Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #9 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered about that myself. Why was it well into the evening before Marlene found out that Sierra was not in school that day? Maybe she found out earlier but thought Sierra might have skipped school and was waiting for her to get home to deal with it? But, there is no evidence that Sierra was a skipper and if she wasn't there would be no reason for Marlene to just assume that she had skipped. If Sierra didn't skip and no one had reason to believe she had, did Sierra typically come home late from school some days? That seems more reasonable in that maybe she wasn't missed at home until that time.

I think most parents have said more than once "but s/he never did THAT before!" about their own special little snowflakes during the teen years.

To me, it seems more reasonable to assume your 15 year old has decided to experiment with the joys of cutting school than it is to assume your kid has been abducted. The first instances happens with thousands of 15 year olds every school day; the second instance, only a handful each year.

As I recall, Marlene texted Sierra before she left work and got no answer. She was worried when she got home and Sierra wasn't there, so she called around to Sierra's friends. Then she got the school's automated notification that Sierra hadn't attended school and that's when she called the police.

If LE believes it was someone Sierra knows--maybe not well but knows by sight--it is very likely it is someone the neighbors also would know at least on sight. I think this was someone who was not out of place in that neighborhood. Perhaps a neighbor or a frequent visitor of a neighbor, or a frequent visitor to Sierra's home or very near her home.

I do not for a minute think LE has told everything they have. In every investigation there are things not made known to the public, and often not even the parents are told everything as a precaution against something being inadvertantly revealed.

Does anyone know where the Groene home was located in regard to neighbors, and in regard to places Duncan could have slid in and out of unnoticed by anyone while he watched? Ewww, gives me the creeps to even think about him and his MO leading up to such a heinous crime.

I think most parents have said more than once "but s/he never did THAT before!" about their own special little snowflakes during the teen years.

To me, it seems more reasonable to assume your 15 year old has decided to experiment with the joys of cutting school than it is to assume your kid has been abducted. The first instances happens with thousands of 15 year olds every school day; the second instance, only a handful each year.

As I recall, Marlene texted Sierra before she left work and got no answer. She was worried when she got home and Sierra wasn't there, so she called around to Sierra's friends. Then she got the school's automated notification that Sierra hadn't attended school and that's when she called the police.

The first thing I thought was - what about calling, texting any of her friends? She always keeps her phone charged. Call her. I know its a lot to ask in this day and age with distractions, but my Mom would have been all over it!

And at the same time, you want to have some faith in your kids....its friday, after school. Why would you assume anything was odd or different.

Without further facts, this is an indistinguishable detail at this point. IMO

I think so too. I do not think Marlene was alarmed immediately, for the same reason most parents would not be alarmed immediately. Kids are late getting home sometimes but eventually make it home just fine. And even if Sierra was not a skipper, for every kid that has skipped school, there was always a first time.

If LE believes it was someone Sierra knows--maybe not well but knows by sight--it is very likely it is someone the neighbors also would know at least on sight. I think this was someone who was not out of place in that neighborhood. Perhaps a neighbor or a frequent visitor of a neighbor, or a frequent visitor to Sierra's home or very near her home.

I do not for a minute think LE has told everything they have. In every investigation there are things not made known to the public, and often not even the parents are told everything as a precaution against something being inadvertantly revealed.

Does anyone know where the Groene home was located in regard to neighbors, and in regard to places Duncan could have slid in and out of unnoticed by anyone while he watched? Ewww, gives me the creeps to even think about him and his MO leading up to such a heinous crime.

The Groenes had neighbours on both sides of them and their house was facing the interstate. In fact, that's where Duncan first noticed them--he saw their kids playing in the front yard from the interstate.

With Duncan using night vision goggles, it greatly cut down his risk of being observed while he stalked the Groenes. The whole point of prowling after dark is that it makes it very difficult for people to see you.

There is apparently a footpath next to Sierra's house that farm workers use. A stalker type predator could have used that to unobtrusively scope out the house and figure out a good time to strike.

Hello, long time lurker, first time posting.

Just a few observations:

Sierra gave her phone number to one of her friends in a twitter post several months back. If someone was stalking her, they can do a reverse phone search and likely be able to find her address.

Also, she tweeted something to the effect of, " Its cold out here, I wish the bus would hurry up", fairly recently. That information would have given a potential stalker the information about what time she generally waited for the bus without having to drive by the area in advance.

I am not convinced it was a stalker necessarily but just throwing that out there.

My last comment is about the man who sierra had "convos" with, and posted screen shots of the conversations.
I was creeped out by the exchanges, especially when he said, "Guess who like you Sierra"?
I tried to find a twitter account with that name, but had no luck. I am certain the name is East Indian, as he appears to be.
I could not find anyone with a matching name, anywhere.
My thoughts on the exchange are based on having been a teenage girl at one point in time.
A. She was either mocking him, or was friendly enough with him that she felt she could play around with him.
B. The fact that she took screen shots of the convos and posted them in her images is something else to consider.
C. He is not listed in her followers, nor is she following him. How they know each other is not apparent.
D. When he says, " How's high school, it comes across as a question from an older person, or someone overseas. (just how it seems to me, no logic behind this really)
E. She gave the description, "Convos with S********h" in her title of the pic, which suggests someone else may know who he is or how she knows him.
None of these things indicate any necessary connection, but are good to consider.

Hello, long time lurker, first time posting.

Just a few observations:

Sierra gave her phone number to one of her friends in a twitter post several months back. If someone was stalking her, they can do a reverse phone search and likely be able to find her address.

Also, she tweeted something to the effect of, " Its cold out here, I wish the bus would hurry up", fairly recently. That information would have given a potential stalker the information about what time she generally waited for the bus without having to drive by the area in advance.

I am not convinced it was a stalker necessarily but just throwing that out there.

My last comment is about the man who sierra had "convos" with, and posted screen shots of the conversations.
I was creeped out by the exchanges, especially when he said, "Guess who like you Sierra"?
I tried to find a twitter account with that name, but had no luck. I am certain the name is East Indian, as he appears to be.
I could not find anyone with a matching name, anywhere.
My thoughts on the exchange are based on having been a teenage girl at one point in time.
A. She was either mocking him, or was friendly enough with him that she felt she could play around with him.
B. The fact that she took screen shots of the convos and posted them in her images is something else to consider.
C. He is not listed in her followers, nor is she following him. How they know each other is not apparent.
D. When he says, " How's high school, it comes across as a question from an older person, or someone overseas. (just how it seems to me, no logic behind this really)
E. She gave the description, "Convos with Sushanth" in her title of the pic, which suggests someone else may know who he is or how she knows him.
None of these things indicate any necessary connection, but are good to consider.

Great Post!!! I would be hard pressed to figure they haven't talked to this guy already. Although the conversation might be playful, you never know who's playing and who's not. IMO its either been ruled out or its got enough weight to be considered already. LE shouldn't feel a need to divulge it wither way.

From what I can remember they did have a neighbor very close by and that man let the kids do yardwork for him at times. He had a shed or a garage that sat off from his home, iirc and that is where Duncan left his jeep behind there and walked to the Greone property. So he may have done this too when he was watching with the night vision googles. It is the most terrifying case I have ever kept up with.

IMO

The Groenes had neighbours on both sides of them and their house was facing the interstate. In fact, that's where Duncan first noticed them--he saw their kids playing in the front yard from the interstate.

With Duncan using night vision goggles, it greatly cut down his risk of being observed while he stalked the Groenes. The whole point of prowling after dark is that it makes it very difficult for people to see you.

There is apparently a footpath next to Sierra's house that farm workers use. A stalker type predator could have used that to unobtrusively scope out the house and figure out a good time to strike.

That is so true but they usually spot their victim or victims when it is light outside just like they did poor Shasta and Dylan who was running back and forth playing under the water sprinkler with their swimsuits on. :(

IMO

I have wondered how far in advance the field workers are informed that they will not be working a particulr field. IOW, it sounds as if they had been working near Sierra's home but then on that Friday they worked elsewhere. Could be that the abductor just got lucky or could be that the abductor knew that there would be fewer potential witnesses in the area that day.

Would workers be out in the fields that early in the morning, typically? If so, then maybe the fact that the area was not scheduled to be worked that day means nothing.

ETA: I am not sure if it has been determined that the workers worked elsewhere or if they had that Friday off. A person having the day off would not have to worry about being missed if no one saw him that day. And if it was a day off they would likely have known at least a few hours in advance, IMO.

IMHO all you had to do was observe/stalk SL for a day or two to figure out when she was alone. If you were the perp would you risk entering a home, being on a busy street where the bus stop was and people were traveling to and from work, going to the school...I think not. You want to be fast and as anonymous as possible to not get caught. If this was a stranger abduction, I would think that going or coming home would be the best option to grab her. That being said, when she leaves and you observed her parents leave, you know the house is empty. But if you grab her going home, you are not certain as to who could be in the house at that time, they could arrive home anytime. That is why I think he chose the morning to take Ms. SL..IMHO

As far as the field workers being a witness, if you are abducting her from her driveway, they would not be a witness anyway. They are up the road in the fields. The only real risk you have is the neighbors.

imho all you had to do was observe/stalk sl for a day or two to figure out when she was alone. If you were the perp would you risk entering a home, being on a busy street where the bus stop was and people were traveling to and from work, going to the school...i think not. You want to be fast and as anonymous as possible to not get caught. If this was a stranger abduction, i would think that going or coming home would be the best option to grab her. That being said, when she leaves and you observed her parents leave, you know the house is empty. But if you grab her going home, you are not certain as to who could be in the house at that time, they could arrive home anytime. That is why i think he chose the morning to take ms. Sl..imho

ita! :(

As far as the field workers being a witness, if you are abducting her from her driveway, they would not be a witness anyway. They are up the road in the fields. The only real risk you have is the neighbors.

I'm not sure how much the neighbors would be likely to see either, the houses are set off the road, trees and other shrubbery in front of most of them near the road, her house is in the back corner, there is a lot that says the neighbors weren't likely to see much unless they happened to be out standing in the road at 7 am. MOO.

IMHO all you had to do was observe/stalk SL for a day or two to figure out when she was alone. If you were the perp would you risk entering a home, being on a busy street where the bus stop was and people were traveling to and from work, going to the school...I think not. You want to be fast and as anonymous as possible to not get caught. If this was a stranger abduction, I would think that going or coming home would be the best option to grab her. That being said, when she leaves and you observed her parents leave, you know the house is empty. But if you grab her going home, you are not certain as to who could be in the house at that time, they could arrive home anytime. That is why I think he chose the morning to take Ms. SL..IMHO

Also parents and students that attend the same school would know that a call would not be made to notify anyone that SL had not been in school that day until very late in the afternoon. Thus giving the perp lots of time that no one knew she was missing. I do not think it was a total stranger abduction. jmo

Also... If SL had acute asthma I believe the mother would have mentioned more then her emergency inhaler, leading me to believe she had mild asthma. My son has had acute asthma since birth. He is on five different meds to control it. He also has a nebulizer machine in the house, and when in school we kept one at the nurse there. Now that he is working, he keeps one in his truck at work.... If the only med your on is strictly the emergency inhaler, then I believe it was mild....That is just my opinion.

Also... If SL had acute asthma I believe the mother would have mentioned more then her emergency inhaler, leading me to believe she had mild asthma. My son has had acute asthma since birth. He is on five different meds to control it. He also has a nebulizer machine in the house, and when in school we kept one at the nurse there. Now that he is working, he keeps one in his truck at work.... If the only med your on is strictly the emergency inhaler, then I believe it was mild....That is just my opinion.

I agree Sierra's asthma could have been such that she didn't need an inhaler everywhere she went. It could be something that flares up with certain seasonal allergies and thus not a problem to manage from day to day. I think the reason Marlene and Steve mentioned Sierra having left her inhaler behind was not necessarily because they thought she could not get through the day without it, but because they felt if she had run away or had planned an overnight, she would have taken it with her. JMO.

Is it known if Marlene called Sierra when she got home ? Also, I read that Marlene sent a couple of texts to Sierra,and got no reply. Because Rick worked in MH, I assumed that he got home before Marlene ? So I wonder i she had called him when she got no response to her texts to Sierra ? To check and see if Sierra was home ? Maybe means nothing, because maybe he usually gets home later than Marlene anyway...

I'm curious because I remember reading that Sierra's phone was turned off when it was located. I doubt she turned her own phone off. And so, possibly there are some latent prints on the phone.Including prints of whoever did turn that phone off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie