LA LA - St James Parish, WhtMale 19-28, UP851, in river, yellow hard hat, Levi jeans, sneakers, May'87

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 500UMLA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/500umla.html
NamUs UP Case 851 https://identifyus.org/cases/851

500UMLA1.jpg
500UMLA2.jpg
500UMLA3.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim by Gigi A. Waite

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered in May 7, 1987 in the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, Louisiana.
Estimated Date of Death: 2-5 weeks prior.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 19-28 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"- 5'8"
Clothing: A yellow hard-hat, A pair of size 9 or 9-1/2 sneakers (white with blue stripes), one white athletic sock, a pair of Levi's brand blue jeans, and Fruit of the Loom brand, size 30-32, underwear.
Dentals: Tooth #1 not seen, may be antemortem loss or congenital absence. Amalgam fillings noted on #3,14,19 and 20. Unfilled caries noted on #14 and #15. Postmortem breakage noted on #6 and #7.
DNA: Available in FBI NMPDD.

Case History
The victim was found washed up along in the Mississippi River in Louisiana in May 7, 1987.

The remains were transported to LSU after an autopsy on May 9, 1987.

How about this one?

Another recently added photo to a previously no-photo NamUs casefile.
Jimmy Dale Whitfield
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9296/28

2784306060045078242S200x200Q851.jpg
500UMLA2.jpg

* There is a very strong similarity in facial structure.
* His DLC is two months prior to discovery. The UID's postmortem interval was estimated to be about 2-5 weeks.
* His height (5'7") is spot-on to the NamUs estimate.
* His age (29) is just above the upper limit (19-28)
* He has distinctively crooked upper incisors. But the UID was missing 8&9 postmortem.
* I'm not sure what he was doing wearing a hard-hat in the Mississippi River (i.e., about 630 miles from his LKA).

ETA: I just kicked off an e-mail to Helen Bouzon.

ETA: I just kicked off an e-mail to Helen Bouzon.

Helen Replied:

There are no dental records available for Jimmy. The teeth that appear crooked in the picture are not present in the skeleton and thus cannot be compared visually. No DNA has been submitted for Jimmy either. Without any of those, we cannot complete a comparison.

I forwarded the e-mail thread to Todd Matthews to see if perhaps he can nudge the authorities in SC to obtain some identifiers on Jimmy Whitfield.

Todd says a DNA inquiry is currently underway, and he will make sure a manual comparison is performed when the FRS kits are processed.

Link to UID's LSU entry for completeness:
Louisiana Repository for Missing & Unidentified People: Case #04-23
http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=385

Ernie Earls (probably Earnie Earls) disappeared from Clay County, Arkansas on or around April 3, 1987:

Ernie / Earnie Earls - NamUs MP # 11230
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11230/

[His name is spelled "Earnie" in a relative's obituary, and there are records of an Earnest Lonnie Earls in Knobel, Arkansas. On the other hand, in the Social Security Death Index there's an Ernest L. Earls of Arkansas, born 17 July 1963 — not the 1965 or 1966 of the NamUs entry — death recorded as 15 June 1987. Take your pick.]

Mr. Earls' height is short by 3 to 5 inches, but given that he wasn't reported missing until 6 years after his disappearance and that his recorded age may not be correct, the height/weight estimate could be from his mother's memory, from a driver's license he got as a teenager, from anywhere.

Clay County itself is about an hour's drive from the Mississippi River (http://goo.gl/maps/K3cn). On message boards, I found a few sparsely-stated claims that people in the county who know his rumored killer believe that Mr. Earls' body was dumped or hidden, possibly in/at a river. Take that with a huge grain of salt, because it's decades-old small-town innuendo.

The age and hair color are compatible. If the date of Earnie Earls' disappearance is accurate, the postmortem interval for the UID is good: one month vs. 2-5 weeks. I find other cases of bodies having been carried downstream from Memphis well into Louisiana in the same amount of time, so the distance is plausible too.

It's not entirely impossible that he could have reappeared downstream as the John Doe on the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, Louisiana. But his NamUs profile is thin, and identification would probably require that law enforcement be interested in collecting DNA from his relatives.

Link to UID's LSU entry for completeness:
Louisiana Repository for Missing & Unidentified People: Case #04-23
http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=385

Ernie Earls (probably Earnie Earls) disappeared from Clay County, Arkansas on or around April 3, 1987:

Ernie / Earnie Earls - NamUs MP # 11230
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11230/

[His name is spelled "Earnie" in a relative's obituary, and there are records of an Earnest Lonnie Earls in Knobel, Arkansas. On the other hand, in the Social Security Death Index there's an Ernest L. Earls of Arkansas, born 17 July 1963 — not the 1965 or 1966 of the NamUs entry — death recorded as 15 June 1987. Take your pick.]

Mr. Earls' height is short by 3 to 5 inches, but given that he wasn't reported missing until 6 years after his disappearance and that his recorded age may not be correct, the height/weight estimate could be from his mother's memory, from a driver's license he got as a teenager, from anywhere.

Clay County itself is about an hour's drive from the Mississippi River (http://goo.gl/maps/K3cn). On message boards, I found a few sparsely-stated claims that people in the county who know his rumored killer believe that Mr. Earls' body was dumped or hidden, possibly in/at a river. Take that with a huge grain of salt, because it's decades-old small-town innuendo.

The age and hair color are compatible. If the date of Earnie Earls' disappearance is accurate, the postmortem interval for the UID is good: one month vs. 2-5 weeks. I find other cases of bodies having been carried downstream from Memphis well into Louisiana in the same amount of time, so the distance is plausible too.

It's not entirely impossible that he could have reappeared downstream as the John Doe on the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, Louisiana. But his NamUs profile is thin, and identification would probably require that law enforcement be interested in collecting DNA from his relatives.

Has this ever been submitted?

DNA is available for Ernie Earls. The regional administrator is Michael Nance for both UID and Ernie Earls. It is worth sending an email to check for a match.

If not I can do it.

Has this ever been submitted?

DNA is available for Ernie Earls. The regional administrator is Michael Nance for both UID and Ernie Earls. It is worth sending an email to check for a match.

If not I can do it.

I submitted the match of this UID and Ernie Earls to the Doe Network.

Any change of trying to match skull with photographic inposition of Missing persons?

This will add nothing in terms of specifics, but I was working in Burnside, La. in 1986...and a worker at the terminal to the left of our plant had a person fall through the catwalk over the Mississippi River...piece of missing grating...

Have to think about how I'd research this...

So he was wearing 2 shoes but only 1 sock? Don't know that it means anything but it just seems odd...

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
Ernie Earls 1965 Arkansas
Jimmy Whitfield 1957 South Carolina

Newer image-
851.jpg

This will add nothing in terms of specifics, but I was working in Burnside, La. in 1986...and a worker at the terminal to the left of our plant had a person fall through the catwalk over the Mississippi River...piece of missing grating...

Have to think about how I'd research this...

An accident like this would explain why he's wearing a hard hat.

No new ruleouts. https://identifyus.org/cases/851

He has DNA and dentals.

Related to the industrial accident possibility: somebody who fell into the river and wasn't found is likely "missing and presumed drowned," which often doesn't generate a missing persons report. He might have been working construction near the river, or on a boat, or on a bridge or other structure over the water, and could have drifted from quite far upstream. Hm.

Unidentified White Male
500UMLA4.jpg
500UMLA.jpg
500UMLA1.jpg
500UMLA2.jpg
500UMLA3.jpg

Reconstructions of the decedent by LSU FACES and Gigi A. Waite.

Date of Discovery: May 7, 1987
Location of Discovery: St. James Parish, Louisiana
Estimated Date of Death: 2-5 weeks prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Inventory of Remains: One or more limbs not recovered, One or both hands not recovered
Cause of Death: Unknown

Estimated Age: 19-28 years old
Measured Height: 5'7” (67 inches)
Weight: Cannot estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Clothing: A yellow hard-hat, A pair of size 9 or 9-1/2 sneakers (white with blue stripes), one white athletic sock, a pair of Levi brand blue jeans and Fruit of the Loom brand, size 30-32, underwear.

Circumstances of Discovery: The decedent was found washed up along in the Mississippi River in Louisiana in May 7, 1987. The remains were transported to LSU after an autopsy on May 9, 1987.

Dentals: Available. Tooth #1 not seen, may be antemortem loss or congenital absence. Amalgam fillings noted on #3,14,19 and 20. Unfilled caries noted on #14 and #15. Postmortem breakage noted on #6 and #7.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

3 Missing Person Exclusions

Ernie Earls
Jimmy Whitfield
Steve Arrowood

A hard hat and tennis shoes... hmmm o_O:confused:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online