China's one-child policy has exemptions for quake victims' parents

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
The committee announced Monday that if a couple’s legally born child was killed in the earthquake, an illegal child under 18 years could be registered as a legal replacement. If the dead child was illegal, it said the family would no longer be responsible for outstanding fines, although parents would not be reimbursed for penalties already paid.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/27/asia/27child.php

Makes me SICK!

The changes, however, may come as little solace to parents who have only a photo, a backpack or the ashes of their dead son or daughter.

That pretty much says it all. :(

China is horrible. It boggles my mind that the U.S. is even dealing with them and having them involved in making our medications and goods.

While it's not an ideal policy - I think we need to look at the whole picture. First - the penalty for more children is a fine. Just money. Second, China was faced with a population explosion out of control - to allow people to continue to have the number of children they were having would lead to mass starvation, death. Third - this is not a change - losing a child always means you can have another. Or, if you already had two, you no longer have to pay a fine on your second child.

It's horrible to lose a child - and when it is your only one, that is particularly horrible - but there are good reasons why this policy is in the best interests of all of the children of China.

While it's not an ideal policy - I think we need to look at the whole picture. First - the penalty for more children is a fine. Just money. Second, China was faced with a population explosion out of control - to allow people to continue to have the number of children they were having would lead to mass starvation, death. Third - this is not a change - losing a child always means you can have another. Or, if you already had two, you no longer have to pay a fine on your second child.

It's horrible to lose a child - and when it is your only one, that is particularly horrible - but there are good reasons why this policy is in the best interests of all of the children of China.

Indeed Details. It's a pity that India has not done likewise.

Yeah, India is a great example of the alternative. The poor kids starving in the streets there, and worse in the rural areas. When there are too many people, they become disposable, life becomes cheap. Especially the children's lives.

I understand the over population and a need to curb it. But this was never the way.

In a culture when value is primarily placed on male children and girls are viewed as worthless it deeply disturbs me. Many parents..MANY simply leave their baby girls to die...and hope baby #2 is a boy.

There is no other way to curb population other than curbing the birth rate. Unless you want to kill adults. Or they could sterilize half their people. Or arrange for a nice plague.

How do you curb overpopulation other than cutting the birth rate? They have the most gentle route possible - by making a mere monetary fine for having multiple children. Very appropriate considering the parents who are having lots of kids are doing so in order to have children who will work their farm, support them in their old age - the motivation is financial, so the resolution must be financial.

They cannot make the parents value girls - that's not something in China's control. They made it illegal to find out if you are having a girl or a boy, killing your children is illegal - nothing they can do beyond that.

I'm with you on this, Details. My goddaughter was adopted from China. She was left in a vegetable stand near a police station when she was a week old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back