FL FL - Marinthia McCoy, 26, Daytona Beach, 20 Sept 1989

Limo driver is much more likely than Floyd. Last one to see her alive it seems, and a rather shady character.

The reason I suspected Floyd is because of the region and the nightclub factor.

From OP link above:

The Doe Network:
Case File 355DFFL

Marinthia Ann McCoy
Missing since September 20, 1989 from Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: July 29, 1963
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0; 135 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde/brown hair; blue eyes. Stocky build.
•Tattoos: McCoy has a large rose tattoo on her left arm. She also has a tattoo of The Rolling Stones' logo on her chest.
•Medical: McCoy is an alcoholic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
McCoy went missing after a wild few hours of partying between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach, Florida on September 20, 1989.

The day before she disappeared, she and a male acquaintance checked into the Marriott Hotel. They returned to Jacksonville, where she danced in a bar's bikini contest before returning to Daytona Beach in a limousine. The couple arrived in Daytona about 03.00 and 30 minutes later she ordered a limousine for a return trip to Jacksonville. The driver told police that he dropped off the woman somewhere in Jacksonville. The driver, now serving a prison sentence for bank robbery, has been questioned by police several times about Miss McCoy. He steadfastly denies any involvement with her disappearance. Authorities can't disprove his story, but they can't find anyone in Jacksonville who says they saw her back in town.

McCoy resided in Jacksonville, Florida at the time of her disappearance. When she disappeared, the twice-divorced Miss McCoy left behind a son, a new home, a bartending job and a new car. Her family describes her as a dancer, a dreamer, a loving parent and an alcoholic.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning McCoy's whereabouts, please contact:
Daytona Beach Police Department
904-255-1431
All information may be submitted anonymously.

Agency Case Number:

NCIC Number:
M-459025969
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
St. Petersburg Times 4/30/91
Florida Department of Law Enforcement

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccoy_marinthia.html
More details at Charley Project. (I wonder what the limo drivers name was?)

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7532/1/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: Charting available and entered
DNA: NA
Fingerprints: NA

2 archived articles, both pay per view.

This month marks 21 years that Marinthia has been missing. Her child deserves to know what happened to their Mother. Come home soon.

Attachments

• Marinthia Ann McCoy.bmp
    47.5 KB · Views: 9
Some relatives listed in the obit -- THORNTON Clayton Aaron Thornton, 74, of Jacksonville, Florida passed away Thursday, September 22, 2011. He was born in Waycross, Georgia to Aaron G. Thornton and Sayde Gertrude Poppell. Clayton served in the United States Navy for 20 years and obtained the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer. He earned multiple awards and medals including the Bronze Star with combat valor. He also retired from Baptist Medical Center after 21 years of service. He was of the Baptist faith and was a loving husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather. He will be dearly missed by his loving family and friends. He is predeceased by his wives Sandra Ann Miller; Mamie Lou Johns; son Bruce Green; daughter Marinthia McCoy; brother Richard C. Thornton; sisters Lee Whittaker and Judy Hargiss. He is survived by daughters Terresa L. Simmons; Nila Tanicello sons Ronnie Green (Jacqueline); Joseph McCoy; Jamie Spencer; Larry Rusty Russell, Jr.; brother Joe G. Thornton; sisters Lucy Butch Griffin; Harriet Brown (Richard); many Grandchildren, Great-Grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Visitation will be 6:00-8:00 PM Friday, September 30, 2011 with a military service at 6:30 PM. Funeral service will be 11:00 AM Saturday, October 1, 2011 all located at Town and Country Funeral Home. Burial will follow to Riverside Memorial Park. As an expression of sympathy, memorial contributions may be made to Earl B. Hadlow Center for the Caring Hospice 4266 Sunbeam Road Jacksonville, Fl. 32257 in memory of Mr. Clayton Aaron Thornton. Funeral arrangements were entrusted to Hardage-Giddens Town and Country Funeral Home 7242 Normandy Blvd Jacksonville, Fl. 32205. www.townandcountryfuneralhome.com Please Sign the Guestbook @ Jacksonville.com

Published in the Florida Times-Union on September 29, 20

Tarot reading and insight from Marinthia's best friend's daughter - about relationship with married politician--

Tarot Reading

http://empathysinsights.blogspot.com/2012/12/marinthia-ann-mccoy.html

So I didn't give to much detail bc was hoping to not influence, the minute I started reading you hit the nail on the head, she was involved with a politician who was married, I personally think she was pregnant & she asked for help & he silenced her as to not ruin his reputation, that's my opinion but it seems like tarot is leaning in that direction as well, there are lots of farms & rural areas between Daytona & Jacksonville in the st Augustine area. I've always believed she was dumped there. We've always known in our hearts he killed her (not naming names) but just wanted her home for a proper burial. So much of this makes sense &i read your tarot all the Time for missing people & now that I am in involved I understand it so much more! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for us.

ReplyDelete
Replies
EMPATHYS INSIGHTS7 December 2012 17:29
Thank you for writing in and commenting and for the further information. All I can say is that I hope something in the Tarot is going to help however small.

Delete

lynnette donadio7 December 2012 14:23
Her father was in navy, he died last September and had a military service. Could be the link there, also we strongly believe that the married politician I won't name that she was secretly dating is who is responsible. Wasn't right to date a married man but isn't an excuse for murder. She was a bartender & loved to drink and have a good time, she was my moms life long best friend & we all miss her dearly just as much as the day she was taken from us. The only hill in Jax -Daytona is the landfill & that could definitely explain why she was never found & most likely never will be if that's infact where she is. I hope not. I'll wait for dees map & see if that helps some. You have already helped so much. Thank you again, Kaysi

From OP link above:

The Doe Network:
Case File 355DFFL

Marinthia Ann McCoy
Missing since September 20, 1989 from Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: July 29, 1963
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0; 135 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde/brown hair; blue eyes. Stocky build.
•Tattoos: McCoy has a large rose tattoo on her left arm. She also has a tattoo of The Rolling Stones' logo on her chest.
•Medical: McCoy is an alcoholic.

Circumstances of Disappearance
McCoy went missing after a wild few hours of partying between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach, Florida on September 20, 1989.

The day before she disappeared, she and a male acquaintance checked into the Marriott Hotel. They returned to Jacksonville, where she danced in a bar's bikini contest before returning to Daytona Beach in a limousine. The couple arrived in Daytona about 03.00 and 30 minutes later she ordered a limousine for a return trip to Jacksonville. The driver told police that he dropped off the woman somewhere in Jacksonville. The driver, now serving a prison sentence for bank robbery, has been questioned by police several times about Miss McCoy. He steadfastly denies any involvement with her disappearance. Authorities can't disprove his story, but they can't find anyone in Jacksonville who says they saw her back in town.

McCoy resided in Jacksonville, Florida at the time of her disappearance. When she disappeared, the twice-divorced Miss McCoy left behind a son, a new home, a bartending job and a new car. Her family describes her as a dancer, a dreamer, a loving parent and an alcoholic.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning McCoy's whereabouts, please contact:
904-255-1431
All information may be submitted anonymously.

Agency Case Number:

NCIC Number:
M-459025969
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
St. Petersburg Times 4/30/91
Florida Department of Law Enforcement

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccoy_marinthia.html
More details at Charley Project. (I wonder what the limo drivers name was?)

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7532/1/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: Charting available and entered
DNA: NA
Fingerprints: NA

2 archived articles, both pay per view.

This month marks 21 years that Marinthia has been missing. Her child deserves to know what happened to their Mother. Come home soon.
I bought the articles that were archived in the papers -I will try to scan them in and upload... there was not too much info, her mom was digging between Jax Fl and Daytona trying to find her...

one of the articles did give the limo driver's name, and was in prison in Georgia. I think he is out now in the last year or two, but I can't remember... have to scan in those articles..

The Doe Network states " The couple arrived in Daytona about 03.00 and 30 minutes later she ordered a limousine for a return trip to Jacksonville. The driver told police that he dropped off the woman somewhere in Jacksonville."

what happened to the guy that she was with?

Here is the news article- I have to find my notes at work - and see what I found on him, I can't remember -

AFTER 11 YEARS, SEARCH FOR MOM YIELDS FEW LEADS
Kathy Kelly
Column: THE BEAT GOES ON
October 31, 2000; Page 01C
Marinthia McCoy's final ride 11 years ago still haunts her family, and hope seems dimmer than ever that they will learn the fate of the young woman.
It's hard to believe a decade has passed since I met Marinthia's mother, Sandra Thornton. This mother of three, despite a lack of formal training, has conducted her own investigation into her daughter's disappearance.
She's even used tactics official police investigators have frowned upon, but she still has not found her daughter. She declared: "I will not give up."
The attractive brunette was a fun- loving party girl whose love for alcohol controlled her life. She and James Batten hired a limousine to bring them to Daytona Beach in September 1989. Just before they left Duval County, Marinthia's cousin, Debra Kay McCoy, sat with her briefly in the limo for a quick photo taken by the driver.
In the closeup, the two women were smiling broadly. Peeking out from the bodice of Marinthia's outfit was a tattoo of Mick Jagger's lips, one of several she had.
After arriving in Daytona Beach at the Marriott Hotel (now the Adam's Mark), Batten later told Debra McCoy, Marinthia took an estimated $1,900 from him. Although he called around to several friends in Jacksonville trying to track her down, he never made a complaint to police.
When Marinthia didn't show up for work the next day Sept. 21 her mother feared the worst. She immediately began to try to find her daughter, meticulously recording each bit of information in a diary on lined paper.
Through her own perseverance, Thornton learned Marinthia had caught another limo from the hotel. The driver, known to the valet parking attendant who had summoned the luxury car, was Dennis Stephen Dukovich.
Thornton reached Dukovich by phone and began to grill him about where he had dropped her daughter off. She met Dukovich here and retraced with him the drive to Jacksonville, where he pointed out a high-crime neighborhood where Marinthia had gotten out, a drug deal rendezvous, he suspected.
As the weeks wore on, Dukovich's account of the night's drive didn't quite click in Thornton's eyes. She got the mileage off his limo log and found irregularities. She later learned he had gone to a hospital emergency room after what he claimed was a fall in the bathtub.
Somehow getting into his Madison Avenue apartment, Thornton and an uncle learned the tiny place only had a small shower stall, not a tub. They dogged him, even following him at times. Then, in March of 1990, Dukovich was arrested on bank robbery charges. He pleaded guilty and was later sentenced to 10 years in federal prison.
While Dukovich was behind bars in Georgia, Thornton placed a personal advertisement in a newspaper there seeking prison pen pals in an effort to get information about Dukovich.
She got one. "This guy wrote to me," she said recently. "He was a killer; it was sickening."
She sought the inmate's help in finding out more information from Dukovich but got nowhere. Ultimately, the former limo driver was transferred to the Federal Correctional Institution at Victorville, Calif. Ed Gaunder, executive assistant to the warden, confirmed Dukovich is due for parole May 27, 2003, but could give no other details about the inmate.
When I first wrote about Marinthia more than 10 years ago, I sought Dukovich's side of the story. When he learned he was the last person to see Marinthia McCoy alive, he quickly said: "The last known person" to see her, and ended the conversation.
He hasn't answered a letter sent several weeks ago seeking comment from him again.
Marinthia's son turned 21 recently. His grandmother said he has been permanently affected by his mother's disappearance. "I know that Marinthia put up the best fight she could," said Thornton.
Without a body, police investigators have little to go on. Tom Youngman, the detective who worked on the case, has since retired, but is now a civilian employee for the Police Department.
"I've kept all the files just as they were," he said recently. "If the mother has any new information, we'd be glad to pursue it."
The Beat Goes On appears every Tuesday. Kathy Kelly may be reached via e-mail at kathy.kelly@news-jrnl.com

There are records for 2 James Battens - one a James C, has quite a criminal history - tons of traffic tickets in Jacksonville, domestic battery and pawning some goods with false ID.. most of the charges from 1988 to 2011... James G has 1 or 2 traffic charges. The birth year of James C is 1964 and James G 1962. I am leaning towards James C

Bumping this thread for Marinthia, her son and her mother.

So I just sent in this possible match in to compare to Marinthia this morning The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
and I already heard back:

Good morning,

I have reached out to NamUs to have the dental charts compared. If the unidentified person and the missing person are not a match, the missing person will be listed as such.

Thank you for your input on this case.

I am 2 for 2 for hearing back from law enforcement/medical examiners offices this week about cases of possible matches.

So I just sent in this possible match in to compare to Marinthia this morning The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
and I already heard back:

Good morning,

I have reached out to NamUs to have the dental charts compared. If the unidentified person and the missing person are not a match, the missing person will be listed as such.

Thank you for your input on this case.

I am 2 for 2 for hearing back from law enforcement/medical examiners offices this week about cases of possible matches.

So the UID that I turned in about being the possible match to Marinthia in 2020, had her profile modified today in NamUs . Marinthia still isn't listed as a rule out.

Apparently she had a very busy life...maybe she also used drugs and from what is known she was an alcoholic, a party animal... a young woman with a 2-year-old baby. I wish I had thought better of him... but I don't think it was. a bad woman just misguided and trapped in vices... I think the limousine driver has a lot to do with this case... perhaps she was drunk or drugged and he took advantage of her...
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa