GUILTY OR - Yashanee Vaughn, 14, Portland, 19 March 2011

There's a familiar name in today's news item:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/04/search_efforts_continue_saturd.html

"International K-9 Search and Rescue Services of Washington state brought three search and rescue dogs. The coordinator of the group. Harry Oakes, said the dogs would begin their search around the home of the teenager charged in Vaughn's death. "

Oh my, I did have a laugh and then spanked my lips ! Let's hope Harry can find her. We all want her found. Plus, if he finds her it would give more credence to his dogs which I would like to see. I read tonight that Harry's dog hit on the edge of the Horman property, and boy, that might add some life to Kyron's case.

Don't mind me, when I get a bit :crazy:. It means I want something to happen now. Ya Ya

xox

11pm news UPDATE:

A candlelight vigil was held tonight.

The only new thing I heard is they say she died in his bed. If she laid in the bed for 2 hours her death scent would be established and a human recovery dog would make a hit on that IMO ETA: I believe a judge would have to have some evidence of death to charge this boy with 1st degree Manslaughter. IMO

Rocky Butte has 200 acres they are sectioning into 1.5 acre plots to search. It is an area with heavy underbrush, and that 200 acre piece starts across a road that is very close to the Parrish home.

I don't know about the rumor but Tashawnee's mother was quite verbal on TV last night. One can expect her emotions are shot right now.

A Portland police spokesman said more than 100 searchers would search Rocky Butte on Sunday. Saturday's search turned up no sign of the girl.

A spokesman for the Portland Police Bureau, Sgt. Pete Simpson, said that there have not yet been any significant developments but the search will continue until they find her.

Two search warrants were served Monday at Bennette's home. Blood found in the home matched the DNA of Vaughn, law enforcement sources said.

He was on juvenile probation at the time of the death.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/27415864/detail.html

I like their dedication to finding this girl... and the number of searchers despite it being a Sunday.

How do they have DNA results so fast in this case when we wait for weeks in other cases? Or did they just match it with her blood type, not her actual DNA?

WHAT was he on juvenile probation for? I wonder if it has something to do with the gang situation?

Hi, On the 11pm News tonight that is new:

They are searching in a new place, an abandoned golf course that is even closer to the Bernadette home {subdivision} than Rocky Butte.

The man who got Measure 11 passed in Oregon, mandating that juvies be tried in an adult court if the charge is murder or manslaughter, was on. He said 'be sure to note' that this boy already had a criminal record before she was killed which evidently in his mind gave reason to the fact Bernadette will be be prosecuted as an adult.

Absolutely he should be tried as an adult. Some consequences might wipe that smile off his face.

Bennette was expected to be tried as an adult. His bail was set at $500,000.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/27415864/detail.html

They have already said they plan to prosecute him as an adult... I don't think that'll be an issue.

Finding her would certainly help though. Especially soon... to determine cause of death more clearly.

I am not understanding why the charge being asked for is manslaughter...if he has not confessed, how on earth do they know the circumstances under which she died? I read that the charge could be upgraded, but is it normal to ask for manslaughter charges when the body is not even found?

Loss of blood found in his bedroom could have been so great it ruled her being alive out? And as for the manslaughter, I can only guess forensics found evidence to suggest it wasn't a planned murder? Moment of rage? Gang hazing/jumping? With everything under wraps there are lots of questions, understandably.

The prosecution asked for murder charges, the JUDGE dropped it down to manslaughter.

Personally, I can see why.

If he hasn't confessed, how do they know the circumstances under which she died?

They don't.

There is proof she was seriously injured, probably died in his bed.

There is not proof of whether it was premeditated or not. Whether it was a stabbing, shooting, etc. Believe it or not, there are some stupid teenage things that it could be that may not have been intentionally fatal.

There is not proof she died during another felony like a forcible rape. Since they are both under 18, it wouldn't be statutory rape.

Honestly, I think we are lucky that the judge didn't side with the defense attorney and either release him, or give him $25,000 bail. I really thought that she might.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/04/parrish_bennette_arraigned_on.html

Multnomah County Judge Nan Waller ruled this afternoon that there was probable cause to hold 16-year-old Parrish Bennette on a first-degree manslaughter charge in connection with the disappearance of 14-year-old Yashawnee Vaughn.

She also set his bail at $500,000.

In an arraignment held at the Donald E. Long juvenile facility, Waller said she did not, however, find probable cause to hold the 16-year-old on murder charges as the prosecution had asked.

She made her ruling after adjourning to her chambers to review the prosecution's reasons for keeping Bennette in custody.

"The Portland City Council approved a resolution in 2009 to lower the city’s flag in honor of children who die from abuse, neglect or homicidal violence.

'Our community has lost a bright young person,' said city commissioner Dan Saltzman. “While the investigation continues, it is important that we take a moment to honor her life."

http://www.katu.com/news/local/119200994.html

Grand Jury Gets Case Of Missing 14-Year-Old Girl

A grand jury began hearing evidence today in the death of Yashanee Vaughn, a 14-year-old Portland girl who police say was killed by Parrish Bennette.

[snip]

Meanwhile, Vaughn's family issued a statement today:

“Any family searching for a missing loved one, let alone a child, of course would be discouraged when a visible search effort ends as we saw today by Multnomah County Search & Rescue, however we understand that despite not seeing the search continuing in Rocky Butte this doesn’t indicate that searchers have given up on Yashanee. Are we upset, yes, but we know that investigators and the district attorney are in fact still conducting an active search.”

More: http://www.kptv.com/news/27429429/detail.html

Parrish Bennette left town with his grandparents shortly after Yashawnee Vaughn disappeared

Parrish Bennette Jr., 16, left town for five days shortly after police believe he killed 14-year-old Yashawnee Vaughn.

Juvenile authorities took him into custody March 28 on a parole violation when he returned from a visit to California with his grandparents and after his father had called Portland police, concerned that his son may have been involved in Vaughn's March 19 disappearance.

MOre: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/04/parrish_bennette_left_town_wit.html

Charge against boy reveals quite a bit about investigation

Parrish Bennette, 16, was originally arrested on a murder charge last week in connection with the disappearance of Yashanee Vaughn, but a juvenile court judge reduced that charge to manslaughter. That’s a key clue about what evidence police have.

Former Multnomah County Sheriff’s captain and current lawyer, Bruce McCain, said the judge’s choice to reduce the charge against Bennette, after reading the preliminary evidence in the probable cause affidavit, means there are indications Bennette didn’t intend to kill Yashanee but some sort of reckless or negligent behavior led to her death.

[snip]

A grand jury is expected to convene this week in the case and could come to a different conclusion than the judge and increase the charge back to murder. Bennette is set to be back in juvenile court on Friday and the district attorney still has to decide whether to try him in adult court.

More: http://www.katu.com/news/local/119223659.html

Absolutely he should be tried as an adult. Some consequences might wipe that smile off his face.

Hi Cougal and WELCOME to WS. That was so bad, him smiling thru his hearing. It could be his brain has been damaged by either drugs or alcohol IMO. I mean, to kill someone in your own bed and leave the bloody sheets there ??? Hard to imagine, eh?

RUMOR!!!!!!!

These people are giving ALLEGED motive. Hope LE is watching/reading closely! http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=201520503214150&id=100000686049818

Since it has been in the media that he went to California... I would guess LE knows about this too. Also since the prosecution argued to keep him in custody for HIS safety...and his attorney argued the defendant's safety shouldn't be a factor. To me that sounded like the gang issues... if they let him out and it's a gang issue, they are going to come after him.

But I swear... those of of you that can consistently read these things are better than I. The lack of grammar and spelling drives me totally crazy. I am so glad I was never a teenager. :innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back