PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

http://www.butlereagle.com/article/20110111/NEWS01/701119981

Tip brings hope of resolution
CNN looks at case in show Thursday
nothing.gif
By Kim Paskorz
Eagle Staff Writer

Cherrie Mahan's missing person file is nearly 26 years old and 3,600 pages thick.
But it's not dusty.
Investigators say, coincidentally, a promising tipster has come forward with information about the case at the same time CNN plans to revisit the case as part of its network television series on the nation's top 10 cold cases.
“An individual has come forward to the Pennsylvania State Police whose information has the potential to bring resolution to this case,” said Trooper Robert McGraw, stressing that he's “truly optimistic” about this new development.
Cherrie, an 8-year-old who disappeared from her Winfield Township school bus stop Feb. 22, 1985, has long garnered attention near and far.
Witnesses who recalled seeing Cherrie get off the bus, also claimed seeing a bluish-green van with a painting of a mountain and a skier behind her bus as well as a small blue compact car nearby.
Because it was a nice day, Cherrie's stepfather, LeRoy McKinney, would later tell investigators he let the third grader walk the short distance to her Cornplanter Road home.
When she didn't arrive home, he went to the bus stop 10 minutes later and saw tire prints, but no Cherrie.
Her disappearance changed the way many people thought about the safety of their children and neighborhoods.
Her case, including the picture of the now familiar smiling, brown-haired girl, also was the first ever to appear on one of the national “Have you seen me?” missing person, direct mail flyers.
CNN reporter Randi Kaye said she covered the story then, and recalled meeting Cherrie's mother.
“This case has always stuck with me,” Kaye said. “I've thought a lot about it over the years.”
Kaye's segment on Cherrie's case will run Thursday at 10 p.m. and again at 11 p.m.
She interviewed McGraw, the fourth person to take the investigation lead, by telephone Thursday.
McGraw, who was 13 years old when Cherrie went missing, said that to this day not a week goes by that someone doesn't offer investigators information they believe will be helpful in resolving the mystery once and for all.
“We follow every lead,” he said, acknowledging the case keeps him up at night.
“I can't imagine if that was my daughter,” he said. “I can't imagine the pain her mother and stepfather must feel.”
McGraw, who took over the investigation about seven months ago, said he volunteered for it because he specializes in crimes against children and firmly believes this case will be solved.

More at link, long article.

ETA: Sorry, just realized that you need subscription to view this story, but the important detail of when the CNN show is airing is included in the above section that I copied here. I tried to find the story elsewhere and couldn't find anything. Again, I apologize, but I will leave the link for those who may be here who can view it.

So hoping the new information pans out. Hopefilly the CNN program will trigger more memories, finally bring Cherrie home.

Yup, Anderson Cooper 360 will be talking about the Cherrie's case, Thursday, according to the above article. They've been running ads for their month long "AC 360's Most Notorious Cases" special and I saw Cherrie's picture. Amber Hagerman is also going to be on Thursday's program.

I was just on my local news website to see if my kids had a delay (we had a snow storm) and up popped the headlines about Cherrie.

Cherrie is the whole reason why I am so interested into finding missing people. We were the same age when she went missing and she lived about an hour North of me. I remember being scared because a man that lived a few blocks away from me had a blue van with a skier painted on it.

Here's the link that I found tonight.
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/01/12/person-comes-forward-in-25-year-old-missing-child-case/#comment-17984

I hope this lead is credible and the family finally gets answers and closure.

CNN may have a story on Cherrie tomorrow eve.
It was scheduled already...........KDKA.com

I was a year younger than Cherie when she went missing just 10 miles from where I grew up. I remember the panic and the blue van warnings, the fear that rocked this little area. I so hope this new lead answers questions for this poor family - it's been far, far too long.

Local newspaper article that ran yesterday: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/s_717793.html

Of note, which I found interesting: "McGraw said there still is a chance that Cherrie is alive."

Wouldn't that be amazing.

It seems logical to me as in a few other cases in the past that,
this tipster may have held a secret told to her/him from when a
[ the perp]
let it slip while drunk?
And like others who would hear something shocking, dissmiss it until the perp either has died or is on his/her death bed.
Now, the witness with the van story?
You mean to tell me that someone locally, with a van fitting that description was never investigated?:floorlaugh:
Really:great:why not?
How many vans fitting that description were in the area to begin with?
Shouldn't all of them have been investigated?
I mean, :waitasec:
that sure would be out and about wouldn't it?
People would have seen the van someplace at some point.
Who saw the van?
was that the perp who wanted to distract everyone?
Someone said" stupid to abduct a child with a distinctive van like that"
well, I say it was a false lead meant to divert attention from the real perp in this case.
If this new lead/tip/ is false and brings no closure,it would seem to me that bloodhounds should be brought out in and around the house & nearby woods again.
She may be closer to her neighborhood than anyone thought.
I say this because the Nation has been searching for her all over the place, when she may have beem nearby all this time.
Or this could be another case like the UTAH one?
I do not know, many things could be the situation for this.
Like everyone else here, I am crossing my fingers that this will close this cold,cold case....:websleuther:

I was a year younger than Cherie when she went missing just 10 miles from where I grew up. I remember the panic and the blue van warnings, the fear that rocked this little area. I so hope this new lead answers questions for this poor family - it's been far, far too long.

Local newspaper article that ran yesterday: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/s_717793.html

Of note, which I found interesting: "McGraw said there still is a chance that Cherrie is alive."

Wouldn't that be amazing.

I didn't even catch McGraw state that!! OMG what a miracle it would be!! PRAYING PRAYING she is!!

FINGERS CROSSED ++

On a side note, I hope this is not a nother dead end....or another lead that drops and we hear nothing about (Jacob Wetterling).

When I read online last night about them having a lead in the case, I gasped real loud.. My teenage daughter was sitting on the couch and thought something happened to me... Then I told her the name of the girl and about the case and she knew who exactly whom I was talking about. She tells people that I am crazy about finding missing people because of a girl that went missing when I was a kid...

I am hoping that this lead is real.........

Chaddylex, do you think the "new lead" is the information you called in last year??? Maybe the new investigator had researched it and found something that is of interest!

Chaddylex, do you think the "new lead" is the information you called in last year??? Maybe the new investigator had researched it and found something that is of interest!

It would be nice that I would be able to help in the investigation with my possible tip, but I really doubt it. No one has contacted me and I haven't heard another word since I submitted it months ago.

I do know the guy who had the skier van that lived by me died a few years back.

It seems logical to me as in a few other cases in the past that,
this tipster may have held a secret told to her/him from when a
[ the perp]
let it slip while drunk?
And like others who would hear something shocking, dissmiss it until the perp either has died or is on his/her death bed.
Now, the witness with the van story?
You mean to tell me that someone locally, with a van fitting that description was never investigated?:floorlaugh:
Really:great:why not?
How many vans fitting that description were in the area to begin with?
Shouldn't all of them have been investigated?
I mean, :waitasec:
that sure would be out and about wouldn't it?
People would have seen the van someplace at some point.
Who saw the van?
was that the perp who wanted to distract everyone?
Someone said" stupid to abduct a child with a distinctive van like that"
well, I say it was a false lead meant to divert attention from the real perp in this case.
If this new lead/tip/ is false and brings no closure,it would seem to me that bloodhounds should be brought out in and around the house & nearby woods again.
She may be closer to her neighborhood than anyone thought.
I say this because the Nation has been searching for her all over the place, when she may have beem nearby all this time.
Or this could be another case like the UTAH one?
I do not know, many things could be the situation for this.
Like everyone else here, I am crossing my fingers that this will close this cold,cold case....:websleuther:

It just never made sense that not one person with a van like that was ever focused on in the news or anything?
I am also from PITTSBURGh & listen to KDKA news usually
waiting for more news on this case.

I can't Walt to Hear where thé tip came from.

Mr. McGraw is the new detective in charge of the case. I remain hopeful this new tip leads to resolution in this case. Chaddylex, I am still thinking it could be the tip you called in.

"Mr. McGraw characterized the break in the case cautiously. "Basically, there's been an individual who's come forward and they have the potential to be crucial to this investigation in the future," he said.
He did not say how state police plan to proceed with the new information and declined to offer any specifics about it. He would not say who the person was, if the person indicated whether Cherrie was alive or dead or even when the person came forward. The case is sensitive, he said, and he's kept her family in the dark as well."

Mr. McGraw is the new detective in charge of the case. I remain hopeful this new tip leads to resolution in this case. Chaddylex, I am still thinking it could be the tip you called in.

"Mr. McGraw characterized the break in the case cautiously. "Basically, there's been an individual who's come forward and they have the potential to be crucial to this investigation in the future," he said.
He did not say how state police plan to proceed with the new information and declined to offer any specifics about it. He would not say who the person was, if the person indicated whether Cherrie was alive or dead or even when the person came forward. The case is sensitive, he said, and he's kept her family in the dark as well."

I just put on the news (channel 4, WTAE) and they were talking about Cherrie's case. They were talking to a psychic.. Wish I would have caught all of the what they were saying.. The psychic did say she believes she is in Butler County and has been dead for a long time. I am on my phone so I don't know how to link. I will look in the morning to see if I can get a link to the story.. I have been talking to everyone that knows how I am addicted to this site.

I just put on the news (channel 4, WTAE) and they were talking about Cherrie's case. They were talking to a psychic.. Wish I would have caught all of the what they were saying.. The psychic did say she believes she is in Butler County and has been dead for a long time. I am on my phone so I don't know how to link. I will look in the morning to see if I can get a link to the story.. I have been talking to everyone that knows how I am addicted to this site.

BBM it sure would be great if we have another miracle like JC (who was found after 18 in captivity). :)

However, I did bold this sentence above: "I remain hopeful this new tip leads to resolution in this case."

I surly hope it has been researched before making it such big news. After all, she still has a Mother and other family who do not really need their hearts torn up again, they always have it on thier minds. :(

I know I am a skeptic - not fair to the spirit of things, I just hope they have some decency not to use a sad story to sell papers. :(
GOD BLESS HER MOM right now. I do pray for a Miracle in this story.
I SURE HOPE that prior to making it a big story they looked into it seriously, and it has REAL MERIT.

....I SURE HOPE that prior to making it a big story they looked into it seriously, and it has REAL MERIT.

SBM. I had the exact same thoughts. We have a new detective on the case, but he has been on the case for several months now. I just don't see him creating this kind of publicity if he didn't have a REALLY good lead that he had ALREADY investigated! Surely not!!! :waitasec: At the same time, I don't see why anyone would have ignored what Chaddylax had to say last year. That is important information and should be pursued. Who knows - maybe someone else has been reading about the case here at WS's and has decided to finally come forth with what they suspected a long time ago. Miracles sometimes DO happen (Jacie Dugard and Shawn Hornbeck come to mind right away).

Here's the link from the Channel4 (WTAE) 11pm news last night. (I was too lazy to get on the computer to link, I was on my Iphone.. here ya go..

http://www.wtae.com/news/26476221/detail.html

Here's a snip of the article

State police told Channel 4 Action News reporter Ari Hait that they are working with two local psychic sisters, Suzanne and Jean Vincent, who are going to help them find Cherrie.

“She’s just like our little daughter. It’s a case we just didn’t want to let go of,” said Suzanne. “We have to bring her home for the community.”

The Vincent’s have been working on the case for 15 years and said they have had visions of locations where she might be located or who might be responsible for her disappearance.

“We believe she’s in Butler County and that she’s not in West Virginia or down in Texas,” said Suzanne.

The sisters also believe Cherrie was killed long ago, but that with their help, police will eventually track down her killer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back