a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already don't care for Dr. Phil, so this won't be hard for us!

I just can't believe he would stoop this low

Really?
Dr Phil is out for ratings. He will stoop as low as it takes.
I never watch him anymore.

Thank you (again) Brooke.

I've been saying all throughout her testimony i had the feeling she'd been watching the trial. The details of things she had commited to memory based on a DV evalutaion she'd done that really only pertained to THIS trial and were pretty inconsequential to the eval were the tells for me.

Like how did she know the name of "Bianca", the woman JA stalked thinking she was involved with Matt? That had no pertinence to the "DV" between she and Travis but it had just come up in the trial.

I'm convinced she was distinctly following the trial all the way up to her testimony and yours is yet another and better example. Good catch.

Please forgive me if I am heating up old hash but: I read on an earlier thread and elsewhere that the $250 research fee AVL collected was to "coach" Nurmi in how to cross JA. I believe it went a little further than that.. I see duplicate terminology between AVL and JA and like behaviors on the stand. I think they shared how to slow testimony down, how to attempt to throw Juan off his stride... and I'm sure you smarter WSers can think of more... remember both seemed to find our Juan talked in circles. Please excuse if old rant.

I want jaun martinez to hv her testimony thrown out redacted and withdrawn. Avl is not licensed to practice anywhere. If anyone has a copy if her current lic in any state post it pls. She cannot legally b declared an expert witness. Jaun must impeach her monday morning. Her hatred of men was clear on
the stand. She is bias towards her lovely client ( barf)
She lies about not listening to the testimony. It was clear to me she had, this insults all who hv been victims of any violence. I hope JM ruins her on the stand.

Good morning all! I've ranted elsewhere that you would think there were minimal requirements to be considered an expert witness. I've actually watch in some courtrooms where the "expert's" credentials are put before the court and the witness has to be deemed "qualified" by both sides in order to take the stand and offer an EXPERT opinion. Many times the side NOT offering the witness will acccept (can't remember the legal term) before the testimony is give to save time and because it is obvious the witness does have the credentials.. i.e. Dr. Henry Lee in OJ case... although he kinda lost his glory awhile after that. There are better examples but I am getting older by the second.

I equate ALV approaching Sam to a prosecution witness requesting an early break and instead of heading out of the courtroom, making a bee line to talk to the defendant. NOT ALLOWED!!!! KCL thank you for bringing this to the attention of others. Also thank you for having the families back. You are never intrusive, but they sure know you are there. That is a big comfort I am sure.

I hope the Judge reamed ALV after court yesterday. I would not put it past ALV to call in sick Monday. She makes me sick!

If Dr. Phil is subsidizing the D's family, shame on him. Is there any news on housing for the TA family??

He's done that countless times since this trial started! Everyone necessary knows whatever his complaint is, as they've already dealt with it at sidebar or in chambers, but he INSISTS on his media moment to put on a display in front of the cameras..Then he struts around all indignant like he's rehearsed it in his bathroom mirror...his own little 'you can't handle the truth' moment. So gross.

I'm so weary of him and his goober sidekick..Not a single moment where they showed any integrity - ever. From lying to Chris & Sky Hughes about those letters to lying to the judge about when evidence was turned over by the state. Every time he speaks, he's lying as often as his client.

And ALV gets a 'talking-to' behind closed doors for what she should know full well could be interpreted as an attack on the victims family - in court?? IMO, anyone on the DT doing that is akin to the defendant

He puts EVERYTHING including thr BR toilet "on the record" so it can be used in the looong appeals process. This said, I've wondered many times if the DT believes JA will receive the DP and are preparing.

Oh gosh well I can see that Dr Phil would want to do some shows on the family of this monster. But pay their living expenses? What "license fees" do the Arias family have to pay?

Jodi's artwork?

It really seemed to me she was sketching in the courtroom on thursday; I was observing her; eraser and pencils and all.
She is making me ill; I cannot wait for Monday for the Cross exam.

Until then; thanks for all the posts keeping me up to date!

I understand that the judge had a little convo with AVL after court.. would love to have been a fly on the wall for that one. Of course the judge is MUCH nicer than I am..

Please forgive me if I am heating up old hash but: I read on an earlier thread and elsewhere that the $250 research fee AVL collected was to "coach" Nurmi in how to cross JA. I believe it went a little further than that.. I see duplicate terminology between AVL and JA and like behaviors on the stand. I think they shared how to slow testimony down, how to attempt to throw Juan off his stride... and I'm sure you smarter WSers can think of more... remember both seemed to find our Juan talked in circles. Please excuse if old rant.

LOL - are you and Brooke reading my post I was trying to write in a logical way? Here is what I had so far, but I will just toss it out now as this is exactly what I was wanting to point out and discuss too!

(Warning - not proofed or polished post ahead!)
AL knew something about the past testimony when wilmont asked her (to get it out of the way) if she had any memory issues - she chuckles a knowing chuckle and says no. So, is defense counsel discussing the case with her and past behaviors? (Also see post 1028 by Brooke!)

SAME STYLE OF ANSWERING BETWEEN AL AND JODI:
AL parrots jodi (or jodi learned the snarl from AL in the 44 hours)

• AL confronts Juan about "are you mad at me" and 'address me in the same tone I address you'
jodi "when men like you and Travis"

-----------------> watching the footage to me this line was planned as was even the lean on chin look from AL. Right before AL leans on her chin - wilmont does the same as if to que AL to do that to Juan. Is it mirroring or the game plan. It also appeared AL was given signals from MSpec and/or friends to deliver that line.

• AL mentions not being able to follow Juan the way he words question.
jodi - to Juan - you talk in circles.

Refuses to answer yes or no (both did this)

jodi stared down the family.
AL actually approached SAM and spoke to her. BOTH rubbing salt in the wounds. Despicable (&)(^*()#W!

Juan was masterful (and I hope he gets to fully complete the thought) on the Snow White line of questioning. He was clearly (to me anyway!) making the connection for the jury that with AL continuum you can make Snow White, Alice from Alice in Wonderland, or many characters from fairy tales - battered women. Thus, the continuum is so broad and ill refined as to an effective tool for making a determination - and can be used on people or characters one has never met to make a sweeping accusation of abuse. Yet, somehow AL doesn't see that jodi is her continuum to the lethal degree of murdering.

Further, based on the objections and eye rolls the Snow White is hot spot for AL and the defense team so there is more there than maybe even we know! JMHO.

*Warning*​

Please do NOT post links to any petitions or reviews concerning Ms. LaViolette.

Good morning all! I've ranted elsewhere that you would think there were minimal requirements to be considered an expert witness. I've actually watch in some courtrooms where the "expert's" credentials are put before the court and the witness has to be deemed "qualified" by both sides in order to take the stand and offer an EXPERT opinion. Many times the side NOT offering the witness will acccept (can't remember the legal term) before the testimony is give to save time and because it is obvious the witness does have the credentials.. i.e. Dr. Henry Lee in OJ case... although he kinda lost his glory awhile after that. There are better examples but I am getting older by the second.

:seeya: I think I know that term - stipulation!

I was just browsing the lawyer's Q&A forum and came across this statement regarding ALV:

"There are two points, I think. First, that ALV sees battered women everywhere. Second, that she feels free to diagnose DV situations based upon fictional accounts--like Jodi's fantasy-land stories."

I think AZLawyer is right on the money with his assessment.

LOL - are you and Brooke reading my post I was trying to write in a logical way? Here is what I had so far, but I will just toss it out now as this is exactly what I was wanting to point out and discuss too!

AL knew something about the past testimony when wilmont asked her (to get it out of the way) if she had any memory issues - she chuckles a knowing chuckle and says no. So, is defense counsel discussing the case with her and past behaviors? (Also see post 1028 by Brooke!)

• AL confronts Juan about "are you mad at me" and 'address me in the same tone I address you'

-----------------> watching the footage to me this line was planned as was even the lean on chin look from AL. Right before AL leans on her chin - wilmont does the same as if to que AL to do that to Juan. Is it mirroring or the game plan. It also appeared AL was given signals from MSpec and/or friends to deliver that line.

AL actually approached SAM and spoke to her. BOTH rubbing salt in the wounds. Despicable (&)(^*()#W!

Juan was masterful (and I hope he gets to fully complete the thought) on the Snow White line of questioning. He was clearly (to me anyway!) making the connection for the jury that with AL continuum you can make Snow White, Alice from Alice in Wonderland, or many characters from fairy tales - battered women. Thus, the continuum is so broad and ill refined as to an effective tool for making a determination - and can be used on people or characters one has never met to make a sweeping accusation of abuse. Yet, somehow AL doesn't see that jodi is her continuum to the lethal degree of murdering.

Further, based on the objections and eye rolls the Snow White is hot spot for AL and the defense team so there is more there than maybe even we know! JMHO.

BBM - Maybe ALV was hoping for a 'scene' by talking to Sam and would go on to testify that aggression and abusive behavior runs in Travis' family.

So far, no luck. Like Katie mentioned the cameras moved onto juror #5. :banghead:
So again I don't know if this is after the incident with Samantha or not but at the end of court keep watching after camera zooms into juror 5 than pans out and you can see Samantha by herself with Det Flores... Just thought all cameras go to seal after court and was surprised that doesn't always happen so maybe there is one that actually caught it!

Jodi Arias Trial - Day 41 - Part 2 coakerqueen123 sorry don't know how to paste the actual link.... And this may not be the part that captures that particular incident but was interesting!

Juror 5 is talking. My heart goes out to her. She's read those horrible things said about her. Those terrible people who didn't listen to the family straight out tell them to stop, that she did not deserve that kind of hate.
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/21895330/2013/04/05/juror-no-5-tells-her-side-of-the-story

Juror 5 if you are reading I think you are a wonderful person who took her job very seriously. Please do not take all of the vicious comments you have been reading to heart. I know it's hard but there are people on the internet who will attack anything just for fun becuase they feed off drama. So much that they open their big mouths with out bothering to listen to the people they feel they are "protecting" telling them to knock it off.

There are many people here who have not judged you and will not judge you, I think you are a brave, brave person for showing up in court and for taking a stand on not expressing your opinion about Jodi becuase you still take the case so seriously. My Opinion Only but I think Travis would be very proud of the brave girl who takes her stand and doesn't let anyone or anything scare her away.

Hang on and keep being brave. :seeya:

ETA: There is more then one video on the link I posted but she is now going to watch court from home.

Totally agree....I hope she isn't hounded. She needs space now. It took a lot of guts for her to walk in that court room and I admire her strength!!

What gives ALV the RIGHT to dare approach Samantha after slandering Travis and saying she does not think he is a victim????

I wonder how the legitimate victims of Domestic Violence who've actually been beaten up, hospitalized, ruined financially, terrorized etc feel about her testimony that Travis Alexander was the worst case of abuse she'd ever seen.

She's really gone off the deep end for this sociopath.

Why? Why? Why?

I'd love it if Juan would end his cross with one final ( admittedly objectionable) question:

Was all this worth it for you?

It may be an objectionable question in a court of law but in the court of public opinion it's right on the money.

Same thought but your post much better!

ALV describes herself as an "Expert Witness and Consultant" for this case (presumably) on her CV. It's listed as Phoenix Arizona 2011-13 so I am sure there's not another case she is involved in. ALV really tried to build up the self-defense story talking about how these threats from Travis getting closer and closer together hence giving JA a reason to be scared for her life. There's no doubt she fed that story to JA. It'll be interesting to know what books ALV sent JA in addition to the magazine.

I'm way behind on reading, but if I don't post some notes first I won't get them done. So...
Here are some of my notes of Thursday's afternoon session. There is no rhyme or reason to them, just my thoughts and scribblings.

I got to the public waiting area and took a seat. I saw some familiar faces and chatted with them.

I was walking over to the bathrooms and saw the clerk get off the elevator with a tall woman with red/blonde hair. I had to do a double take, it was tri-color. I couldn't believe what I'd just seen. Juror 5 was back in the house. :) I told Katie DDJ what I'd seen but no one else.

A few minutes later the bailiff, a marshall, and a security person come out to tell us there will be someone in the courtroom today in a reserved seat. We may recognize this person but we are not to approach or speak to that person. I turned around to Katie DDJ and mouthed the words "tri-color". That is when I was sure she would be sitting in the courtroom.
The hall was buzzing with "I wonder who it is" comments. Most thought it would be Nancy Grace. I let them think it. No reason to cause a firestorm and more grief for T.C.

I saw "cane lady" give an interview later. She said we were told it would be a celebrity. not true. We were told we may recognize the person. Ok, moving on.

I notice the marshall is in his uniform rather than a suit, and comment that he's in uniform today. He told me he had some other duties that day. I said well you look good either way. :) He's very nice and professional. I like him.

It's 1:40 and we're waiting. No counsel, judge, or defendant. A few minutes later counsel, the judge, ja, and Travis's family emerge from chambers and take their places.

Jumbo-tron down, and the screens are lit up. There will be exhibits today.

1:45 the jury is brought in and the afternoon session begins.

As I watch the jury it is odd to see the empty chair where tri-color sat. I notice a couple of the jurors look out to the gallery towards the public side. It was CEO and
CPA. I don't notice any of the others look this way.

ALV on the stand, more wah wah wah coming from her mouth. I honestly can't stand to listen to her. I don't believe anything she says. She may have been a good therapist back in the day, but we're in 2013 and men can be victimized too. She's a disgrace to my generation. MOO
I can't believe I shaved my legs for this!

On the screen is a chart "Continuum of Abuse". "Yawwwwn".

I notice Willie is wearing Navy shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

I'm so bored with the line of bull streaming from ALV's lips I look over to the jury.

CEO, Nancy, CPA, are watching the testimony. Paul Rudd looks like he's recovered from his illness. Grandpa looks ahead towards the jumbo-tron. Housewife is taking notes and looking at the Jumbo-tron. Trump has his thinker position going on. Church Lady is looking at the Jumbo-tron screen. First time I've seen her look over this way. She usually looks down or straight ahead.
Artist, same as always, hand over mouth, almost a chin grab.
Ponytail is taking notes, something she hasn't done much of lately.
Maureen: I can't see her. Headphones: hand over mouth. Wrestler: slouched
down in his chair looking at the "tron". Neil: hand over mouth. Paco: leaning so far I almost didn't see him. Barb: I can't see her.

ALV has read through the txt messages but doesn't text. People are yawning and bored with the testimony.

I see D in the courtroom front row with ja's family. She's reppin for ALV wearing psychedelic tie-tye.
I notice she has a small tattoo on the back of her neck. Looks like a carp ink-job as
there isn't much design, more like a blob.

There were some ladies from Yreka in the gallery today. I spoke to them as we were waiting. Interesting convo. It is a very small town and everybody knows everybody.
They said ja's mother is a dental assistant and she had to quit her job to attend the trial. The dad runs the restaurant but it's not doing well.
I'm pretty sure the ladies are related. One says her niece worked at Casa Ramos with ja and would get the stare-down from ja. I said " she was sizing up the competiton, all women are a threat in ja's soul-less eyes".

They went on to say that they had dinner at Casa Ramos and that ja was their server after she'd murdered Travis. Whoa... that was a bombshell. So of course we ask, what was she like. The lady said ja was weird, strange. She didn't expand on what it was that was weird about her. The court officials came out to get us right about then.

ok, gotta do some chores.. be back in a bit with more notes. :)

Excuse typos, etc... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members