Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, same goes for me too!

the warning covers a large area....folks that live in these areas, pay attention...

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/forecastsummary/tornadooutbreak_large.html

map_spectrop08_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

Here is what is going on in Wisconsin. Obviously I am safe since Im still posting!

A "potent severe weather situation" packing tornadoes and 4-inch plus hail is sweeping across southern Wisconsin, and has already damaged houses and trees near Mosinee in Marathon County, the National Weather Service said this afternoon.
One person suffered minor injuries — cut by glass from an apparent twister — near Bevent, said Jackie Seliger, a dispatch supervisor for the Marathon County Sheriff's Department. One mobile home was wrecked and other buildings, including a barn and other homes, were damaged, she said.
The storm also knocked down trees and power lines, Seliger said.
Baseball-size hail fell in Wisconsin Rapids, knocking out the windshield of one police car, said Karen Ryun, a police dispatcher. A funnel cloud was spotted southeast of town but there were no immediate reports of it touching down, she said.
The threat for severe weather was "increasing rapidly" near the Wisconsin Dells area around 5 p.m. and was expected to hit the Madison area around 7, the weather service said.
A tornado watch remains in effect until midnight for most of south central Wisconsin.
Schools across the region have closed early or canceled after-school events, and the Dane County Board has also canceled tonight's scheduled board meeting due to the weather.
"If there ever were a day to respect the potential for violent weather, this would be it," said Steve Thompson, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in La Crosse.
Portage County Sheriff John Charewicz said forecasters' alarms about the storm moving east from the Great Plains caused emergency responders in his county to recommend school be closed Thursday and a Special Olympics competition for 3,000 athletes be canceled.
The forecasters called the weather front "the granddaddy of all super cells. So we are concerned," he said. "I don't know if people should be afraid. They should prepare for some inconveniences. Chances are they are going to be out of power for a couple of days if this arrives."
"The critics are coming out and saying we are nuts and overreacted and maybe we have," he said. "I am willing to take that criticism. I have been here since 1975 and I have only seen the National Weather Service this alarmed about weather one time and that turned into a major blizzard in the 1980s."

http://www.madison.com/bn/index.php?action=this&bn_id=0-160963

It wasn't too bad last night. (I'm in Northern Illinois) Winds really picked up about 10pm, but I didn't have anything blow away. I was expecting some really bad stuff, but it was nothing terribly bad.

Parts of Wisconsin got hit and did some tornado and hail damage.
We lucked out and got to enjoy the excitement of watching the storms without any tragedy.
I have to admit I get a thrill out of watching the storms! And I Love a good ole power outage once in a while! (Searching for the "I am Crazy Face" before someone else puts it up for me) :crazy:

Keep safe, ya'll! I'm actually a little jealous. I love big ferocious storms.

Plus we are dying for water down here!
Come to Singleton in New South Wales Australia, we are copping it at the moment, we have been in the worst drought in history and now we cant leave or noone can enter our town as it is flooded and the river is to peak early in the morning and therefore will probably bust its banks and that spells trouble.

The SPC is forecasting ...severe thunderstorm outbreak expected from the eastern half of the plains into the upper mississippi valley this afternoon and tonight.... Please read the latest public statement about this event.​

PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0354 AM CDT THU JUN 05 2008​

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM OUTBREAK EXPECTED FROM THE EASTERN HALF OF
THE PLAINS INTO THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY THIS AFTERNOON AND
TONIGHT...​

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING
WIDESPREAD DAMAGING THUNDERSTORM WINDS...STRONG TORNADOES AND LARGE
HAIL OVER A LARGE PART OF THE EASTERN PLAINS AND THE UPPER
MISSISSIPPI VALLEY THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT.​

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE​

MUCH OF IOWA
CENTRAL AND EASTERN KANSAS
SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL MINNESOTA
WESTERN AND NORTHERN MISSOURI
CENTRAL AND EASTERN NEBRASKA
WESTERN...CENTRAL AND NORTHERN OKLAHOMA
EASTERN SOUTH DAKOTA
WESTERN AND CENTRAL WISCONSIN​

ELSEWHERE...SCATTERED SEVERE STORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FROM NORTHWEST
TEXAS THROUGH THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALEY TO THE GREAT LAKES.​

THIS IS POTENTIALLY A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THOSE IN THE
THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY RULES AND
TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR
POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.​

..CORFIDI.. 06/05/2008​

You take care of us so well!!! It is pretty weird here today in North Texas. I woke up this morning and its 82 degrees and the winds are about 45 miles per hour. THAT is not good.

Here in southern WI we've had bad thunderstorms for the last few hours. Sorta creepy. The sky looks weird.

I'm near O'Hare Airport, in a mobile home park, and we have the creepiness here too. Thunderstorms last night and now everything feels as if it's holding its breath.

Stay safe everyone. We rarely get tornados here. Last one was in 1999. There's been so many tornado's this year all over the U.S. that I find myself watching the skies daily. Can you believe it was only 52 degrees here yesterday?

Stay safe everyone. We rarely get tornados here. Last one was in 1999. There's been so many tornado's this year all over the U.S. that I find myself watching the skies daily. Can you believe it was only 52 degrees here yesterday?

Can I come over?? It was 99 here.:eek:

It sounds nice doesn't it? Enjoy the warmth and stay safe today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998