WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
If duck hunters are required to pick up all of their shell casings, Del Rio was not a very good duck hunter, considering he left shell casings, a bag, AND a blow up mattress. Just an observation.

He's not on trial here. Besides, what he left behind could have collected evidence from the suspect(s) when dropping the body off which may be the only thing that solves this murder. In which case, I would be extremely happy he "littered".

Also in his defense, he had every intention when he left the duck blind to return for more hunting that same day. It turned out he never did and hunting season was over.

Yes, IIRC the incident with Mac was prosecuted, but the restraining order was not granted because of non-appearance. You can also look up his name on the WW search to bring up the news of record that details all of the charges and sentence.

This guy has got a criminal record a mile long!!

MOO is the boat launch question from LE was not based on a registration from a phone. I suspect it was based on PUD footage from a camera. A cell phone next to water in a valley... definitely not from the ping. As a former investigator I will GUARANTEE there is a ton of data not being released.

Hmmm, that brings up so many more questions/idea's. I assumed that her cell phone use was their reason for stating the launch that was her last known location. Maybe not though.

They must have something good on camera or it would be in the media like the one from the hair acadamy

....As a former investigator I will GUARANTEE there is a ton of data not being released.

respectfully snipped

IMHO I agree

Another quick thought that passed through my sleep deprived mind..what if LE wanted the article (minus the cause of death) written to stir up the witnesses..?

MOO is LE is closer than we think.

Hmmm, that brings up so many more questions/idea's. I assumed that her cell phone use was their reason for stating the launch that was her last known location. Maybe not though.

They must have something good on camera or it would be in the media like the one from the hair acadamy

Quotes:

“Information that came back last week placed Cowell’s phone near the boat launch at Riverfront Park near the foot of Fifth Street. An incoming and an outgoing text message, placed about 3:40 p.m. Feb. 9, were the last activities on her cell phone.”

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/mar/02/cowell-investigators-await-more-cell-records/?online

“We’re looking at all the tapes that are available to us,” Jones said. “Those are key investigative tools.”
That does not include most of the state Department of Transportation cameras set up on highways to show travel conditions, because those cameras do not produce a tape, he said.
“Most of them are point-in-time, and they aren’t hooked to an actual recorder,” he said. The same is true of some of the Chelan County PUD cameras.”

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/19/suspicious-complaints-up-as-homicide/?online

I'll probably get in trouble for this, and maybe I'm just irritated because I did this for a living... regardless

IMO the crescent bar property is the key!!! That is not a random spot! There is obviosly intimate kowledge of that property. In the Wenatchee Valley there are hundreds of mountain roads, lakes etc. The spot where the body was placed was known to the killer. As an investigator I start there! Who knows that property? Who Duck hunts on the Columbia?

Pitcher Canyon, dont care- just a car dump, spec houses? maybe..

Why would someone pick that spot... they knew it was there! They obviously did not think it would be discovered that quick.

The killer was someone that knew the CB area well and ditched the car in a random place. I'm frustrated because this is so obvious.

There may be nothing to what I think I see in the WW photos, but here goes. Look at the pictures from MC's dance group practicing. All but two hands have the index finger pointed straight up. The other two appear to be pointing at each other. Also, look at the memorial, some members of her dance group are noticeable shaken, eyes sunken in sorrow, while others appear to be unaffected, almost jubilent. Body language during the dance is even more exaggerated for them and again, one of them appears to be pointing to someone in the audience. Is any of this significant? I don't know, but it appears out of place if nothing else.

respectully snipped by me

I had a long drive today and my thinking was going in this direction. I haven't even watched that part of the video, but did see the pic of mom and odd look shared with one of them. Do you all remember the case of themom of the cheerleader?

Anyway, my gut says this murder involved jealousy and rage. I agree with the posters that think the bag was to conceal MC face while they did it.

Lastly, I don't think she was stabbed then strangled. Without being graphic, I would think that was too messy. I agree it was blunt force, then strangulation, followed by stabbing.

I'll probably get in trouble for this, and maybe I'm just irritated because I did this for a living... regardless

IMO the crescent bar property is the key!!! That is not a random spot! There is obviosly intimate kowledge of that property. In the Wenatchee Valley there are hundreds of mountain roads, lakes etc. The spot where the body was placed was known to the killer. As an investigator I start there! Who knows that property? Who Duck hunts on the Columbia?

Pitcher Canyon, dont care- just a car dump, spec houses? maybe..

Why would someone pick that spot... they knew it was there! They obviously did not think it would be discovered that quick.

The killer was someone that knew the CB area well and ditched the car in a random place. I'm frustrated because this is so obvious.

I totally agree. I've always thought it was the key too.

MOO is the boat launch question from LE was not based on a registration from a phone. I suspect it was based on PUD footage from a camera. A cell phone next to water in a valley... definitely not from the ping. As a former investigator I will GUARANTEE there is a ton of data not being released.

I was wondering the same thing, Dogdad. How could they distinguish by "registration" between the Orondo Boat Launch and the parking lot at Gold's Gym unless there was camera footage? I agree with you that there's lots of information that is clearly privileged at this time.

i would question the guy who saw brodie marks to the press. i bet he saw someone there that week.

I think so too. I never understood how a registration ping could pinpoint her so specifically, isn't the range much wider? And with the gym right there unless they had footage how would they know she was at the boat launch specifically?

Makes me wonder though why they want eyewitness sightings? Maybe her and her guest never exited the car at all and the cams couldn't pick it up, or maybe they want a witness to an argument or something.

best guess? the video is to far away for positive ID

You simply could not pinpoint that spot exclusively. There had to be footage. I've been in that video room and the cameras are high and the definition broad. LE was looking for help IMO

This guy has got a criminal record a mile long!!

I know, VDD was definitely discussed and explored early on. VDD's being in jail at the time of MC's disappearance has bumped him off the radar for many. Understandably.

On the contrary, a pretty good profile/scenario for JF has been developed over several threads.

At the end of the day, WS has developed a couple (if not a few) potential POI(s).

We just have very few FACTS, in order to connect the dots. I think there have been many astute observations and developments through collaboration, for sure!

I was wondering the same thing, Dogdad. How could they distinguish by "registration" between the Orondo Boat Launch and the parking lot at Gold's Gym unless there was camera footage? I agree with you that there's lots of information that is clearly privileged at this time.

why can't they release footage of the boat launch? they did with her going to her car.

one other thought to ponder... I had a long career with Verizon Wireless (including many former corporate names). The majority of my career was providing LE support and testifying as an expet witness regarding wireless triangulation. The "pings" everyone refers to were called registrations. It is how a phone communicates with the network so the network knows where to send an incoming call. Registration times can vary depending on the location. For arguments sake lets just say that the Wenatchee Valley is on a 4 minute cycle. Every 4 minutes a phone that is powered on will send out a registration recieved by the nearest site. That site records the "ping" in case an inbound call arrives. That is retrievable but certainly not easy, and takes some data manipulation by the carrier (at least it wasnt 10 years ago).

Still with me?

Registrations or pings for MC's phone and possible suspects are more than likely already in the hands of LE. The problem is that evidence is circumstantial... It IS NOT gps and there are many variables involved. LE would not release any of that data untill trial unless it could help drive tips.

Ok, three things.

1. If phone was on edge of town, Sunnyslope neighborhood, I would guess less cell towers, but not at isolated as say CB. What's your guess on location distance using ping triangulation in neighborhood at edge of town?

2. As I've heard the last ping, 5:42 pm, one described, it was an on/off ping. Could you explain that a little. Is there some special ping when you turn a cell phone off? As opposed to just driving out of service area?

3. What do you think of the possibility that the last ping was caused when the suspect drove back into cell service and heard MC's phone acknowledge that it was in a service coverage area again, (usually they make some noise, right?) and immediately turned it off?

Thanks for your insight in all this!

why can't they release footage of the boat launch? they did with her going to her car.

Possible that the POI is in the film and recognizable enough to where they don't want the public all over it?

But then if the POI is visible, why recruit tips? Confusing.

I don't think they have footage. I think they are basing it on the phone ping and maybe a witness seeing her car. JMO

I wonder if they have video of her using her phone at the boat launch. Why are we sure the "hey" messages took place there? Also, did the "tip" about dive teams there turn out to be bogus? I would think if they have ample video there they would only dive if they SAW something go in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member