2012.02.07 - 911 Tapes Released

oh my gosh.. the male 911 operator wasted valuable time with all the demanding basic questions. I know that is his job.. but the woman was in a panic.. the sarcastic and rude remarks about her supervising herself took up alot of time.. why her license plate.. oh my .. life theatning emergency.. after she told him it was emergency he ignored it..

he should be fired asap

incidentally she said could hear child crying.. and it was about 10 minutes they had been in there.. this gets worse. It was reported 2 minutes after they were there.. so now 10 minutes of pure torment.. sick each development even more so than the last.

OMG - 911 operator to caseworker:

"wait a minute, you can't supervise yourself if it's a supervised visit"

I've searched all this time for a link to listen at (the other ones wouldn't work for me) and now I'm so freaking frustrated I wish I hadn't bothered.

RIP boys. I'm so sorry.

btw the link I posted, they've beeped out the social worker's name & phone #

...she knocked and rang the doorbell several times and "begged him to let me in." She then got into her car and backed it out of the driveway because she could smell gasoline."
Powerful words and high drama moves on the SW's part...........what a heroine.

I have to say that I'm quite shocked at the callousness of the 911 operator on the first call (#7). He is oblivious to the gravity of the whole situation even after the SW went into great detail, mentioning smelling the gas and a brief history of the case. Precious minutes wasted because he didn't believe her.

I hope that she knows that she did everything in her power to save Charlie & Braden, it's so obvious from the tapes. :grouphug: Wishing her much healing and strength.

To be completely frank and honest, there was nothing anyone could do from the moment JP decided he was going to do this, to the time he did this.

Everyone did their best, and while we can look back and see things we may have done differently, hindsight is always 20/20. Yes, we should look at, and examine, the series of events, but we should also always remember that we were NOT there, we did NOT have the pressure and the insanity in our faces, and we did NOT watch two children get brutally murdered by hatcheting and then explosions carried out by their father.

Josh Powell would have done this, period. It is luck, pure and simple, that we are not talking about a third murder (the S/W), or third and fourth murders (the Coxes).

I don't care how fast LE responded or didn't respond. They would never have been able to stop JP from igniting the blasts. Even if they were right outside, he would have done it.

If the 911 operator was a pure idiot, JP still would have done it.
If the 911 operator was able to send out squads right then, JP still would have done it.
If the kids had entered after the S/W, JP would have done it.
If visitation was not allowed, JP still would have done it, but at the Coxes' house.

It was gonna happen. From the moment when JP made up his mind this was how it was going to end, it was going to happen.

The responsibility of this lays only on JP. Not the social worker, and even if the 911 operator is a complete idiot, it's still not his fault. There were no actions anyone could take, even with dispatching immediately everything LE had including SWAT and HRT, that was going to stop JP.

JP was going to do what he did.

Best-
Herding Cats

She was not a social worker! She was a person "supervising visits" most likely due to the fact a family member did not want to! Josh probably was paying per hour for her to do the job. She was an ordinary human doing her job..

And frankly if most knew how little control "social workers" have, you would be in shock.. The laws are not to protect the innocent children, the "goal" is to give them back. Anyone who has experienced it knows what I mean.

I've put myself in so many people's shoes within this story and after listening to the call I thought "what could I have done?"... And I can't see myself doing any more than the social worker did. I thought, drive the car through the house... But where we're the boys, and then the threat of smelling the gas. Can't do that. Or, break out a window... But what's behind that wall? I've gone over so many theories and there isn't one that could of been done. However, those 3 wasted minutes. Had someone of been there to break down that door, just maybe.

Just maybe.

I don't think I'll ever make sense of this one. This sucks, it really does.

Herding Cats you are right, people need to stop looking for others to blame. It would have happened if not Sunday then another day..

I really felt for everyone in those 911 calls. I can't remember which operator/call but you could tell the eye opening moment when they asked if she was saying it was intentional. It was like the light bulb came on.

I don't think anything would have changed the outcome.

I've put myself in so many people's shoes within this story and after listening to the call I thought "what could I have done?"... And I can't see myself doing any more than the social worker did. I thought, drive the car through the house... But where we're the boys, and then the threat of smelling the gas. Can't do that. Or, break out a window... But what's behind that wall? I've gone over so many theories and there isn't one that could of been done. However, those 3 wasted minutes. Had someone of been there to break down that door, just maybe.

Just maybe.

I don't think I'll ever make sense of this one. This sucks, it really does.

I think if anyone had gotten in they too would have been a victim. So sad and senseless.

How could you even begin to imagine such an event. We all knew he was dangerous. But truth be told have any of us ever imagined that Josh would hatchet his boys, spread gas and implode the house? Not in a million years would any of us known that he could do these unthinkable things.......... Murder his wife? Yes, treat the boys badly? Yes. But not in the world could anyone have been trained to enter that lion's den.

This is pure evil. And the case worker did the best thing she could do. We never know how we will react. We heard earlier she was pounding on windows and the door. Her first instinct was to try to get to the boys. And then her instinct turned to getting help. The woman really is in some serious trauma. I believe in my heart she tried her best.

Those boys never should have been there to start. The court had to know they were dealing with a very questionable father in Josh. It starts at the court level and this worker was just doing her job and got caught in a horrific nightmare.

I :heart: you Gram.

We think the same. You are my fam. :hug:

I'd really like to know why the fire department was not called immediately after the woman stated she smelled gas.!!!! Why didn't the first 911 dispatcher do that?

I tend to go into panic mode when having to call 911, so that man at the dispatch would have been told to STFU and listen.

I agree with herding as well, I don't really think there was much anyone could do that day to stop him in time. It still doesn't change the fact that the male 911 operator was pretty rude. Is that how he handles all his calls?

I'd really like to know why the fire department was not called immediately after the woman stated she smelled gas.!!!! Why didn't the first 911 dispatcher do that?

I tend to go into panic mode when having to call 911, so that man at the dispatch would have been told to STFU and listen.

My understanding is that the fire department MIGHT have been called immediately, ditto with the police - just because it sounds to us as though the call was going on, and questions were being asked about height, weight, car color, etc., doesn't mean the emergency responders weren't on their way. They were. The purpose of the questions is so that the details can be radioed ahead to them, and when they arrive, they will know who to talk to on the scene.

The operator would be asking for details about JP, thinking they had a hostage situation, and wanting info for SWAT so that they could identify the perp through windows, etc.

But the smell of gasoline should have rung a bell for everyone a lot sooner.

One thing I've noticed about many, many 911 calls is that the 911 operator doesn't seem to truly listen to the first things said. They seem so focused on their "script" that they waste precious time, just as the operator did here when he didn't seem to get the whole concept of the supervised visitation. Most adults know what that is, and she was extremely clear in the first thing she said. He didn't listen, and this is something I've heard over and over again in 911 calls on other cases.

IMHO, 911 training state- and country-wide needs to be looked at.

I am shocked and appalled at the 911 Operator. IMO he made rude and degrading comments about how she couldn't possibly be responsible for supervised visits.

"you want to pull out of the driveway because you smell gasoline?"

"and who is there is exercise their visitation?"

"so you supervise and you're there to do the visit?"

"and who is there to supervise? you supervise yourself? wait a minute..if it's a supervised visit, you can't supervise yourself if you're the visitor"

"who visits with the children"

"ok so who visits with the children?"

"ok, so you're supposed to be there to supervise josh powell's visit with the children?"

"ok how did he gain access to the children before you got there?"

IMO - he wastes precious time NOT listening to this lady and making her repeat several times info that had already been told to him. I felt she handled herself very calmly and professionally on the phone.

And then to hear him say "They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first, the first available deputy.."

And she's begging for help to come to the house. That poor lady.

I seriously hope these 911 dispatchers are talked to about these tapes. I'm just simply appalled at the way the SW was treated on the phone. It's like they totally dismissed her concerns about the children being in danger. When the SW tells the female dispatcher "I can hear the sirens but they aren't here" and the female dispatcher responds with IMO attitude in her voice "we have an engine there" Uhhmmmm....who are we to likely believe, the SW on the phone in front of the house desperately trying to get the boys help or the dispatcher sitting at the desk away from the scene.

Being a RN I absolutely understand the need to keep people calm in intense situations. But I don't really hear any true rush in either dispatchers voices trying to get her help for the boys.

I seriously hope there will be some education to not down play or patronize a legitimate call in the future. Maybe, just maybe, if the 1st dispatcher would have sent someone out immediately with an urgent response, maybe, just maybe it would have been enough time to try to save the boys. I know it's not totally realistic, but....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back