GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We now have some answers:

ABC11 Eyewitness News has learned that Grant and Amanda Hayes were seen at a self storage facility on Glenwood Avenue the night of July 13th
pulled up to the SecurCare Self Storage on July 13th in a SUV that was pulling a U-Haul trailer.
Grant reportedly seemed agitated and was shouting at his wife from the SUV. He seemed annoyed by how long she was taking inside the office.​

[LINK]

The night of the 13th? Did they have the kids in the car? (after 9:30) or just the infant? (went there while LA was taking her boys out to dinner). I wish there was an actual time given so we can figure out if this was before or after the murder.

My sentiments exactly. I found this forum due to interest in this case from knowing GH. (Good work to all involved btw.) I know GH well enough to hope for life instead of the DP for him. His small stature, love of self, artistic spirit... Hell, he's even kinda' purdy!(Big Bertha...) I'm not a negative person by nature, but this truly has me stuck in a corner. I wish the worst for GH, and don't feel the DP would cut it!

Welcome RaleighGD!

I agree that a life sentence for GH in the general population would have him wishing for the DP.

Curious though, based on your acquaintance with GH (and AH maybe?) how do you think the murder and aftermath actually went down, i.e. would you believe him capable of planning and executing all of this with AH only being a passive or forced accomplice or IYO would AH needed to have planned, and motivated/encouraged him?

So assuming she went to GH's apt and never came out alive you can't help but wonder if they had a neutral public meeting place in Raleigh she could still be alive today :(

Unless GH told her "you want to take them to dinner you come get them". If having to choose between going to the apt to get them and not seeing them that night - we all know which option LA would pick. Those boys were her life.

This was either already premeditated in that GH (and maybe AH) had decided to kill LA and were waiting for the right opportunity, or there was a confrontation at the apartment that triggered a fight which resulted in LA's death (in this case would probably still be premeditated IMO).

I am leaning towards premed in advance due to: (1) the FB chat he had w/the friend the day before where GH told this friend he was giving LA custody of the boys and moving back to the VI with AH and the baby -- in order words making the custody appear as a non-issue for the RPD to look at while investigating LA's disappearance which GH planned to carry out shortly, and (2) the fact that GH/AH were going to lose custody of the boys in a month and they knew there was nothing they could do about it.

GH/AH made quite a few mistakes and slips, the biggest one IMO was committing the murder in Raleigh. If they had done it in Wilson or Kinston, LA might still just be a face on a missing poster.

I agree. I'm sure he is capable of killing someone but he doesn't seem to be smart enough to plan anything. Not to mention it was in her best interest for him not to be paying child support! She's the business person of the two. She's also a planner.........think about it.

I think she is a lot more involved than it appears. Going to HER sister's to dump LA's body. How would he know there was a great place with an alligator no less!

I'm also no real sure her sister didn't know what was going on. Regardless of what LE said. She might just be a good liar. I would have known the difference between the smell of human blood and the smell of fish bait or meat! Wouldn't you!

Good post, JeannieC - I think you and Boodles may have it right about AH. I agree -- I don't think GH is terrifically smart -- he may have never had to be. But they're in a tuff spot and he wants his boys... What to do... what to do...

And AH -- I still think he wove a spider's web around her, especially at the beginning, and somehow he beguiled her (what a prize he was, you know) -- but she may have felt threatened by LA somehow, probably having to do with the kids and LA seeing GH "too often." Then she acquired his hate for LA by osmosis and then they started talking about alternatives & how they were gonna be able to get to the VI, etc., etc. So obviously LA had to go since LA was getting more able to start proceedings for custody, etc. And your idea about her being the detail manager of the plan is right-on.

We may never know who actually did The Deed or who hacked her into pieces, but the coolers & the stashing and the dumping in the creek, well yes, it's got to be Mrs. Haze, huh? Yep, you two may just have it right.
icon10.gif

:cow:

We now have some answers:

ABC11 Eyewitness News has learned that Grant and Amanda Hayes were seen at a self storage facility on Glenwood Avenue the night of July 13th
pulled up to the SecurCare Self Storage on July 13th in a SUV that was pulling a U-Haul trailer.
Grant reportedly seemed agitated and was shouting at his wife from the SUV. He seemed annoyed by how long she was taking inside the office.​

[LINK]

The night of the 13th? Did they have the kids in the car? (after 9:30) or just the infant? (went there while LA was taking her boys out to dinner). I wish there was an actual time given so we can figure out if this was before or after the murder.

Does anyone know which storage unit and what time it closes? He could have been yelling at LH because he had to get what he wanted and be back at the apartment in time for LA to return the boys.

Whatever he picked up at the SU was probably used to either kill her or dismember her or both.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9975620/
Investigators also sought warrants for Ackerson's car, records for a credit card belonging to Amanda Hayes and a storage unit at Secure Care Self Storage on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh.
BBM
I wonder what the storage unit was all about....

Me, too. No items were listed on the warrant as being taken from the storage unit -- maybe they cleaned it out & put that in the UHaul too?? I thought, when I heard there was a storage unit, that some evidence might have been stashed there, but apparently not -- or it was there until they hauled it off...
icon5.gif

Does anyone know which storage unit and what time it closes?

Good question! and yes, the answer was there on the website:

6501 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27606

P: 919-679-0009
Office Hours:
Mon-Fri: 9:00AM-6:00PM
Sat: 9:00AM-6:00PM

[LINK]

According to the article linked above, AH walked in to the office to ask for rope. So they must have been there before 6:00? That's weird, because I figured they rented the U-Haul trailer before arriving to the storage (an earlier article stated they rented the trailer shortly after LA went missing).

Me, too. No items were listed on the warrant as being taken from the storage unit -- maybe they cleaned it out & put that in the UHaul too?? I thought, when I heard there was a storage unit, that some evidence might have been stashed there, but apparently not -- or it was there until they hauled it off...
icon5.gif

One thought is that they wanted to avoid purchasing anything incriminating if they already had possession of those items (no paper trail).

It could also be that the storage unit really isn't significant re: the murder itself. Maybe they were just pulling out more stuff to put on craigslist?

[LINK]

According to the article linked above, AH walked in to the office to ask for rope. So they must have been there before 6:00? That's weird, because I figured they rented the U-Haul trailer before arriving to the storage (an earlier article stated they rented the trailer shortly after LA went missing).

I thought it was the storage unit on Glenwood?
would this be it?
7012 Glenwood Avenue Raleigh, NC 27612
919-275-3826
http://www.securcareselfstorage.com/self-storage-locations/north-carolina/

Part of me says since the father is a minister and they run a day care center in Kinston the boys may be fine with them forever. However, another part of me says these same people reared a son who is charged with murder, not to mention the gory-gruesome details, of said murder. It may be more beneficial in the long run if they keep quiet, refuse all interviews, and just maintain a low profile.
And the little boys may have an ultimate better life starting anew in another city with another family who will adopt them into in a normal, loving, all-American household far removed from the stigma of their father's legacy.

BBM

Ditto, East. My thoughts exactly.

They need to get out of Kinston (no fault to Kinston whatsoever). They just need to not be known before they walk through the doors of pre-school, school, church, skating rink, gym, Boy Scout Hut, sports arenas, Little League or soccer field, etc., etc.

[LINK]

An article posted earlier said they had the u-haul at the storage building so I guess they say she went missing between 6 and 9:30. Is that what you think?

I think I read somewhere that LA and GH used to live in the apartment complex where her car was found. There was speculation in that report that perhaps LA didn't know that GH and AH had moved and that they were still living in the same (old) apartment. I haven't read anything about witnesses who saw her entering the current apartment.
I still give major props to the Raleigh Police Dept. for acting fast and smart in this case. They put 2 and 2 together in a darn quick hurry and connected the dots all the way to Texas just in the nick of time. With another day or so in that Texas heat, and the alligator in the creek, I feel as if LA's body parts may have never been found.

BBM -- I agree -- they did jump on this one quickly! I was very impressed with the Chief of Police, Harry Dolan, during the early days of the Kathy Taft (IIRC) murder investigation. Also, a friend of mine is married to a RP and she was very complimentary about him and the way he operates.

Good police work often means the difference between a perfect and a near-perfect crime. In theory, at least, but also in practice, I believe. It's the "perfect" ones we never know about, right?!

Welcome RaleighGD!

I agree that a life sentence for GH in the general population would have him wishing for the DP.

Curious though, based on your acquaintance with GH (and AH maybe?) how do you think the murder and aftermath actually went down, i.e. would you believe him capable of planning and executing all of this with AH only being a passive or forced accomplice or IYO would AH needed to have planned, and motivated/encouraged him?

I've been speculating this quite a bit. It's been a few years since I've spent time with him more than in a bar. Someone mentioned something earlier that stuck with me to the tune of, "...but we all know GH is all talk." Sadly now we know that's not true, but that was highly the consensus when I was around! He had a good side (He did.) and a seemingly bigger mediocre side. But this is out of the ballpark horrible, and back then I would never have guessed... It's why my gut says they fed off each other at least. How and to what extent she was involved (All her? Some her? None her?) I'll have to keep speculating with you.

On the flip side, a few years could put me way off the mark. The threats I've heard about are new to me personally. This could have been him all along. I also don't know AH one bit. I'm really dumbstruck...

Oh BornDem, I'm impatient too with this case. I guess it's a little more 'exotic' than our usual run of the mill murder cases. I hope Boz is first chair in this case, I am still having huge negative feelings toward BH and I know I shouldn't. Came away from the JY trial just wanting to slap some fire into her.
I have said this before and may say it a thousand times before I die but the two lead prosecutors in the CA trial absolutely spoiled me. JA especially--that man was nothing less than brilliant. Actually, I think I'm in love with him :) Judge BP in that case won my heart over very early too. He knows case law like the back of his hand. I just wish Wake County could produce a trio like those three to prosecute each of these domestic murder cases. And it seems the docket is going to always be filled with this type of murder case in Wake County. Just don't know what's wrong with these men who think murder is the easy way out.

Ditto on the major love for Jeff Ashton, Linda Drane-Burdick and Judge Perry!

They know their stuff.

I just cannot wrap my brain around the fact that they so nonchalantly placed ads on Craigslist for things in the apt. during this time (either having just dismembered LA or having her body there). And the baby was there too? God, how horrific...

I agree. I was just thinking about ALL the children being there, in this apt., while this was happening :eek:

It is mind numbing! The baby is only 2 months old, to be for sure she needed to be fed or changed while this was going on.

Did Amanda have to take a break from the dismemberment to care for this baby??? Oh. My. God.

I agree. I was just thinking about ALL the children being there, in this apt., while this was happening :eek:

It is mind numbing! The baby is only 2 months old, to be for sure she needed to be fed or changed while this was going on.

Did Amanda have to take a break from the dismemberment to care for this baby??? Oh. My. God.

Worse than that the little boys were there. The could hear and see things. Maybe that is what AH meant when she said she was just protecting the children. She kept them out of the bathroom........

My sentiments exactly. I found this forum due to interest in this case from knowing GH. (Good work to all involved btw.) I know GH well enough to hope for life instead of the DP for him. His small stature, love of self, artistic spirit... Hell, he's even kinda' purdy!(Big Bertha...) I'm not a negative person by nature, but this truly has me stuck in a corner. I wish the worst for GH, and don't feel the DP would cut it!

...:websleuther:....................................:wagon:.................................:balloons:...

:greetings:..................

Jump on in with us & help us sleuth this one out. That you know GH will be a big help in our discussions, :seeya:

Maybe he'll take advantage of it but I can't see him doing anything but sitting quietly in a corner somewhere strumming his guitar.

Oh he'll be strumming something alright...........just not too sure it will be a guitar!

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Just checked - those hearings are off the calendar now. Next will be the DA announcing they are seeking the death penalty, and then the hearing for that.

Hi Jbr, I'm remembering with Michelle Young how long it took for the State to bring their case to trial - seemingly forever and a day. then having to retry the b@*tard. I hope with Laura's case things move along faster and they get it right the first time. xox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth