Gas gouging

TaylorJ4

Reaction score
I am in TN and last night our gas stations went crazy-most are out of everything except premium gas and they are raising prices up over $5 a gallon! There are signs up limiting you to 10 gallons and they say they will probably run out of gas completely over the weekend as they can't get more delivered until Monday.

They are blaming the back to back hurricanes in the Gulf....but I think they are taking advantage of a bad situation by jacking the prices up so high! We will not be going anywhere unless absolutely necessary this weekend.

I am in TN and last night our gas stations went crazy-most are out of everything except premium gas and they are raising prices up over $5 a gallon! There are signs up limiting you to 10 gallons and they say they will probably run out of gas completely over the weekend as they can't get more delivered until Monday.

They are blaming the back to back hurricanes in the Gulf....but I think they are taking advantage of a bad situation by jacking the prices up so high! We will not be going anywhere unless absolutely necessary this weekend.

They are crazy! I am in GA (Atlanta) and it is still around the $3.55 mark. I haven't seen a single station out of gas. I drove to football last night, so unless it was LATE, it is not happening right next door to you. I just checked our newspaper online and there is nothing there about it either.

That's weird.

They have raised gas prices in Alabama too. If they are going to blame the hurricanes, they ought to at least wait until it hits. I really wish they would prosecute gas gouging. They say they will but I never see it.

They have raised gas prices in Alabama too. If they are going to blame the hurricanes, they ought to at least wait until it hits. I really wish they would prosecute gas gouging. They say they will but I never see it.

They cant do anything about price gouging unless the state has declared a state of emergency. At least that's how it works in Alabama.

They had a big todo about it right before Gustav on the news here in Mobile.

That's crazy. I'm in North Texas and the gas prices were the same this morning as last night - $3.49/gallon.

that's what they did here too and i live in a small town near Altus, Oklahoma. in soutwest Okla. Wednesday morning it was 3.52 Wed. night it was 3.49 now today Friday its up to 3.69 you're going to tell me that in less than 48hours the gas prices "had" to change 3x. Its ridiculous. It gets very frustrating

OT: indallas2 we (my kids and I) are going to be in your area Mon-Wed we are going back to Great Wolf Lodge ( we went there in April as well)

3.55 Tues, 3.59 Wed, 3.87 yesterday, 3.99 right now and rumored to go up over $5 a gallon this weekend.

Kentucky's governor has signed an order declaring a state of emergency and invoking the state's anti-price gouging law as Hurricane Ike bears down on the Texas coast.

Gov. Steve Beshear signed the order on Friday, saying gas stations started raising fuel prices overnight before the storm made landfall.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/28291749.html

My daughter just told me that in the Aiken, SC/ Augusta, GA area they are having major gas supply issues and what little there is left, the prices have went up. :(

They are crazy! I am in GA (Atlanta) and it is still around the $3.55 mark. I haven't seen a single station out of gas. I drove to football last night, so unless it was LATE, it is not happening right next door to you. I just checked our newspaper online and there is nothing there about it either.

That's weird.

I'm like 45 mins from ATL....at the cheapest today I found gas for $3.89 and I kid you not, it ran out right when we were the next people in line. We ended up paying $4.29. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son goes to Florida State in Tallahassee ( mind you-it's Florida's capitol) He said gas was up .60cents this morning to $4.50 and that the people at the station told him it might be $5.50 tomorrow morning.
I guess no one inside the capitol up there is personally feeling the crunch. I am in West Central FL on the coast and the stations are running out of fuel as we speak...bread lines noted at most stations.

Okay, it happened here this afternoon, but I didn't see any of those kind of prices. I didn't see anything over $3.89, but I did have a hard time finding a station with gas and I did have to buy "Silver" instead of "Regular." I paid $3.79/gal after waiting in a short line.

I was getting nervous b/c I had been running around all day with not one spare moment to get gas and was getting really low. I was imagining the lecture I'd get if I ran out of gas, or the conversation if I had to tell the football coach we wouldn't be at the game tomorrow b/c I didn't have enough to get there and back!

Luckily I was able to fill up but I was starting to have major anxiety.

Around here, up 20 cents Thur. to $3.95, now $4.09.
Someone I know saw it today for $5 in a city about 30 miles from here.

There have been lines at the pumps all day in my town. Gas is anywhere from $3.71 to $4.89 just in my small town. Several stations have run out of gas and the streets are lined with cars waiting to fill up. Many stations here have limited it 10 gallons. It has been nuts here today!

Okay, it happened here this afternoon, but I didn't see any of those kind of prices. I didn't see anything over $3.89, but I did have a hard time finding a station with gas and I did have to buy "Silver" instead of "Regular." I paid $3.79/gal after waiting in a short line.

I was getting nervous b/c I had been running around all day with not one spare moment to get gas and was getting really low. I was imagining the lecture I'd get if I ran out of gas, or the conversation if I had to tell the football coach we wouldn't be at the game tomorrow b/c I didn't have enough to get there and back!

Luckily I was able to fill up but I was starting to have major anxiety.

Ohhhh lucky you!!!!!!!!! And I thought ATL's prices would be worse than ours in small-town GA's!

$3.65 here in Southern California. That's the lowest in my town but a penny less than yesterday. I filled up just to be safe.

My son goes to Florida State in Tallahassee ( mind you-it's Florida's capitol) He said gas was up .60cents this morning to $4.50 and that the people at the station told him it might be $5.50 tomorrow morning.
I guess no one inside the capitol up there is personally feeling the crunch. I am in West Central FL on the coast and the stations are running out of fuel as we speak...bread lines noted at most stations.

I live in the Florida Panhandle and my husband came home from work today and told me that it took him over a half hours wait to fill up his truck @ $3.649 (that's been the price for a couple weeks). He took my car back out and couldn't get into line at the station nearest our home so he went down the road to the Tom Thumb and they were out of regular gas; he went to the Exxon across the street and paid $3.849.

He said that they were warned at work today to fill up because (1) stations were running out of gas and (2) that gas prices were expected to go over $5.00 by the weekend. RIDICULOUS!!!!!

While listening to Fox News tonight, they had the Texas Attorney General (think that was his title) on and he said that he had received phone calls regarding the same situation happening in Texas and that they would be investigated. He said, IIRC, that anything over the normal price at this point - water, fuel, roofing supplies, etc., is considered price gouging.

He said he understood the concern that the local stores have because they have to restock their fuel supply and would be paying more (given the hurricane situation), but that they should not be raising their prices by this amount. He said basically that they pass of the rise in fuel costs to their customers in advance. He said if you witness this type of thing to please contact the office in your state that deals with this type of situation.

**I heard earlier on the news that in some places in Central and South Florida, gas prices were over $7.00/gallon. At this rate, we will need another stimulus "fuel" rebate to fill our vehicles. :bang:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back