A Masterpiece of Misdirection

BBB167893

Former Member
Reaction score
Hey, folks. How ya doing today?

A few days ago, HOTYH expressed disbelief that the RN author could have wanted to blame an SFF while at the same time leaving hints that the killer was someone close by.

Well, I've felt for a while now that they could have done both WITHOUT it being an inconsistency or a paradox, or some other damn thing. But I wasn't quite sure how to put my feelings into words.

Then, like tablets delivered from the mountaintop, Chiquita71 came through for me, giving me the last piece I needed:

Chiquita71 said:
I do not know if Cherokee says this or not but: I noticed where it says; "We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction."

I am sure this has been pointed out on many threads long before I arrived at WS but I realized it says they represent a small foreign faction. They are not even the foreign faction, they just represent them.

Because of all the information I have gained from WS and FFJ this is what is coming into my mind right now : I had the thought the ransom note was supposed to be written by the housekeeper.

LE: John, I've noticed you made a comment on the 26th regarding and it was a (inaudible) comment, about this being an inside job. But if this was someone that you know who did this, who would have had the best opportunity to have come into your home and move throughout your home and wrote on a note pad in your home to have done this?
JR: Well, and that morning we had certainly focused on the cleaning lady. I mean she had free reign of our house, she had a key, she had spent the weekend.
(skip)same statement
There had been some very bizarre behavior.
(skip)And based on the room was just such an out of the way place that I just don't...

IIRC, it was the housekeeper and other(s)with her that brought up all the Christmas decorations from the basement per Ramsey statements.

JR confused me here and after this part because it seems he is willing to believe someone may have come in the window but "you couldn't really see the windows from off the street/wasn't obvious to anyone but him", and he lets LE know that it was difficult for him to get into that window. I wondered why. But I think that its because they wanted people to think that the housekeeper and her husband did this to get money from them.

They never wanted anyone to take "the small foreign faction or those who represent them" seriously. The RN was (maybe)written to look like the housekeeper wrote it. That's why its okay to be a woman's handwriting, okay to be on a pad found in the house: that is why JR would be the one to point it out to LE. The amount would be an amount the housekeeper might know.

The housekeeper would feel comfortable in the house. Comfortable using Patsy's things. Patsy was supposed to leave a check for two thousand on the counter for the housekeeper(who has a key)but would be picking it up after the Rs go on their trip.

In thinking of the language: switching to using the familiar "John". Using the "motherly" directions. Get good rest(paraphrased). The misspelling of the words and the whole kidnapping/ransom note plan in general, could be the Ramsey's idea of what the "uneducated poor" desperate for money(and maybe jealous)would try to pull off.

Beautiful. Especially the bolded parts. And that's where we can reconcile the two:

the whole point of the RN was to tell a story. And what better than a spy plot? The "representative of the foreign faction" turns out to be a secret spy, a mole right under the Rs' noses! A trusted friend/colleague/employee who secretly sold out their country and helped get a little girl killed out of greed and jealousy.

It covers all the bases: someone points out how the language is feminine and motherly with phrases only an inner circle member would know? Say it was the lady housekeeper, someone who would know all of these things. WHY would she kill their little girl or set her up to be killed AND possibly betray her country? Greed and jealousy, the classic harbingers of betrayal from the beginning of time.

Tom Clancy would be proud! Say, wasn't PR a fan of Tom Clancy books and JR a fan of James Bond movies?

Mm, mm, mm.

Beautiful. Especially the bolded parts. And that's where we can reconcile the two:

the whole point of the RN was to tell a story. And what better than a spy plot? The "representative of the foreign faction" turns out to be a secret spy, a mole right under the Rs' noses! A trusted friend/colleague/employee who secretly sold out their country and helped get a little girl killed out of greed and jealousy.

It covers all the bases: someone points out how the language is feminine and motherly with phrases only an inner circle member would know? Say it was the lady housekeeper, someone who would know all of these things. WHY would she kill their little girl or set her up to be killed AND possibly betray her country? Greed and jealousy, the classic harbingers of betrayal from the beginning of time.

Tom Clancy would be proud! Say, wasn't PR a fan of Tom Clancy books and JR a fan of James Bond movies?

Mm, mm, mm.

Oddly, I was just thinking about the spy idea. Who belongs to a small group of individuals who represent a foreign faction but are currently up to no good in a country they don't respect?

Spies.

Who reads the local papers, knows all the companies, events, pageants, parades, etc.?

Spies.

Who would know JR's fat cat bonus, and want to humiliate JR with it?

Oddly, I was just thinking about the spy idea.

Obviously not in the way I intended!

Who belongs to a small group of individuals who represent a foreign faction but are currently up to no good in a country they don't respect?

Spies.

Who reads the local papers, knows all the companies, events, pageants, parades, etc.?

Spies.

Who would know JR's fat cat bonus, and want to humiliate JR with it?

It seems my arrow went a BIT wide of the mark!

Well, it is only a "masterpiece of misdirection" if in fact someone was misdirected. Is there anyone who actually believed the ransom note was real?

Well, it is only a "masterpiece of misdirection" if in fact someone was misdirected. Is there anyone who actually believed the ransom note was real?

I don't know. But that was not my point. My point is the idea of blaming a foreign faction AND someone close is NOT contradictory, as some would have you think.

My choice of thread title was actually meant sarcastically. As my friend Blackadder says, "of course, it's not very clever. But whomever wrote it certainly thought it was very clever at the time." (That one's for you, Sophie!)

Lou Smit seems to have been the only one. :)
Not even the Ramseys pretended to believe their asinine concoction, but this did not prevent Lou from theorizing that the "intruder" planned to flee to Mexico and exchange the ransom sum in pesos. Priceless! :D

The small forgien faction to me isn't there....So if the R's looked at the maid first would had made sense if they was innocent...cause with the Tom Clancy, LHP could had read some of them since it does sound in alot of things she felt comfortable....And cleaning she could had ran across a pay stub or the fake ransom note the PR wrote beyond me why a mother would do this writting a fake ransom note...But like I said this always 100% goes back to the R's cause to me the didn't deserve special treatment cause their daughter was found in the basement and how many cases ever been done like this hmm, just JonBenet...

Wouldn't Patsy WANT to point the finger at the housekeeper? Being that the housekeeper witnessed the screaming/hairbrush beating incidents over time. Patsy had to know that would all come to light rather quickly. What better way than to try to point a finger at back at the housekeeper (such as it is) from the get go?

Wouldn't Patsy WANT to point the finger at the housekeeper? Being that the housekeeper witnessed the screaming/hairbrush beating incidents over time. Patsy had to know that would all come to light rather quickly. What better way than to try to point a finger at back at the housekeeper (such as it is) from the get go?

I think she thought of it but it would have been harder to do.I mean there was sexual abuse....prior abuse..........kinda hard to blame a female housekeeper for it.So the note needed to mud the waters...and it did.

moo

I think she thought of it but it would have been harder to do.I mean there was sexual abuse....prior abuse..........kinda hard to blame a female housekeeper for it.So the note needed to mud the waters...and it did.

moo

I must respectfully disagree with the claim that its kinda hard to blame a female housekeeper for the sexual abuse, if we are to believe a foriegn faction was behind the "plot" we can also believe that it is possible for a female to be the molester. Also, Mr. Housekeeper and Mrs. Housekeeper had written a manuscript years prior wherein the scenario is extremely similar to the crime. I am a firm believer that the R's are responsible, so don't get me wrong here. I'm just saying that perhaps the R's had read the manuscript and Mr & Mrs Housekeeper's story became the inspiration for the way JBR's death was covered up and the couple were also the obvious scapegoat. I agree with the mudying the waters comment completely.

I must respectfully disagree with the claim that its kinda hard to blame a female housekeeper for the sexual abuse, if we are to believe a foriegn faction was behind the "plot" we can also believe that it is possible for a female to be the molester. Also, Mr. Housekeeper and Mrs. Housekeeper had written a manuscript years prior wherein the scenario is extremely similar to the crime. I am a firm believer that the R's are responsible, so don't get me wrong here. I'm just saying that perhaps the R's had read the manuscript and Mr & Mrs Housekeeper's story became the inspiration for the way JBR's death was covered up and the couple were also the obvious scapegoat. I agree with the mudying the waters comment completely.

Hi,
it was Mrs.Santa who wrote the script and yeah there are some bizarre similarities between the murders.It has been specualted that PR read that play but IMO she didn't have someone particular in mind when she wrote the RN.Even after the murder,they tried to blame the Santa couple,the White's,the housekeeper.Guess it was easier to say I am not sure who did it but I have some clues than to point fingers at one single person who could have been cleared and then what...

Did you guys read their statements (in the presence of M.Keenan) re the McReynolds?

Shows their real faces for once.What a MEAN couple.

IMO

Did you guys read their statements (in the presence of M.Keenan) re the McReynolds?

Shows their real faces for once.What a MEAN couple.

IMO

There were other coincidences with the McReynolds. Mrs. McReynolds had been a movie critic for the local newspaper. Their daughter was abducted 22 years to the day of the murder of JBR----she was not sexually assaulted, but her friend was. They never caught the perp. Then you have the play Mrs. McReynolds wrote about the young girl in Indiana (?) that was tortured and killed in a basement. It was based on a book by an author friend of Mrs. McReynolds in her younger day. Book name escapes me.

I don't recall their statements---the ones they did make didn't seem mean to me....both of the McReynolds were from academia and long-tine Boulder residents. Statements they did make seemd pretty Boulderish.

There were other coincidences with the McReynolds. Mrs. McReynolds had been a movie critic for the local newspaper. Their daughter was abducted 22 years to the day of the murder of JBR----she was not sexually assaulted, but her friend was. They never caught the perp. Then you have the play Mrs. McReynolds wrote about the young girl in Indiana (?) that was tortured and killed in a basement. It was based on a book by an author friend of Mrs. McReynolds in her younger day. Book name escapes me.

I don't recall their statements---the ones they did make didn't seem mean to me....both of the McReynolds were from academia and long-tine Boulder residents. Statements they did make seemd pretty Boulderish.

I wrote on another thread re the Sylvia Likens murder.And I even asked cause I couldn't find ANY connection between her and Santa's daughter.None.It only says Mrs.Santa wrote a play based on that story.

I don't recall their statements---the ones they did make didn't seem mean to me....

She means the statements the Rs made about THEM. Stuff about how Shirley Temple was more of a man than Bill, just off the top of my head.

ya ....... snarly.

I had not seem the LKL interviews til this year, and I was suprised at how raw the Rs came off,
I don't know what I expected to see, I understand they were in a pressure cooker .... they seemed off kilter.

ya ....... snarly.

I had not seem the LKL interviews til this year, and I was suprised at how raw the Rs came off,
I don't know what I expected to see, I understand they were in a pressure cooker .... they seemed off kilter.

Uh...yeah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back