Suspect #1: Dellen Millard *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 15 May 2013 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the letter... Anyone else think that the so called "fan" could be a reporter trying to dig up info? Makes sense if she was into mag tots as well jmo

LOL mag tots?!:floorlaugh: I guess it is possible that it's a reporter, but I read an article a while back about women who become obsessed with people like Magnotta....creepy IMO. Crimes like this bring all kinds of people out of the woodwork. JMO MOO

Quebec psychologist Pierre Faubert said it’s not unusual for some people, especially women, to create fantasies about a person like Magnotta as a way to escape their mundane reality. Often, these fans have obsessive-compulsive personalities, he said. Others are drawn by a desire to rub shoulders with dangerous criminals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07/09/luka-rocco-magnotta-fans-facebook-blog_n_1658533.html

I agree with swedie. :skip:

She may not have a lot of crime reporting under her belt but she has experience and enough that I would call her a freelance journalist not just a blogger. And I'm trying to be fair because in truth her articles lean a certain way so I am not sure that is straight reporting and therefore I have my reservations about her position. She has however been good for us sleuths IMO.

I believe she did say she was freelance in one of the FB groups and she did sell that one article to NP. Most of her reporting/journalist work seems to be from 15 years ago and longer, and a lot of that was for Business columns. So far in this case, to me, she seems to write very one-sided, Nancy Grace type without as much of the drama. Like she's only interested in the gossipy part of the story. Not really the kind of reporting that I usually put much faith in, but we'll see what she comes up with.

JMO

I believe she did say she was freelance in one of the FB groups and she did sell that one article to NP. Most of her reporting/journalist work seems to be from 15 years ago and longer, and a lot of that was for Business columns. So far in this case, to me, she seems to write very one-sided, Nancy Grace type without as much of the drama. Like she's only interested in the gossipy part of the story. Not really the kind of reporting that I usually put much faith in, but we'll see what she comes up with.

JMO
BBM
You summed up my "reservations". I think she is taking the story to where she thinks it ought to go, which can be dangerous when the public is still looking for the truth.

It reminds me of a few others from Toronto who are popular but polarizing that way. It is witch-hunty.

I guess it is possible that it's a reporter, but I read an article a while back about women who become obsessed with people like Magnotta....creepy IMO. Crimes like this bring all kinds of people out of the woodwork. JMO MOO

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07/09/luka-rocco-magnotta-fans-facebook-blog_n_1658533.html

I'm a relatively new member-mostly a "lurker"- and thoroughly enjoy reading the amazing sleuthing on this forum. I totally agree with the cautious messages about the alleged "jailhouse letter" found on Facebook. IMVHO This article reminds me is something that happened during the Paul Bernardo trial. On the day of conviction, my father was a police officer working on crowd control. He came home, noticeably distressed at having to hold back a crowd of "swooning" young women.
Distressing, but remnant of Magnotta (aka Mag tots LOL) IMO MOO

In this same vein, if the letter is found to be real, it holds an obvious bias: boy trying to impress girl. MOO

BBM
You summed up my "reservations". I think she is taking the story to where she thinks it ought to go, which can be dangerous when the public is still looking for the truth.

It reminds me of a few others from Toronto who are popular but polarizing that way. It is witch-hunty.
Not to mention, when a publication ban is in place it is easy for reporters/bloggers/sleuths to look to any lead, detail or shred of information that might shed some light on the accused personality, state of mind, general habits etc. We humans are a curious bunch and some are more curious than others. I am sure that AB is a great reporter who has done some credible work in the areas of business reporting and corporate sponsored TV listings guides, but that said with regards to this case I do find the posts to be one sided, lacking in credible sources (quoting a past LE after the fact, who now works in the private sector comes off as a plug for his new busiess) doesn't constitute MSM reporting to me. I've read posts on this forum that are as well researched and written as that blog. MOO

JMO

Although it does seem AB's articles are a little one-sided, I also think she is delving into stories other MSM haven't (eg: WW)

I take the "jailhouse letter" with a grain of salt, and I haven't let it change my way of thinking one way or the other. Even if the letter does become verified as being from DM, there isn't much information in it, except for the fact he claims to be innocent - which is obviously what most would expect him to say anyway. MOO

I did find her research into WW interesting, as a theory was beginning to develop in regards to him being a possible (unknown) member of the Millard family tree. Although WW has never been formally acknowledged by MSM, I do believe AB researched it as thoroughly as she possibly could, but came up with no familial links to WM or DM. I realize any posts on AB's "blog" page have to be taken with a grain of salt, but with the publication ban in place, there is only so much sleuthing to be done (especially since no new stories have been published since MB sold the Etobicoke home). MOO

I also appreciate the fact AB tried to get to the bottom of the LB missing person investigation by TPS. Even if DM wasn't involved, it seems TPS didn't really follow through on the leads that may have helped LB's family/friends figure out what may have happened to her. Now that she has been missing for over a year, it is hard to follow up on any of the old leads they had (e.g. SL's IPad). MOO

Anyway, this is all MOO, IMHO, etc., etc.:moo:

Although it does seem AB's articles are a little one-sided, I also think she is delving into stories other MSM haven't (eg: WW)

I take the "jailhouse letter" with a grain of salt, and I haven't let it change my way of thinking one way or the other. Even if the letter does become verified as being from DM, there isn't much information in it, except for the fact he claims to be innocent - which is obviously what most would expect him to say anyway. MOO

I did find her research into WW interesting, as a theory was beginning to develop in regards to him being a possible (unknown) member of the Millard family tree. Although WW has never been formally acknowledged by MSM, I do believe AB researched it as thoroughly as she possibly could, but came up with no familial links to WM or DM. I realize any posts on AB's "blog" page have to be taken with a grain of salt, but with the publication ban in place, there is only so much sleuthing to be done (especially since no new stories have been published since MB sold the Etobicoke home). MOO

I also appreciate the fact AB tried to get to the bottom of the LB missing person investigation by TPS. Even if DM wasn't involved, it seems TPS didn't really follow through on the leads that may have helped LB's family/friends figure out what may have happened to her. Now that she has been missing for over a year, it is hard to follow up on any of the old leads they had (e.g. SL's IPad). MOO

Anyway, this is all MOO, IMHO, etc., etc.:moo:

In agreement with your opinions on the jail house letter Dizzy. There is really nothing at this time to prove or disprove its authenticity and there is nothing in it which IMO would affect the PB. AB herself is trying to determine if it is real, so with that she is not providing false information, but what she has discovered in regards to her investigation concerning this supposed DM letter.

Stepping on ants... Jodi A claimed she couldn't kill a fly and then turns around and announces she kicked her dog in her younger years not to mention brutally murdering TA. To me these are just phrases murders will use to make themselves seem more sympathetic or concerned for living things, be it insects, animals or human beings. Bit OT but Jeffery D in his young life nursed animals/birds to health, but later began killing animals and dissecting them. Research has shown there is a connection between some serial killers and animal cruelty...L Magnotta... another animal/human killer... Although DM's parents were animal rights and activist, maybe DM was the opposite... He did have dogs growing up/or at least his parents did, IIRC but who knows how he felt about other animals. Just thinking. And what's with the need for the incinerator? :waitasec: JMHO.

I really do not not see any significance to AB's supposed jailhouse letter, if it is authentic it offers no new insight into the case, it just reiterates the one thing that he has said all along, that he is innocent. To pick apart the word choices and syntax again, like was done with the obituary ad nauseum, in my opinion is just an exercise in futility. Can you imagine if tomorrow everyone decided to judge you and your entire life and critical events by dissecting the last few things you wrote? If it authentic, it shows that he is a human who gets lonely and bored and is probably just happy to know that there are people believe who him.

And if it is a phoney, it shows that there are some pretty sad people out there who would do anything for attention and a feeling of being needed and appreciated. In my opinion, if someone was going to fabricate a fake letter, I think that that would have spiced it up a little or made it sound incriminating or crazy, and not so mundane.

As for AB and whether or not she is a trusted news source, the only thing I know of her is from people mentioning her tweets here previously. Wasn't she the one who claimed WM had an illegitimate child before deciding they weren't related? And isn't she the one who possibly slandered one of the innocent people in this case by saying that WM was also an alcoholic? Did either one of those suspicions turn out to be verified by more than one source, does anyone remember?

I don't personally trust MSM as a verified source these days, there are too many examples of stories that are 'evolving' and being 'updated' constantly, but really they are not checking their sources first and sometimes correcting them quietly when their errors are pointed out. So trusting someone's blog just because she has been previously published in a newspaper is like saying I'm a writer because I had a poem published in The Star in grade school.

In agreement with your opinions on the jail house letter Dizzy. There is really nothing at this time to prove or disprove its authenticity and there is nothing in it which IMO would affect the PB. AB herself is trying to determine if it is real, so with that she is not providing false information, but what she has discovered in regards to her investigation concerning this supposed DM letter.

Stepping on ants... Jodi A claimed she couldn't kill a fly and then turns around and announces she kicked her dog in her younger years not to mention brutally murdering TA. To me these are just phrases murders will use to make themselves seem more sympathetic or concerned for living things, be it insects, animals or human beings. Bit OT but Jeffery D in his young life nursed animals/birds to health, but later began killing animals and dissecting them. Research has shown there is a connection between some serial killers and animal cruelty...L Magnotta... another animal/human killer... Although DM's parents were animal rights and activist, maybe DM was the opposite... He did have dogs growing up/or at least his parents did, IIRC but who knows how he felt about other animals. Just thinking. And what's with the need for the incinerator? :waitasec: JMHO.

Regardless of the legitimacy of the jailhouse letter, if you ask me, the whole "stepping on ants" question is utterly baffling. AB quotes VA, an experienced profiler's opinion that "In almost 800 murder cases, that (type of) phrase is generally only used by somebody that has involvement,” he said. “We refer to it as ‘words of confession framed in a form of denial.’ It more than lifts one of my eyebrows.” Yet regardless of a person's religious affiliations, anyone with even a passing intellectual interest in Buddhist philosophy knows that a caution about stepping on ants is a basic tenet of that system beliefs, having to do with concepts of reincarnation and the sanctity of all life forms, I suppose. Anyway, given that this is so very well known, it seems a puzzling interpretation of the comment from a profiler, whoever may have written the letter. MOO. IMHO.

As to DM's critters, I seem to recall that it was reported somewhere that he had oodles of them. Can't remember where I saw that posted. Will try to find the link.

Regardless of the legitimacy of the jailhouse letter, if you ask me, the whole "stepping on ants" question is utterly baffling. AB quotes VA, an experienced profiler's opinion that "In almost 800 murder cases, that (type of) phrase is generally only used by somebody that has involvement,” he said. “We refer to it as ‘words of confession framed in a form of denial.’ It more than lifts one of my eyebrows.” Yet regardless of a person's religious affiliations, anyone with even a passing intellectual interest in Buddhist philosophy knows that a caution about stepping on ants is a basic tenet of that system beliefs, having to do with concepts of reincarnation and the sanctity of all life forms, I suppose. Anyway, given that this is so very well known, it seems a puzzling interpretation of the comment from a profiler, whoever may have written the letter. MOO. IMHO.

As to DM's critters, I seem to recall that it was reported somewhere that he had oodles of them. Can't remember where I saw that posted. Will try to find the link.

Actually, it wasn't oodles, it was a "bevy" of cats and dogs. Who they actually belonged to isn't mentioned in the article - third para from the bottom. There was also the large aquarium we've seen in photographs of the interior, which presumably contained creatures of some sort.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2..._mother_sells_family_home_for_12_million.html

(Incidentally, the incinerator thing remains puzzling too, but in reference to stepping on ants I'd say there's a distinct difference between cremating something already dead and killing a living thing.)

I have a feeling that the 800 people the profiler interviewed were already convicted of crimes before they were interviewed for his study, otherwise, why would he be interviewing normal, non suspect people about their ant stepping habits, that would explain the high percentage of involvement in my opinion.

Actually, it wasn't oodles, it was a "bevy" of cats and dogs. Who they actually belonged to isn't mentioned in the article - third para from the bottom. There was also the large aquarium we've seen in photographs of the interior, which presumably contained creatures of some sort.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2..._mother_sells_family_home_for_12_million.html

(Incidentally, the incinerator thing remains puzzling too, but in reference to stepping on ants I'd say there's a distinct difference between cremating something already dead and killing a living thing.)

Even if someone doesn't like stepping on ants, if their house had lots of them, they probably wouldn't hesitate to call in an exterminator. I could never hurt a cow, but I love a nice steak. It's different when someone else does the dirty work. That's probably why he took MS along for the test drive IMO.

"I only started to suspect there might be more to the story when a concerted effort was made to get me to drop my very preliminary research into the letter. After all, why even bother if it’s a fake?" http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2013/07/the-dellen-millard-jailhouse-letter-part-ii.html
She lost me at the "concerted effort" part. Without naming who was stopping her investigation into the letter I was left with the feeling that this was some amateur segment of "48 hrs".

Thanks JPC, I didnt even realize there was a part ii. Is this "the full article"?

I wonder if the co-workers are the same ones that reported DMs tardiness for work at his hangar. Maybe the ones that were let go. Better yet, maybe the ones that werent let go but are resuming "business as usual" for deliveries to the hangar since after the arrest. I wonder if thats where AB found them? Why not press for more of this relationship with DM? In fact I read it as though this controlling way was reported earlier, but it was not, IMO, by any MSM (was it?). I wish she would question that characterization, perhaps ask these informants for an example of things he would say so kindly to be controlling? In a workplace isnt it called manners? From a boss, isnt it respect? An example of how he may have steered them wrong with such a tone, would be helpful to the public. Because once again the opinion of faceless people in MSM is not helpful. I would love to know who these people are. Has AB really vetted them or is she just relieved to find someone, anyone who is willing to talk in such a quiet case? Even AS could not speak to DMs character, he never had to deal with him until November (per NPost article) so all he had was an impression, yet his impression was accepted by many as something very important. MOO.

The trouble I'm having is how can he be both a childish, "marginalized" man-boy and a controlling mastermind manipulator? IMO it has to be one or he other (or neither), but not both.

"I only started to suspect there might be more to the story when a concerted effort was made to get me to drop my very preliminary research into the letter. After all, why even bother if it’s a fake?" http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2013/07/the-dellen-millard-jailhouse-letter-part-ii.html
She lost me at the "concerted effort" part. Without naming who was stopping her investigation into the letter I was left with the feeling that this was some amateur segment of "48 hrs".

It was typical FB drama. Why wouldn't an effort be made to get her to drop the subject? The recipient either got caught leaking a letter from an accused murderer that she had written to, or she got caught faking one. I'm not sure why that would make it more true, or a bigger story, or a story at all for that matter. Of course, people are curious. But it does nothing to prove or disprove anything at all.

JMO

Thanks JPC, I didnt even realize there was a part ii. Is this "the full article"?

I wonder if the co-workers are the same ones that reported DMs tardiness for work at his hangar. Maybe the ones that were let go. Better yet, maybe the ones that werent let go but are resuming "business as usual" for deliveries to the hangar since after the arrest. I wonder if thats where AB found them? Why not press for more of this relationship with DM? In fact I read it as though this controlling way was reported earlier, but it was not, IMO, by any MSM (was it?). I wish she would question that characterization, perhaps ask these informants for an example of things he would say so kindly to be controlling? In a workplace isnt it called manners? From a boss, isnt it respect? An example of how he may have steered them wrong with such a tone, would be helpful to the public. Because once again the opinion of faceless people in MSM is not helpful. I would love to know who these people are. Has AB really vetted them or is she just relieved to find someone, anyone who is willing to talk in such a quiet case? Even AS could not speak to DMs character, he never had to deal with him until November (per NPost article) so all he had was an impression, yet his impression was accepted by many as something very important. MOO.

The trouble I'm having is how can he be both a childish, "marginalized" man-boy and a controlling mastermind manipulator? IMO it has to be one or he other (or neither), but not both.

IMOO this article I have referred to often, is probably one of the best articles to date which sheds crucial light on this case.

Snoof, to answer your question; have you ever heard of children who manipulate their parents, to get what they want? Well IMHO that was DM. Now he is an adult instead of a child who not only manipulated his parent(s) but others. Really it's not uncommon. HTH.

From the article Mr. Sharif was brought on board by 2012. That could have been anytime between January through until November, obviously before WM died. IMHO AS more than likely sought AS out prior to or shortly after construction of the hangar. WM and AS may have been long time friends for all we know. Either way, I don't believe WM blindly decided to build the hangar without seeking out advice as to whether it was going to get off the ground. After all, he was trying to secure a future for DM. He could have secured a future other in less effortless (investments ect.) ways but I honestly believe WM felt if he hired the right people, there really would be no real work for DM to do. He could just sit back and live the good life while others did all the work.

The article does not specify how long AS was known to WM nor DM. IMO I have doubts AS just met DM in November. AS states November is when everything came to a head in regards to DM's lack of cooperation clearing his toys from the hangar. AS wanted to bring people through the hangar for tours to drum up and get business going. IMHO it is very unprofessional to bring your toys to work to play where professional business is to be conducted. For all we know, AS could have brought people through, but they refused to do business in that sort of a setting. A hobby auto body shop/chop shop. Hence, everything coming to a head.

It was not only AS's impression/opinion, it was other executives at the company who had dealings with DM. We have no idea how much time any of these people spent in the presence of DM or WM, or what WM may have told these people about his son DM, so therefore we are only left with assumptions. Although it's been mentioned how private the Millard family was, that could mean to do with their family life, not business. Nor do we know how many discussions/argument broke out in the presences of employee, or with employees regarding DM or WM and DM. My assumption from reading that article is just as AS claimed, “I thought he was just a spoilt little brat who had his way all his life and didn’t appreciate what his father was doing for him”

Al Sharif was happy to have only limited contact with Dellen Millard, the boss’s son and the guy in charge of hangar construction. As far as Mr. Sharif and other executives at the company were concerned, Dellen and his red mohawk spelled trouble.

By 2012, Wayne had hired a team of Canadian aviation veterans, brought in Mr. Sharif to drum up international business, and signed a 50-year lease for the land on which the 50,000 square foot hangar now stands. Millardair won the support of the local airport authority and convinced the Waterloo regional council to invest in runway improvements to accommodate larger jets. When things went over budget, bank loans provided funding for the tools and staff needed to obtain key Transport Canada certification, which came through on November 1, 2012, just before Wayne’s death.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...bosma-murder-suspect-started-to-dismantle-it/

In his role as a business development consultant to Millardair's new Waterloo airport venture, Al Sharif was happy to have only limited contact with Dellen Millard, the boss's son and the guy in charge of hangar construction.

So when I say they didnt have dealings before, it's because they never had to. AS probably did most of this work on the phone and on the road and didnt need to be at the hangar. So what I am saying is he is giving us his impression and a lot is being read into DM's character from AS' impression. The real estate agent met DM several times and had completely different things to say about his character in that business deal, so why not quote him more often?

Also, WM did not ask for or need the Region to make a runway. Millardair has no business building runways at the airport.

So far as it being unprofessional to bring toys to work, I understand his grandfather may have done the same, being a collector of cars. AB's article also contains a pilot's quote that "by 1990, it wasn't much of a business and was more of a hobby for Carl". DM was 5 in 1990. This is the business environment DM was raised in. They taught him how to fly planes and helicopters. So maybe this is what he understood to be a part of business ownership.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...bosma-murder-suspect-started-to-dismantle-it/

I would love to stick around and debate more points but I have to go. :wave:

Maybe we should move the properties posts over to the properties thread...

:seeya: Bessie, Coldpizza, help please. :tyou:

Maybe we should move the properties posts over to the properties thread...

:seeya: Bessie, Coldpizza, help please. :tyou:

Ty,they have been moved:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210691"]Millard Properties: Locations and Ownership - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie