Rescue at sea for sick baby

Morag

Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...route-sick-toddler-sailboat-article-1.1747110

A U.S. Navy warship reached a crippled sailboat hundreds of miles off the Mexican coast and was preparing Sunday to complete the rescue of a sick 1-year-old girl.

For some reason, this couple thought it was a good idea to take two toddlers on a transpacific voyage on a 36-foot sailboat, even though the baby had been sick with salmonella just before departure. How can you believe that you can keep babies safe and happy on such a trip? Even if you can, with eternal vigilance, prevent them from falling overboard, how can it be anything other than a miserable experience for the kids? Sunburn, seasickness, any random childhood illness, boredom, mechanical problems... This seems very near to child abuse, IMO. The likelihood of something going wrong would seem to be greater than the likelihood of everything going right.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...scue-after-infant-falls-sick/article17845622/

Sailors waited until daylight to move the family from their inoperable sailboat, “Rebel Heart,” which authorities were in the process of sinking Sunday because it was taking on water, Bena said.

Although the family is on board the USN ship now, they won't be on land until mid-week. At a guess, it sounds like the 1-year-old might have scarlet fever, which is contagious and can be quite serious.

When her sister first mentioned plans to sail with two young children, English recalled, “I thought it was nuts.”

But English said the couple was always careful....

“They were not going into this blind. I knew they were doing this wisely,” English said.

How can this have been done wisely? Selfish, careless...

And this in a force 5 gale...

When Cora woke up this morning she asked for some of the treat I was making last night because she had smelled it baking as she fell asleep. I lied and told her we ate it up; all the while, the rest of the cake sat on the counter by the dish rack, just waiting for Eric and I to devour it this evening with a cup of coffee, in silence, once the girls were asleep. Sorry for lying to you, Cora. One day, when you are a parent, you will understand.

Selfish beyond belief.

Lyra and I are having the hardest time sleeping, she because she is so tiny that a single roll of the cabin in one direction could roll her 1.5 times in one direction, and then back the same amount the other way. We finally wedged her baby seat on the port side of the salon table, facing aft, where it couldn’t slide from side to side with the motion of the ocean (isn’t that fun to say?)

Delusional. All she blogs about are her feelings (it's apparently hard to shave your legs at sea, she's seasick, she has her period, she can't wait to get the kids to bed, etc).

For some reason,this whole story makes me unreasonably angry. When my son was 1 year old, we debated about making a 3 hour drive to Vermont because he would be uncomfortable. (But we did, and he was, but he was an excellent little sport about it).

Well, hope they get home safely and the kids are okay, and that they never do this again. And I hope they can't get a book or movie deal.

I will never understand why other rational adults in the lives of these two children did not file for custody upon learning of the plans to put them at such risk. I listened to the sister last night on the news and I kept thinking how much she professed to love them, but stood by and did nothing while they were taken into the middle of the ocean with no plan for an emergency exit other than to have the Navy intervene.

The parents are more than just selfish and should be charged with child neglect. Babies do not belong in the middle of the ocean on a sailboat. The parents planned to cross the ocean so this was not a case of the boat simply getting into trouble and drifting. They put the children in harm's way and almost lost this precious baby.

Nothing like sailing around the world in a sailboat with two toddlers in tow.
:banghead:

I've been just appalled by this story. For all the reasons mentioned above. I just don't know what's wrong with some people!

Those poor kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I have been pondering that this could all be orchestrated for media attention and a book deal. It won't surprise me if it turns out that they deliberately made this child Ill and ruined their boat. IMO

Honestly, I have been pondering that this could all be orchestrated for media attention and a book deal. It won't surprise me if it turns out that they deliberately made this child Ill and ruined their boat. IMO

I had the same thought. Was this trip a ruse so the couple could get attention? Were they seeking attention for reasons other than sailing around the world?
Seriously who sails around the world with 2 little ones?
Something imoo stinks.

She washed dirty diapers in the sink used for food- :banghead:

You can't save fools from themselves. Including these small children in their cockamamie adventure should be criminal child endangerment. At the very least they should pay for the rescue. Jmo

ciao

She washed dirty diapers in the sink used for food- :banghead:

That is really gross! :sick: :puke:

I don't get those parents. Why sail when they are babies. Babies need stability and routine.

And this in a force 5 gale...

When Cora woke up this morning she asked for some of the treat I was making last night because she had smelled it baking as she fell asleep. I lied and told her we ate it up; all the while, the rest of the cake sat on the counter by the dish rack, just waiting for Eric and I to devour it this evening with a cup of coffee, in silence, once the girls were asleep. Sorry for lying to you, Cora. One day, when you are a parent, you will understand.

Selfish beyond belief.

Lyra and I are having the hardest time sleeping, she because she is so tiny that a single roll of the cabin in one direction could roll her 1.5 times in one direction, and then back the same amount the other way. We finally wedged her baby seat on the port side of the salon table, facing aft, where it couldn’t slide from side to side with the motion of the ocean (isn’t that fun to say?)

Delusional. All she blogs about are her feelings (it's apparently hard to shave your legs at sea, she's seasick, she has her period, she can't wait to get the kids to bed, etc).

For some reason,this whole story makes me unreasonably angry. When my son was 1 year old, we debated about making a 3 hour drive to Vermont because he would be uncomfortable. (But we did, and he was, but he was an excellent little sport about it).

Well, hope they get home safely and the kids are okay, and that they never do this again. And I hope they can't get a book or movie deal.

BBM That's funny. I always save the last piece of a treat for my children (when they were at young and at home) and now my hubby. It makes me feel better to see them enjoy it then to eat it myself. :dunno: Different strokes.....and all that jazz.

BBM That's funny. I always save the last piece of a treat for my children (when they were at young and at home) and now my hubby. It makes me feel better to see them enjoy it then to eat it myself. :dunno: Different strokes.....and all that jazz.

I read that on their blog too.
What selfish <modsnip> they are.
:banghead:
I really hope CPS checks out their home!

&#8220;The Whole Thing Is Nuts&#8221;: Family Lambasts Boat Trip With Sick Baby

"I saw this coming. I saw the potential for every bit of it,&#8221; said Charlotte&#8217;s brother James Moriset. &#8220;I'm just glad they're alive and my little niece is being taken care of, which is cool.&#8221;

James told NBC 7 he believes the whole trip was nuts from the beginning.
&#8220;I don&#8217;t understand what they were thinking to begin with. I&#8217;m sorry, I don&#8217;t even like to take my kids in a car ride that would be too dangerous, and it&#8217;s like taking them out into the big ocean? It&#8217;s like &#8211; I don&#8217;t know,&#8221; said James.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...at-Sickened-Baby-253984811.html#ixzz2yAyWc2T1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back