CA - Seven killed, 3 injured in Oikos University shooting, Oakland, 2 April 2012

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/02/BABJ1NTM3Q.DTL&tsp=1

"According to its website, Oikos is an independent Korean school that offers undergraduate courses in biblical studies, ministry, nursing and music, among other degrees.

The school does not show up on the U.S. Department of Education's list of accredited schools.

But the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education has approved the school to teach seven degree-granting programs: bachelors degrees in biblical studies and music; masters in divinity, music and Asian medicine, a doctorate in ministry, and an associates degree in nursing."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/02/BABJ1NTM3Q.DTL#ixzz1quk7WPzo

Something now about people being shot in/around a street, median, divide; all dead there. Two shooting areas? Two shooters?

Suspect arrested in a Ross clothing store parking lot, in Alameda. Can a local give info as to how far away this is?

Best-
Herding Cats

About 15 minutes if the traffic isn't too bad.

Link to map

thanks, ynot. And appreciate the title change, too.

15 minutes by car? Foot?

As usual, all the details are a bit vague and discrepancies are being reported. Still not sure where the first shooting took place, if there was a second location (e.g. the median shooting), how many people have lost their lives, and if the shooter began or ended in the classroom (some reports have him shooting outside, then inside; and vice versa).

God bless those individuals who've lost their lives today; in a most horrific, and sad, manner. And God bless all those who tended to the wounded, and who responded - LE, EMT, and all the other folks involved.

My suspicion is that we are going to find out about an unemployed man who had returned to school, was not making it, and has a history of violent outbreaks in his past. Nursing school is brutally difficult, and I know of one of my fellow students who was released from the program for mental instability; we saw her hanging out at the parking lot, and we always worried that she'd have a gun. I am NOT excusing the gunman, just sharing my experience in both nursing school and with a student we were scared of.

Best-
Herding Cats

15 minutes by car? Foot?

As usual, all the details are a bit vague and discrepancies are being reported. Still not sure where the first shooting took place, if there was a second location (e.g. the median shooting), how many people have lost their lives, and if the shooter began or ended in the classroom (some reports have him shooting outside, then inside; and vice versa).

God bless those individuals who've lost their lives today; in a most horrific, and sad, manner. And God bless all those who tended to the wounded, and who responded - LE, EMT, and all the other folks involved.

My suspicion is that we are going to find out about an unemployed man who had returned to school, was not making it, and has a history of violent outbreaks in his past. Nursing school is brutally difficult, and I know of one of my fellow students who was released from the program for mental instability; we saw her hanging out at the parking lot, and we always worried that she'd have a gun. I am NOT excusing the gunman, just sharing my experience in both nursing school and with a student we were scared of.

Best-
Herding Cats

I would not be surprised by it one bit.

About 15 minutes if the traffic isn't too bad.

Link to map

Ynot, thanks for that. It would have to have been driving...no way he could've gotten that far without a car. Not a straight line by any stretch, you know?

I'm wondering now if the median shooting wasn't because he jacked a car to get away.

That will be interesting to follow.

Brutal, brutal man.

Best-
Herding Cats

15 minutes by car. Alameda's an island; he could also have gone south and come in over the Otis St. bridge but an easier/more direct route would be to go up the frontage road that tracks the highway, then cut over using the High St. tunnel (this is the path that's highlighted on that Google map).

I'm not seeing for sure that he was apprehended at Ross--anyone find a link yet?

Suspect in Oakland religious school shooting detained miles away

The suspect being questioned in the mass shooting at an Oakland religious nursing college was detained several miles away in Alameda, officials said.

Meanwhile, officials said there were "mass fatalities" in the shooting, but it remained unclear how many people were killed. Several media reports said about 10 people were hit but there were conflicting reports as to how many are dead.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...gion-school-shooting-detained-miles-away.html

No, I don't have a link...I heard it on FOX and also while flipping channels (not Fox, but another cable station. Sorry, I can't recall which one). And to be clear, some reports have said that the median shooting report was actually at the school - that it may be there isn't a second location, but that there may have been some confusion as to where the bodies were laying.

Dunno. I am sure the presser later will clear things up (but I won't be able to watch it; and am not sure it's even announced yet).

Best-
Herding Cats

Scary. My brother lives in East Oakland and works at a private Catholic school so when I saw the headline, my heart skipped a beat. But he works with kids. (Teaches music and religion).

This is very sad news. I can't imagine what the families of the people there are going through. Praying for them.

Yay guns!!! :banghead: I know, I know.... "guns don't kill people.....cars are a lethal weapon too....blah, blah, blah"

Maybe the NRA will hire George Zimmerman as a spokesperson when his little incident "blows over". Or this dude, whoever he is....

15 minutes by car? Foot?

Best-
Herding Cats

You amaze me. You have to read this one.

6 dead, 3 wounded in shooting at Christian college in Oakland
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/6-dead-6-wounded-oikos-oakland-religious.html

Police surrounded a Christian university in search of a gunman who reportedly opened fire Monday morning and killed at least six people.
The suspect was caught in the parking lot of a shopping center mall miles away from the Korean Christian school in Oakland, California.

A bystander saw a woman ran out of the building saying that her right arm had been shot.

The victim said that the shooter was in her nursing class and he stood up in the middle of class and shot another student point blank in the chest before spraying the room with bullets.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...school-shooting-California.html#ixzz1qv5TFpgm

Yay guns!!! :banghead: I know, I know.... "guns don't kill people.....cars are a lethal weapon too....blah, blah, blah"

Maybe the NRA will hire George Zimmerman as a spokesperson when his little incident "blows over". Or this dude, whoever he is....

We cant lump all legal gunowners together. The vast majority of legal gunowners (75-85 million) never use their legal weapon to harm anyone. In fact they stop crimes from happening.

We cant lump all legal gunowners together. The vast majority of legal gunowners (75-85 million) never use their legal weapon to harm anyone. In fact they stop crimes from happening.

Those people who killed with guns are crazy to begin with. :crazy:

Of course we have to talk about guns when we hear about these things. The fact is, there are more guns per capita in Canada and they don't have the same ratio of gun violence that we do. So I can't say that guns are the main issue in these cases.

It would be very, very difficult to ban guns in our country. We have a national mythology that involves gun ownership. It's a part of our culture. And in this day and age, banning them would not prevent them from being obtained.

Yes, I think mentally ill people and criminals should be barred from gun ownership but many of these mass shooters have no criminal history or diagnosed mental problem before the murders.

Nuts with a vendetta are hard to stop. Sure, guns make it easier to achieve their goal (and it bothers me that we glorify guns so much in our culture) but McVeigh killed 168 people without a gun. They would likely find a way, with a gun or not, regardless if we had a ban.

What I don't want to hear, though, is that he would have been stopped if everyone was armed. In such an event, there would likely be more deaths due to crossfire.

I dont believe in guns but I dont put the blame on them either. In these cases (school shootings/work place shootings) IMO its the lack of mental health services availible. Many years ago there where so many options for these people to get help now it's like they only want to take you if you have an eating disorder. Also, I think that some families dont want their child labled so they ignore the fact that their child has serious issues,dont get them help when they're young, and then they grow up and it tends to get worse until they go "postal". If there where more options for them to get help and if they where willing to get help I feel these shootings could be less.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back