MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

"FOX 25's Tyisha Fernandes asked Allison Hammond if Lizzie has been asking where her sister is.

"No, because she knows nobody knows, and I know she's confused about it because she was the last one to see her. She says, I didn't see anything, I didn't hear anything, it's just hard on her," says Hammond. "

http://wap.myfoxboston.com/w/main/story/66037415/

I can remember when my daughter was 4-she never would have stopped asking if she didn't know.

Maybe she knows where she is... or maybe she's been instructed not to ask the same questions when there are no answers. Maybe she is constantly being asked to provide answers she doesn't know. It's a lot of pressure for a 4-year old.

From the article:
"She says, I didn't see anything, I didn't hear anything."

It does say that she continues to talk about her sister. I wonder if she still talks about the mysterious man smoking a cigarette.

Maybe she knows where she is... or maybe she's been instructed not to ask the same questions when there are no answers. Maybe she is constantly being asked to provide answers she doesn't know. It's a lot of pressure for a 4-year old.

From the article:

It does say that she continues to talk about her sister. I wonder if she still talks about the mysterious man smoking a cigarette.

I wonder if the mom is paraphrasing as opposed to quoting her daughter. It doesn't sound like something a four year old would say does it?

And he sister was the one who brought up he man smoking, did she see anything or not...

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/topst...was-swept-away

“This tragedy could have been prevented,” Maureen Flatley added in a brief, post-conference interview. “You can’t prevent disease, you can’t prevent terrorism, but you can prevent a loss like this.”

Flatley said she did not know why Allison Hammond was not present at yesterday’s conference, but it was her understanding that the mother was spending her days at the beach with Lizzie.

She said that’s a situation that is a cause for concern for the Harrison family -- particularly Caleigh’s grandmother Antonette, whose inconsolable grief visibly moved the media professionals assembled at Monday’s press conference.

I too would be concerned - for 4-year-old Lizzie. I guess it was a bit of a shock to read that nowadays Allison goes to the beach, taking Lizzie along.
Even more troubling was that Allison snubbed the press conference, opting instead for the ocean, the beach with Lizzie.
IMO

I am so sorry Caleigh. :tears:

caleigh.jpg

If you did get swept out to sea... you had to drown... it bothers ME to think of how that happened.
We went to the beach about a month ago and I thought about YOU frequently... and was bothered.

Maybe people go to the beach to feel closer to you... much like people go to someone's grave?
Maybe... I hope so anyway.

I just hope that you are found... because the thought of your body out there is also tough for me to accept.

caleigh2.jpg

caleigh3.jpg

caleigh4.jpg

The beach?! :eek:
Speechless.

I too went WHAT NOW???? when I heard this but after a while I had another thought.

Maybe mom & sis are going to the beach to "talk" to Caleigh, to feel close to her again....

Grief sometimes manifests itself in odd ways to those outside of a situation.

And please make no mistake - I am not excusing mom's responsibility to keep an eye on Caleigh - but that will be something she will undoubtedly struggle with for the rest of her life.

I am so sorry Caleigh. :tears:

caleigh.jpg

If you did get swept out to sea... you had to drown... it bothers ME to think of how that happened.
We went to the beach about a month ago and I thought about YOU frequently... and was bothered.

Maybe people go to the beach to feel closer to you... much like people go to someone's grave?
Maybe... I hope so anyway.

I just hope that you are found... because the thought of your body out there is also tough for me to accept.

caleigh2.jpg

caleigh3.jpg

caleigh4.jpg

You beat me on that thought. I suspect you did the same thing I did...

Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

From the article:

she was probably expected at four to watch her two year old sister. on a BEACH. With a dangerous undertow.

That is simply insane.

My son is 7, swims, but on the beach we watch him like a hawk. if he is in the water, we are within 10 feet. When he was 2, he wore a life jacket every time we were near the water and generally we held his hand if we were wading in the water. More vigilance if there were waves.

Its much more likely my kid will die of drowning than get kidnapped by a stranger.

Its much more likely that a 2 year old left in the care of a 4 year old on a beach drowned, than she was given away or killed by an adult.

It makes me sad to not hear any news about Caleigh for so long. I hope they (LE) haven't given up hope and are still following any leads in case it was an abduction, which I think we all believe didn't happen, but...

From the same link:
http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-27/lifestyle/31869931_1_caleigh-family-circle-family-members/6

I really hesitate to judge this mother, but geez Louise.....these children are so very young, and yet in their short lives she has struggled to keep up with their whereabouts not once, or twice, but at least 3 times. That seems to be extreme, no?

Holy Crap, yes.

My son was a toddler who was a wandering fool - he has adhd and he didn't have any interest in staying close- he'd run off impulsively to see anything he felt like. Cars, dogs, bodies of water.

But we have NEVER LOST HIM. Ever. Not once. Well, ok, ONE TIME when we were at Great Wolf Lodge and he was 3 or 4 he was in the baby pool (WEARING A LIFE JACKET) and my husband and I were standing over him and we were talking and while we were talking he moved to another part of the pool and so when we looked down from our conversation he was not immediately evident. I looked at mike and said "you go that way, I'll go this way". I found him 20 feet away on the other side of a piece of equipment, just not visible. We lost him ONE TIME for 30 seconds in SEVEN YEARS.

And that was plenty of heart attack for me.

I cannot see how one could be so nonchalant about losing a kid. For even a minute. I can't see how it could happen more than once - the panic is unreal.

My brother and sister in law have lost their youngest several times, she is totally lala and they do not WATCH HER. So I guess other people don't mind almost losing the most precious thing they own.

I can't get my head around it.

When my 3 girls were very young, and the youngest was 5 yrs younger then her older sister (then 3 yrs the middle one), we were on a trip to the Ocean City resort in Maryland. After packing up for the trip back home the girls heard a siren, actually a lot of sirens. It was a huge fire in Ocean City, perhaps one of the largest I've heard of.
It seemed as though thousands of people were walking up the street towards the location of the fire. They asked could we go too?

So off we went, walking, all 5 of them, the 3 girls, (the youngest about 6 I think) they all walked just ahead of us, and we kept saying stay together.
All of a sudden (or so it seemed) the crowd got much much larger, and we lost sight of the little one.
She was gone, just like that!
My heart sank to my feet.
My husband took off faster to push through the thickening crowd looking for her.
I kept seeing tons of cars on the street up and down the promenade, in and out of Ocean City that weekend, and I kept thinking, "OMG, she could be in one of those cars".......we cannot leave this town EVER, until we find our daughter.....I was scared s-----ss

Finally, as though a miracle, he spotted her.
Someone had lifted her up and placed her on a wall so she could see.

The fire could be seen up higher.

I'll never forget that as long as I live.

We eventually lost this daughter through an early death.

When she was 14 she wanted to go to Fireman's school, and joined the Fire Dept.
She was a volunteer searcher on the search & rescue team and once they called early 5AM to arrange a search for a child in tall farmland grasses, and they did find her.

I think she was somewhat upset when she learned she could not pass the fire hose strength test. She was tiny, only 5feet and less then 100 lbs. (maybe 94) and simply didn't have that kind of strength demanded of her for it.

I think it tore at her heart, ..........

So strange things can happen, and for us it was in a huge rather growing crowd of people she disappeared in. She later said, she was mesmerized by the flames.

For little Cayleigh, it must have been mesmerizing her, the ocean's waves OR perhaps a dog she saw, any number of things took her to that shoreline and she disappeared that day . Wasn't there an undertow that fateful day, rather harsher waves?

I think that there is also a bit of luck in parenting. You make a wrong decision once or twice in your childs lifetime and the outcome can go either way. Most of the time the outcome is good and you may not even know the danger your child was in at that moment. Unfortunately this was one of the bad outcomes.

she was probably expected at four to watch her two year old sister. on a BEACH. With a dangerous undertow.

That is simply insane.

My son is 7, swims, but on the beach we watch him like a hawk. if he is in the water, we are within 10 feet. When he was 2, he wore a life jacket every time we were near the water and generally we held his hand if we were wading in the water. More vigilance if there were waves.

Its much more likely my kid will die of drowning than get kidnapped by a stranger.

Its much more likely that a 2 year old left in the care of a 4 year old on a beach drowned, than she was given away or killed by an adult.

NO ONE should expect a 4 y.o. to watch a 2 y.o. but it happens when a parent thinks it's only going to be a minute. Sometimes it turns out fine, sometimes not. Most of us are cautious with our kids near the water. All my boys taught themselves to swim at a very early age, but grownups who are good swimmers have drowned so it pays to be careful.

I would not have made the choice this woman did, to walk away from my children and trust they would stay put for 5 seconds, much less 5 minutes. But some people don't think, they just act. And many live to regret it.
I feel sorry for this remaining child. I hope the mom doesn't lay a guilt trip on her for the rest of her life.

Holy Crap, yes.

My son was a toddler who was a wandering fool - he has adhd and he didn't have any interest in staying close- he'd run off impulsively to see anything he felt like. Cars, dogs, bodies of water.

But we have NEVER LOST HIM. Ever. Not once. Well, ok, ONE TIME when we were at Great Wolf Lodge and he was 3 or 4 he was in the baby pool (WEARING A LIFE JACKET) and my husband and I were standing over him and we were talking and while we were talking he moved to another part of the pool and so when we looked down from our conversation he was not immediately evident. I looked at mike and said "you go that way, I'll go this way". I found him 20 feet away on the other side of a piece of equipment, just not visible. We lost him ONE TIME for 30 seconds in SEVEN YEARS.

And that was plenty of heart attack for me.

I cannot see how one could be so nonchalant about losing a kid. For even a minute. I can't see how it could happen more than once - the panic is unreal.

My brother and sister in law have lost their youngest several times, she is totally lala and they do not WATCH HER. So I guess other people don't mind almost losing the most precious thing they own.

I can't get my head around it.

You were lucky. It happens to many parents, and sometimes it has a good ending... sometimes not. In all fairness, most of these parents were not careless at all, just victims of circumstances. I would never blame a parent for a child being lost in a big crowd, unless I knew they were deliberately reckless. It's too easy to say, oh, this would NEVER happen to me, I am SO careful! Two seconds... that's all it takes to change your life forever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back