The message on the door

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfie

Reaction score
An cryptic message was painted on the door of the maid's quarters *advertiser censored* guest room for which we have two versions:

Per ME:

She saved him can you save her?

Per Rebecca's sister:

She saved him can he save her?

Since the official photo of the door has not been released, we are left to ponder.

It is reported that Rebecca was an artist (family), yet the manner in which she used the materials (two brushes and a tube of Amsterdam acrylic black paint) to accomplish the message seems strange from an artist's point of view.

It appears from the materials left at the scene that paint was squeezed directly from the tube to the brush, or dabbed with the brush from the tube.

I discussed this with my mother who has been doing calligraphy for 30 years. She used to make banners for all sorts of occasions using acrylic tube paint and has never used the paint in that manner. She doesn't remember anyone in her group that has used this method, either. Over the years this entails at least 20 people as the group has grown and changed.

From two art instruction sites that I could find online for free,
both include a palette or other (saucer) for an initial deposit of the paint.

http://www.art-is-fun.com/artists-supplies.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint

More than likely the description of block letters has to do with with a printing style (as opposed to cursive) that is, by default, wider because of the width of the brush. The style of printing will still carry the characteristics of the writer. Only stencils would deliver such a uniform look as to be devoid of the writer's innate style.

I can always identify my mom's style whether block, cursive or special font.

This is why it would have been important to publish the photo of the message on the door in order to see if anyone could recognize the style. Also it should have been examined thoroughly by a handwriting expert.

thank you elfie-good thread idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
Yes. Here you go:

From here:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/am...ckw=00643-2020

Click on the link and you'll see that the image matches the type of paint Rebecca allegedly used.

~~~~
Thanks. When I was studying art in college there was a Dick Blick warehouse nearby going out of business and made several trips. Years ago, of course.

Still having difficulty finding the manufacturer site, though.
But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Here you will dwell bound to your grief under the fading trees until all the world is changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent. --Elrond, LOTR

An cryptic message was painted on the door of the maid's quarters *advertiser censored* guest room for which we have two versions:

Per ME:

She saved him can you save her?

Per Rebecca's sister:

She saved him can he save her?

Since the official photo of the door has not been released, we are left to ponder.

It is reported that Rebecca was an artist (family), yet the manner in which she used the materials (two brushes and a tube of Amsterdam acrylic black paint) to accomplish the message seems strange from an artist's point of view.

It appears from the materials left at the scene that paint was squeezed directly from the tube to the brush, or dabbed with the brush from the tube.

I discussed this with my mother who has been doing calligraphy for 30 years. She used to make banners for all sorts of occasions using acrylic tube paint and has never used the paint in that manner. She doesn't remember anyone in her group that has used this method, either. Over the years this entails at least 20 people as the group has grown and changed.

From two art instruction sites that I could find online for free,
both include a palette or other (saucer) for an initial deposit of the paint.

http://www.art-is-fun.com/artists-supplies.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint

More than likely the description of block letters has to do with with a printing style (as opposed to cursive) that is, by default, wider because of the width of the brush. The style of printing will still carry the characteristics of the writer. Only stencils would deliver such a uniform look as to be devoid of the writer's innate style.

I can always identify my mom's style whether block, cursive or special font.

This is why it would have been important to publish the photo of the message on the door in order to see if anyone could recognize the style. Also it should have been examined thoroughly by a handwriting expert.

Acrylic paint isn't used to do calligraphy. It's used for postering (letters that are poster-ready) and painting. Only when using acrylic as a means to imitate oil and watercolor, would it be watered down (for shading purposes).

So for painting block letters, it could easily be squeezed from the tube onto the brush. In fact, that's the only way I've ever done lettering with acrylic paint, and that is the way I've taught the use of acrylic paint in university classes.

All that said, just because it is very possible that Rebecca could have painted those letters with that paint and those tools, doesn't mean that she did it, or that she did it without coercion.

As far as how recognizable one's block letters are, if you're a very good artist, your lettering will not be recognizable, in the sense that it will look as though it were printed out or done through stenciling. Again, this is only if someone were a bona fide, professional artist of high quality. I don't think Rebecca fell into that category, but perhaps she was.

I wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her handwriting and then at her block letters, to tell if she wrote the words on the back of a door, but I would think they'd have a handwriting expert analyze it. If they didn't, it still isn't too late for the family to hire someone to do so.

They didn't have a handwriting expert to analyze it. The family (through the lawyer) complained about that.

Acrylic paint isn't used to do calligraphy. It's used for postering (letters that are poster-ready) and painting. Only when using acrylic as a means to imitate oil and watercolor, would it be watered down (for shading purposes).

So for painting block letters, it could easily be squeezed from the tube onto the brush. In fact, that's the only way I've ever done lettering with acrylic paint, and that is the way I've taught the use of acrylic paint in university classes.

All that said, just because it is very possible that Rebecca could have painted those letters with that paint and those tools, doesn't mean that she did it, or that she did it without coercion.

As far as how recognizable one's block letters are, if you're a very good artist, your lettering will not be recognizable, in the sense that it will look as though it were printed out or done through stenciling. Again, this is only if someone were a bona fide, professional artist of high quality. I don't think Rebecca fell into that category, but perhaps she was.

I wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her handwriting and then at her block letters, to tell if she wrote the words on the back of a door, but I would think they'd have a handwriting expert analyze it. If they didn't, it still isn't too late for the family to hire someone to do so.

Good points. I googled tube to brush method and came up with numerous results. Several techniques are cited, but the main one from About.com suggests the artist be ambidextrous!

I also think if an analyst could still have access to the door with the original message intact, an accurate analysis would be possible.

They didn't have a handwriting expert to analyze it. The family (through the lawyer) complained about that.

Exactly, jjenny! I think it would be difficult to come to an accurate conclusion without seeing message on the door itself.

I read somewhere that Rebecca's fingerprint (encased in the same black acrylic paint she allegedly used) was found by the letters on the door. Did anyone else hear that?

Looking at LE pic it appears there is no easy paint from tube tip on paint tube.

I paint and frankly think it's a huge pain in the rear to paint from a tube. For a dab here and there maybe. I would probably make a mess esp if painting higher than my arm comfort level without a ladder or stool. I wish we could see how neat or messy message was written.

Yes her right hand print was found on the door by the message. This prompted some suggestion that she would have had to use her left hand to paint. I can also see a situation where she would place her right hand before or after painting the message with her right hand.

Just curious about what others think the message actually means???

Well I'm sure if they had it analyzed they would have been able to determine by the strokes if the person was left or right handed.

Well I'm sure if they had it analyzed they would have been able to determine by the strokes if the person was left or right handed.

As far as I can tell they have done nothing to analyze the message.

Just curious about what others think the message actually means???

I think it could mean that Rebecca was angry and hurt at the time of her death. I imagine the scenario this way, and again, these are just my thoughts and nothing more:

I think that JS MIGHT have told RZ that Max wasn't going to make it, and asked her to move out of the mansion before he got back to it. I think RZ MIGHT have been angry because she credited herself with "saving" MS, even though he was going to die eventually. So she possibly could have planned her message (angry black block letters) as a dig at JS - She (RZ) saved him (MS), can you (JS ) save her?

I also believe she hanged herself in the nude because I read an article that Ocean linked here on thread 1, 2, or 3 that stated that nude suicides are usally committed by people who are angry and want to get back at someone.

I also think that was why she possibly could have killed herself outside, where AS or someone coming to the guest house (perhaps JS to see his brother?) could find her.

My humble two cents.

RZ’s sister said she was a Christian.

Maybe it is the religious term “saved”

Having computer problems but grabbed a couple of links:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE SAVED?

When we talk about following Jesus, we often talk about “being saved.” Just
what does that mean, and if it is important, how do we become saved? All
humans sin, for it is our nature to sin. We have to be responsible for our
sin, and take the consequences for our sin. The ultimate consequence for sin
is to receive the punishment that we deserve, which is to be punished
eternally with Satan in Hell. Therefore, to be saved means that we are saved
from the punishment that we deserve. If we are “saved,” that means the same
thing as if we say we have “received salvation.”

http://www.bebaptized.org/whatdoesitmean.htm

And:

Punishment – Being saved means I no longer face eternal punishment but am saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 5:9).

Protection – Being saved means that in Christ we have protection from the attacks of the enemy Satan. God has provided spiritual armor for the battle (Ephesians 6:10-18).

http://www.rapturenotes.com/whatisbeingsaved.html

Sorry the link and wrap buttons aren’t working for me and also had to post quick because I keep getting logged completely out and off the net!

imo

I have a hard time believing that an alleged suicidal Rebecca authored it since the message was written in the third person. It is too similar to messages left at crime scenes rather than suicides.

She could have said the same thing: I saved Maxie can God save me? or I saved Maxie, can Jonah save me?

IMO, if it were written by woman driven to kill herself, she would have been penned a message on paper in her own handwriting.

My personal, hinky meter goes crazy when instead, the message is written in the third person, with paint and a brush (squeezed from the tube to the brush, no less) onto a door.

With a convenient print right there no less. Also, why so much paint on her hands, breasts, back, but none on the rope, not much on the carpet and no drips running down the door?

RZ’s sister said she was a Christian.

Maybe it is the religious term “saved”

Having computer problems but grabbed a couple of links:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE SAVED?

When we talk about following Jesus, we often talk about “being saved.” Just
what does that mean, and if it is important, how do we become saved? All
humans sin, for it is our nature to sin. We have to be responsible for our
sin, and take the consequences for our sin. The ultimate consequence for sin
is to receive the punishment that we deserve, which is to be punished
eternally with Satan in Hell. Therefore, to be saved means that we are saved
from the punishment that we deserve. If we are “saved,” that means the same
thing as if we say we have “received salvation.”

http://www.bebaptized.org/whatdoesitmean.htm

And:

Punishment – Being saved means I no longer face eternal punishment but am saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 5:9).

Protection – Being saved means that in Christ we have protection from the attacks of the enemy Satan. God has provided spiritual armor for the battle (Ephesians 6:10-18).

http://www.rapturenotes.com/whatisbeingsaved.html

Sorry the link and wrap buttons aren’t working for me and also had to post quick because I keep getting logged completely out and off the net!

imo

I don't buy the hyper-religious stuff they're claiming. Why would she think suicide would send her to hell but adultery, fornication, and shoplifting wouldn't ? Plus maybe she thought God would give her a pass on suicide because He'd understand the pain she's in, or see her death as an atonement for Max's death (if she felt guilt about it). Just speculating.

I posted a link to an article about naked suicides earlier today. it said that sometimes people who kill themselves in the nude see themselves as sacrificial lambs, or are trying to imitate Christ who hung naked on the cross. I thought that was a very interesting assessment.

Hi, folks. Long time lurker. This case has moved me to comment.

I believe that the message on the door means that Rebecca saved Jonah, now can Jonah save Rebecca?

I can imagine some sort love talk going on between Jonah and Rebecca when things were better. Perhaps Jonah could have shared with Rebecca that he was in some sort of extreme state of loneliness or despair due the state of his relationships with women (two divorces? at least one acrimonious). Something like, "Rebecca, before I met you my life was bleak, but you brought the beauty back into my life. You saved me from despair." This would also have been helpful to Jonah if at some point he needed to convince Rebecca that his intentions were sincere.

Before her death, Rebecca could have been in a similar state of despair, with Jonah nowhere to be found, unable to save her from the fate she has in mind.

I know this points toward the suicide theory, which, to be honest, I don't buy. However, to be fair, this is what came to me. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni