2010.06.28 - Kyron's Dad files for divorce and restraining order

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story I linked to in the OP says this as the last paragraph:

"Meisenheimer's staff have given the attorneys involved in the civil case potential dates - up to three months out - to reschedule the hearing."

It would be highly unusual--not to mention unprofessional--for a judge to give preferential treatment to one party in a divorce case. The court simply gives out dates they are available, and the parties confer to figure out which of those work for them. If one party wants to say, "Only the last date is good for us," then the other party will take it if it works for them. I think that is what happened here. Terri's attorneys took the maximum time they could to figure out their strategy.

"PORTLAND, Ore. -- A motions hearing has been scheduled for March 31 as part of restraining order and divorce proceedings between Kaine and Terri Horman."

http://www.kptv.com/news/26408010/detail.html

Wow - so long! Poor Kaine!

Gwenabob: Thanks for your insight. It makes sense to me that they chose the date furthest in the future just to stretch things out.

All TH's lawyers had to do is say they have prior scheduling conflicts on the first two dates the court gave them. Vioila! They get 3 more months.

That really surprises me.

In my state, there are only two grounds on which an attorney can turn down dates on the court calendar: already scheduled for court or on vacation.

Lawyers that are caught lying about the dates they have available can and do face court sanctions.

In this state, it would only take Ms Rackner a matter of minutes to ascertain the probable truth of the matter.

I do think it's possible that Mr Bunch, TMH's divorce lawyer, already has many court dates filled. I'm certain TMH is far from his only client.

Does anyone have a link to the dates that were proposed. Is it a fact that the date chosen was the last date available on the list?

There is no link to the dates the court gave them. The news article said three dates were given up to 3 months out. March 31st is three months out.

There is no link to the dates the court gave them. The news article said three dates were given up to 3 months out. March 31st is three months out.

I didn't get the impression that KH's attorney was such a pushover that she would just nod her head at whatever Houze said.

I didn't get the impression that KH's attorney was such a pushover that she would just nod her head at whatever Houze said.

Yeah, but she knows that alot can happen in three months and it might be a whole different thing by March if new evidence comes to light.

Yeah, but she knows that alot can happen in three months and it might be a whole different thing by March if new evidence comes to light.

That doesn't make sense to me, that she would not mind the delay, as I can't see Kaine losing either way. Also they had said that they were pushing for the case to be heard in order to try to get information about Kyron. So I don't think she would simply bow to Houze without ample proof that his calendar is full, if it is his and not hers that is the issue. Kaine sounded as though the speed of the divorce was of the essence to him.

call me crazy..but 3 months out from what ?

Kappy let me try to answer your question.

You quoted Thoughtfox asking she who. It is clear from the post that you quoted from, that the posters were talking about Kaine's Attorney. You thanked the poster for the original post in the chain.

So the answer to your question is that the posters were talking about Kaine's Attorney.

Hope this helps you understand!

Posts below.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5987453&postcount=56"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Divorce Hearing postponed[/ame]

Hi ThoughtFox, I've been wondering if that Sheriff does expect something to happen in February in Kyron's case. It might be the lawyers or LE/prosecutor don't want the divorce to affect the case in any adverse way, thus moving the divorce hearings to March. Like having testimony come out before they want it public. Just sayin' xox

Hi ThoughtFox, I've been wondering if that Sheriff does expect something to happen in February in Kyron's case. It might be the lawyers or LE/prosecutor don't want the divorce to affect the case in any adverse way, thus moving the divorce hearings to March. Like having testimony come out before they want it public. Just sayin' xox

Well before lots of folks thought that LE would wait until Feb. to do whatever they were doing to do it after the January hearings...so not sure why they would reverse it. But I don't think LE is waiting on anything, I think if they have enough to move forward, they will do so, no matter what month it is.

she who ???

I meant Kaine's attorney ~ thank you, Grandmaj! :blowkiss:

I meant that if TH's attorneys want to drag it out, there's no real way to stop them anyway, but it might also work to the advantage the Kyron Investigation because it would give them three more months to build a case against Terri.

It really doesn't work to Terri's advantage, but it would seem that nothing much can really help her now anyway. She isn't going to get custody of Baby K back, and indeed she isn't even asking for it anymore! Therefore, they want to postpone her testimony in the divorce trial as long as possible, but it also works to Kaine's advantage (even though I'm sure he'd love for the divorce to be over with as of yesterday).

Well before lots of folks thought that LE would wait until Feb. to do whatever they were doing to do it after the January hearings...so not sure why they would reverse it. But I don't think LE is waiting on anything, I think if they have enough to move forward, they will do so, no matter what month it is.

But they are waiting, aren't they? Just as all of us are waiting for a break in the case. For new evidence, and hopefully for a body.

Eventually they might want to move forward even without a body, but I think they are hoping for new information or a new lead. Someone could talk between now and February or March.

I don't think LE is waiting for anything to do with the divorce, I just think they are waiting, a: hoping to find Kyron, and b: until they think they can proceed without finding him. I don't think they are in a position to work around a divorce hearing. They know she won't be confessing.

I don't think LE is waiting for anything to do with the divorce, I just think they are waiting, a: hoping to find Kyron, and b: until they think they can proceed without finding him. I don't think they are in a position to work around a divorce hearing. They know she won't be confessing.

I've sort of lost the thread of what you are saying. I agree that LE won't wait for the divorce hearing if they wish to move forward in February. I figure they are waiting until Feb. to give the Grand Jury more time to study the evidence and to make their case.

The question I was responding to a few posts back was why Kaine's attorney would agree to a postponement.

cluciano63 said:

Number one, the timing is up to the Judge and what the Judge will allow.

Number two, there's no reason for Kaine's attorney to care if they postpone it since it works in favor of BOTH the divorce and the Kyron investigation to wait longer.

More evidence that could be gathered during the longer time period might be in Kaine's favor (in fact, I'm darned sure of that), and if they find Kyron or one of TH's friends breaks their pact of silence, then that will also work against TH in the divorce proceedings.

So again, in answer to the question of why Kaine's attorney would agree to a lengthy delay, it's a win-win situation for them (at least in legal terms - sadly nothing will bring Kyron back or restore this family).

JMOO

My point wasit was said that it was TH's lawyer who pushed for the latest date possible, although I do not know how we could know that. And i did not think it could happen that way.

Also, back when it was set for Jan. and Staton had mentioned he might name a suspect in Feb. lots of people thought he was waiting until after the divorce. Then when it was changed, some thought it was so that LE could go first. I'm just saying I think they are unrelated. LE does what LE has to do, can't wait for divorce court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158