Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree Scandi! :)

I also wonder if the ME stated they would have to use rib bones for DNA? I Googled rib cage to see what it includes and it does mention the sternum as part of it. The problem is there are cartiledges that connect the ends of the rib cage to the sternum, and after 18 months I can imagine all cartiledge tissue was gone. Maybe we'll learn more about this.

You would think with about 30 lbs of bones they would be able to get DNA. xox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib_cage

What matters is that this much was found. Pretty miraculous in itself.

Oh, You are so right Chico. 30 #'s of bones and some clothing. That is a miracle in itself after 18 months. xoxox

See you on the morrow dear Chico.

QUOTE ->
Posted by: Spyglass
On: 05-21-2009 07:39 PM

Last night a poster went to Lisa and Stacey's websites to find height/weight. She said Lisa was 5'2", 120 pounds; Stacey was 5'2", 100 pounds.<-Quote

--->>>A difference of 20 pounds more than 100 would up the jeans to a different size. Another poster stated a theory about PERHAPS the waistband was still entangled with the remains. MAYBE LE was checking the two womens families for sizes and brands of jeans for the missing women.

I am judging from the size of the light colored plastic covering, the two rescuers held from each end that held the found remains. It looked to me like there was considerable mass of substance within that rolled up covering. From what I saw it looked like there would be considerable remains to work with.

There may possibly have been a substantial amount of mud with the remains IN the baglike covering.

IF it is Stacy, DP is done for.

Betcha some of the teen friends of the Peterson children will be talking about it - I am thinking the teen aged boys will get wind of it somehow.
I have been wrong before. So sorry for them.

DP's non concern as mentioned previously for him personally and for HIS children might as well be a LARGE arrow
pointing at him saying ->DP did it.

My BIL is a Joliet PO and I asked my sister what he said about all of this and his reponse was, if it wasn't Stacy P, they most certainly have told the media by now. Ruling someone out is the easy part. He was in Homicide/Forensics for years. I suppose that it's true when they found all the "other women's bodies" they quickly ruled them out - within a day if not sooner. Look at the Lacy case - same concept, very little remains, yet we all knew when she washed ashore.

Stacy's family saw to it that DNA samples were given to LE.

KATHY CHANEY, "CHICAGO DEFENDER": Well, an autopsy is under way on the badly decomposed, mainly skeletal remains that were found yesterday around 2:30 along the Des Plaines River in Channahon. And now we`re just waiting to find out an identification. I know DNA samples were collected. Stacy`s family provided those samples, and now we`re just waiting. Results may be back within a week.
GRACE: When you say Stacy`s family provided DNA samples, what family?

CHANEY: Stacy Peterson`s family -- from my understanding, her relatives, the ones that have been actively searching for her. They have provided some DNA samples to Illinois State Police.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0905/21/ng.01.html

It's possible results could be back in days but with the holiday weekend probably not until Tuesday at the earliest. It was only a matter of days to conclusively prove Laci's remains. Just shy of a week IIRC. I think Lisa's dna is available too or at least reported to be Lisa S. DNA Reported Found In Husband's Truck. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-pregracke-finds-body-052109,0,6262704.story

CHANNAHON, Illinois - While authorities work to identify the remains of a badly decomposed body found in the Des Plaines River, the man who found the body is Quad Cities native Chad Pregracke.

Pregracke, the founder of Living Lands and Waters, says he was on one of his boats cleaning garbage from the river in WIll County Wednesday afternoon, when he spotted what looked like a body.

''I sat there for like 10 minutes trying to figure out if it was what I thought it was, and then I was like, time to call the police'', Pregracke said Thursday. ''They were here real quick!''

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1586455,052209body.article

May 22, 2009

A n autopsy performed Thursday on remains found Wednesday along the Des Plaines River was inconclusive, not revealing "any significant information in reference to the identity, race or sex of the skeletal remains," the Will County coroner's office said...

... "The partial skeletal remains consisted of a rib cage, spinal column and partial left and right femur bones," Coroner Patrick O'Neil reported, adding that the "head, arms and below the knee extremities" were missing. The search continues for the missing remains, he said...

A bit more at link.

Hi Chico ;} Thanks for that. Do you know if the pelvis would be mentioned separately? I ask because the first thing we heard that they had was the torso. Torso was even mentioned on Jane's show tonight. It is kind of hard to imagine a skeletal torso without hips, or a pelvis, don't you think? xoxoxo

This from the WGN news article this morning:

The remains consisted of a rib cage, spinal column and partial left and right femur bones. (my bolding) The remains were found with shreds of blue jeans containing a small amount of U.S. currency, according to the coroner's office.

The head, arms and parts of the body below the knee were not found with the remains examined today, the coroner's office said. Authorities continue to search for them, officials said.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-body-found-des-plaines-river-may21,0,4038321.story

It sounds like to me that these parts were separate from each other and not connected anymore but just found together. They say shreds of jeans were found so they would be on the left and right femur bones. I don't know enough about the skeleton to know how the rib cage and spinal column might still be connected if the tendons/ligaments are all dissolved.

While it doesn't mention the pelvis, it does say the following:

"The remains were found with shreds of blue jeans containing a small amount of U.S. currency, according to the coroner's office."

If a small amount of currency were found, that would indicate that it was found in a pocket. It seems then that the waist of the jeans may have been intact and therefore the pelvis.........perhaps?

Yes, if a label and size were found, that would make a difference.

In terms of Lisa and Stacy - both 5'2" but with a weight difference of 20 pounds, that would be significant in terms of size. It could easily be a difference of 4 sizes. Stacy would probably be a 0 and Lisa probably a 6. So, if there's a label with a size, that's a huge clue.

If this is Stacy, Drew Peterson has definitely seen his last day of freedom. I'm so sick of men like him......monsters disguised as rescuers. :furious: :furious: :furious:

I forgot to add this in my last post, but since Stacy was going to help paint a house interior on the day she disappeared, it would make sense that she would have been wearing jeans.

I wonder if there are any other women missing from that area, besides Stacy P. and Lisa S. ?

What matters is that this much was found. Pretty miraculous in itself.
You can say that again. (I made sure you just did!) It really is a miracle being in the water for an extended period of time. It is also amazing she was ever found, too. That man was in the right place at the very right time.

I wonder if there are any other women missing from that area, besides Stacy P. and Lisa S. ?
Good question. We should check on that possibility.

I did catch that they believe Lisa was wearing jeans earlier in the day before she went missing according to their family spokesperson. She also mentioned they cannot be certain what she had on because Craig was the one giving a description of what she was last wearing that day.

They are discussing this on Fox right now.

This from the WGN news article this morning:

The remains consisted of a rib cage, spinal column and partial left and right femur bones. (my bolding) The remains were found with shreds of blue jeans containing a small amount of U.S. currency, according to the coroner's office.

The head, arms and parts of the body below the knee were not found with the remains examined today, the coroner's office said. Authorities continue to search for them, officials said.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-body-found-des-plaines-river-may21,0,4038321.story

It sounds like to me that these parts were separate from each other and not connected anymore but just found together. They say shreds of jeans were found so they would be on the left and right femur bones. I don't know enough about the skeleton to know how the rib cage and spinal column might still be connected if the tendons/ligaments are all dissolved.

Thanks Stillblv, I think the vertabraes are connected by cartiledge as is the rib cage connected to the sternum. I don't know how the spinal column is connected to the femur but would think cartilege as well.

The man who first saw the bones said it looked like a body which would lead me to believe they were not all spread out but maybe laying in place.

I think it is just that they didn't give an itemized list of what bones they found. I think the pelvis is probably there. But either way, they would still get DNA. And if I remember correctly I read yesterday that they did get DNA during the autopsy. Of course that was a media report, not a quote from a coroner so it isn't positive, but it is hopeful.

But if they still cannot determine the sex of the body, there must not be a pelvis which would prove either male or female.

But if they still cannot determine the sex of the body, there must not be a pelvis which would prove either male or female.

Or it could mean the pelvic bone was too damaged to be able to make that determination. Or it could mean that the pelvis was on that borderline.

While there are general guidelines on the size of a man's pelvis is vs. a woman's pelvis, actual human measurements may differ. And I think I read that both Lisa and Stacey had had C- sections. So their pelvis' may have been too narrow to allow a safe birth.

Hi DzWife, I thought when news of the remains first came out it was said they were of a small woman. There had to be some reason they thought this, don't you think? It was from the clean up guys or staff at the scene.

That is why I believe the ME doesn't want to give any info at this point as it is such a high profile case. He gave us a few bones and that's pretty much it until he gets DNA back. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77