CANADA Canada - James Walton, a.k.a. Michael De Bourcier, 27, Caledonia, ON, 2 Aug 1992

I really hope that Dylan returns to WS to give us more info!

Hey Everybody - I thought I'd check this forum and give a couple of updates.

The OPP press release makes it seem as though the OPP solved the case, which is not the case. I solved the case by combing through missing persons databases until I came across the picture of James Scott Walton. My heart skipped a beat. Even though the guy I knew was 10 years older than JSW (and maybe 50 pounds heavier, and with much less hair). I knew instantly that my friend "Michael De Bourcier" was actually James Scott Walton.

Hey Everybody - I thought I'd check this forum and give a couple of updates.

The OPP press release makes it seem as though the OPP solved the case, which is not the case. I solved the case by combing through missing persons databases until I came across the picture of James Scott Walton. My heart skipped a beat. Even though the guy I knew was 10 years older than JSW (and maybe 50 pounds heavier, and with much less hair). I knew instantly that my friend "Michael De Bourcier" was actually James Scott Walton.

Welcome to the thread, dylanreibling!!
Very interesting case, glad you followed through and helped with identification!
Can you think of ( and share ) the reason/s your friend may have wanted to disappear?
When will the doc. be available to watch?

I can say that James Walton was a respectable citizen with no criminal record and a loving and supportive family. There are still many questions that we would love to have answered, but I can say that much for now.

In terms of the documentary, I'm hoping to have a short version ready in a couple of months. There will be a full-length version at some point in the future, but that timeline is yet to be determined. It's always a long process, so I appreciate everyone's patience and interest!

From MSM articles it seems that there was a DNA match -- glad that the family was able to get confirmation. How long did the actual exhumation permission process and testing take??

Thanks for coming back to the thread Dylan!

I was wondering that myself.

Goderich Ont. is mentioned in video posted, also, fwiw, it seems JSW wanted to teach business English in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj2BIac8_7E

"Raconteurs presents "SUPERHEROES" - Dylan Reibling - "Friends With Mike"

the you tube video gives a fair bit of background information including the names of some of the small SW On towns such as Clinton and Goderich.....and there was mention of a couple of others

There was actually no exhumation (to the great relief of family and friends).

In 2002, when James' body was found (under the name of Michael De Bourcier) there was some confusion about the identity. So the coroner's office decided to save a tissue sample during the autopsy. All that was needed was a mouth swab of a suspected relative, which was easily obtained. I was told that DNA test results typically take 3 months, but they rushed it through and it took about 6 weeks.

There was actually no exhumation (to the great relief of family and friends).

In 2002, when James' body was found (under the name of Michael De Bourcier) there was some confusion about the identity. So the coroner's office decided to save a tissue sample during the autopsy. All that was needed was a mouth swab of a suspected relative, which was easily obtained. I was told that DNA test results typically take 3 months, but they rushed it through and it took about 6 weeks.

That's impressive news. BZ to the diligence of the coroner's office ! Also .... impressive is your tenacity in finding resolution in your friend's identity and it must have provided some solace to his family.

So LE had a an UID male or a body with a questionable ID. Does any report(s) exist in MSM about LE needing help with identifying him? Any official documents? He is still listed on the doe network. Don't they remove a person after they are located? Maybe I've got my networks mixed up!

So LE had a an UID male or a body with a questionable ID. Does any report(s) exist in MSM about LE needing help with identifying him? Any official documents? He is still listed on the doe network. Don't they remove a person after they are located? Maybe I've got my networks mixed up!

Strange story, it seems LE is still investigating, but the body was identified as the missing man, James Scott Walton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...entity-of-b-c-boy-who-died-in-1970s-1.3083234
rbbm.

"Ontario Provincial Police say they've discovered Walton had assumed the name of Michael Debourcier – a four-year-old boy who had died in a car crash in British Columbia – and moved to Toronto in 2000.

>snip

"OPP, working with Walton's mother and the coroner, used DNA from "Debourcier" to determine his true identity was James Scott Walton."

What an amazing story! :thud:

We are so lucky to have Dylan here with us providing us with details - A Big Thank You to you Dylan!!

Also, Walter's family must be extremely happy that you were tenacious in your search for Michael's true identity!!

New article in The Star. A few more details and info that he actually had quite a few different IDs.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/gta/2015/06/14/the-truth-about-mike.html

I think his family nows more then they are letting on. They probably have an idea about why he went missing. So odd that he stayed so close to home with a fake identity. You'd think he would have ran into someone he knew over time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone -

I had a couple of requests from people to notify them when the documentary about my search for the true identity of Michael De Bourcier was released. It will be airing on CBC TV in Canada on Thursday March 3rd @ 9:00pm. Details below.

LOOKING FOR MIKE
Thursday March 3 @ 9:00pm
on CBC TV (main network)
http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episodes/looking-for-mike

Hello Everyone -

I had a couple of requests from people to notify them when the documentary about my search for the true identity of Michael De Bourcier was released. It will be airing on CBC TV in Canada on Thursday March 3rd @ 9:00pm. Details below.

LOOKING FOR MIKE
Thursday March 3 @ 9:00pm
on CBC TV (main network)
http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episodes/looking-for-mike

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the doc!
From link..
Looking for Mike catches up with Dylan and his investigation into his friend's true identity. Dylan hires private investigator Dave Perry to help him take the case to the next level. Dave is a retired Toronto Police homicide detective with a formidable record of high profile cases with the Toronto Police. Looking For Mike explores the nature of appearances and what it means to really know someone.

The shocking revelations that came out after Mike's death had a devastating impact on those around him. His friends and co-workers began second-guessing themselves – parsing through every little detail they knew about Mike and trying to figure out who “Michael De Bourcier” really was. Friends With Mike follows Dylan as he pieces together a portrait of a man who didn't want to be known.

I watched tonight. Nicely done. I've been following since before you discovered who he was so it was nice to have the closure.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back