Evidence subject to Frye - *UPDATED* 2011.05.09 (ATTN: ALL ORDERS IN!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter a bit ago:

CFNews13Casey Casey Anthony News13

Judge Perry rules air samples from trunk of #CaseyAnthony car will Be allowed at trial. -fell

Yes!!!!
This is just too much excitement for one morning. Waiting for the announcement that Yuri won too. Job interview at 10 am... omg, I have to step away!!

Can't wait to get back and catch up... hopefully read HHJP's order on the air samples. :great:

YES!!!!!!!! I really didn't think he'd allow them in! GO HHJP!!!!!

What's that I hear? Is that the last nail in your coffin, Casey?

Air samples IN!
Looks like Jeff Ashton will be breaking ground again by introducing this technique at trial. Huge blow to the defense.

Judge Rules On Casey 'Sniff Test' Evidence
Judge: Sniff Tests Allowed Into Trial

"Snip" UPDATED: 9:06 am EDT May 9, 2011

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-ex...n=caseyupdates

Wow! I just read the opinion. As he said HHJP does his own research. He goes into great details not just on Dr. Vass's published works and report but he heavily references Stephenapolous (sp?)'s works as well.

The way he uses one of those Stephenopolous references is utterly brilliant. It brings in not just the air sampling tests, but brings in that the human noses ability to detect "putrification" events is clear and well documented and well established and is generally accepted science. And that Dr. Vass is considered an expert on smelling such events. (The way he phrased it is fantastic. It undercuts any defense complaints about the odor identification by YM, the tow yard guy and leaves the door wide open and off its hinges for "It smells like theres been a dead body in the damned car!".

Clean sweep for the SA. It's ALL coming in! :hero:

OMG!! :great:
The air test are coming in! :great:
Oh happy day!!:great:

Wow! I just read the opinion. As he said HHJP does his own research. He goes into great details not just on Dr. Vass's published works and report but he heavily references Stephenapolous (sp?)'s works as well.

The way he uses one of those Stephenopolous references is utterly brilliant. It brings in not just the air sampling tests, but brings in that the human noses ability to detect "putrification" events is clear and well documented and well established and is generally accepted science. And that Dr. Vass is considered an expert on smelling such events. (The way he phrased it is fantastic. It undercuts any defense complaints about the odor identification by YM, the tow yard guy and leaves the door wide open and off its hinges for "It smells like theres been a dead body in the damned car!".

Clean sweep for the SA. It's ALL coming in! :hero:

Pretty cool, huh?

Words can not describe how I'm feeling! God has answered alot of prayers from alot of ppl so Caylee will have justice. If this not the place for this post feel free to move it

OMG!! :great:
The air test are coming in! :great:
Oh happy day!!:great:

Yes I am so darned excited!!! I was slightly optimistic and must say that the longer he held out on ruling the more inclined I was to believe he would denie the DT Motion! Way to go HHJBP!!! Utterly brilliant in both his research and the way he wrote the ruling.

I am wondering how many times per day at this time the DT kicks themselves for getting HHJSS kicked off of this case. Cause IMO it was their best and only hope for any kind of mistrial or appeals issues. It aint gonna happen on HHJBP watch for sure...

Justice for Caylee........it is a banner day!

Wow! 23 Pages to Deny! Great Detail! Way to Go Judge Perry! :great:

snips from the motion:

"There is no question based upon the evidence and the case law that the GC-MS is able to analyze and determine the chemical composition of the gases (air samples) thet were captured in these studies as a result of human decomposition. Forensic science has recognized for over forty years the ability of the GC-MS to do just what was done by Dr. Vass - the separation and analysis of complex mixtures of volatile organic and inorganic compounds."

(The science is reliable and accepted)

"Thus, Dr. Vass, based upon his background, training and experience could offer opinion testimony concerning the odor he smelled emanating from the sealed container."

(The nose knows)

"In Berry v. CSX Trans,., Inc., 709 S0 2d 552 (Fla. 1st DCA 1998), the court held, under Frye and its Florida progeny, when an expert's opinion is well founded and based upon generally accepted scientific principles and methodology, it is not necessary the expert's opinion be genrally accepted as well. It found that alleged defects in the studies upon which the expert relied go to the weight, rather than the admissibility, of the studies, which is to be considered by the fact finder. The court held "the fact that the experts have all derived their opinions from the same generally-accepted methodology..., but simply diagree upon how to interpret the scientifically (and legally) reliable data, is not a valid reason for excluding the ... experts' opinion altogether." ID. at 571. The court noted "Frye allows opposite opinion testimony from experts relying upon the same generally accepted scientific principles and methodologies" Id. at 567 The court concluded " if there are weaknesses or technical deficiencies in the published epidemiological studies supporting the . . . experts' opinions . . ., those perceived deficiencies are appropriate matters upon which to examine and cross examine the experts at trial and, then, for consideration by the fact finder"

". . . the disagreement between the experts is best resolved by the trier of fact, the jury."

I always had faith that the judge would rule this way. The GC-MS is accepted and reliable and the rest is pure opinion. There is no better an expert to help the jury understand decomposition than Dr. Vass and he will be allowed to testifiy. The defense conceded their entire Frye argument when they stipulated that the GC-MS would not be argued as accepted and reliable and they didn't even know it. WTG, DT!!

There are no words! This is fabulous! :great:

Dr. Vass' new science being allowed in because of JA's brilliance and determination (& HHJP's & SA's too) is history in the making. (2nd time's a charm~GO JA!!)

Not only will Caylee get her long overdue justice, but I have a feeling Dr. Vass' gadget will squash many more 'misunderstandings' of whether or not there was a dead body in the damn car in the future. . .

I was so excited about jury selection today, but the air tests coming in is indescribable! Today is like Christmas for everyone standing firm behind Caylee Marie!! :christmastree:

What an inspiration this case has become. The Caylee Marie Case will be cited in future trials for introducing new science technologies to aid prosecutors. Thank you HHJP, for your willingness to allow new scientific methods to be introduced. Thank you HHJP for devoting so much time and brainpower towards making your decisions. Thank you Dr. Vass for your dedication toward producing reliable tests to confirm that yes, "there was a dead body in that damn car". Thank you Dr. Vass for your ability to explain your tests to us non-scientist, so we can say "yes, I see it, ah-hah, now I understand". All eyes will be on you in the courteoom as you share your enthusiasm for science and discoveries. Thank you JA for studying this new science so you could not only understand it but be knowledgeable enough to pursue it for inclusion as evidence. Thanks to all of you who have worked so tirelessly to provide justice for little Caylee Marie.

:deal: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :sunshine:

What an inspiration this case has become. The Caylee Marie Case will be cited in future trials for introducing new science technologies to aid prosecutors. Thank you HHJP, for your willingness to allow new scientific methods to be introduced. Thank you HHJP for devoting so much time and brainpower towards making your decisions. Thank you Dr. Vass for your dedication toward producing reliable tests to confirm that yes, "there was a dead body in that damn car". Thank you Dr. Vass for your ability to explain your tests to us non-scientist, so we can say "yes, I see it, ah-hah, now I understand". All eyes will be on you in the courteoom as you share your enthusiasm for science and discoveries. Thank you JA for studying this new science so you could not only understand it but be knowledgeable enough to pursue it for inclusion as evidence. Thanks to all of you who have worked so tirelessly to provide justice for little Caylee Marie.

:deal: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :sunshine:

Yes, it's Dr Vass that will give us the AHA moment, not JB.

I was so glad that Dr. Vass clarified on the stand that he was relying on the 30 compounds discussed in his published papers rather than on the 400-plus compounds in the secret database, because it makes HHJP's decision more "solid" for appeal. Also, it occurs to me that if we are going to have 4 or 5 people testifying that the trunk smelled like a dead body, the appellate court might very well say that even if it was error to allow the "air sample" testimony, it was "harmless error" because the jury would have heard plenty of testimony about the air smelling like a dead body in any event! :)

I was so glad that Dr. Vass clarified on the stand that he was relying on the 30 compounds discussed in his published papers rather than on the 400-plus compounds in the secret database, because it makes HHJP's decision more "solid" for appeal. Also, it occurs to me that if we are going to have 4 or 5 people testifying that the trunk smelled like a dead body, the appellate court might very well say that even if it was error to allow the "air sample" testimony, it was "harmless error" because the jury would have heard plenty of testimony about the air smelling like a dead body in any event! :)

HHJP, discussing those 400+ chemicals now and it gives him an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach...over an appeal

JA told the judge today that the database is not "secret". The only reason the DT doesn't have it is because they've never made an effort to obtain it from the FBI (ever since JS told them he has no jurisdiction over the FBI and it was JB's responsibility to obtain this info). No worries though, HHJP said "Somebody better get it because I don't want to do this again!" (paraphrased) The database will show up even if the prosecution has to get it for JB themselves.

Okay - let me get this straight in my mind again.

So Dr. Vass has an instrument that can measure some 400 and something elements or let's call them compounds for the sake of simplicity.

So Dr. Vass set his machine to measure 30 compounds only in the air samples from the trunk, but did NOT set it to measure the rest - have I got it so far?Because they didn't have anything to do with decomp but are for unrelated tests? Right?

And JB wants to know what the other 400 or so left on the list that Dr Vass did not use for this test. Still right?

And JB won't know what those are when he finds out what the rest of the list is - Right? LOL :great:

Will someone correct me if I am wrong on the first three paragraphs, please? Don't bother correctling me on #4 - cause I know for sure I got that one right....:innocent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd