Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds nice doesn't it? Enjoy the warmth and stay safe today!

We're cloudy, but so far no tornado warnings of any kind. We've got gusts up to about 45-50 miles an hour, but nothing sustained to speak of. My daughter is brining home friends after the last day of school today to swim, so hopefully all will be well.

You be safe too!!!! Bundle up. Its cold.:)

Ahhhh!

Im in that "high" pink area! oh no! i have so much to do today.

& we just had really bad weather on tuesday! ugh.

thanks! ugh i hate rain!
my hair will get messed up! :(

do you we usually have bad weather in june??
It is unpredictable here in Texas. June is usually hot and freaking bone dry, but this morning we had HUGE winds that broke two palm tree limbs and thunder bursts. :eek: I hate rain hair too because I have naturally curly hair, which means I have ringlets all over my head when it gets wet. :bang:

It is unpredictable here in Texas. June is usually hot and freaking bone dry, but this morning we had HUGE winds that broke two palm tree limbs and thunder bursts. :eek: I hate rain hair too because I have naturally curly hair, which means I have ringlets all over my head when it gets wet. :bang:

me too!
its not bad here yet.
and the news guy said we wont get anything till TONIGHT so i think ill be okay for today!

I am in the high pink area too. I am just west of Wichita. The storms have start just a little west of here already. The radio has been talkinga bout the storms for the last 3 days now there suppose to be very bad.

We are cold and rainy here in the SW mountains of Colorado. I heard this morning that severe weather was east of Colorado Springs. Yesterday it was warm and sunny and I had every window open. This time last year the weather was nothing like this.

Please, all of our friends in these areas...be safe and listen to your local forcasts.

"there is an abundance of twist in the atmosphere focused over Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa. The potential is high for numerous large, violent, long-tracking tornadoes (EF2 - EF5) to march over these states this afternoon, evening, and late night hours..."
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/stormwatch/?from=hp_news

OMAHA, Neb. - Forecasters said the Midwest and the Great Plains could face a series of storms Thursday as devastating as those on a deadly day in 1974 when 39 tornadoes touched down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24989743/

Map:
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/alerts/region/severeWxAlertsCNUS.html

The following tornado warnings (NOT watches...WARNINGS) are in effect as of 1:53 PM Central time:

TORNADO WARNING FOR DECATUR COUNTY, NORTON COUNTY, KS
RED WILLOW COUNTY, NE

TORNADO WARNING FOR GOVE COUNTY, GRAHAM COUNTY, SHERIDAN COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR ELLSWORTH COUNTY, LINCOLN COUNTY, SALINE COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR ELLSWORTH COUNTY, MC PHERSON COUNTY, RENO COUNTY, RICE COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR TREGO COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR BARBER COUNTY, PRATT COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR GRAHAM COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR DECATUR COUNTY, NORTON COUNTY, KS RED WILLOW COUNTY, NE

http://www.weather.com/weather/newscenter/alerts/nswxcategory/KS?from=news_alert_natl_states

http://www.weather.com/weather/newscenter/alerts/nswxcategory/NE?from=news_alert_natl_states

The following tornado warnings (NOT watches...WARNINGS) are in effect as of 1:53 PM Central time:

TORNADO WARNING FOR DECATUR COUNTY, NORTON COUNTY, KS
RED WILLOW COUNTY, NE

TORNADO WARNING FOR GOVE COUNTY, GRAHAM COUNTY, SHERIDAN COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR ELLSWORTH COUNTY, LINCOLN COUNTY, SALINE COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR ELLSWORTH COUNTY, MC PHERSON COUNTY, RENO COUNTY, RICE COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR TREGO COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR BARBER COUNTY, PRATT COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR GRAHAM COUNTY, KS

TORNADO WARNING FOR DECATUR COUNTY, NORTON COUNTY, KS RED WILLOW COUNTY, NE

http://www.weather.com/weather/newscenter/alerts/nswxcategory/KS?from=news_alert_natl_states

http://www.weather.com/weather/newscenter/alerts/nswxcategory/NE?from=news_alert_natl_states

This is exactly what I was warning about in the other thread. I had a feeling this would happen. God be with everyone in the paths of these storms, in Jesus' Name, amen.

Hopefully anyone in the paths of these storms is taking shelter and not reading right now....but just in case...

When a tornado warning has been issued, you may have very little time to prepare.
How you respond now is critical. And how you react depends on where you are.

IN A FRAME HOME
Make sure you have a portable radio, preferably a NOAA weather radio, for information.
Seek shelter in the lowest level of your home (basement or storm cellar). If there is no basement, go to an inner hallway, a smaller inner room, or a closet. Keep away from all windows.
You can cushion yourself with a mattress, but do not use one to cover yourself. Do cover your head and eyes with a blanket or jacket to protect against flying debris and broken glass. Don't waste time moving mattresses around.
Keep your pet on a leash or in a carrier.
Multiple tornadoes can emerge from the same storm, so do not go out until the storm has passed.
Do not leave a building to attempt to "escape" a tornado.

IN A MOBILE HOME
Leave your mobile home immediately and take shelter elsewhere.
Outside
Try to get inside and seek a small protected space with no windows.
Avoid large-span roof areas such as school gymnasiums, arenas, or shopping malls.
If you cannot get inside, crouch for protection beside a strong structure, or lie flat in a ditch or low-lying area and cover your head and neck with your arms or a piece of clothing.

IN A CAR

Ideally, you should avoid driving when tornadoes or other kinds of dangerous weather threaten, because a vehicle is a very unsafe place to be. If, however, this is not possible, stay as calm as possible, and assess the situation.
Your best option might be to get out of the car and lie flat in a ditch or other low-lying area that is sufficiently deep enough to protect against the wind.
If you do so, beware of water runoff from heavy rain that could pose a hazard; get as far away from the vehicle as possible and shield your head from flying debris.
Or, if possible, take shelter immediately in a nearby building.

http://www.weather.com/ready/tornado/warning.html?from=safety_Tornadoes

They just issued a tornado watch for my county.

I hope this is not as bad as everyone says!

From the national weather service:

TORNADO WARNING
KSC117-052245-
/O.NEW.KTOP.TO.W.0011.080605T2205Z-080605T2245Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOPEKA KS
505 PM CDT THU JUN 5 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TOPEKA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
MARSHALL COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS...

* UNTIL 545 PM CDT

* AT 504 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR
WATERVILLE...OR 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MARYSVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST
AT 59 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
MARYSVILLE...
FRANKFORT...
OKETO...
BEATTIE...
AXTELL...
SUMMERFIELD...

THIS STORM HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING TORNADOES. TAKE COVER IN A
BASEMENT OR STORM SHELTER NOW!

FOR YOUR SAFETY...GO TO A STORM SHELTER OR BASEMENT NOW! TORNADOES
MAY HAVE WINDS GREATER THAN 100 MPH. AVOID OVERPASSES AND WINDOWS...
AND COVER YOUR HEAD.

LEAVE MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES...AND GO TO A BASEMENT OR STORM
SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THE NEAREST DITCH
OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD. AVOID OVERPASSES.

STAY TUNED TO WEATHER RADIO OR LOCAL MEDIA OUTLETS FOR THE LATEST
SEVERE WEATHER INFORMATION.

LAT...LON 4000 9624 3985 9624 3956 9654 3956 9680
3982 9680 3999 9665
TIME...MOT...LOC 2205Z 227DEG 51KT 3970 9678

We are cold and rainy here in the SW mountains of Colorado. I heard this morning that severe weather was east of Colorado Springs. Yesterday it was warm and sunny and I had every window open. This time last year the weather was nothing like this.
Yes, beginning at 5:30 this morning we received 1/4 inch. We have watched rain and sever storms split and totally miss us. We desparately need rain, but the patterns give us a few clouds and some strong winds and form into major storms in Kansas. I was on the phone to my internet service this morning a bit southwest of us as they were getting pounding with a heavy storm and hail. We finally got another 1/4 inch and have had a little bit more in sprinkles. I know we have a reputation of starting severe weather here, but not really being the receipeint of the moisture ourselves. It either stays south then east to Kansas, or drifts north before we get moisture.

Do take care all of those in the path of the system.

I have a suggestion to all. Go to a site called:

accuweather.com and set your radar to "local" You should find a NOAA radar near you. You will get the storms in real time and can "animate" and watch it move. It is something I do watch as well as the forcast on NOAA.gov for my local area (Goodland, KS for me).

Keeping you guys in my thoughts... stay safe!

It was so bad here last night schools were closed today because trees are down everywhere. Our electricity was out for hours. There was a Tornado that touched down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288