Issues with Specific Thread Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I find very difficult about it. It's the same way the Car seat discussion leads to the deafness, or the temperatures outside, or if it is feasible that he could forget him. It's so hard to stay on one and only one aspect of the case when discussing the case as a whole. Also, some threads feel vague as in "alternative theories" its so wide open its difficult for that to not become a GD thread. Or while discussing Leanne in the Leanne thread, its really hard not to discuss Ross and the six minute phone call and the movies....or their marriage or sexting.

Having so many individual threads is great for some, but I like the big picture of general discussion. To me, all of the different threads with all of the different rules is overwhelming, as in I can no longer see the forest for the trees... branches... and each tiny individual leaf / thread.

I miss the GD thread.

With so little available information at this early stage of this case, not having a general discussion thread seems to limit the conversation.

I enjoy having topical threads as more information is released, and I also think a general discussion thread is useful during those times when we're all waiting on more information.

I understand why the general thread was shut down (bickering, tangents that had nothing at all to do with this case, etc.), but until more info comes out, I think the topical threads are going to be sparse.

I'm on the fence regarding thread specific topics. The Heather Elvis case first brought me to WS. I lurked for months, and I was going to join...just wanted to get a feel for everything first. It started as a general thread, and then one day I came to lurk, and there were all these different threads! I was like, whoa! As a newbie, I found it overwhelming, and I did't register then. Honestly, it's probably why I haven't been following her case as much as I used to. I'm subscribed to her forum, and I read new posts, but I rarely, if ever (can't remember) posting there.

I didn't register on WS until I started following Relisha Rudd's case, a general thread (last time I checked) and that's when I started posting. Imo, the convo does flow better in a general thread.

Probably because of my experience with Heather's forum, I wasn't too overwhelmed when this one went thread-specific last night. It's more work to follow along though, imo. You go to a thread, read, maybe post, then go back to the main forum page, click on another thread and read/post, over and over. Not very user-friendly imo.

However, I can see value in breaking out certain topics - hence why I'm on the fence. For example, I am already convinced that JRH (or anybody else sitting in that tiny vehicle, moo) would see the carseat, and more specifically, they would see Cooper IN the carseat -- so for me, respectfully, I have no interest in the carseat thread.

IMO, I think we need to find a "happy medium," where we can discuss general topics, but not be bogged down by very specific topics. What is that happy medium? I don't know. Before last night, for me, it was the "scroll-n-roll" method.

Personally, I'm already used to the multiple threads, but I'm just hoping I don't lose interest like I did in Heather's case. Ok, let me rephrase that, I have not lost interest in Heather's case and I know I will not lose interest in Cooper, what I mean is that it might get so exhausting trying to keep up, that I just won't be involved in the forum as much as I used to. JMO. My :twocents: worth.

I'm on the fence regarding thread specific topics. The Heather Elvis case first brought me to WS. I lurked for months, and I was going to join...just wanted to get a feel for everything first. It started as a general thread, and then one day I logged on, and there were all these different threads! I was like, whoa! As a newbie, I found it overwhelming, and I did't register then. Honestly, it's probably why I haven't been following her case as much as I used to. I'm subscribed to her forum, and I read new posts, but I rarely, if ever (can't remember) posting there.

I didn't register on WS until I started following Relisha Rudd's case, a general thread (last time I checked) and that's when I started posting. Imo, the convo does flow better in general thread.

Probably because of my experience with Heather's forum, I wasn't too overwhelmed when this one went thread-specific last night. It's more work to follow along though, imo. You go to a thread, read, maybe post, then go back to the main forum page, click on another thread and read/post, over and over. Not very user-friendly imo.

However, I can see value in breaking out certain topics - hence why I'm on the fence. For example, I am already convinced that JRH (or anybody else sitting in that tiny vehicle) would see the carseat, and more specifically, they would see Cooper IN the carseat -- so for me, respectfully, I have no interest in the carseat thread.

IMO, I think we need to find a "happy medium," where we can discuss general topics, but not be bogged down by very specific topics. What is that happy medium? I don't know. Before last night, for me, it was the "scroll-n-roll" method.

Personally, I'm already used to the multiple threads, but I'm just hoping I don't lose interest like I did in Heather's case. Ok, let me rephrase that, I have not lost interest in Heather case and I know I will not lose interest in Cooper, what I mean is that it might get so exhausting trying to keep up, that I just won't be involved in the forum as much as I used to. JMO. My :twocents: worth.
I think you pretty much nailed my feelings on this too.

I miss the general discussion thread :( But it's not going to stop me from following this sad case

I especially hate that it ended on thread #13

I like even numbers

What I noticed in the GD thread was that of course sometimes it derailed (every thread does sometimes) and sometimes it was just fine and on topic and people would complain that it was derailing, when in reality it wasn't. I've seen both happen. And I saw the same thing happen in a specific thread today. (Alternate Theories).

Now the specific threads will kind of derail for the same reason, one aspect of the case, say the carseat, will lead to a question or comment about another aspect of the case Chik-Fil-A, the kiss goodbye, then the drive, then the lunch break, or the timeline. It's easier to derail a specific thread than it is general discussion. And breaking the discussion up into so many different threads seems to derail the conversation entirely by scattering it so much, the activity and conversation declines greatly. Then, you have to worry so much about derailing the specific threads, I don't even go into the Alternative Theory thread because I have no idea how to correctly post in it, so I just read it and don't bother to discuss.

Do I sound crazy or am I explaining it clearly?

Basically it feels like breaking it up to avoid derailing, derails the discussion even further.

Just my input.

Wow no ideas but I've just got to say this (websleuths) is the best ran forum I've ever participated in. All this effort to keep things on track. Great stuff

I much-preferred having a general discussion thread with specifics to the side. Nothing replaces the need for a general discussion thread- that is where so much comes together. JMO but I don't get as much of a meta-perspective from the specific threads.

Wow no ideas but I've just got to say this (websleuths) is the best ran forum I've ever participated in. All this effort to keep things on track. Great stuff

lol ty Trying to live up to being democratic! always a work in progress............JMO

I was actually enjoying the Alternative Theories thread in all it's "imperfection"...but again, this is where our different personalities come in.

This case horrifies and puzzles me at the same time. I wake up at night trying to make sense of it...fit the pieces together.

I can't do it.

The other day, I wrote some long post and someone pointed out a flaw in my reasoning. I actually LOVE that...because I really, really want to make some sense of this horror. Being "right" in my opinion... is not anything at all! Nothing! I want people to help me fix where I am off track. This Board has so many great minds and great contributors. So a thread where we just read this theory, that theory, this other theory...that is not too interesting in my opinion.

We are "sleuthing"... That takes lots of eyes, ears, good thinking and lots of exchange of ideas. I guess I feel our goal is to try and use our respective input and outlook to try to figure this tragedy out. In the same way that the authorities and everyone who knows the family, or loved that child is trying to do.

That's more important to me than the "purity" of the thread.

Just my two cents.

I think the alternative theory thread could be a discussion (Q&A) thread but keep it based on the theories that are posted.

Maybe the word alternate/alternative was not the best way to describe it? Maybe a - What if it was Not intentional? thread.

The majority of opinion is he did it intentionally - all facts and reasons point in that direction, it can be no other way.

Since it is the majority view point, there will obviously be more posts and comments directed that way. It's been hard to get a post in edge wise though, with out an over ride. Almost to the point of having to justify/defend the post just to bring up the mere mention of a different possibility.

We are all looking at the same facts, reading the same articles, watching the same videos and coming to a conclusion which may not be the same.

Some are firm in their believes, some are on the fence, and some just want to discuss all angles regardless. No one way is correct, right, or wrong.
One is not delusional, or not seeing the facts for what they truly are, if the conclusion is not the same as your own.

I have to hand it to the mods, they are great at doing the difficult job they have. :tyou:

I think the alternative theory thread could be a discussion (Q&A) thread but keep it based on the theories that are posted.

Maybe the word alternate/alternative was not the best way to describe it? Maybe a - What if it was Not intentional? thread.

The majority of opinion is he did it intentionally - all facts and reasons point in that direction, it can be no other way.

Since it is the majority view point, there will obviously be more posts and comments directed that way. It's been hard to get a post in edge wise though, with out an over ride. Almost to the point of having to justify/defend the post just to bring up the mere mention of a different possibility.

We are all looking at the same facts, reading the same articles, watching the same videos and coming to a conclusion which may not be the same.

Some are firm in their believes, some are on the fence, and some just want to discuss all angles regardless. No one way is correct, right, or wrong.
One is not delusional, or not seeing the facts for what they truly are, if the conclusion is not the same as your own.

I have to hand it to the mods, they are great at doing the difficult job they have. :tyou:

I think a thread titled Alternative Theories would almost have to consist of posts that would conclude that RH and or LH are innocent and that is fine but it leaves a lot of posters out of the discussion. IMO

Do schools still sponsor debate teams? I wish they would. Disagreeing with a position taken by another ....is not disrespect...it's an intellectual exercise. It's about "testing" each other's conclusions by looking at flaws in arguments and incorrect "facts." Everyone gets "nipped" at points in a good debate.

The idea isn't even to "convince" the other side. It's a way to actually strengthen your own position ....to accept the weaknesses, respond to them, or remove them from your argument and ....carry on.

Debate should be a mutual exercise in clarification. What's the point in these theories if they can have errors that nobody can point out? Where does that get us as sleuthers?

As I understand, the rule is "attack the post, not the poster". Seems pretty cut and dry, imo.

No need for an alternate theory thread.

I respectfully and simply ask for the general discussion thread back with MAYBE stricter warnings about --- baiting, snark, rudeness and a warning for those arguing with posters for no specific reason except to argue. ;)

PULEASEEEEE SALEM and other mods and admin? :winkkiss::crush::cheer::heartluv::cupcake::giggle:

Q In which thread would it be appropriate to mention a possible date that RH had in feb 2014?

I think a thread titled Alternative Theories would almost have to consist of posts that would conclude that RH and or LH are innocent and that is fine but it leaves a lot of posters out of the discussion. IMO

regarding BBM: If it was just an innocent thread, your right there may not be many posters. There may not be any posters.

I thought that the Alternative Theories thread was set up to have different theories posted, discussed, questioned that was different from the RH intended to kill Cooper theory. Not that it can only be discussed why they are innocent, or that the theories can not have questions asked.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly? I just saw that the general thread was hard to discuss varied view points if it did not lead back to RH purposely killed :moo:

Ok, so I stated upthread that I'm already used to the thread specific topics, and I am, but that doesn't mean that I like them! Just spent 10 minutes looking for a post I read earlier, couldn't reply when I read it, and now I can't find it to reply...I give up! All this clicking back and forth, scrolling through pages of posts, is making me dizzy, literally. I have to go cook dinner anyway, so this is good time to log off. Think I'll take a break tonight. Goodnight, all!

regarding BBM: If it was just an innocent thread, your right there may not be many posters. There may not be any posters.

I thought that the Alternative Theories thread was set up to have different theories posted, discussed, questioned that was different from the RH intended to kill Cooper theory. Not that it can only be discussed why they are innocent, or that the theories can not have questions asked.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly? I just saw that the general thread was hard to discuss varied view points if it did not lead back to RH purposely killed :moo:

I think the AT thread could be limiting because in this case (and maybe I lack imagination) it could only be one way or the other. RH intended to cause the death of Cooper,or it was a terrible accident caused by being forgetful.
Not many other options as we know that RH left the child in the car.
When the majority seem to think it was intentional and you have a specific thread asking for alternatives,it would lead me to conclude that the thread is asking for other possibilities aside from what it seems the majority feels to be guilt.
I actually think the thread was a good idea as it would give the minority a place to discuss other options without feeling piled on.
Trust me...I have been the minority in a few cases and it isn't easy so I do understand.
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member