Malicious Ad and/or site redirect !!!

Our tech guy Dave gave me the information below. Since I do not speak high tech geek I can tell you, in short, it says Websleuths is a safe website.

Somebody says webroot gave a warning, lets see what webroot says about websleuthshttp://www.brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php you will have to enter websleuths.com in the first box and the Captcha code in the second.
reputation index = 92 (higher is better)
Infections (past 12 months) No

Real Time Intelligence Analysis
No Threats Found
Trustworthy

Lets check google, somebody said they got a warning on an apple, research shows the wording of the warning to have come from the safari browser. Safari uses Google safe sitehttps://www.google.com/transparencyreport/safebrowsing/diagnostic/?hl=en#url=websleuths.com
Current status: Not dangerous
Safe Browsing has not recently seen malicious content on websleuths.com.

I go to webmaster tools of Google, same thing.

Let me clarify-

I do not believe that websleuths.com has been hacked. I do believe that the ads that are being served up contain malware. These ads are not directly hosted on web sleuths.com so they won't flag security issues or show evidence of hacked site code and websleuths will come up clean.

It's true that some people may have inadvertantly downloaded ad injection malware if they've downloaded shareware or games etc. but that's not what's happening to me. I don't download anything ever. This is happening when I try to browse websleuths via two entirely different Macs with two different operating systems and software installations and using three different browsers. Webseluths is *the only* site I visit where I have this issue. I research online quite a bit and work with site development (I am not a net security pro though!) so I spend a lot of time online but this is the only place I've had this problem. (to be fair, this is the only large web bulletin site I visit so I can't guarantee this wouldn't be happening on other sites as large as this with as many hosted ads).

My best guess given my background and interest in these things (again with the caveat that web security is not my thing or skill set but I do know something about it and have attended a few hacker conferences) I believe that the company or companies that web sleuths has contracted with for their ads are either themselves compromised or knowingly allowing malicious adware and malware to be served up. Clearing all cookies, disallowing pop-ups and most importantly *completely disallowing flash* and other plug-ins is the only thing that stops the issues, at least on a desktop browser. It's definitely looking like coming from the ads and not from malicious code in the web sleuths site files.

View attachment 103930

I had been getting redirects for about a week. It only happens on Webslueths. When I would click on Forums or a particular thread I'd get a redirect. I too have one many prizes this week. Finally after dozens of redirects - I played along and filled out the required info "for my prize" all false of course and blindly answered the survey and that seemed to be the end of the redirects as of Sunday. I wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone doing this - I did because I wasn't concerned about a virus on my iPad.

If it happens again I'll follow Tricia's instructions and start a new thread. I happened to get a screen shot of my last redirect.

I get the same redirect.

While I had been getting the redirect only on Websleuths and only via Safari, I just got it on Google and wasn't in Websleuths. I've downloaded a Safari blocker and so far, here on Websleuths, I haven't had a problem yet.

Marble, I agree. I'm not techie but my husband is a computer analyst. He says the same. It only happens on Websleuths. I use Safari. It always happens to me on my iPhone and iPad. There are so many ads and many have videos that are activated without clicking. My husband believes that it's malware attached to ads and you don't even have to click on the link. He's been in the business for umpteen years working IT for a large hospital.

Let me clarify-

I do not believe that websleuths.com has been hacked. I do believe that the ads that are being served up contain malware. These ads are not directly hosted on web sleuths.com so they won't flag security issues or show evidence of hacked site code and websleuths will come up clean.

It's true that some people may have inadvertantly downloaded ad injection malware if they've downloaded shareware or games etc. but that's not what's happening to me. I don't download anything ever. This is happening when I try to browse websleuths via two entirely different Macs with two different operating systems and software installations and using three different browsers. Webseluths is *the only* site I visit where I have this issue. I research online quite a bit and work with site development (I am not a net security pro though!) so I spend a lot of time online but this is the only place I've had this problem. (to be fair, this is the only large web bulletin site I visit so I can't guarantee this wouldn't be happening on other sites as large as this with as many hosted ads).

My best guess given my background and interest in these things (again with the caveat that web security is not my thing or skill set but I do know something about it and have attended a few hacker conferences) I believe that the company or companies that web sleuths has contracted with for their ads are either themselves compromised or knowingly allowing malicious adware and malware to be served up. Clearing all cookies, disallowing pop-ups and most importantly *completely disallowing flash* and other plug-ins is the only thing that stops the issues, at least on a desktop browser. It's definitely looking like coming from the ads and not from malicious code in the web sleuths site files.

Let me clarify-

Agreed. I've been experiencing the "You're a winner!" pop ups on my iPad, whether I use Safari, Chrome or Firefox to browse.

Same here. My IPad has been selected to win a prize. In history, I noticed the message refers to to genuisespro.com.

In addition, getting the... website has encountered problem and page being reloaded.

One of these actions are happening about every 3-4 pages on Ross Harris thread for last couple of weeks. I've cleared safari, reset network settings to no avail. This is only happening when viewing Websleuths using safari on iPad. Frustrating!

Please, this is me BEGGING. We can't do ANYTHING unless we have some information. Please click on the link below to find out exactly how to report this issue.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?320186-Please-Read-New-Way-of-Reporting-Re-Directs

While Websleuths is proud to be one of the top (some would say the very top) true crime discussion forums on the Internet we are a small private company.

We rely on Volunteers to help out. Because we are not a huge coorperate entity we rely on you to help us track down any problems.

Please read the link and follow the instructions so we can fix this issue.

Thanks,
Tricia

Am I the only one experiencing this? And thanks Tricia for giving us homeless a home lol. :blowkiss:

Screenshot (3).jpg

I was just coming to post this... 1/4 of my screen is now ads along the right hand side. grrrrrr!

Is this the 'new look' of WS? I'm not crazy about it. :gaah:

I keep getting one of those site redirects that state my computer has been blocked and i have to call "microsoft" to unblock it. It's a scam. And a virus. It has popped up on my phone and two computers when going onto websleuths, so it is not me.

I keep getting one of those site redirects that state my computer has been blocked and i have to call "microsoft" to unblock it. It's a scam. And a virus. It has popped up on my phone and two computers when going onto websleuths, so it is not me.

Am I correct that this just started in the last couple of hours?

Am I correct that this just started in the last couple of hours?

It's happened to me on 2 forums so far today. Faith/Kira Kitchens, Penn State Frat death and it got me yesterday once, I think on the Faith T/Kya Kitchen one also. Todays totally knocked my computer down and i had to restart a few times... still not working right.

My pc was doing that all day yesterday anytime I clicked to go into a thread. :( So far so good today, but I am on my phone on Tapatalk.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hope this is the right place to put this. This happened to me once yesterday, and again just a few minutes ago. (And a few other times recently that I did not document). when I hit "Post Quick Reply" I get the following page and it will not let me go back ... I have to close the unwanted page and I lose my WS page and have to reopen. (This does not happen if I use an ad-block, but only when I do not. And I am using an IPadPro)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 102
I keep winning an iPad !! Seriously it's getting to be annoying to the point I'm not on here as much as I like. I may leave websleuths altogether if this can't be fixed. I tried to go onto the other forum about pop up ads, but I can't get on. It was to the point that I was getting these pop ups 3-4 times as I try to get on here. So I log out, tun off my phone, wait a little while and turn it on again, try Websleuths again, ad pops up. Rinse and repeat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back