Caitlyn Jenner speeding during deadly crash, DA to be told

zwiebel

Reaction score
Caitlyn Jenner was in violation of basic speed laws when she was involved in a deadly crash in Malibu, Feb 7, the Los Angeles County DA's Office will be told by sheriff's investigators, due to present the case next week.

Investigators have remained “neutral” and do not plan to recommend misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter charges be filed against Jenner, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Detective Curry said.

I know we already had a thread for this, but that was for Bruce Jenner. And I'm not sure if it should go in the Caitlyn thread either. So anyhow I got myself in such a pickle trying to work out what I should do, I took the easy option and opened a new thread. Sorry if it needs to be moved mods.

http://ktla.com/2015/08/20/case-cla...sh-to-be-presented-to-da-sheriffs-department/

It's been recommended she be charged with manslaughter.

[video=twitter;634439134350852096]https://twitter.com/NBCLA/status/634439134350852096[/video]

WOW. This will be interesting to see unfold.

I don't know why they are not considering felony charges. In a very similar accident a women was convicted of felony manslaughter after she drove into the back of a car in a case of distracted driving. When we see the video of the Jenner crash Jenner was clearly distracted since she does not appear to have attempted to brake as she plowed into the back of the Lexus. I suspect that she was probably reading through text messages on her smart phone but whatever the cause of the distraction it does not matter. Jenner was clearly distracted in the moments leading up to the crash.

http://ktla.com/2015/08/13/distract...amming-into-car-stopped-in-traffic-at-85-mph/

I don't know why they are not considering felony charges. In a very similar accident a women was convicted of felony manslaughter after she drove into the back of a car in a case of distracted driving. When we see the video of the Jenner crash Jenner was clearly distracted since she does not appear to have attempted to brake as he plowed into the back of the Lexus. I suspect that she was probably reading through text messages on his smart phone but whatever the cause of the distraction it does not matter. Jenner was clearly distracted in the moments leading up to the crash.

http://ktla.com/2015/08/13/distract...amming-into-car-stopped-in-traffic-at-85-mph/

Here's more on the article you posted. It still would have been a felony charge, I imagine.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2015/03/jorene_ypanto_nicolas_plea_deal_off.php

At her retrial this week, Nicolas was poised to take a court deal that would have given her a year in jail, 500 hours of community service, five years probation and no prison time in exchange for a guilty plea. But instead the San Diego woman told Orange County Superior Court Judge Steven Bromberg on Wednesday that she wants a new lawyer, and the judge continued the retrial to April 24, when Nicholas will face a maximum six year prison sentence if she is convicted.

That's an interesting article SophieRose. Nicolas made a big mistake by turning down the plea deal. Now she faces six years in prison. I hope she gets the maximum sentence. In general I think distracted driving is a huge and growing problem that will eventually overtake DUI's as a cause of fatal accidents. Judges need to throw the book at these people.

That's an interesting article SophieRose. Nicolas made a big mistake by turning down the plea deal. Now she faces six years in prison. I hope she gets the maximum sentence. In general I think distracted driving is a huge and growing problem that will eventually overtake DUI's as a cause of fatal accidents. Judges need to throw the book at these people.

I read a few articles on the case. I think what made them charge Nicholas with a felony was that she was texting and calling on her cell phone just prior to hitting the victim's car. Nicholas would not admit guilt, said the accident was the victim's fault. The victim's parents were disappointed that the first trial ended in deadlock 11-1, were hoping for the maximum sentence. At least with this trial's guilty verdict the parents may get their wish.

According to this article, Jenner was not on his cell phone at the time of his accident.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...mending-charges-fatal-crash/story?id=33206367

The Sheriff's Department is recommending the charge "based upon Jenner traveling at an unsafe speed for the prevailing roadway conditions," the office told ABC News.

There was no evidence that Jenner was impaired or texting, which could have led detectives to recommend a more serious charge, sources close to the investigation told ABC News.

A misdemeanor could technically result in jail time, but experts have told ABC News that, even if convicted, Jenner would be unlikely to face jail time for a misdemeanor charge because of her clean record.

Guess the question is will the arrest be for Bruce or Caitlyn since she was Bruce at the time? This should be interesting to see how it all plays out. Is this the first court case with a transgender? She would probably get one of the fancy jails anyway for the rich and famous. Also, did she have her name changed legally?

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/bruce-jenner-sex-change-drivers-license-woman/
“Bruce is in the final phases of the physical transformation of becoming a woman, and is looking forward to going to the DMV to get a new drivers license as a woman,” an insider told Radar. “He plans on legally changing his name, and the drivers license will list the sex as female.”

A camera crew will be along for the ride, said the source, who added, “Bruce wants to document it as an inspiration to others.”

This article was from June 1st. I havent found any thing that says he had the legal change. If she isnt legally Caitlyn than the arrest would have to be for Bruce. jmo

I could swear I recall pics taken that show Jenner, phone in hand, at the wheel, just before the crash.

Of course I did put my keys in the fridge this afternoon while putting away groceries, so....yeah. Let's not put much stock in my memory.

But does anyone else remember those photos?

Guess the question is will the arrest be for Bruce or Caitlyn since she was Bruce at the time? This should be interesting to see how it all plays out. Is this the first court case with a transgender? She would probably get one of the fancy jails anyway for the rich and famous. Also, did she have her name changed legally?

Here's a recent article on transgender inmates in California.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/04/life-transgender-inmate-california-prison-culture

Nevertheless, she’s categorized as a man by the California department of corrections and rehabilitation (CDCR). She’s just one of more than 300 transgender inmates in California prisons statewide (the national estimate for transgender inmates is about 700).

I could swear I recall pics taken that show Jenner, phone in hand, at the wheel, just before the crash.

Of course I did put my keys in the fridge this afternoon while putting away groceries, so....yeah. Let's not put much stock in my memory.

I think I remember a cigarette, not a phone. But I have no idea where my keys are. Maybe I should check the fridge.

The lawsuit filed lists her as Caitlyn.
That's all I know.
No idea if that makes a difference as far as it being her legal name.

I think she had her phone, but IIRC, they checked her calls/texts and she was not making any at the time , or even right before the accident. So she is off the hook for that.

Caitlyn Jenner was in violation of basic speed laws when she was involved in a deadly crash in Malibu, Feb 7, the Los Angeles County DA's Office will be told by sheriff's investigators, due to present the case next week.

I know we already had a thread for this, but that was for Bruce Jenner. And I'm not sure if it should go in the Caitlyn thread either. So anyhow I got myself in such a pickle trying to work out what I should do, I took the easy option and opened a new thread. Sorry if it needs to be moved mods.

http://ktla.com/2015/08/20/case-cla...sh-to-be-presented-to-da-sheriffs-department/

Technically the crash was caused by the woman who died. Typically the first vehicle to hit another is held to be culpable for a multiple vehicle accident.

My guess is that the reason Jenner hit her was that she stopped abruptly (due to hitting the car in front of her). Jenner was towing another vehicle, which would have added considerable momentum to his vehicle, and that would have reduced his ability to stop in time.

The charge against Jenner probably relates to the speed he was travelling and the distance he was maintaining to the vehicles ahead of him, considering the fact that he towing at the time. An error of judgement perhaps, but one that might be difficult to make a compelling argument for.

I don't recall photo's of Jenner with phone in hand but I do recall the photo's that appear to show Jenner smoking a joint in the seconds leading up to the crash. I wonder if he was tested for cannabis?

0208-bruce-jenner-car-crash-cigarette-splash-inf-4.jpg

Technically the crash was caused by the woman who died. Typically the first vehicle to hit another is held to be culpable for a multiple vehicle accident.

My guess is that the reason Jenner hit her was that she stopped abruptly (due to hitting the car in front of her). Jenner was towing another vehicle, which would have added considerable momentum to his vehicle, and that would have reduced his ability to stop in time.

The charge against Jenner probably relates to the speed he was travelling and the distance he was maintaining to the vehicles ahead of him, considering the fact that he towing at the time. An error of judgement perhaps, but one that might be difficult to make a compelling argument for.

As the video of the crash proves conclusively the FIRST vehicle to hit another was Jenner's Escalade. This is not as first reported a case where Jenner was caught in the tail-end of a "chain reaction". Jenner was the CATALYST for the chain reaction! The victim did not abruptly stop in the middle of the road. She was moving at pace with the slower speed of the traffic when Jenner - who was clearly distracted - plowed into the back of the victims Lexus without ever attempting to stop. Jenner's Escalade would only come to a stop after it rammed into the back of the Prius which was AHEAD of the victim's Lexus. What could be more reckless? Whether Jenner was distracted by texting or by checking herself out in the vanity mirror tucked behind the sun visor is irrelevant. The video provides conclusive evidence that Jenner was completely distracted in the moments leading up to the crash. Wherever her attention was - one thing is for sure. She was not focused on the traffic ahead of her fast moving SUV and her gross negligence caused the death of the Lexus driver IMO.

You need to go back to the other Jenner thread for all the updates on the case. It turns out that an LA bus coming froth the other direction recorded video of the accident that shows Jenner hit both cars, the other car did not touch the victim's car. Jenner is responsible for the entire accident.

I was just going to say, there are photos around that seem to show Kim Howe's car was rear ended and she hadn't hit anyone before that.

I won't post as the lady is deceased, but number 2 and 3 photos show her behind the other car, calm and relaxed and with the front of her car looking intact, then a second later a look of shock on her face as her car is hit from behind.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...cle-crash-gallery-1.2107383?pmSlide=1.2107369

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back