MO - Grief and protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have enough information.
With what little I do think I understand, the dead teen strong arm robbed a connivence store ...when he was confronted by law enforcement he resisted. He was uncooperative. Things got out of hand and he was shot and killed.

This officer allegedly has a perfect record....weighing that against a thief with like behavior. I have a VERY hard time believing his hands were in the air as requested by LE after an intended stroll to grandmas house.

Where did you get that it happened two hours before? It happened at 11:52

Sorry misread the tweet...

Brett A. Blume ‏@brettblumekmox 4m

These surveillance images were taken at a convenience store 10 min
Before #MichaelBrown was shot Sat

still doesn't mean a surrendering Mike Brown should have been executed instead of arrested...SMH

The reason the community is upset, IMHO, is because they believe they themselves have been wronged all their lives both by cops and the social system in the US, etc. And to a large extent they are right and those beliefs have merit. Then along comes a flashpoint that causes them to express their anger over how they have been treated, and their families have been treated now and historically.

Almost none of them knew Michael Brown. They are upset about their own experiences with injustice. Finding out this, now, that Michael Brown isn't who they thought only makes this worse. Because now they've been protesting for days over something that wasn't what they thought. It's now worse for many of them - because now they're denied their justifiable rage. IMHO. I don't think a bit of good in the world would have come out by LE outing MB when the passions were at their highest.

And my guess is, now Swisher Sweets will be the new skittles and it will be said he was killed for a box of cigars. Which isn't the case, but the truth sometimes has no bearing at all on beliefs and behaviors.

It does not matter if MB is outed as not having been a saint. None of us are.

If their "beliefs have merit", then those beliefs along with how they have been treated historically and now, as you put it, is justification enough for the anger and protesting. MBs lack of saintliness should have no bearing on justifiable concerns that have still not been addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are people that deserve the truth. You want to upset people? Treat them like you think they are stupid or incapable of handling it.

These people all deserved the truth from the beginning. If so there would be one phase to this upsetness.

Now we have the issue that was not factual from the beginning and then today new facts that make it clear there has been lies and cover up.

They deserve their feelings and to protest about them. They deserve to have real answers.

Sometimes mobs can't handle the truth. There is a reason not everybody tells every single truth they know. Because some of it is unnecessarily disrespectful and hurtful.

If their "beliefs have merit", then those beliefs along with how they have been treated historically and now, as you put it, is justification enough for the anger and protesting. MBs lack of saintliness should have no bearing on justifiable concerns that have still not been addressed.

Just wanted to add - at worst, the community may be "guilty" of giving a dead young man the benefit of the doubt. There's no shame in that.

Sometimes mobs can't handle the truth. There is a reason not everybody tells every single truth they know. Because some of it is unnecessarily disrespectful and hurtful.

They weren't "mobs" the day this happened. They became that thinking this guy was gunned down without cause in the street.
The facts would have given them the information ASAP and settled it down.

The truth is the truth. You don't hide and lie and cover. It just just not the way it is done.

So far as I have read, the only witness who says there was an assault of the officer IS the officer involved in the shooting. Other witnesses said there was a tussle.........not a fight............and that it appeared that the officer was pulling Brown in toward the car and Brown was trying to pull himself away. No one saw Brown IN the car and no one saw a gun until the officer exited the car (after firing through the window) and continued to fire as Brown ran away, and after Brown turned around with hands up and was facing the officer. JMO

Just wanted to add - at worst, the community may be "guilty" of giving a dead young man the benefit of the doubt. There's no shame in that.

At worst, the community is guilty of burning down a QT and shooting a woman in the head. At best, all sides of the community can be credited with giving a deceased young man the dignity of the benefit of the doubt, and that includes LE spokespersons.

No, they really don't explain the situation. DJ lying after the fact has no bearing whatsoever on how LE handled the confrontation with MB. MB being possibly involved in a robbery of smokes earlier without using a weapon also does not explain why an officer shot and killed him.

Are our LE in the US stupid? Overly aggressive? Not trained in de-escalation? Thuggish? Have a problem with racism? These questions need to be answered. It happens TOO often. There is no reason for anyone to end up dead during an arrest if they are unarmed and not threatening deadly force against the officer or a bystander. Some LE are somehow able to take down even violent, armed perps without anyone ending up dead. There was no reason, no explanation for why MB ended up murdered.

BBM
First of all, MB did use a 'weapon,'---his size and strength. He physically intimidated and overpowered that poor clerk.
2nd, we don't know what happened in the interaction between the cop and the deceased. And we cannot rely upon the witnesses because we see that there has been some mistruths thrown in.
3rd, we have not yet heard the cop's explanation. Maybe we should wait and listen to it. Instead of jumping to the conclusion that he is a coldblooded, racist killer. jmo

I am no saint.
But I don't go around robbing honest hardworking people just trying to make a living.
I am Not a thief,
I have never intimidated or otherwise threatened or used force to take something that was not mine.

I have very little sympathy.

As this point, I am reserving it for the officer that felt forced to defend himself.

IMO

IMHO, police cannot always come straight out with "all of the information" right at the beginning. If they did come right out and say that he performed a strong-armed robbery right before this incident, and then they reviewed the surveillance tape and found that it was not the same person, they would have egg on their face and they would be accused of conspiracy. Sometimes, investigations just take a little bit of time. They cannot and should not throw everything out to the public immediately. JMHO

I am no saint.
But I don't go around robbing honest hardworking people just trying to make a living.
I am Not a thief,
I have never intimidated or otherwise threatened or used force to take something that was not mine.

I have very little sympathy.

As this point, I am reserving it for the officer that felt forced to defend himself.

IMO

Really? No sympathy? He paid the ultimate price. He's dead.

The officer on the other hand, still has his life. And pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member