GUILTY PA - Husband charged in cyanide poisoning death of Dr. Autumn Klein

Wolf Dreamer

Reaction score
Police are investigating after ‘toxic levels of cyanide’ were found in her bloodstream of a well-respected Pennsylvania doctor who died suddenly at her home last month.

Autumn Marie Klein, 41, collapsed at her Oakland, Pennsylvania home and died on April 20 at UPMC Presbyterian, where she also headed the women's neurology department and was an assistant professor of neurology, obstetrics and gynecology.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-died-toxic-levels-cyanide-bloodstream.html

KDKA Investigators have also learned that Dr. Ferrante has hired prominent attorney, and former U.S. Attorney General J. Alan Johnson.

Sources also tell KDKA’s Marty Griffin that her husband has hired forensic pathologist Cyril H. Wecht.

LE has a subpoena for lab were husband worked, it has cyanide. The couple was trying for a second child.

My guess is he has a girlfriend and didn't want another baby with her.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/05/02/upmc-doctor-poisoned-with-cyanide-subpoenas-issued/

There is new info in this link. Interview with Autumn's mother. She was supposed to stay at the couple's home and babysit grand daughter while they went to a convention the next day. Also strange way husband told daughter about mother's illness, and how he asked talked with other doctors about wife's case but not using her name.

I think he didn't want to go to conference. Husband maybe smart but he may lack common sense. Also probably thought no one would believe that the highly respected Dr could kill his wife.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...eath-of-doctor-with-cyanide-in-system-686074/

Mr. Uroj Khan ( a lottery winner) was recently died from cyanide poisoning.
There was no autopsy done initially, and only after his sibling complained he was tested for poisons.
In this case, it appears autopsy was done and poison found. But whoever might have poisoned her maybe counted on autopsy not being done, or poison not looked for?

There is new info in this link. Interview with Autumn's mother. She was supposed to stay at the couple's home and babysit grand daughter while they went to a convention the next day. Also strange way husband told daughter about mother's illness, and how he asked talked with other doctors about wife's case but not using her name.

I think he didn't want to go to conference. Husband maybe smart but he may lack common sense. Also probably thought no one would believe that the highly respected Dr could kill his wife.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...eath-of-doctor-with-cyanide-in-system-686074/

Instead, Ms. Klein said she received a call from Mr. Ferrante close to midnight April 17 saying that her daughter, who had returned home from her lab between 11 and 11:30 p.m. that night, had collapsed and was en route to the hospital. The three of them were the only ones inside the house, she said he told her.

"He called in a panic and said something had happened to Autumn," Ms. Klein said. "The hospital did not tell us anything. I don't know that anybody has told us what happened to her. There were some assumptions, I guess you would call them."

...Ms. Klein said Mr. Ferrante told her that at one point he began presenting her daughter's case to medical colleagues without telling them whose it was and asking for their opinions. One person suggested the possibility that Dr. Klein's brain could have had a "massive electrical surge," Ms. Klein said.
Uh, I don't know... does this all seem a little weird? To commit suicide the wife would have had to take the poison right after she got home. Is there a 911 call - I'd like to hear it.

And, I'll give him some slack but the hubby seems a bit weird in the last paragraph. The woman has also already been cremated.

Body was cremated.
Was the autopsy done? I wonder what led them to check her blood for poisons.
There are still no arrests in Uroj Khan's death despite cyanide being found in him.

It intrigues me that the UK's Daily Mail seems to be the source of many of these stories.

Will we find that her husband had a hand in this to some degree? (Did he want her gone...or were either of them having an affair, and someone saw her as "in the way"? Or perhaps he just didn't want any more kids. He already had 2 older (adult?) kids, and the little girl.)

This story is not just in daily mail.

"The medical examiner's office has reportedly issued subpoenas to the university to gain insight into the movement of chemicals, including cyanide, in and out of the lab. CBS Pittsburgh reports search warrants are specifically being used to obtain cyanide from the lab where Ferrante works."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ittsburgh-doctor-dead-from-cyanide-poisoning/

Cyanide is a quick acting poison. So it had to have been given to her in short proximity to her collapse.
Did she take it orally? Was it injected? Inhaled?
With the body cremated, how are they going to find that out?

Cyanide is a quick acting poison. So it had to have been given to her in short proximity to her collapse.
Did she take it orally? Was it injected? Inhaled?
With the body cremated, how are they going to find that out?

I tried to research how quickly Cyanide works, but probably gave up too soon - it does depend on the method and, of course, the amount!

If it can't be a suicide (as is says above) and it was a very large dose that acts quickly, then who else could have given it to her but her husband since that would probably mean it was between ~ 11:30 - midnight when it was administered?

I've researched it before when Uroj Khan died. It does depend on the dose and method. Reportedly her dose was large, so presumably very quickly in her case. But not necessarily by the husband only. If she were taking any pills, etc, it could have been put into a pill, potentially by somebody else. She was reportedly trying to get pregnant-so could have been taking supplements, etc.

I've researched it before when Uroj Khan died. It does depend on the dose and method. Reportedly her dose was large, so presumably very quickly in her case. But not necessarily by the husband only. If she were taking any pills, etc, it could have been put into a pill, potentially by somebody else. She was reportedly trying to get pregnant-so could have been taking supplements, etc.

Ah, no fair ... yep, there is another way beyond the husband! Maybe an evil colleague who saw her as competition, an affair prospect, or just some weirdo who may be doing this (and they haven't been deemed homicides).

Can they determine the method based on the autopsy?

Can they determine the method based on the autopsy?

If they did the autopsy. Since the body was cremated, if they didn't do the autopsy, then it's impossible.
With Uroj Khan, they did not do the autopsy righ away. He was exumed later, but by that time there was too much degradation. Still no arrests in that case.

I can't seem to find when the autopsy was performed, I assume April 20 based on what has been said in an article - that would be the day she died.

"Dr. Autumn Marie Klein collapsed late in the evening on April 17 and died April 20. She was cremated days later. ...

... Lois Klein said Ferrante has not returned a message she left with him Tuesday. She last saw him following a memorial at McCabe Funeral Home on April 24. Autumn Klein, an organ donor, was cremated."

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/3951106-74/klein-lois-cyanide (April 2)

April 17: collapsed late in the evening
April 20: died, "Results of an autopsy are pending"
April 24: memorial, Cremation (?)
May 3: Search Warrant

I can't figure out why the husband has hired Wecht unless he is disputing that she was poisoned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back