Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

Me too! I feel so helpless for them. Especially in Lumberton, NC and both Nichols & Dillon, SC. I grew up in Dillon and it is a very poor town. The average HOUSEHOLD income is less than $20K there. Seriously. I've seen so many people I grew up with posting on FB who've lost everything. Their house, their car, their clothes. Many of the roads were completely washed out which has them trapped in their homes with no electricity and no way to leave. All of the gas stations are sold out of gas. It's horrible. The parents of one of my HS friends had THIRTEEN trees fall in their yard! On top of all that, the crime rate in Dillon is atrocious and someone broke into Walmart during the storm and stole all of their guns. (Side note: someone also looted a gun store in Loris SC, which is right outside of Myrtle Beach, and stole over 300 pistols, hunting rifles, and semi-automatic rifles. That is TERRIFYING!)

I seriously have no idea how some of those who were already desperately struggling can recover from this. Deep down, I know that they will eventually... but it just seems really bleak right now. Both Lumberton & Nichols are COMPLETELY under water. Residents had to be evacuated from their homes by boat or helicopter. The devastation is UNREAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omg! 😭 That's so heartbreaking!! I have family in Lumberton! I have yet to get a hold to them. :( Their phones are probably dead. The last I spoke to them their garage was already flooded with 2 foot of water while the storm was still hitting. So worried!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ok JUST got off the phone with my family in Lumberton NC. The flood only reached their 2nd step. My cousin is actually going around helping people and bringing them food and stuff. He's a sweetie. They have water now but not hot water. He has a generator thankfully. He said it is very dangerous in the flooded areas. People driving into the flooded areas and drowning. He said there's a whole parking lot full of cars at one location that is all under water. There are apparently bodies inside but can't get to them until the water recedes. So heartbreaking! Their businesses took a hard beating but FEMA is there and helping .

I am from Dillon also. No power since Saturday. No bath yet! Finally got a hot meal yesterday. But we're alive and no severe damage so far. God bless our town.

Me too! I feel so helpless for them. Especially in Lumberton, NC and both Nichols & Dillon, SC. I grew up in Dillon and it is a very poor town. The average HOUSEHOLD income is less than $20K there. Seriously. I've seen so many people I grew up with posting on FB who've lost everything. Their house, their car, their clothes. Many of the roads were completely washed out which has them trapped in their homes with no electricity and no way to leave. All of the gas stations are sold out of gas. It's horrible. The parents of one of my HS friends had THIRTEEN trees fall in their yard! On top of all that, the crime rate in Dillon is atrocious and someone broke into Walmart during the storm and stole all of their guns. (Side note: someone also looted a gun store in Loris SC, which is right outside of Myrtle Beach, and stole over 300 pistols, hunting rifles, and semi-automatic rifles. That is TERRIFYING!)

I seriously have no idea how some of those who were already desperately struggling can recover from this. Deep down, I know that they will eventually... but it just seems really bleak right now. Both Lumberton & Nichols are COMPLETELY under water. Residents had to be evacuated from their homes by boat or helicopter. The devastation is UNREAL.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

I am from Dillon also. No power since Saturday. No bath yet! Finally got a hot meal yesterday. But we're alive and no severe damage so far. God bless our town.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk
So glad you are ok! Praying for all of you!!!!

Wow. Nicole became an impressive storm!

Ok JUST got off the phone with my family in Lumberton NC. The flood only reached their 2nd step. My cousin is actually going around helping people and bringing them food and stuff. He's a sweetie. They have water now but not hot water. He has a generator thankfully. He said it is very dangerous in the flooded areas. People driving into the flooded areas and drowning. He said there's a whole parking lot full of cars at one location that is all under water. There are apparently bodies inside but can't get to them until the water recedes. So heartbreaking! Their businesses took a hard beating but FEMA is there and helping .

Oh my goodness, that's so good to hear! I'm glad you were able to get in touch with them!!

I read an article yesterday on FB about a guy who was worried about his grandmother because she lives in an area of FL that was hit hard and he couldn't reach her for days. So, not knowing what else to do, he ordered a pizza, had it delivered to her house, and added a note to the driver to make sure she was okay. (I thought that was really cute & a genius way for him to check on her without tying up first responders.)

Wow. Nicole became an impressive storm!Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Didn't she tho! Hey they are mean but Mathew was one handsome impressive storm as well. There is a beauty to them when they are not chain sawing over people!! Amazing entities of nature.I love following them ! Not when all I have to do is look UP!!!

O/T

Potentially 'historic' storms lined up to batter the Northwest

[FONT=&amp]NWS models forecast a 1 in 3 chance that this could be a "worst case scenario leading to a historical windstorm for nearly all of western Washington that would be long remembered."[/FONT]

How biziare is this?

Hurricane-level winds possible in Pacific Northwest

How a Remnant Typhoon Could Bring a Destructive Windstorm to the Pacific Northwest

Starting Thursday, we will enter a period of extraordinarily active weather with the potential for heavy rain, flooding and a highly dangerous windstorm with the potential to be an historic event." Forecasters are saying this storm may rival the 1962 Columbus Day storm in intensity, with air pressure as low as 28.20 inches or 958 mb (this is at the bottom of the scale on home barometers). The '62 storm caused widespread damage through out the northwest.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/us/pac...st-wind-storm/

https://weather.com/science/weather-...yphoon-history

http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/in...storms_li.html

http://www.islandssounder.com/news/396865151.html

Mathew in history books:

Record Longest-Lived Category 4-5 in Eastern Caribbean Matthew's Category 4-plus longevity also set a record for the entire month of October anywhere in the Atlantic Basin, according to Klotzbach.

Record Longest-Lived Category 4-5 in October in the Atlantic BasinSouthernmost Category 5 in Atlantic Basinend a nine-year streak without an Atlantic Basin Category 5 hurricane, but it did so at an unusually far south latitude.first Category 4 landfall in Haiti in 52 years and was only the fourth such Cat. 4 or 5 hurricane to pass near the western Tiburon Peninsula in records

dating to the early 1960s.https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-matthew-records-notables-2016

You know what just hit me. Sommon sense would say now that all power companies need to replensih their emergency stockup why dont they quit with the same ole, stock up on poles that have , I dont know a different bottom - or a taller so that when the are put it they are deeper or something to make them less likely to topple next time.

If we took al the money this is gonna cost, in hurricane prone area they could hire collage kids to keep the stuff away from lines

something different....................

O/T

Potentially 'historic' storms lined up to batter the Northwest

[FONT=&amp]NWS models forecast a 1 in 3 chance that this could be a "worst case scenario leading to a historical windstorm for nearly all of western Washington that would be long remembered."[/FONT]

How biziare is this?

Hurricane-level winds possible in Pacific Northwest

How a Remnant Typhoon Could Bring a Destructive Windstorm to the Pacific Northwest

Starting Thursday, we will enter a period of extraordinarily active weather with the potential for heavy rain, flooding and a highly dangerous windstorm with the potential to be an historic event." Forecasters are saying this storm may rival the 1962 Columbus Day storm in intensity, with air pressure as low as 28.20 inches or 958 mb (this is at the bottom of the scale on home barometers). The '62 storm caused widespread damage through out the northwest.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/us/pac...st-wind-storm/

https://weather.com/science/weather-...yphoon-history

http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/in...storms_li.html

http://www.islandssounder.com/news/396865151.html
[emoji33]

You know what just hit me. Sommon sense would say now that all power companies need to replensih their emergency stockup why dont they quit with the same ole, stock up on poles that have , I dont know a different bottom - or a taller so that when the are put it they are deeper or something to make them less likely to topple next time.

If we took al the money this is gonna cost, in hurricane prone area they could hire collage kids to keep the stuff away from lines

something different....................
Good point!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member