Cindy's Attempts to Contact "Zanny"? *revisit*

AZlawyer

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
Are you guys bored? Because you seem bored... :angel:

Here's something to think about:

We all know that Cindy claimed (during the ZFG civil deposition, I believe) that she had phone number(s) and address(es) for Zanny and that she handed them over to the police (and if there's a number, there must be a Zanny, right?). The police report from early in the case states that Cindy did give them a piece of paper with the address for JP/Ricardo/Amy on it. IIRC, the police report said this piece of paper was found in the car, but IMO the police likely got confused when Cindy was handing over all (or most of) the things she found in the car (cleaned-up knife, "Mama" doll, etc.) and also handed over the piece of paper with "Zanny"'s address at the same time.

I keep seeing people on other boards asking, "Why didn't Cindy try to call Zanny, if she had her number?" I think Cindy did try to call Zanny and/or her equally imaginary associates, at least 3 times.

First, on June 25, at 6:13 pm, Cindy called JP's number (407-***-1759). At the time, Cindy supposedly thought KC was staying at the hospital with "Zanny," who had a concussion from the "car accident" and Caylee was staying at a hotel with "Juliet" and her daughter "Annabelle." Cindy said in her FBI interview that Lee had discovered that a number KC gave Cindy as being "Juliet's mom"'s number was really JP's number--but she failed to mention to the FBI that she had actually called the number back on June 25 and therefore probably knew or suspected it was a fake number long before Lee started his little private investigation. (Unless, I suppose, the voice mail for JP was really vague and Cindy left a message and figured Juliet's mom just didn't call her back for some reason.) Cindy left a message for Casey after attempting this call, and then Casey called and spoke to Cindy for 15 minutes, presumably giving some new BS story. This may have been when Casey told Cindy that she (Casey) was back at the hotel with Caylee so no need to worry...but Caylee's asleep, mom, so no you can't talk to her. Plus you'll only upset her....

Second, on July 3 at 11:52 am, someone called a number from the house phone (321-***-2291) that was extremely similar to a number saved in KC's cell phone for one of her friends (***-321-2291). My guess is that, after the June 25 incident with JP's number, KC told Cindy that Zanny had changed her number again, and that's why the -1759 number didn't work. KC may have given Cindy this slightly fake number sometime between June 25 and July 3 in order to appease her. She had probably learned not to give a real number of one of her friends... So Cindy called this fake number on July 3 in the morning, and it didn't work (obviously). Sleuthers on other boards have pointed out this is the real phone number of some apparently completely uninvolved guy in Texas, who probably told Cindy "sorry, wrong number, no Zanny here." How does Cindy react? She completely freaks out, spending the rest of the day trying to track down Casey, running out to Universal to "pick up Caylee", calling Fusian nightclub, calling Casey's friends, sending Lee out on a recon mission to Orlando hot spots, and finally writing her "My Caylee Is Missing" MySpace message when none of the above worked. This phone call seems to have triggered all the activity.

Third, Cindy tries again to call this SAME NUMBER (321-***-2291) on July 15 at 9:25 pm, right in the middle of all the craziness, 911 calls, kidnapping allegations, etc. Why the heck would she be trying that number again at such a critical time, when she knew perfectly well it didn't work? Maybe she yelled at KC, "You gave me a fake number for Zanny! I tried it and it didn't work!" and KC yelled back, "MOM! Why don't you ever believe me?! That's Zanny's number! The guy who answered was obviously Zanny's boyfriend and he was lying to you because he knows Zanny stole Caylee! Sheesh! Don't you watch any soap operas??"

Sorry for not linking the phone records. All the ones I have are unredacted and I don't have time to go through and put little black rectangles all over them.

Every year, millions of kids write letters to Santa Clause. It has the same net effect.

wow! i've never put it all together like that, but makes perfect sense! especially the happenings on July 3rd. you put the dots real close together for me and i gotta say, it sounds exactly how i would expect Cindy to react. still, calling that # AGAIN on July 15th, right in the middle of all the craziness is crazy in itself.

ya know, this fits in with Cindy's demeanor when she talked about having Zanny's # in the civil depo... she was throughly po'd by then, chomping that gum like there was no tomorrow, anxiously awaiting an opportunity to have her "GOTCHA!" moment with Zanny's lawyer....by then, she *knew* it wasn't Zanny's #, but she could answer that Casey had given her one.

Great work! It might also explain the mysterious references to Caylee supposedly being in Texas.

The fact that CA may have started calling this Zanny person the minute she got a number also makes me think that, regardless of how long KC had been telling people she had a "nanny", CA probably didn't hear a lot about her existence until shortly before KC left home. I can't imagine CA thinking that KC was working each day and not having that number as an emergency number, not to mention CA calling it just to check in. I really don't think CA and GA heard much about the Zanny thing until after the fact, and have been covering for her all this time to try to legitimize (yet another) lie.

GA said they watched Caylee 90% of the time. I think the need for an actual babysitter during the day was minimal, even if KC cooked up the event planner story. Most of her friends were either working or in school during the day, so it's not like she had anything better to do than watch her own child. However, I think the recent event planner gig was something she cooked up to cover for needing to go out at night. She could say she was "working" during the day (ie: playing on Facebook and MySpace) and could use the computer at home.

I just cannot imagine CA not calling a Zanny to check out who was watching Caylee if she had appeared on the scene much earlier, regardless of whether Caylee was in her own bed each night, she was just too invested in her granddaughter to have not done that kind of due diligence.

KC may have tried to impress her friends by saying she needed a nanny, but the fact that CA was angry about the Anything But Clothes Party in late May, makes me think she and GA had babysat that night because KC needed to "work" and used them. I think Zanny was a direct response to that argument.

It seems as if Cindy calling the number she already knew as false on July 15 was probably pure panic and desperation on her part that day. She was hoping beyond hope there was a Zanny and a logical explanation for where Caylee was when she already knew there was not.

When my children were little (and I know this has been said many times on these forums by others) their aunts, uncles, grandparents, my friends and several of our neighbors knew who their sitters, preschools, doctors, and friends were. They still do even though they are now teenagers, simply because many times of the course of the years they helped out with transportation, etc. as needed.

I truly believe prior to Caylee's disappearance they knew there was no Zanny, they just let Casey spin her fairytales in order to have a semblance of peace in their lives. We have all seen what happens when Casey is confronted by them. Unfortunately, letting Casey weave her dreamworld without consequence has resulted in the worst possible outcome for G & C. I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes for one second.

Second, on July 3 at 11:52 am, someone called a number from the house phone (321-***-2291) that was extremely similar to a number saved in KC's cell phone for one of her friends (***-321-2291). My guess is that, after the June 25 incident with JP's number, KC told Cindy that Zanny had changed her number again, and that's why the -1759 number didn't work. KC may have given Cindy this slightly fake number sometime between June 25 and July 3 in order to appease her. She had probably learned not to give a real number of one of her friends... So Cindy called this fake number on July 3 in the morning, and it didn't work (obviously). Sleuthers on other boards have pointed out this is the real phone number of some apparently completely uninvolved guy in Texas, who probably told Cindy "sorry, wrong number, no Zanny here." How does Cindy react? She completely freaks out, spending the rest of the day trying to track down Casey, running out to Universal to "pick up Caylee", calling Fusian nightclub, calling Casey's friends, sending Lee out on a recon mission to Orlando hot spots, and finally writing her "My Caylee Is Missing" MySpace message when none of the above worked. This phone call seems to have triggered all the activity.

--snipped for emphasis

AZ, your entire post is excellent, but ever since I read your theory about the events of July 3rd, all the pieces of the puzzle fit together perfectly for once. I had my "AHA! moment. I think you are spot on.

Every year, millions of kids write letters to Santa Clause. It has the same net effect.
...and if she knew they were bogus numbers she basically lied to the police. Who would string along LE when you just find out your granddaughter is nowhere to be found? It seems as if Cindy has no problem in perpetuating Casey's lies.
AND IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!

jmho

Great work! It might also explain the mysterious references to Caylee supposedly being in Texas.

The fact that CA may have started calling this Zanny person the minute she got a number also makes me think that, regardless of how long KC had been telling people she had a "nanny", CA probably didn't hear a lot about her existence until shortly before KC left home. I can't imagine CA thinking that KC was working each day and not having that number as an emergency number, not to mention CA calling it just to check in. I really don't think CA and GA heard much about the Zanny thing until after the fact, and have been covering for her all this time to try to legitimize (yet another) lie.

GA said they watched Caylee 90% of the time. I think the need for an actual babysitter during the day was minimal, even if KC cooked up the event planner story. Most of her friends were either working or in school during the day, so it's not like she had anything better to do than watch her own child. However, I think the recent event planner gig was something she cooked up to cover for needing to go out at night. She could say she was "working" during the day (ie: playing on Facebook and MySpace) and could use the computer at home.

I just cannot imagine CA not calling a Zanny to check out who was watching Caylee if she had appeared on the scene much earlier, regardless of whether Caylee was in her own bed each night, she was just too invested in her granddaughter to have not done that kind of due diligence.

KC may have tried to impress her friends by saying she needed a nanny, but the fact that CA was angry about the Anything But Clothes Party in late May, makes me think she and GA had babysat that night because KC needed to "work" and used them. I think Zanny was a direct response to that argument.

True. I forgot about the Texas references. This number is an Orlando cell number, but the guy who has the number apparently resides in Texas.

True. I forgot about the Texas references. This number is an Orlando cell number, but the guy who has the number apparently resides in Texas.

Okay, that answers that. I went off looking for G. Lucas "texas" number, but I decided that there was not any Texas connection thing going on - and then the area codes were not matching Texas, so this guy's number was an Orlando number.

AZLawyer - what you found is very intriguing. And to call a number she knew darn well was not a working number on that day???????? Kinda goes right along with "cleaning the car", washing the clothes, wiping off "mama" --- nothing Cindy does makes sense, yet it all feels so purposeful.........hummm

Thank you AZlawyer..................my brain was in need of true mental gymnastics. I feel limber again.

It seems as if Cindy calling the number she already knew as false on July 15 was probably pure panic and desperation on her part that day. She was hoping beyond hope there was a Zanny and a logical explanation for where Caylee was when she already knew there was not.
When my children were little (and I know this has been said many times on these forums by others) their aunts, uncles, grandparents, my friends and several of our neighbors knew who their sitters, preschools, doctors, and friends were. They still do even though they are now teenagers, simply because many times of the course of the years they helped out with transportation, etc. as needed.

I truly believe prior to Caylee's disappearance they knew there was no Zanny, they just let Casey spin her fairytales in order to have a semblance of peace in their lives. We have all seen what happens when Casey is confronted by them. Unfortunately, letting Casey weave her dreamworld without consequence has resulted in the worst possible outcome for G & C. I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes for one second.

bbm~
I see this a little differently I think BFF..I think @ that point Cindy was pizzed and FINALLY calling KC's bluff (imo the bluff only lasted a short time..then realization set in and cover-up started) not because she yet thought anything had happened to Caylee. I believe that she still thought KC was just being her usual self.."a spiteful bit@h"..

I can't believe Cindy, being the loving grandmother she claims she is (and I don't doubt that she loves Caylee) went all this time believing that KC was gainfully employed and paying a nanny named zanny ..who did all this wonderful stuff for Caylee, but she had never met or even talked to her EVEN though she says KC has talked about her for YEARS..

I just don't believe it and if that IS the case then Cindy is absolutely clueless regarding what was going on under her own roof during those years..there's just no way around it..imho..

If I could ask Cindy a question, I guess that would be it..(wrong thread, I know :blushing:)
Which is it Cindy? Are you lying about hearing the details of zanny and your belief that KC was gainfully employed, etc. OR did you REALLY not have a clue as to what was going on right under your nose? If that's the case, how do you know what KC was capable of? Did you really believe KC's BS or were things so dysfunctional that you played her game of "ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies" so as to not rock KC's boat?

Azlawyer, TY!..I love the way you put all this together..although I have to admit, what I perceive as Cindy's mind games always sends me off on a rant, can ya tell? :banghead:

Respectfully Quoted Cecybeans :)
BBM

In AH's statement she describes Cindy telling her that story. AH says Cindy confronted Casey with a picture from that party that Cindy printed off the computer, showed it to Casey and said, "You were at work, huh?" For at least that lie, Casey was busted.

From AH statement and other stuff I've seen here on WS-I get the impression that maybe George and Cindy didn't babysit Caylee that night, that AH kind of makes it sound like Caylee was at the party. In fact, IIRC LE asks that as a direct question and AH says, "Yeah."

I could be wrong about Caylee being at the no clothes party and I want myself corrected if that is so-of course. But either way, ITA with the idea that Casey didn't start using "Zanny/Nanny" with Cindy or anyone till the very end(and everything else you said). Casey used work to go out all the time, and it was so much and always so late and it made Cindy mad but not able to do anything about it, because Casey was "working." Then Cindy catches Casey smack in a lie about having been at work and you are right Cecybeans: that is when Zanny is born.

If George and Cindy had watched Caylee that night then Casey would have been like: "well, I will just get a nanny for Caylee if you won't watch her sometimes."

And, if George and Cindy had not watched Caylee that night then Casey would have been like: "Big deal, I didn't go to work tonight-and Caylee was safe with a babysitter, oh a girl I know named Zenaida..."

:cow:

...and if she knew they were bogus numbers she basically lied to the police. Who would string along LE when you just find out your granddaughter is nowhere to be found? It seems as if Cindy has no problem in perpetuating Casey's lies.
AND IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!

jmho

BBM-- A person who knew her daughter was guilty as sin and wanted to obstruct justice in order to help her case (in her mind).

Casey hasn't worked since before Caylee was born. She paid no rent and contributed 0 to the household. She never bought one diaper for Caylee, a carton of milk, shoes, etc. Caylee was almost 3 and Casey never paid one penny for her care (except for the money she stole). If Casey had worked a minimum wage job she would have been able to contribute something to the household. Cindy borrowing from her 401k shows how deep their financial troubles were.

Off topic but something that has always bothered me. The car Casey used was in CA's, GA's name, or both. I'm assuming the car insurance was under their name and paid by them. I'd like to know if they had Casey's car listed as 'recreational only'.

Bottom line--they knew there was no job and no nanny.

IMO

bbm~
I see this a little differently I think BFF..I think @ that point Cindy was pizzed and FINALLY calling KC's bluff (imo the bluff only lasted a short time..then realization set in and cover-up started) not because she yet thought anything had happened to Caylee. I believe that she still thought KC was just being her usual self.."a spiteful bit@h"..

I can't believe Cindy, being the loving grandmother she claims she is (and I don't doubt that she loves Caylee) went all this time believing that KC was gainfully employed and paying a nanny named zanny ..who did all this wonderful stuff for Caylee, but she had never met or even talked to her EVEN though she says KC has talked about her for YEARS..

I just don't believe it and if that IS the case then Cindy is absolutely clueless regarding what was going on under her own roof during those years..there's just no way around it..imho..

If I could ask Cindy a question, I guess that would be it..(wrong thread, I know :blushing:)
Which is it Cindy? Are you lying about hearing the details of zanny and your belief that KC was gainfully employed, etc. OR did you REALLY not have a clue as to what was going on right under your nose? If that's the case, how do you know what KC was capable of? Did you really believe KC's BS or were things so dysfunctional that you played her game of "ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies" so as to not rock KC's boat?

Azlawyer, TY!..I love the way you put all this together..although I have to admit, what I perceive as Cindy's mind games always sends me off on a rant, can ya tell? :banghead:
I agree...IMO Cindy was raging.

BBM-- A person who knew her daughter was guilty as sin and wanted to obstruct justice in order to help her case (in her mind).

Casey hasn't worked since before Caylee was born. She paid no rent and contributed 0 to the household. She never bought one diaper for Caylee, a carton of milk, shoes, etc. Caylee was almost 3 and Casey never paid one penny for her care (except for the money she stole). If Casey had worked a minimum wage job she would have been able to contribute something to the household. Cindy borrowing from her 401k shows how deep their financial troubles were.

Off topic but something that has always bothered me. The car Casey used was in CA's, GA's name, or both. I'm assuming the car insurance was under their name and paid by them. I'd like to know if they had Casey's car listed as 'recreational only'.

Bottom line--they knew there was no job and no nanny.

IMO
From the onset, Cindy was all about making herself look good. What would people think if she admitted to never having seen the "nanny" that was babysitting her own grandchild? How embarrassing it would be to say she had no idea how to contact this person?! But, why...seriously...was Cindy in CH(her)A mode right from the start? She did so many odd things that night. Just mind-boggling.

...I think Cindy did try to call Zanny and/or her equally imaginary associates, at least 3 times.

First, on June 25, at 6:13 pm, Cindy called JP's number (407-***-1759) (...) Cindy said in her FBI interview that Lee had discovered that a number KC gave Cindy as being "Juliet's mom"'s number was really JP's number--but she failed to mention to the FBI that she had actually called the number back on June 25 and therefore probably knew or suspected it was a fake number long before Lee started his little private investigation. (...)

Third, Cindy tries again to call this SAME NUMBER (321-***-2291) on July 15 at 9:25 pm, right in the middle of all the craziness, 911 calls, kidnapping allegations, etc. Why the heck would she be trying that number again at such a critical time, when she knew perfectly well it didn't work? Maybe she yelled at KC, "You gave me a fake number for Zanny! I tried it and it didn't work!" and KC yelled back, "MOM! Why don't you ever believe me?! That's Zanny's number! (...)

Respectfully snipped/bolded by me.

AZLawyer, words cannot express my respect for your acumen. Many thanks for this fact-based, logical outline.

This could be viewed as a compelling timeline of a worried grandmother's increasing panic. But when you overlay this information on top of the timeline of other events we now know were going on (let's start with family reluctance to acknowledge Casey's obvious pregnancy in 7th month, then jump to family discovery that "working tonight" meant "romping about town minimally clothed," the fight between Casey/Cindy immediately before the disappearance, sudden cessation of contact between Caylee & CA, plus later the larcenous gas can hoo-hah, reclamation of odoriferous vehicle, etc.), it seems that even the June 25 attempt should have set off CA's alarms. Maybe not. Maybe CA/GA had gone a week without seeing Caylee before this. Maybe 10 days with absolutely no contact with their granddaughter wasn't an unusual stretch of absence for them. Maybe.

Your analysis of events on July 3 is eye-opening, especially because the day ends with CA writing a MySpace post that is open/desperate enough to make some question whether she was under the influence while writing it. Which begs the question, why didn't CA go to the police that very day? Why wait almost two more weeks to corner Casey? And how often did CA and Casey post on or read one another's MS posts? After following a telephonic rabbit hole to a dead end in Texas, and knowing Casey's tendencies as she did, what must have been going through CA's mind that night? Who was her intended audience: Casey, or future investigators?

As for the call to the fake number on the 15th of July in the midst of the Fall of the House of Cards, there seem to be only two logical options for motive. Either CA was desperately clinging to what she must have known was a fantasy by that time, or else she was trying to provide cover for her daughter for whatever she had done. Either way... ouch for CA.

Again, much respect to AZL for this thread (and to all posters and lurkers herein!).

I think fear is also an option for CA. I believe CA feared what her daughter might do. Whether it was to run off with Caylee or just keep Caylee from her, I believe CA greatest fear was what KC would do to keep her from seeing Caylee. And now CA knows the truth. JMO

I think CA might have called the fake # again on the 15th b/c she confronted KC and KC said something like, " That IS her real number, Mom - you must have dialed wrong!"

So she tried again . . .

MOO

Are you guys bored? Because you seem bored... :angel:

Here's something to think about:

We all know that Cindy claimed (during the ZFG civil deposition, I believe) that she had phone number(s) and address(es) for Zanny and that she handed them over to the police (and if there's a number, there must be a Zanny, right?). The police report from early in the case states that Cindy did give them a piece of paper with the address for JP/Ricardo/Amy on it. IIRC, the police report said this piece of paper was found in the car, but IMO the police likely got confused when Cindy was handing over all (or most of) the things she found in the car (cleaned-up knife, "Mama" doll, etc.) and also handed over the piece of paper with "Zanny"'s address at the same time.

I keep seeing people on other boards asking, "Why didn't Cindy try to call Zanny, if she had her number?" I think Cindy did try to call Zanny and/or her equally imaginary associates, at least 3 times.

First, on June 25, at 6:13 pm, Cindy called JP's number (407-***-1759). At the time, Cindy supposedly thought KC was staying at the hospital with "Zanny," who had a concussion from the "car accident" and Caylee was staying at a hotel with "Juliet" and her daughter "Annabelle." Cindy said in her FBI interview that Lee had discovered that a number KC gave Cindy as being "Juliet's mom"'s number was really JP's number--but she failed to mention to the FBI that she had actually called the number back on June 25 and therefore probably knew or suspected it was a fake number long before Lee started his little private investigation. (Unless, I suppose, the voice mail for JP was really vague and Cindy left a message and figured Juliet's mom just didn't call her back for some reason.) Cindy left a message for Casey after attempting this call, and then Casey called and spoke to Cindy for 15 minutes, presumably giving some new BS story. This may have been when Casey told Cindy that she (Casey) was back at the hotel with Caylee so no need to worry...but Caylee's asleep, mom, so no you can't talk to her. Plus you'll only upset her....

Third, Cindy tries again to call this SAME NUMBER (321-***-2291) on July 15 at 9:25 pm, right in the middle of all the craziness, 911 calls, kidnapping allegations, etc. Why the heck would she be trying that number again at such a critical time, when she knew perfectly well it didn't work? Maybe she yelled at KC, "You gave me a fake number for Zanny! I tried it and it didn't work!" and KC yelled back, "MOM! Why don't you ever believe me?! That's Zanny's number! The guy who answered was obviously Zanny's boyfriend and he was lying to you because he knows Zanny stole Caylee! Sheesh! Don't you watch any soap operas??"

Sorry for not linking the phone records. All the ones I have are unredacted and I don't have time to go through and put little black rectangles all over them.

AZ...you're simply brilliant. :thumb:

I see something I think you'll find interesting. And I never would've noticed had it not been for your super-sleuthiness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back