OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
I am unsure how elementary schools are structured there but a 7 year old in 2nd grade where I am at would not have more than one teacher (except for classes like music or PE which do not take place every day but only a couple of days a week for an hour each). So there may have only been one teacher to be concerned or not as to where he was.

I don't live there either, tlcox...

Here, though, kids go to homeroom, then to reading, then back to homeroom, then to PE, then back to homeroom, and then sometimes to art.

And all homerooms have teaching assistants... or they did until our district cut the assistants because of economic woes.

His classmates may have missed him though and said to the teacher hey were is Kyron and the answer was???? He had an appointment with his mother and he'll be back? IDK but most 7 year olds I know ask lots of questions and it appears that Kyron was liked someone musta asked where is he??

Still wonder why LE wouldn't comment on a reporter's question about whether or not there was a "makeshift" home in the woods.

Look at all the windows at the SW exit Kyron was seen at!

Rumor: mentioned in one of the earliest threads that several students reported a strange, creepy man by the school. Could that have been the incident reported in police logs?

Recently posted in the previous thread (not a fact, just someone's post): the person to see Kyron last was his best friend and desk-mate... He was said to have been interviewed on tv. Hope he's getting protection 24-7 also.

I don't have the right vocabulary, but this sounds like "an inside job" in so many ways... LE behavior, family behavior, the stifling of the principal's responses to questions by LE (even though it was intimated it would be a brief conference)... the way LE mentioned criminal background checks... the principal's eyes seen shifting in the video (he may have been freaked out and in shock too)....

If canines were brought into the school, and they didn't have a hit, that makes this a larger mystery. However, with Kyron at 50 pounds (I'm sad to imagine this, and really sorry for this image), I could carry a child out in a duffel bag with one hand, while carrying some science fair display material (or some other "this-is-just-normal" stuff) in the other hand...

If LE feels people aren't at risk, that this was a specific crime, then I feel they know who is responsible and are watching that person. Otherwise, it would be irresponsible to endanger the public.

So, it sounds like it's just a few more days until they put together enough evidence to ensure a conviction (JMHO). I have a sinking feeling about Kyron's well-being today, but from reading here, apparently the parents and LE seem "better" --- maybe in terms of a resolution (Kyron found, or ransom paid), or just closure after days of exhaustion and hellish stress.

Ransom? This isn't a ransom case.

If you are referring to the PE teacher/art teacher/etc., no, I think they probably just assume that the regular teacher knows that a child is absent and it doesn't really raise flags.

There has to be a reason why the teacher wasn't alarmed, surprised, curious about Kyrons' absence. Wish we knew why.

As an experienced classroom teacher I can't wrap my head around all this. Most of my experience is with 5th graders (a little older than Kyron) however, I was constantly "counting heads" - visual monitoring.

Those days - science fair, talent show, etc. are very hectic and usually logistical nightmares. Even more reason to keep track of your kids.

Teacher knew he was there in the AM and yet "gone by 10 AM or so". Without a parent or guardian telling me they were taking him - I would have raised red flags immediately. Then when the talent show rolls around and he's a participant - and not there? Definitely would have been asking questions and talking to the principal and security based at the school.

Who was running the talent show? Probably another teacher - possibly the music teacher. Didn't he/she do a "roll call" of participants? What action was taken when Kyron wasn't there for that?

With Kyron being an even younger child - this teacher should have been more vigilant about her responsiblities. JMHO

I don't think we know for sure if he was a participant in the talent show.

If I can please get this straight.He was seen at the south entrance at the school?Is that the front of the school?Why would he be at that entrance?I'm starting to believe he was waiting for someone.

Suzanne, if you're facing the building, on the righthand side, there's a door that opens out into the parking lot on the end of the building. It's kinda confusing because the building sits catiwompus, not inline with the cardinal directions. I think that door was open during the events that day--and that may have been the door that was mentioned.

Some other people have posted photos of the building where you can clearly see the doors...maybe they'll post again...

Maybe we need a links post on the beginning of each thread--to keep all the good stuff together.

His classmates may have missed him though and said to the teacher hey were is Kyron and the answer was???? He had an appointment with his mother and he'll be back? IDK but most 7 year olds I know ask lots of questions and it appears that Kyron was liked someone musta asked where is he??

Also there was the science fair that he so proudly put together his exibit.
Everyone that walked by saw that he was not there at his science fair table/exibit when the science fair was going on. Between this and missing from his classes - where did the school think he was at in order not to be alarmed?

There has to be a reason why the teacher wasn't alarmed, surprised, curious about Kyrons' absence. Wish we knew why.

At my daughter's elementary school, if the child is not in their seat by 8:00, the parents are contacted immediately -- unless the parents have already let the school or teacher know about a sickness, etc.

If there is a doctor's appointment and a child has to leave class -- they are walked by two other students to the front -- so there are always two students walking back.

All bathrooms are in the actual classroom itself -- so they never get to wander.

Ransom? This isn't a ransom case.

Hey swa, not knowing what kind of a case this is, I was just including that possibility while looking for some reason the media and videos have implied that resolution will be at a specific time (end of week). I ain't no professional!!!

Was it mandatory for the kids to stay at school that day? They get done with the science fair at 10:00, then it's almost lunch time and not long before the talent show. Maybe it was an optional day for the kids and if both parents were working out of the home, the kids would more likely stay there. Now, if the teacher knew the mom or dad was home during the day, she might have assumed that child went home. I'm curious if any other kids went home early that day.

I don't think we know for sure if he was a participant in the talent show.

Vickie Coghill, a 35-year resident of Portland's Skyline area, pointed to the billboard outside the school, which reads "June 4, I.B. Inquiry Expo, 8-10, Talent show, 1-2:45." Kyron was to take part in both the expo/science fair and the talent show, Coghill said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/day_three_search_continues_hun.html

"On a normal day, seeing a stranger will make you go, 'Hmm. I wonder who that is?' On such a hectic day as Friday, there was such a lot going on. To tell you the truth, I was focused on looking at the (science) project and helping Jacob fill out his (evaluation) form and not on the faces around me."

Schreiber said Kyron was supposed to perform in the school's talent show at 1 p.m. but she didn't see him there.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145876953

Those are both parents at the school...so maybe it's not substantial confirmation.

Also there was the science fair that he so proudly put together his exibit.
Everyone that walked by saw that he was not there at his science fair table/exibit when the science fair was going on. Between this and missing from his classes - where did the school think he was at in order not to be alarmed?

None of the kids were standing by their displays....it was a set up and tour kind of a thing. If they were to tour in groups of five through all the other rooms, NONE of the kids would have been left behind to stand by their displays. If you look at the picture his sm took, there is only one other little girl in the room at the time.

jmoo

Here, though, kids go to homeroom, then to reading, then back to homeroom, then to PE, then back to homeroom, and then sometimes to art.

And all homerooms have teaching assistants... or they did until our district cut the assistants because of economic woes.
In my state, kids who need extra help also have additional teachers in separate rooms to assist them in math or reading.

Posted on last thread by CharlestonGal:
Yes, teens who become very angry at their parents can certainly strike out and do heinous things to hurt them where it hurts most.

Or to hurt other adults?

Stepmom is a teacher. I realize she's now a stay at home mom (IIRC, baby is 18 months old), but when did she last work as a teacher? Where did she teach? Was she ever involved in any ugly incidents with (now former) students and/or their parents? Did she ever serve in an administrative / disciplinary position, even temporarily as cover or in an 'on-call' status? Did she ever have any complaints filed against her (legit or not)? (I'd also include any incidents involving other teachers and staff, of course) FWIW, I listened to the scanner while awaiting the thread to reopen last night; I noticed mention of 'gang' more than once.

I know this is stupid and a BIG stretch, but some people have very long memories and hold grudges for a long time.

BTW, regarding the 'gym' comments. We don't know the background and circumstances surrounding this. For all we know, it was something set up with LE to somehow bait the person(s) involved in Kyron's disappearance.

The school didn't have any kind of decent answer to that question. The superintendent said that two teachers saw Kryon with his SM and just "assumed" he had left with her.

That didn't make any kind of sense to me whatsoever - weren't alot of the parents there at school that morning as well? It's not like it was odd that Kyron's SM was there and the assumption could be made that he left with her. On a regular day, maybe that would make sense. But it doesn't make sense to jump to that conclusion on THIS day.

The teachers and the school haven't offered any kind of reasonable excuse as to why they didn't follow up on Kyron's disappearance from the school. They admit they noticed, but they didn't do anything about it.

It sounds like to me she honestly thought he was with the mother at an appointment?

I wish we had more locals on the thread to give us a picture of a normal day for a 2nd grader at Skyline. It would make it so much easier for us to find out what was off or diferent about this day if we knew more about how a regular one was structured.

At my kids elementary school there is no homeroom, etc. There is simply the classroom and their teacher. They leave the room for recess, lunch and twice a week for music/art and PE.

Also it would be interesting to know the class size of Kyron's class. My kids were blessed with very small class size (10 to 15 students) this year but there are other schools in my disctrict had extremely large class size (28 to 30).

Suzanne, if you're facing the building, on the righthand side, there's a door that opens out into the parking lot on the end of the building. It's kinda confusing because the building sits catiwompus, not inline with the cardinal directions. I think that door was open during the events that day--and that may have been the door that was mentioned.

Some other people have posted photos of the building where you can clearly see the doors...maybe they'll post again...

Maybe we need a links post on the beginning of each thread--to keep all the good stuff together.
Thank you.I'm still confused with all of them LOL.

To use that excuse to lure him , they would need to be familiar with his weakness for that kind of thing. So it had to be someone he was familiar with. Was this out in someones car?
There was such a small window of time. I wonder if the perp. was becoming more anxious as the school year was coming to a close, and grabbed the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle