*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
and it's been all over the news. I didn't read the linked article but I've heard the story about the guns being the same as "no-name's" and clippings about the colorado killings and he told them he had gone to the Batman movie with a gun etc. He was stopped for speeding going 112mph. Apparently he has told police he was going to shoot his employer-he had abruptly quit his job last week.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061148009&srvc=news&position=4

Apparently, he was prescribed several medications before committing the murders. So, if that is the case, the jail cannot withhold those medications from him. Now, what those medications actually are, I'm not sure.

He hasn't been put on any meds while in jail.

And I can guarantee at any jail in the country, if you come in spitting at everyone, they are going to medicate you and quickly.

And I can guarantee at any jail in the country, if you come in spitting at everyone, they are going to medicate you and quickly.

While you can guarantee it, I don't think that rumor about him spitting is accurate.

Old but relevant article.

They Threaten, Seethe and Unhinge, Then Kill in Quantity ( link )
By FORD FESSENDEN; Reporting for this series was by Fox Butterfield, Ford Fessenden, William Glaberson and Laurie Goodstein, with research assistance from Anthony Zirilli and other members of the news research staff of The New York Times
Published: April 09, 2000

They are not drunk or high on drugs. They are not racists or Satanists, or addicted to violent video games, movies or music.

Most are white men, but a surprising number are women, Asians and blacks. Many have college degrees, but most are unemployed. Many are military veterans.

They give lots of warning and even tell people explicitly what they plan to do. They carry semiautomatic weapons they have obtained easily and, in most cases, legally.

They do not try to get away. In the end, half turn their guns on themselves or are shot dead by others. They not only want to kill, they also want to die.

That is the profile of the 102 killers in 100 rampage attacks examined by The New York Times in a computer-assisted study looking back more than 50 years and including the shootings in 1999 at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., and one by a World War II veteran on a residential street in Camden, N.J., in 1949. Four hundred twenty-five people were killed and 510 people were injured in the attacks. The database, which primarily focused on cases in the last decade, is believed to be the largest ever compiled on this phenomenon in the United States.

[...]

These are among the findings:
  • While the killings have caused many people to point to the violent aspects of the culture, a closer look shows little evidence that video games, movies or television encouraged many of the attacks. In only 6 of the 100 cases did the killers have a known interest in violent video games. Seven other killers showed an interest in violent movies.

• In a decade that had a sharp decrease in almost all kinds of homicides, the incidence of these rampage killings appears to have increased, according to a separate computer analysis by The Times of nearly 25 years of homicide data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Still, these killings remain extremely rare, much less than 1 percent of all homicides.

• Society has turned to law enforcement to resolve the rampage killings that have become almost a staple of the nightly news. There has been an increasing call for greater security in schools and in the workplace. But a closer look shows that these cases may have more to do with society's lack of knowledge of mental health issues, rather than a lack of security. In case after case, family members, teachers and mental health professionals missed or dismissed signs of deterioration.
[...]

Perhaps the aspect that most set these crimes apart, aside from their spectacular nature, was this: Regular criminals try to get away with their crimes. More than a third of regular homicides went unsolved in 1997. But among the 102 killers in the Times database, not one got away. Eighty-nine never even left the scene of the crime.

Lets please try to keep things civil. This is a very sad and tragic incident that has happened. Many people have many different theories thoughts and ideas which is ok. Its good to hear everyones point of view even if we dont agree with them. Its good to talk through things but please keep it nice.

No. You will quickly be placed in restraints, a spit guard placed on you and moved to isolation. Jails do not take it upon themselves to dispense medication. If you are convulsing on the floor, they'll come in & take you to the hospital. If you are already on a prescription med, you do not automatically get it. It can take days for a prescription to be validated, brought in & dispensed.

I mean, did he say, Hey, I'm on *advertiser censored* med and I need it!!
Ok, let me run to CVS and get that for you! Or better yet, have a friend bring in an opened bottle of pills and we'll just take your word on what it is.

He is being held in county, not State or Federal where there is typically medical staff (other than a booking nurse) employed.

Please stop. Don't make this so personal. It's not necessary.

In my Sheriff days back in CA in the late 1990's, we did NOT automatically send a spitter to the nurse's station for meds.

Spit masks, have them sit there for a few hours. Yep, worked many times.

Just my experience.

There was never any names given of who exactly claims JH is a spitter. And the jail official denied it. And another article claim JH is very polite and says "thank you" to jail employees who bring him food. There is no indication than this spitting story is any more accurate than the one about JH not being medicated while in jail.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_21142116

In blog posts, at water coolers and on websites, people are endlessly speculating about the demeanor of shooting suspect James Eagan Holmes in his first courtroom appearance Monday.

Levin, the author of "Serial Killers and Sadistic Murderers: Up Close and Personal," has studied mass murderers for more than 30 years.

Holmes' alleged behavior differed from most other mass murderers, and that suggests he is psychotic, Levin said.

"Other experts, like David Eagleman, director of the Initiative on Neuroscience and the Law, believe that a schizophrenic would have a hard time following such an ambitious plan as that which Holmes allegedly devised."

Read more: Criminology professor says interpreting any expression is subjective - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_21142116#ixzz21ViR7BM6
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Great post sir trying to post this and my ISP crashed !

The NYT has “found” that over 50% of all rampage killers are simply “victims of mental illness.”
1. www.navlog.org/rampage_killers.html

They plan everything about the killings, he says, except how to get away.
It's very unusual for the killer to open fire on strangers. He's much more likely to be selective in his choice of victims,"
"The more indiscriminate the massacre, the more likely it is that mental illness plays a part."
But they don't 'snap,' as you so often hear people say," Welner says. "It's more like a hinge swings open, and all this anger comes out."
http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-explain-what-makes-a-mass-murderer-2012-7
The NYT has “found” that over 50% of all rampage killers are simply “victims of mental illness.”
2. www.navlog.org/rampage_killers.html
The issue has been studied specifically per rampage killings, and about half of the individuals studied were formally diagnosed mentally ill and often schizophrenic. Many were reported as receiving no treatment for their mental illnesses or were not taking their prescribed medications prior to the rampage killings.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf204653-0-75.html

It also found that rampage killers share several traits. Most are better educated than typical murderers,

Cultural influences on this group, such as violent entertainment, seemed to have little impact. Instead, the most common factor was serious mental health problems.

Most of their rampage attacks were not sudden, impulsive acts but the culmination of years of rage, depression and mental illness.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf204653-0-75.html

(Reuters) - The booby-trapped apartment of the man accused of killing 12 people and wounding 58 others in last week's movie theater shooting in Colorado was effectively a "house bomb" rarely seen outside of war zones, a former FBI agent said on Tuesday.

"We've seen them in places like Iraq and Afghanistan," said Lopez, who was an explosives expert during his FBI career, which included a stint in Afghanistan. "But this is the first one that I can actually recall ever reading or seeing about in the United States where it was actually set to destroy the home."

Lopez said the array in Holmes' apartment, which police believe was designed to kill first responders, required no special training to set up.

"This kind of information exists on the Internet," Lopez said. "If you're looking to wire explosives, it is on the Internet. With a little bit of common sense, and he has quite a bit of that, he's very intelligent, he just put it all together and had something ready for the apartment."

more at link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/us-usa-shooting-denver-idUSBRE86N0WT20120724

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...lmes-received-26K-year-studies?nclick_check=1

The program to which Holmes was accepted last fall admits just six students a year. Candidates have top grades and “near perfect” test scores, Shur said. They undergo a background check but no mental examination. “No program requires psychiatric evaluation, to the best of my knowledge,”

bbm

I believe it would not even be legal for a school to require psychiatric evaluation.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...lmes-received-26K-year-studies?nclick_check=1

The program to which Holmes was accepted last fall admits just six students a year. Candidates have top grades and “near perfect” test scores, Shur said. They undergo a background check but no mental examination. “No program requires psychiatric evaluation, to the best of my knowledge,”

bbm
I would think, especially in grad school (often small group who "travel" the program together(!) collegues, academic folks would be certainly alarmed if someones performance plummeted as it has been reported JH did.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57478765/3-arrested-in-separate-dark-knight-incidents/

At least 3 men accused of making threats during or after watching the new Batman movie have been arrested in separate incidents, underscoring moviegoers' anxieties and heightened security in the wake of a deadly mass shooting at a Colorado theater showing the film.​
I saw this did your opinion of situation change when you got to the last third (I think mine was MSNBC! That one linked here in Maine is really really really scary tho !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong