LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I'm posting this so late but just got home a little while ago/showered/ate and am literally beyond exhaustion from the searches today.

I went on one private search this morning and then led 2 separate organized search teams into 2 different areas. The 1 o'clock search had about (7) eight person teams that went out into primarily residential areas not far from the Ryan St. location. Each team had certain sectors to cover. The 5 o'clock search there were (7) five person teams and we all went to a very large section of dense/heavily wooded area and a lot of field area with very high vegetation. That area was bordered by Eraste Landry & Ambassador Caffery Roads. I'm not really sure why that particular area was singled out other than the guy coordinating the searches said they had received a lot of calls about the area. All I know is we could have used about 200 people to really thoroughly search that area.

The private search this morning was around the Souvenir Gate/Coliseum Rd area which is the area where my daughter's sorority house is as well as several other sorority/fraternity houses. I know one of the maps posted here on WS (too dog tired to find it right now) showed one of the possible routes she may have been known to use which would have her coming down St. Mary to St. Landry and then coming back up Coliseum. I just can't imagine she'd come that route at night though. One reason, it looked like it would take her "out of her way" when there were quicker routes and two ... even though there were some street lights along Coliseum, there's nothing but a big wide-open field on one side and only one business we saw. It would have been much quicker for her to come down Parkside to Souvenir Gate to Cajun Dome Blvd and then to Congress. We went down Souvenir Gate to get over to the Ryan St. house (base camp now for volunteers/donations) and that road is wall-to-wall houses.

The Ryan St. house is "right off" Congress and to me, it would have made more sense for her to immediately get on Congress rather than taking the "backway" through the residential areas (St. Mary, St. Landry, Souvenir Gate). We were up and down Congress from the Bertrand area up to where the Ryan St. House is several times today and came back down through there tonight after we finished searching that wooded area. We could get a little better sense of the lighting down Congress since it was dark by then and I have to say, even though there are plenty of street lights they are far enough apart to where there were many areas that were still rather dark. That said though, I still can't imagine that no one saw her at all and I really don't think if someone accidentally hit her (& removed her) or she was abducted that someone would have had time to do it. As others have already said, Congress is heavily traveled and has lots and lots of businesses and houses. It's just very, very difficult for me to understand how she and her bike just vanished. Everyone that was on my search teams said the same thing.

LE most likely has their hands REAL full if they are looking closely at the carnival crew. I wasn't looking real closely at that area today other than to note there is a ton of equipment, vehicles and LOTS of mobile type trailers I assume the crews/workers live in while on site.

From looking at 'searched areas map' today, there has been quite a bit of territory covered the past few days. Thing is though, while we were out searching today it just made us all even more aware of how much area there is still yet to be covered just in the immediate Lafayette area. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack especially since no ones seems to know how far she may have gotten between the Ryan St. house and her own home. People are doing what they can search wise but you have to keep in mind, there have been no 'professionals' so to speak involved in coordinating the volunteer searches.

In closing, I have to tell y'all, we were just amazed & overwhelmed by the sheer VOLUMES of items/food/supplies that have been donated so far at the base camp (Ryan St. house). It's just unbelievable. Each time we were at the house today there were just lines of cars driving through dropping off even MORE stuff.

Hoping and praying Mickey will found SOON.

Thank You so much MahMoo, for searching today. I have a question.

It was stated upthread, that the carnival had not yet started when she went missing. Do you know if the workers had already arrived that night?

Thank You so much MahMoo, for searching today. I have a question.

It was stated upthread, that the carnival had not yet started when she went missing. Do you know if the workers had already arrived that night?

No, the carnival has not started yet and was not open to the public tonight when we passed by. I believe it opens tomorrow actually. I'm not sure when they pulled into town to start setting up. No idea how long it takes them to get it set up either but I can tell you from going to it myself in the past as well as passing by today, they have got a lot of equipment/rides and several of those rides are very large and look like they could take a while assembling.

We may be able to find out when they got here by checking some of the local media facebook sites and/or the find Mickey f/b site. I'm sure somebody local has already posted when the carnival crew got into town.

Edited to add: The Cajun Heartland State Fair starts Thurs May 24 and runs thru Sun Jun 3 so they will be in town for a while. http://www.cajundome.com/arena_events.aspx?CalDate=2012-May-01

Sorry I'm posting this so late but just got home a little while ago/showered/ate and am literally beyond exhaustion from the searches today.

<snipped description of search>

Hoping and praying Mickey will found SOON.

Thank you so much for the work you are doing! If I didn't live far away I would definitely be out there searching. As a petite blonde who has cycled at all hours of the day and night for more than three decades (clearly I am no longer young), this case feels very personal.

Riding four miles at 2am makes perfect sense to me. The biggest danger is getting hit by a car. IMO it is extremely rare to be attacked while riding a bicycle (the exception is on isolated trails where, at least in my city, muggers sometimes lie in wait) and there are many neighborhoods I would bicycle through but would never walk in.

I do know of one case in Philadelphia where a young woman was murdered when biking home at night but she was found right away. The total disappearance of both Mickey and her bike is baffling. I continue to pray for her safe return.

This is definitely the right state...and it reports of recent attempted abductions.

I realize this guy has been targeting kids but I also noticed the video at the link shows the intersection of Congress & Bertrand....

Also another reason for my digging on other attempted abductions is because just last night a girl had posted on the Find Mickey FB page that she attended Mickey's candlelight vigil - snuck away to snoop / search around the neighborhood and felt she had been followed by a creepy guy in a black truck...actually another person posted too about being wigged by a creepy guy in a black truck eyeballing people.

http://www.katc.com/news/attempted-...ation-into-similar-incidents/#!prettyPhoto/0/

So I wonder if JR made bond?

I'd like to suggest to locals reading here that would like to help in some way but maybe can't do actual searches ... you can go by the Ryan St. house and pick-up some fliers to post in different areas of the city and outlying areas. They have boxes and boxes of them and lots of duct tape and thumbtacks. If you can't make it to Ryan St. you can still print fliers at home.

I think you'd have to be living under a rock if you live in the Lafayette area and have not become aware of this case by now but I still think the fliers need to be posted in as many areas as possible. We were posting fliers as we were searching today as a matter of fact.

I'm unable to find a date on that article about the attempted kidnappings of children, but if this guy was in custody when Mickey disappeared, it still might be worth it for LE to investigate his truck AND his acquaintances. He can't drive his truck if he's in jail, but one of his creepy friends could, especially if they share the same (gag) "interests".

This is definitely the right state...and it reports of recent attempted abductions.

I realize this guy has been targeting kids but I also noticed the video at the link shows the intersection of Congress & Bertrand....

Also another reason for my digging on other attempted abductions is because just last night a girl had posted on the Find Mickey FB page that she attended Mickey's candlelight vigil - snuck away to snoop / search around the neighborhood and felt she had been followed by a creepy guy in a black truck...actually another person posted too about being wigged by a creepy guy in a black truck eyeballing people.

http://www.katc.com/news/attempted-...ation-into-similar-incidents/#!prettyPhoto/0/

So I wonder if JR made bond?

According to Lafayette Sheriffs arrest site http://jades.lafayettesheriff.com:8888/index.php?nav=list&alpha=R the guy referenced in your link was arrested 5/10/12 and is still incarcerated.

I'm unable to find a date on that article about the attempted kidnappings of children, but if this guy was in custody when Mickey disappeared, it still might be worth it for LE to investigate his truck AND his acquaintances. He can't drive his truck if he's in jail, but one of his creepy friends could, especially if they share the same (gag) "interests".

Hopefully both people writing on the FB page reported their experiences.

ETA: The date on the article is May 10, 2012

The community has to be wondering and waiting on some response from LE to feel they are safe to even let their children out to play. It's very disheartening the main media coverage is to the credit of those searching and offering rewards. Kudos to all of those who are trying to keep this in the news

In the cases I have followed here at WS cell phone pings have been an important clue in helping to discover the last movements of the individual who has gone missing. It has been days now and we have heard not a word from LE on the cell phone.
So many volunteers are out there methodically searching and after this many days and all the effort being put forth I question if LE would just let them search blindly. How long can this community keep up at this amazing pace? If LE/FBI know her phone pinged at Lake Martin for example, would they keep quiet on the phone ping info with all the public searches going on?
Thank you searchers and God Bless Lafayette!
JMO

I've lived in Lafayette just about all my life and am very familiar with the area.

I've also read most of the last thread, if I repeat something forgive me.

My company deals with one of the carny groups that comes through, I'm not sure if this is the group because we don't hear from them until a day or 2 before they leave. If this is our group, the guy that runs it is from Baton Rouge and is a stand up guy, as are most of his people. Not defending them, just from personal dealings these people are working class guys, and alot of them have their families with them. Not saying there isn't a bad apple in the bunch, but that goes for all businesses.

Directly across, to the north, from the fair is UMC. Its the local charity hospital that is patrolled by Sheriff Deputies, these patrols are increased during times when the fairs are in town, mainly to keep people from parking there, but the police presence is there regardless. Hospitals normally have cameras, or so you would think.

I disagree with it being "normal" to see people on bikes at 2 in the morning. When I do see people on bikes at that time, it's normally closer to the interstate off Cameron street and the people riding do not have any reflectors and are wearing darker clothing and I'm usually cursing them for being so stupid.

From what I've read, Mickey made the trip often enough to feel comfortable doing so. Her size, being so small she would look like a minor out past curfew, and would attract the attention of both police and child molesters. But Congress is one of the more traveled roads in Lafayette, and there is an influx of traffic at 2 due to the bars letting out. I think if she made it to Congress then her chances of making it home without harm were greater, than if she were on the back streets behind the dome.

Lafayette is a town where if we see something that isn't right, we're going to step in just to make sure. If someone tried to grab her on congress, someone would have step in, I truly believe that.

I don't think this has anything to do with the missing women in Jennings. All those women had at least one of two things in common, drugs and prostitution. Drugs being something more than pot.

Since Monday morning when I first saw the report I thought something wasn't right. I didn't think she ever went out the back door and got on her bike, but I heard something today that got me thinking in a different direction. I was at a store today around 2pm and was talking to the lady running the counter trying to find out about the what the dogs found or didn't find, knowing that if they were using bloodhounds the chances of picking up Mickey's scent would be very very high. She tells me no word on the dogs but there is a woman who said, earlier on the same night, she was riding her bike in the same area when she noticed a green van that gave her a bad feeling. Just before the girl got to a busier section of the road the van pulled up and blocked her way, then took off like something spooked the van away. The store clerk said all she knew was it was a green van with TN plates, and the girl on the bike was giving her information to police. It's been bothering me since I heard this, I've been following it almost non-stop since.

I have some questions of my own that I didn't see answered earlier:
Did the K-9s find anything? I know they had the dogs out yesterday but there hasn't been any mention of them other than a picture of the Police unit that brought them in.And the van, if the van story is true, then searches need to move more towards the east, northeast in my opinion.

I still think there is something strange with the guy she was with, but if he is in love with her, why let her leave so late after being out and knowing she was worn out from the night they had, and the night before? If she was as tired as he claims she was, would she risk crashing her bike instead of spending the night?

No camera images
No hits from the K-9s
No evidence that she was evening in the area of the bike route
No mention of the green van by media

I don't believe she left Ryan St on her bike, I hope I'm wrong and she just pops up ok.

Wow, thoughtful post, wilkie. The green van incident is indeed disturbing. I'm praying LE is following up on all these tips. Details are still fresh in everyone's minds. Now's the time to glean it all.

I'm also hoping LE or the MSM will at least throw the public a verified bone or two -- even just a small confirmation or two to keep up morale. We're a determined city for sure, but fatigue may set in sooner or later.

Hmm ... I'm thinking now after looking at the fair/carnival company's archived travel schedule that may not even be a viable consideration timing wise. Here's the link http://www.namidway.com/fairs-events/categoriesdetailed/archive.

If you look at the Louisiana, Missisippi & Alabama schedules you'll notice that they had fairs running thru May 20th (which was Sunday) in all three states. I'm just kind of assuming the group that's now in Lafayette is likely one of the groups that traveled LA/MS/AL. With the fairs ending May 20th they would still need time to tear everything down, pack it up and travel to Lafayette and likely didn't get in to town until Monday earliest. I imagine LE knows exactly when they got here though.

That will be a big plus time wise & manpower wise if LE doesn't have to spend time investigating that fair/carnival group.

Mahmoo, are you aware of any searches being done in The Block, that neighborhood across Congress from Ryan, going all the way to the other side of that area over to Cameron? Fields, open areas, deserted houses, a street-by-street canvas?

Great first post, wilkie3. Welcome to Websleuths!

:welcome5:

Keeping the prayers going for Mickey's safe return. :praying:

Welcome to WS Wilkie. Glad to have your input...and I hope the news about the van gets LE's full attention.

:welcome4:

Mahmoo, are you aware of any searches being done in The Block, that neighborhood across Congress from Ryan, going all the way to the other side of that area over to Cameron? Fields, open areas, deserted houses, a street-by-street canvas?

To tell you the truth, when I was looking at the big map where they'd colored in the sectors that had been searched (by volunteers) I was more focused at the time on the particular sector our team was going out to during the 1 pm searches. It did however look like that area across Congress from Ryan St. had been covered. I'm not too good estimating distances based on the map they had up but I'd venture to say at least a 2 mile radius around Ryan had been or was being searched today. I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice how extensively other areas beyond that radius have been searched (such as around the the route(s) she may have taken, around where she lives, etc.). I also don't know if that map included areas 'professional teams' and/or LE may have searched already.

I 'think' there were 7 teams during the 1 o'clock search but, there may have only been 5, it was rather chaotic getting organized and I wasn't really keeping track of the number of teams going out. Anyway, as I said, each team had a sector and it looked to me all of those sectors were in the same general area.

Our sector was boundaried by W. St. Mary, Colonial Dr, Eraste Landry, a small stretch of Cameron, and St. Louis St. We searched the boundary streets as well as all interior streets within the boundaries. We did have a small amount of overlap with at least one of the other search teams because we ran into some of them.

The 5 o'clock search had 7 teams with 5 people to a team and we were all sent to one location which was a huge area to try to cover. We started out in a caravan to the location but I'm thinking some of them got lost or something because it looked like only about 3 teams showed up. I know there were no more than 15 us of total out there. That area was bordered by Eraste Landry, Ambassador Caffery, Gallbert Rd and from Cox Communication bldg. straight back to the tree line at Ambassador.

That wooded area we went to was the only area 'scheduled' to be searched at 5 clock. There were definitely way more people (than the 35 needed) that showed up at Ryan St. volunteering to search. Most of them were not dressed to go into that wooded area. The people spear-heading the searches were telling all the extra people to take a look at the map to see the areas already searched and suggested that they could do their own 'personal searches' if they wanted. I don't really know how, or even if, they were going to try to keep track of the 'personal search' areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam