GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. 30 minutes south, you could merge onto I-75. 30 minutes North, you would be around/just above Jasper heading towards Ellijay.

Get on 75 north and you're in Tennessee in under an hour and a half....

I wonder if the friends that left at 3:45 were not siblings. It's possible Jorelys and her siblings were playing with the friends who left at 3:45. Then Jorelys and her siblings stayed at the playground and were supposed to be supervised by the teenage babysitter who left them to play by themselves and then while they were playing unsupervised Jorelys left her younger siblings alone at the playground to go get the drinks. At least that is how I am interpreting the current information at this time.

It may be her younger siblings who said she left to go get drinks.

A reporter had interviewed Jorelys's friends for one of the local news stations. The kids he talked to appeared to be brother and sister to each other. The girl looked to be the same age as Jorelys and the boy was maybe a year younger. It wasn't said who was supervising her friends. I believe I read Jorelys siblings are 4 and 1 1/2 years old.

They're still saying babysitter, so I guess the teenager is not an older sibling?

Iirc, one of the articles said she was a 'family friend' and I even thought one article said she lived in the apartment. Which I guess would be necessary, seeing as J would otherwise be responsible for waking herself up, feeding herself breakfast, and getting on the bus since mom doesn't get home til after she leaves for school...

Who the heck is watching the two little ones? Are they in daycare while she's sleeping? Does the teen not go to school?

Uh, wha???? The girl is in the first grade. Four months into the first grade. She might own a diary. She probably has a cute little purse, of the Hello Kitty variety. But these are items you note are missing when your teen doesn't come home one night. I'd think those are pretty odd items for a 7 year old to grab. I wonder if they actually exist.

Most kids are just learning to read in Kindergarten and haven't mastered it by 4 months into first grade. (I realize there are exceptions and some bright kids master these things sooner.) Same goes for writing. It's usually pretty primitive at this age, very basic, lots of their worksheets involve coloring and circling the right answer. Add to that, she has a non English speaking parent who sleeps during the day and not a lot of adult supervision, according to neighbors. If she's advanced in those things, I doubt it was from early exposure to lots of reading and writing in the home. She may be very bright, but if she has a diary, I'd venture to guess she mostly scribbles in it and draws pictures, makes lists, plays school with it, etc.

And a purse? Most kids in the first grade see it as a 'play' accessory, not something they'd grab before they run out the door, let alone run away. I get that she might be a bit of a latch-key kid, but why carry a purse, as a 7 year old, on top of a backpack?

So I agree with what other posters have said, this, to me, sounds like mom is trying to make it SOUND like she ran away.

But back to backpack (that may or may not exist, I'm just speculating here.) Did someone say, or was it mentioned in an article, that they go straight to the park after getting off the bus? Where's her backpack? (She's got one. My kids are in this school system, it's pretty much a requirement.) The apartment? The playground? Missing?

ALL excellent points!!! I must admit, when I copied the tweet from earlier, it never dawned on me about the age, and the purse/diary thing. (I don't have kids, and never can remember what kids do at what ages....lol) So thank you for bringing these up.

Why would her mother say that? Now that bothers me as much as some comment I heard about Jorelyn not having access to a change of clothes. Why would she need one, and if she did, why couldn't she get one? Was she not going to her own apartment to get drinks? Why wouldn't she be allowed to have a change of clothes?

Some of this makes no sense to me.......

Iirc, one of the articles said she was a 'family friend' and I even thought one article said she lived in the apartment. Which I guess would be necessary, seeing as J would otherwise be responsible for waking herself up, feeding herself breakfast, and getting on the bus since mom doesn't get home til after she leaves for school...

Who the heck is watching the two little ones? Are they in daycare while she's sleeping? Does the teen not go to school?

Sorry to quote myself, but I just realized we may have the answer as to why DFCS took the younger two. Were they just kinda on their own while mom got her 8 or so hours of sleep?

Uh, wha???? The girl is in the first grade. Four months into the first grade. She might own a diary. She probably has a cute little purse, of the Hello Kitty variety. But these are items you note are missing when your teen doesn't come home one night. I'd think those are pretty odd items for a 7 year old to grab. I wonder if they actually exist.

Most kids are just learning to read in Kindergarten and haven't mastered it by 4 months into first grade. (I realize there are exceptions and some bright kids master these things sooner.) Same goes for writing. It's usually pretty primitive at this age, very basic, lots of their worksheets involve coloring and circling the right answer. Add to that, she has a non English speaking parent who sleeps during the day and not a lot of adult supervision, according to neighbors. If she's advanced in those things, I doubt it was from early exposure to lots of reading and writing in the home. She may be very bright, but if she has a diary, I'd venture to guess she mostly scribbles in it and draws pictures, makes lists, plays school with it, etc.

And a purse? Most kids in the first grade see it as a 'play' accessory, not something they'd grab before they run out the door, let alone run away. I get that she might be a bit of a latch-key kid, but why carry a purse, as a 7 year old, on top of a backpack?

So I agree with what other posters have said, this, to me, sounds like mom is trying to make it SOUND like she ran away.

But back to backpack (that may or may not exist, I'm just speculating here.) Did someone say, or was it mentioned in an article, that they go straight to the park after getting off the bus? Where's her backpack? (She's got one. My kids are in this school system, it's pretty much a requirement.) The apartment? The playground? Missing?

This makes me wonder if it is a translation issue again. It could be a purse in the traditional sense, and Jorelys does carry one. OR it could be the mis-translated word for her backpack or other bag.

My DD also had a bag that kind of looked like a purse that she carried everywhere for awhile...it held her Gameboy and a couple of games, plus some of her other stuff. She also frequently carried a little book (it was actually an old purse-sized address book that she got at the Dollar Store) that she drew and wrote in. I would never have called it a diary, but again, the translation could be wrong.

If English was the mom's first language I would agree 100%, but I don't think it is so I'm going to cut a little slack here. We have all seen how reporters can screw up quotes, timelines, and witnesses when we're all native speakers; I cannot imagine what it's like with a translator!

Also, we have to remember that the mom may not even be able to read or understand the media reports, so she might not even know to correct information that is wrong.

This story has had so many changes already that I do think it's probably more than just a random abduction, but I can't really say that I'm convinced of anything.

Wow. That sounds like mom DOES know what she's (Jorelys) doing (or being made to do), and she DOES know why they took her (for what purpose.) Which all sounds like she thinks she knows who has her and the creepy things they're into. :waitasec:

I really hope that's not what she meant and that something's getting lost in translation here. Because that just makes me think that mom's mixed up in something illegal, with people she's knows are hinky, and isn't mentioning it because she's more worried about incriminating herself than getting J back. I'm not saying that's what's happening, just that that's what those words call to mind for me. Moo!

I'm getting more uneasy as the day goes on. See more comments from the Canton Patch. I was trying to get someone to elaborate on JR's homelife.....

http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/girl-7-missing#comments_list

Add these to other comments by former neighbors, and the removal of the children, comments by JR's mom, and it sounds a little hinky to me.

They're still saying babysitter, so I guess the teenager is not an older sibling?

I thought I read earlier that the teen babysitter resided in the home with Jorelys and her family. I just assumed that meant sibling, but it could also mean a teen non related to the family living in the home?

Reinhardt College is blocked off, searching an open field.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/...ear-old?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is still a live feed, weird?

What did I miss guys? Was or wasn't there a teen babysitter?

Huh. Looks like a live feed of a helicopter view of the command center/parking lot? Turn the sound down if you're going to watch it!

All reports say a teen babysitter, but no other details regarding her, I don't think. Now it comes out that mom hadn't seen her since she left for work Thursday, as J leaves for school in the mornings before mom gets home from work at 7 am. Oh, and mom noted J's purse and diary were missing.

And there's currently a lot of LE activity at an open field less than a mile from the complex:

Police scouring a Canton apartment complex for any sign of a missing 7-year-old girl have turned their attention on an open field less than a mile away from the girl's home.

11Alive's Duffie Dixon says the field off Reinhardt College Parkway has been blocked off with police tape and there is a lot of activity. Beyond the barrier, there is a large industrial green dumpster and backhoe.

The situation is still developing.

Reinhardt College is blocked off, searching an open field.

Big dumpster in the middle of the field and they have a back hoe. Did they move the dumpster to the field to search it?

I'm getting more uneasy as the day goes on. See more comments from the Canton Patch. I was trying to get someone to elaborate on JR's homelife.....

http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/girl-7-missing#comments_list

Add these to other comments by former neighbors, and the removal of the children, comments by JR's mom, and it sounds a little hinky to me.

The comment by JCT says the Mom doesn't work, though LE said in the presser she works until 7am? I take any comments made on news sites with a grain of salt. If there is any truth to their accusations, I hope they are sharing with LE. JMO.

Huh. Looks like a live feed of a helicopter view of the command center/parking lot? Turn the sound down if you're going to watch it!

All reports say a teen babysitter, but no other details regarding her, I don't think. Now it comes out that mom hadn't seen her since she left for work Thursday, as J leaves for school in the mornings before mom gets home from work at 7 am. Oh, and mom noted J's purse and diary were missing.

And there's currently a lot of LE activity at an open field less than a mile from the complex:

Police scouring a Canton apartment complex for any sign of a missing 7-year-old girl have turned their attention on an open field less than a mile away from the girl's home.

11Alive's Duffie Dixon says the field off Reinhardt College Parkway has been blocked off with police tape and there is a lot of activity. Beyond the barrier, there is a large industrial green dumpster and backhoe.

The situation is still developing.

bbm

I don't get that part. Why wouldn't mom be awake by the time the Jorely get home from school? She gets home at 7 am---can't she sleep until 2 and be able to have Jorely come into their apt. in the afternoon?

jleslie11alive Jennifer Leslie
Canton PD to hold 2pm news conference re: late-breaking developments in search 4 Jorelys Rivera,7. GBI searching dumpster near apt complex

GBI crime scene unit just pulled up to area of dumpster search.

And the feed went off the air.
Never mind... it's back up.

JMO

Watching the live feed on 11 alive - dumpster, commotion, lots of LE, lights on....

I feel sick, and have tears in my eyes, and don't even know what's happening yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member