to them this is really a big deal, this is not just a little skin condition," he told CNN.
"His life and your family's life have now changed forever."
Namias says that Brewer has two things on his side -- his youth, and the fact that his hands and face are not burned, which can be physically and emotionally scarring.
"Our expectation is survival, and we would be devastated if he didn't. But I don't think that we would be surprised if he didn't," Namias said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/09/florida.burned.boy.charges/index.html

I'm glad to read this little bit of good news.

I sure am glad to hear it too.

imo

The older Jarvis brother is actually named Denver Colorado Jarvis. I know that odd names are becoming so common that they are almost not odd anymore. And I know it is no excuse for what he did. But I do imagine it must have been a bit more difficult than normal to be raised with such a strange name. Who would name their kid after a city? A mile high city nonetheless.

I take it back...he is named after his father who has the same name...hmmm

I don't it's that strange a name at all. Those that grew up with him always knew him by that so i doubt he was picked on for his name. It's not like he had a name like "Fanny" (i actually knew a girl with that name in elementary school and she didn't get picked on). I know that the name Dakota is more common than it used to be. I would be surprised if he got picked on for the name "Denver". There are a variety of different first names and ways to spell them out there nowadays i don't think kids think that much about them.

IMO, the older Jarvis boy who poured the flamable liqour on Brewer and the one who lit the match need to be charged with attempted murder. If he didn't pour a highly flamable liquid on Brewer, a match throw at him would have just burned out.
It is a good thing that Brewer's hands and especially his face aren't burned, its horrific enough for him. At least he will be able to look at himself in the mirror and not see his face burned. However it is something so horrible he will never forget. These kids all used to be friends.. I wonder what made that change? One of the kids had to influence the others..

These kids all used to be friends.. I wonder what made that change? One of the kids had to influence the others..

(respectfully snipped by me)

Or there was an older influence that they were trying to impress, say some thuggish relative with a chronic criminal history - that seems to be the most common way kids end up going 'hard' at an early age.

Teen burning suspect's mom says he's hard worker, good boy
Mother of Matthew Bent, one of three teens charged in the burning of a Deerfield Beach boy, makes her first public comments

By Juan Ortega, Sun Sentinel

November 10, 2009

FORT LAUDERDALE - To his family, Matthew Bent was a busy child with a bright future.

The 15-year-old Pompano Beach boy mowed neighbors' lawns, volunteered with yard sales at church, did his homework and was an avid basketball player, his family said.

Bent's mother spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday, saying her family is remorseful for the attack on a teen, Michael Brewer, who was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire Oct. 12 in Deerfield Beach. Matthew Bent is one of three suspects charged in the attack.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ent-deerfield-burn-bn-20091110,0,565263.story

Well there ya go. Yet another parent talking about how her child is "such a good boy" - mowing lawns and all. This Bent kid is being described as the ring leader and the mastermind behind this attack. He was also the one that Michael Brewer called the cops on for trying to steal Brewer's father's bike.

It makes me sick when parents defend their children in such horrific actions. I just wonder if they (the parents) are just so embarrassed by it all that they will do or say anything to "distance" themselves from the child or is it an effort to take any type of parental blame off them.

JMO as always

mowed neighbors' lawns, volunteered with yard sales at church, did his homework and was an avid basketball player,
JMO as always

Did his homework? A basketball player? What do these things have to do with his qualities?

You notice they did not say Was an "A" or honor Student (I doubt he was)....And I dont see how being a basketball player makes him worthy of any special considerattion. The kid is a . Alot of thugs play basketball, so what?

By the way, I am hearing how sorry these parents are. What I am not hearing is that they are donating money to pay medical bills or sponsoring any fund collecting drives. I sure hope that the parents of Michael Brewer sue the pants of the parents of the children who did this. There should be a very serious civil case against the parents I would think. If their child ran over someone with a car they would be liable. I would think that they would be liable for damages, medical/punative and otherwise for setting someones child on fire.

Teen burning suspect's mom says he's hard worker, good boy
Mother of Matthew Bent, one of three teens charged in the burning of a Deerfield Beach boy, makes her first public comments

By Juan Ortega, Sun Sentinel

November 10, 2009

FORT LAUDERDALE - To his family, Matthew Bent was a busy child with a bright future.

The 15-year-old Pompano Beach boy mowed neighbors' lawns, volunteered with yard sales at church, did his homework and was an avid basketball player, his family said.

Bent's mother spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday, saying her family is remorseful for the attack on a teen, Michael Brewer, who was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire Oct. 12 in Deerfield Beach. Matthew Bent is one of three suspects charged in the attack.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ent-deerfield-burn-bn-20091110,0,565263.story

Well there ya go. Yet another parent talking about how her child is "such a good boy" - mowing lawns and all. This Bent kid is being described as the ring leader and the mastermind behind this attack. He was also the one that Michael Brewer called the cops on for trying to steal Brewer's father's bike.

It makes me sick when parents defend their children in such horrific actions. I just wonder if they (the parents) are just so embarrassed by it all that they will do or say anything to "distance" themselves from the child or is it an effort to take any type of parental blame off them.

JMO as always

Some cases, and the parent's reactions to them, just amaze me. I've always thought that only two things could possibly result in me turning my back on my own children- a purposeful murder and child sexual abuse. But this is another case where I do believe that I would able to not say ANYTHING at all even for my own child if one of them did this horrific crime. I'm pretty sure that my only statement would one of asking for community support and prayers for the victim and his family. Of course, we never know unless we are in their shoes but some acts are inexcuable regardless of who commits them!

He's breathing on his own now, without the ventilator.
http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Sal...et-on-fire-by-bullies-is-breathing-on-his-own

In my area, there have been 2 semi recent situations where teens have been burned and both of them were on the ventilator for 4+ months. Both of their cases were accidents (albeit out of stupid acts) I would think Michael would be kept on it for longer so his burns can heal more with him being in less pain considering the psych problems he'll have plus the physical pain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back