GUILTY FL - Haile Brockington, 2, dies in hot car, Delray Beach, 5 Aug 2010

Here's another local article:

Girl, 2, found dead in van outside Delray Beach day care center
Toddler may have been left in the vehicle for six hours, police say

By Jerome Burdi, Sofia Santana and Eric Newcomer, Sun Sentinel

7:46 a.m. EDT, August 6, 2010
DELRAY BEACH — A 2-year-old girl was left inside a day care center's van for hours Thursday before anyone noticed.

By then, it was too late.

A recently hired driver for Katie's Kids Learning Center had picked up the toddler at her home to bring her to the day care center, but the child never made it out of the van, according to her relatives and day care workers. The employees declined to give their names.

**more at link**

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pa...fl-delray-baby-death-20100805,0,7130699.story

The local news showed all the day care workers leaving yesterday and no one said a word to the media. I agree with everyone at that day care should be charged. How do you pick up a 2 yr old and then forget all about her and leave her in the van for SIX HOURS!!!????

This is an absolutely heartbreaking story. My prayers are with her family.

Horrible, and unforgivable, in my opinion.

Oh poor poor baby. This will be a major civil lawsuit before all is said and done. I do not know how this could have happened.

What a terrible story.

This is exactly why I never trusted my son to daycares PERIOD when he was that small...

I have a hard time trusting people and when you hear stories like this... it makes you want to never let your child out of your sight.

RIP little angel, and God bless the family and see them through this horrific time.

No parent should ever have to bury their child.

Oh poor poor baby. This will be a major civil lawsuit before all is said and done. I do not know how this could have happened.
Not quite sure there is anything there. Seems these two women just opened this day care last Oct. or Nov. Let's hope they had appropriate insurance!

I still just can't understand how this happened. Its NEGLECT and IGNORANCE at its best!!!!!

And poor little Hayley ended up a victim.

my seething comment in my head makes me bannable...sooooooooooo

just OMG..HOW STUPID DOES ONE GET TO BE TO WORK WITH INNOCENT CHILDREN? :banghead: :furious:

Wouldn't you think, when you drive a bus/van that carries kids, you would check the vehicle everytime you parked it? I would check seats, check under seats, and ask if anyone was there. Doesn't matter if I "knew" no one was there, I would do it anyway.

I am astounded that there seems to have been no checks and balances in place to prevent this from happening. A simple check in/out sheet that the driver would check off on a list the children picked up that day would have easily shown the driver or the daycare staffers that this girl was unaccounted for. So very senseless and so very preventable.

inexcusable and totally preventable! i used to work at a daycare and we had a list of the kids at all times. i was doing head counts CONSTANTLY.
those poor parents - even though it isn't their fault at all, i'm sure they feel guilty anyway.

How horrible!!:( When my daycare takes the kids to field trips on the bus, they have a list to check off all the kids who get on the bus and then all the kids that get off the bus. Obviously, this daycare didn't have a similar system.

My prayers to the family.

I would like to know:

How many children were picked up by this driver
The ages of the children
Were they all in car seats
How many passengers/car seats the van held
How in the h### someone could NOT see this precious angel and get her out of there!

My God, peoples incompetence never ceases to amaze me

What a terrible story.

This is exactly why I never trusted my son to daycares PERIOD when he was that small...

I have a hard time trusting people and when you hear stories like this... it makes you want to never let your child out of your sight.

RIP little angel, and God bless the family and see them through this horrific time.

No parent should ever have to bury their child.

I was very, very blessed to be able to stay at home and be the major caretaker of my children, but I know women who, through no fault of their own, weren't so lucky. It must be beyond horrible to entrust your precious child to someone's care and have her die due to negligence.

It just breaks my heart to hear things like this. It would be so simple to prevent these deaths, just a glance around.

I was very, very blessed to be able to stay at home and be the major caretaker of my children, but I know women who, through no fault of their own, weren't so lucky. It must be beyond horrible to entrust your precious child to someone's care and have her die due to negligence.
It just breaks my heart to hear things like this. It would be so simple to prevent these deaths, just a glance around.

ITA BBM I too was blessed (and sacrificed some luxuries) in order to be at home with my children. I had a mother who provided licensed home daycare to children, with an emphasis on those with special needs. When I had my own children, there was never going to be a daycare situation that could possibly live up to the standard I saw under my mothers tutelage. I decided early on that I would only feel safe if my children were with me, or family. I feel so lucky to have had family to rely on. Some mothers must work and are not as fortunate as I was. I too cannot imagine how dificult that must be to leave your child in someone elses care and trust in their ability to act properly with your most precious little one.

From August 2011:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...a-lee-inman-barbara-dilthey-haile-brockington

Two former employees of a Delray Beach day care center pled guilty Tuesday to aggravated manslaughter of a child in the death last summer of 2-year-old Haile Brockington.

Amanda Lee Inman, 32, and Petra Rodriguez-Perez, 45, both were sentenced to 10 years probation...

The Haile Brockington Act, sponsored by state Sen. Maria Sachs, D-Delray Beach, passed the Florida Senate this year but failed in the House. The bill would have required safety alarms in day-care vehicles transporting six or more children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back