LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about the bike and where it was found, as has been proposed before, it may have been dropped off by someone who happened upon the bike the same night MS disappeared or early the next morning.
Maybe once the thief realized the significance of the 'stolen' bike that they had in their possession they may have freaked out. Instead of doing the right thing by going immediately to LE and reporting where they found the bike in the first place, they decide to ditch it in a remote location but not so much so that the bike would never be found.

Pros and cons to this theory? I'll begin,

Con No. 1. ~ If witnessed dropping the bike off, they'd become suspects in a kidnapping case versus simply a bike thief/s. Would anyone take that risk? Once the bike was ditched, they'd be guilty of impeding an investigation as well.

When I think about it, it doesn't seem plausible that an abductor would take the extra time or trouble to grab the bike, too.

It makes far more sense for him to just grab Mickey and split.

Like you said, Woe, it seems likely, now, that Mickey's bike had been left behind, only to be snatched up by some unsuspecting bike thief who dumped the Schwin when he realized the bike was much hotter than he ever could have imagined.

JMO

I got a question for the "locals" cuz I'm pretty local but not real real local...
Does that road that is in the pictures on the news go all the way through to 190? Anytime I ever went to shurburne we went down 190 and exited right after the bridge in big beautiful krotz springs. So I was wondering since shurburne had been mentioned earlier does that same road go all the way through to where we used to go?

I agree with you. We're talking about a psychopath who abducted a woman right in a city! I don't think he would be the least bit put off dumping her bike off a ramp or driving down to the surface road and calmly placing it with the trash. This is a cold, cunning, premeditating criminal who thinks he can't get caught.

This is the exact vibe that I recieve from this chain of events. A sadistic and possibly serial abductor who thinks he cannot be caught.

OK, I'm serious. Looking at Google Earth, and knowing there's no shoulder, there's no way he dumped the bike off I-10. He'd have to stop at the bottom of that bridge, knowing that someone doing 90 mph could come right up behind and cream him, just in the time it took to get out and lift the bike to the rail.

That bike was put there from ground level. Notice that the photos have the LE vehicles parked on the west side, on the north-south road. Repeat - there is NO shoulder on I-10 there.

I got a question for the "locals" cuz I'm pretty local but not real real local...
Does that road that is in the pictures on the news go all the way through to 190? Anytime I ever went to shurburne we went down 190 and exited right after the bridge in big beautiful krotz springs. So I was wondering since shurburne had been mentioned earlier does that same road go all the way through to where we used to go?

I don't think any other highway is accessible from the basin. Just Ole' I-10

Any of y'all have Google Earth, put in the coordinates: 30°22'01.48" N 91°37'53.26" W so you can see the layout.

Possible.... possible. But that sure would be a back way to go. But not impossible. That's the levee road.

Which is a gravel road that requires extensive knowledge, let's hope he didn't travel these roads.

Yikes. One of the RSO's who live in the vicinity is from Krotz Springs. He's also the owner of a white 4-door pick-up.

I'll have to dig for the link to his profile. IIRC, he's a violent offender. Gotta confirm.

Yes. The levee road goes all the way north to Krotz Springs.

He could have taken I-49 north to Opelousas, east on 190, and south at Krotz Springs and arrived at Whiskey Bay.

Google Earth is a great tool.

Who is out and about that time of morning? Speaks of 'younger' group to me. Bar crowd, etc.......

When I think about it, it doesn't seem plausible that an abductor would take the extra time or trouble to grab the bike, too.

It makes far more sense for him to just grab Mickey and split.

Like you said, Woe, it seems likely, now, that Mickey's bike had been left behind, only to be snatched up by some unsuspecting bike thief who dumped the Schwin when he realized the bike was much hotter than he ever could have imagined.

JMO
Unless he bumped/lightly hit her on her bike past the traffic cameras (not a big enough hit to leave any sign of it along her route & she was pretty much ok and maybe bike wasn't as okay (or maybe it was) and he offers her a ride to the hospital or her home (depending if she's hurt a little or not). (this theory would also mean she accepted ride, who knows how likely that is - but I knew some cyclists in college who had similar things happen who were brought back to campus or home by person who hit them...none of them were seriously hurt). He throws her bike in back of vehicle (vehicle must be able to hold bike somehow) and she and bike go with him. That's the only way the possibilty of the perp having/taking the bike and Mickey makes sense to me.....
This is

OK, I'm serious. Looking at Google Earth, and knowing there's no shoulder, there's no way he dumped the bike off I-10. He'd have to stop at the bottom of that bridge, knowing that someone doing 90 mph could come right up behind and cream him, just in the time it took to get out and lift the bike to the rail.

That bike was put there from ground level. Notice that the photos have the LE vehicles parked on the west side, on the north-south road. Repeat - there is NO shoulder on I-10 there.

http://www.okroads.com/121303/i10laexit127.JPG

That picture shows very little / no shoulder.

Also, you can plug the coords 30°22'01.48" N 91°37'53.26" W into Google Maps. I'm not sure how different the picture is in Google Earth.

Yes: Hoot hoot. :)

I agree re: the Caddy. That's one vehicle that won't be hard to spot. And I'm out kid-taxiing enough to be able to spot it if it's there to spot.

Plus, I've got a crew of observant (read: nosy) individuals under my roof. Heh.

Train 'em to find those huge old 4-door classic-looking Caddys.

Any color. Look for right rear fender damage. Kids have sharp eyes!

Yikes. One of the RSO's who live in the vicinity is from Krotz Springs. He's also the owner of a white 4-door pick-up.

I'll have to dig for the link to his profile. IIRC, he's a violent offender. Gotta confirm.

I called the RSO into the tip line today. He was last verified 5/23/12 so I believe that he may have been checked out by LE already bc of his vehicle.

http://www.okroads.com/121303/i10laexit127.JPG

That picture shows very little / no shoulder.

Also, you can plug the coords 30°22'01.48" N 91°37'53.26" W into Google Maps. I'm not sure how different the picture is in Google Earth.

I'm telling you this from personal experience. There is NO shoulder across that bridge. Not even enough to park a motorcycle.

He didn't stop on the bridge to toss it unless he was a total lunatic. Even perps don't want to get rear-ended at 90 mph, which is what a good number of out-of-state people do across that bridge.

I'm telling you this from personal experience. There is NO shoulder across that bridge. Not even enough to park a motorcycle.

He didn't stop on the bridge to toss it unless he was a total lunatic. Even perps don't want to get rear-ended at 90 mph, which is what a good number of out-of-state people do across that bridge.

Right, I'm agreeing with you. Just a picture to confirm for people not familiar with the area. Apologize for the misunderstanding. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak