Dominic Casey: Motion to Strike Notice of Deposition & Motion for Protective Order#1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Dominic mentioned in George's suicide letter? It is odd that George claims he hasn't spoke to him in months and months , something is up with that.

Judge Strickland ruled the letter not be released to the public so only a few people know what it contained.

When did George claim he hasn't spoke to Dominic in months? I missed that. I do think it's pretty odd considering the Anthony's claim he still works for them hunting down leads for KC's case.

Well, like I said before, nobody fights that hard to avoid a depo unless they have something to hide. JB must know what it is because he doesn't want his deposed without being there.

These 2 along with the A's and BC are as thick as theives and DC knows something that he does not want to have to tell and he knows that the SA is going to ask and he knows that whether the lies or tells the truth he is in deep doo-doo and might drag the rest of them down with him.

I can't wait for this one. We know that he already lied about his contracts and the dates they started and ended. I don't think the SA is going to accept the lies this time around.

I think JB has gotten himself between another rock and a hard place. He doesn't dare put DC on his witness list because of the can of worms that could open but he wants to be there during the depo. However he can' t if it is an investigative depo - I'm betting he'll suck eggs on this one and let the investigative one go ahead.

I think JB has gotten himself between another rock and a hard place. He doesn't dare put DC on his witness list because of the can of worms that could open but he wants to be there during the depo. However he can' t if it is an investigative depo - I'm betting he'll suck eggs on this one and let the investigative one go ahead.

The funny thing, the very funny thing is now he HAS TO produce a witness list, which he is not in a position to do, so you may be spot on. You could see at the hearing he was flustered and in the oh no mode. First he told the judge he wasn't objecting, then at the end he was saying, I do want to hear it, I do want to be there, like a little boy saying.... but dad..... in a whiny voice.

Judge Strickland ruled the letter not be released to the public so only a few people know what it contained.

When did George claim he hasn't spoke to Dominic in months? I missed that. I do think it's pretty odd considering the Anthony's claim he still works for them hunting down leads for KC's case.

Maybe their relationship cooled after JH told the world in LE interviews and the ZFG deposition, that he thought there was hanky panky between DC and CA....Even if it's not true, GA may have been left with lingering thoughts of his wife sitting outside the Ritz with DC for an hour, the way CA was rubbing DC that JH decribed.
GA would know more than us if something were going on there, if she kept disappearing with DC.

I'm curious about an investigative deposition and what exactly the rules are. I have a feeling it is somewhat secret like the grand jury testimony is. Because I keep hearing "out there" that it has already taken place. If it is like a grand jury investigation for the State, then there would be no need to log it as a deposition with the court. Would there? What does everyone else think? I can't ask RH this question again because last time someone did he replied saying he needed a drink.

I'm curious about an investigative deposition and what exactly the rules are. I have a feeling it is somewhat secret like the grand jury testimony is. Because I keep hearing "out there" that it has already taken place. If it is like a grand jury investigation for the State, then there would be no need to log it as a deposition with the court. Would there? What does everyone else think? I can't ask RH this question again because last time someone did he replied saying he needed a drink.

My understanding is the state can request an investigative interview with anyone and does not have to notify the defense or the court of the interview (and vice versa). It is part of their investigation and may or may not be pertinent to the case. If after the interview the state thinks the testimony will be useful in court, they will add the person to their witness list for the case. Once someone is on a witness list, if either side, prosecution or defense, wants to talk to them it must be done by a deposition, which is filed with the court and the opposing side must be able to attend if they so desire. This is my interpretation of it, so if it is wrong, anyone please correct.

I read this in a Press Release dated March 27, 2009

Florida Association of Private Investigators Deplores Reports of Unlicensed Activity

Florida Licensing Statutes are clear; The Private Investigators who involved themselves in the Anthony case appear to have acted in violation of the regulatory provisions governing the investigative profession as set forth in FSS 493. Public should be aware of Licensing Statutes

++++

Fort Lauderdale, FL, March 26, 2009: While refraining from speculation regarding the Caylee Anthony murder case, the Florida Association of Private Investigators, Inc. (FAPI) is speaking out about the activities of the private investigators allegedly working for the Anthony family and their defense attorney having possibly violated of Florida statutes.

Here is Dom's response he sent :
April 6, 2009
"In response to a scathing press release issued by the co-presidents of FAPI against investigators involved in the Caylee Anthony homicide investigation, Dominic Casey sent Pursuit Magazine the following response:

++++

Mark Feegel and Chuck Chambers,

I was forwarded your/FAPI March 27, 2009 Statement/Press Release. In this Press Release you state that you are refraining from speculation regarding the Caylee Anthony murder case, and the Florida Association of Private Investigators, Inc. (FAPI) “is speaking out”.

You begin by stating: “The Private Investigators who involved themselves in the Anthony case appear to have acted in violation of the regulatory provisions governing the investigative profession . . .” You further state that in Hoovers Deposition, he testified “ . . . “he performed investigative work for both Agencies and unless D&A was subcontracting work to Class Action, or unless Hoover was an employee (not subcontractor) of Class Action and subsequently D&A, Hoover and both agencies allegedly violated the law”.

Also you state “ . . . it is a shame to have this type of embarrassing activity on a high-profile tragedy such as the Caylee Anthony case . . .” Then you abruptly state “The credibility of the private investigator and, indeed, the actual investigation he conducted, may be called into question . . . leading to disastrous results for the client”

Below I have provided extracts of James Hoovers December 18, 2008 Interview with OCSO and FBI, also extracts of James Hoovers March 25, 2009 Deposition. You will note that James Hoover secretly videotaped the Anthony family while at church and without their knowledge, James Hoover states that he was not working for anybody and he intended making money from the photographs or video.

In his deposition, James Hoover stated that he did not become involved in the investigation of the case and that he offered the Family help.

December 18, 2008 James Hoover Interview with OCSO and FBI
Page 2 Line: 1 Q. Okay. And Uh, some of the pictures you have on here uhm, you have some pictures of, of, of uh, George and Cindy inside of the church? . . . page 2 Line: 3 A. Uh, yes sir . . . page 2 Line: 4 Alright, or a video of George and Cindy . . . page 2 Line 5. Yeah (Affirmative) . . . page 2 Line: 6 . . . In a church? . . . page 2 Line: 7 Yeah (Affirmative) I was playing with a camera . . . page 2 Line: 19 Did they know you were video taping them at the time? . . . page 2 Line: 20 Uh, no sir . . . page 2 Line21 Okay. Who, uh, who are you working for . . . page 2 Line: 2 Nobody page 4 Line: 2 Alright what were you going to do with these photographs or this video tape? . . . page 4 Line: 4 I think earlier you said you were going to make some money . . . page 4 Line: 5 Yeah . . .

March 25, 2009 Deposition
page 17 Line 23: Q. How did you become involved in the investigation? A. I . . . page 18 Line 1: . . . didn’t become involved in the investigation of the case . . . page 18 Line 3: Q. I didn’t understand what you said . . . page 18 Line 4: I didn’t become involved in the investigation . . . page 18 Line 5: part of the case . . . page 18 Line 6: Q. What is your involvement In the case? . . . page 18 Line 14: . . . I just thought these people needed help. I’m going to go there and offer these people help as a citizen. I wasn’t the only person that did that, by the way, certainly.

For your information, D&A Investigations, Inc. have worked this Case since July 2008 and continue to do so under a Retainer Agreement with the Anthony Family. James Hoover is not affiliated, employed nor subcontracted by D&A nor has ever been. Furthermore, he never performed any investigations in connection with this Case for D&A or the Anthony Family. James Hoover “offered” to help the Family with security then engaged in unforgivable acts such as, secretly videotaping the Family and myself in an attempt make money. For the record, your allegations directed toward me and my Agency are false, baseless and have injected uninformed opinion’s to the public arena.

Kindest regards,
Dominic Casey, Private Investigator
D&A Investigations, Inc."

What do you make of this?

++++

retainer agreement with the anthony family since july 2008??? no mention of baez!!! great find!

retainer agreement with the anthony family since july 2008??? no mention of baez!!! great find!

Curious as to date when this letter was sent?

Also, didn't we see the actual retainer agreement between DC and the Anthony's in a recent doc dump (but "confidential contingency agreement" page was missing)?

Recall the dates on that document? I certainly don't recall it being from July of 08.....:waitasec:

Curious as to date when this letter was sent?

Also, didn't we see the actual retainer agreement between DC and the Anthony's in a recent doc dump (but "confidential contingency agreement" page was missing)?

Recall the dates on that document? I certainly don't recall it being from July of 08.....:waitasec:

Their press release was in march of 09 and his response was in April 09. I still have NEVER seen the contingency page of the agreement between Dom and mom and pop, which I trust the overseers will find equally offensive.

Please God, make Dominic tell the truth!!!

Can someone help me remember the sequence of how he became involved in this case. There are EXPERIENCED, trusted and respected PI firms all over Florida. Why and how would even Baez bring in to the fold someone who had only had a license for a very few months to look for a missing child. What kind of case could be more important to need experience and expertise in this specific area? Did he approach Baez, or vice/versa? I guess Gram was right, again, .....you get what you pay for.

Does anyone have the video of the visit between Dom and Casey from when brother and he went to visit?lee-anthony-and-dominic-casey1.png

Mort seems to be a pretty sharp guy - at least at his job. Dom is.......well, can you see them having anything in common?:waitasec:

Yikes, Mort's up at Depaul with AL writing university books for people that want to take a defense investigation course.
Hope he knows what he's doing, cause he teaching others to use his methods! :)

Sorry if someone noted this already...
Well, ya also have JB teaching law...so who's to say (lol). But, if he's linked to AL I would imagine he's good at what he does.

I read this in a Press Release dated March 27, 2009

Florida Association of Private Investigators Deplores Reports of Unlicensed Activity

Florida Licensing Statutes are clear; The Private Investigators who involved themselves in the Anthony case appear to have acted in violation of the regulatory provisions governing the investigative profession as set forth in FSS 493. Public should be aware of Licensing Statutes

++++

Fort Lauderdale, FL, March 26, 2009: While refraining from speculation regarding the Caylee Anthony murder case, the Florida Association of Private Investigators, Inc. (FAPI) is speaking out about the activities of the private investigators allegedly working for the Anthony family and their defense attorney having possibly violated of Florida statutes.

Here is Dom's response he sent :
April 6, 2009
"In response to a scathing press release issued by the co-presidents of FAPI against investigators involved in the Caylee Anthony homicide investigation, Dominic Casey sent Pursuit Magazine the following response:

++++

Mark Feegel and Chuck Chambers,

I was forwarded your/FAPI March 27, 2009 Statement/Press Release. In this Press Release you state that you are refraining from speculation regarding the Caylee Anthony murder case, and the Florida Association of Private Investigators, Inc. (FAPI) “is speaking out”.

You begin by stating: “The Private Investigators who involved themselves in the Anthony case appear to have acted in violation of the regulatory provisions governing the investigative profession . . .” You further state that in Hoovers Deposition, he testified “ . . . “he performed investigative work for both Agencies and unless D&A was subcontracting work to Class Action, or unless Hoover was an employee (not subcontractor) of Class Action and subsequently D&A, Hoover and both agencies allegedly violated the law”.

Also you state “ . . . it is a shame to have this type of embarrassing activity on a high-profile tragedy such as the Caylee Anthony case . . .” Then you abruptly state “The credibility of the private investigator and, indeed, the actual investigation he conducted, may be called into question . . . leading to disastrous results for the client”

Below I have provided extracts of James Hoovers December 18, 2008 Interview with OCSO and FBI, also extracts of James Hoovers March 25, 2009 Deposition. You will note that James Hoover secretly videotaped the Anthony family while at church and without their knowledge, James Hoover states that he was not working for anybody and he intended making money from the photographs or video.

In his deposition, James Hoover stated that he did not become involved in the investigation of the case and that he offered the Family help.

December 18, 2008 James Hoover Interview with OCSO and FBI
Page 2 Line: 1 Q. Okay. And Uh, some of the pictures you have on here uhm, you have some pictures of, of, of uh, George and Cindy inside of the church? . . . page 2 Line: 3 A. Uh, yes sir . . . page 2 Line: 4 Alright, or a video of George and Cindy . . . page 2 Line 5. Yeah (Affirmative) . . . page 2 Line: 6 . . . In a church? . . . page 2 Line: 7 Yeah (Affirmative) I was playing with a camera . . . page 2 Line: 19 Did they know you were video taping them at the time? . . . page 2 Line: 20 Uh, no sir . . . page 2 Line21 Okay. Who, uh, who are you working for . . . page 2 Line: 2 Nobody page 4 Line: 2 Alright what were you going to do with these photographs or this video tape? . . . page 4 Line: 4 I think earlier you said you were going to make some money . . . page 4 Line: 5 Yeah . . .

March 25, 2009 Deposition
page 17 Line 23: Q. How did you become involved in the investigation? A. I . . . page 18 Line 1: . . . didn’t become involved in the investigation of the case . . . page 18 Line 3: Q. I didn’t understand what you said . . . page 18 Line 4: I didn’t become involved in the investigation . . . page 18 Line 5: part of the case . . . page 18 Line 6: Q. What is your involvement In the case? . . . page 18 Line 14: . . . I just thought these people needed help. I’m going to go there and offer these people help as a citizen. I wasn’t the only person that did that, by the way, certainly.

For your information, D&A Investigations, Inc. have worked this Case since July 2008 and continue to do so under a Retainer Agreement with the Anthony Family. James Hoover is not affiliated, employed nor subcontracted by D&A nor has ever been. Furthermore, he never performed any investigations in connection with this Case for D&A or the Anthony Family. James Hoover “offered” to help the Family with security then engaged in unforgivable acts such as, secretly videotaping the Family and myself in an attempt make money. For the record, your allegations directed toward me and my Agency are false, baseless and have injected uninformed opinion’s to the public arena.

Kindest regards,

A retainer agreement has nothing to do with attorney/client privelege

I assume Mrs. Drane Burdick returned to her office and issued the investigative subpoena immediately the day of the last hearing. Since those do not get divulged to us, we have no way of knowing if and when Dominick was deposed recently by the state. She is a no nonsense type, so I do not imagine her giving Baez any extra time to add him to his would be witness list he as refused for many months to produce, and I presume she just moved straight ahead.

Do any of our local members know if indeed the talk around town is that this went down already? TIA

If it has, this would explain to me the rare silence coming out of the Anthonys and the defense team, they are reeling.:dance:Casey_and_Dominic_Casey(1).jpg

I had not seen this photo of Casey and Dom before. Maybe there is no need for there to have been a daisy chain, maybe Casey gave the clues to Dom herself!

According to these court documents , judge ruled some time ago that Dom may not avoid questioning by claiming privilege. One simply does not exist. Am I misunderstanding this? IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT IN AND FOR ...
New Motion to Compel Dominic Casey's Appearance at Deposition and Motion for ... regarding State's Request for In-Camera Inspection of Statements by Dominic Casey, ... matters were made to the Court in an effort to avoid being deposed. ...
i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/.../new.motion.to.compel.pdf -

There could still be a "daisy chain" if DC got the info directly from KC and started a little rumor grapevine by talking to city employees, specifically the meter reader supervisor in the Anthony neighborhood.

IIRC, there are pics of DC with LA around the end of July, so we know they had opportunity to talk perhaps. It would have had to have been during this time period if the RK set up for August would fly. KC may have been convinced that finding Caylee's body while she was in jail would somehow make her look innocent and her kidnapping story true. Her main goal at that point was getting out of jail and back to her life.

Just catching up on this thread. Earlier DC said he had a contract with JB until October, and then a contract with the Anthonys.

If he's been under a retainer agreement with the Anthony family since July 2008, and there wasn't a separate contract with JB, does this mean that nothing he has could be considered privileged information?

Just catching up on this thread. Earlier DC said he had a contract with JB until October, and then a contract with the Anthonys.

If he's been under a retainer agreement with the Anthony family since July 2008, and there wasn't a separate contract with JB, does this mean that nothing he has could be considered privileged information?

I'd imagine the attorney-privilege one would circumvent or supersede the one with the Anthonys - that anything existing in the bubble of simultaneity would be protected, but that's just a guess.

Maybe I am misreading this, but at the recent hearing wasn't Baez rolling his eyes with Andrea and Casey when Dominick's attorney was talking? I have always thought that it would be a disaster in the jury's mind to think that while Dominic was in the woods , twenty feet from where the baby's little bones were discovered, searching so determined, near pavers to boot,.....that he was under contract with Casey and or the defense at that time. That is a nightmare for the defense.

I think I saw Baez doing this at the section where she was basically saying, look it isn't up to poor little Dom, who holds the key to releasing his confidentiality agreement is mom pop, and Casey sitting right here, and Baez turned to Andrea like WTH?!!!!

Did any of you see that and think that Baez disagreed with her? He is well aware the cameras are on him at all times, so I do not think it was by mistake.

Snipped from Dominic's response to the FAPI's statement.

"For your information, D&A Investigations, Inc. have worked this Case since July 2008 and continue to do so under a Retainer Agreement with the Anthony Family. James Hoover is not affiliated, employed nor subcontracted by D&A nor has ever been. Furthermore, he never performed any investigations in connection with this Case for D&A or the Anthony Family. James Hoover “offered” to help the Family with security then engaged in unforgivable acts such as, secretly videotaping the Family and myself in an attempt make money. For the record, your allegations directed toward me and my Agency are false, baseless and have injected uninformed opinion’s to the public arena."

Kindest regards,

James H. accompanied Dominic to the woods off of Suburban Dr. and videotaped the search (not a secret videotaping either, IMO). How can Dominic claim that JH was not acting as a PI/Investigator that worked along side him in this case ? Searching those woods together shows a pretty close working relationship, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288