MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where the site that was searched fairly recently (I think it was nicknamed "Creepy College") is located in relationship to DB's apartment and the river? Just wondering if it is in between. Maybe she was taken there then put in the river after dark. IIRC this creepy college was a place where POIs hung out.

Also, if MJ was moving out that day, I wonder how many things he had to move? He must have been a very busy boy to move and cover this up (if he did). Do we know if he had a trailer to move his stuff? If it was a rented trailer or moving truck (Penske, UHaul, etc.) I wonder if they have any GPS equipment that can be looked at. I remember reading that rental cars do so that if you leave the area you are approved to travel to they know and will charge you more. Probably less likely with a trailer versus a truck.

RIP Phylicia - Praying for your families.

The creepy college is west of Baltimore. The river is northeast.

One other thing to add about this theory... the stairs up to the creepy college are narrow and steep. I think it would have been out of the question, because I think they had to try and dump her as far away as possible, and in a frozen/freezing river they figured she wouldn't be found until spring if she was found at all.

Its highly possible, however its also possible that the current of the water and the condition of the bodies (bloating) that the clothes were torn/fell off in the water.

The problem LE is probably facing in linking the two, is the difficulty in determining time of death. On a good note, they maybe able to scientifically look at the current and flow of the river around the time she went missing and get a rough estimate of how far she could have traveled. This could give LE an idea of where she may have been placed in the water.

Laci Peterson was in the S.F. Bay for approximately 4 months and her body, as torn apart as it was, still had clothing shreds on it.

However, conditions in the water where PB was found might be totally different, more turbulent than the Bay, etc.

Or else the bodies are unrelated and whoever did each crime stripped their victim.

Sad ending, but not unexpected. Please let the murderer be caught.

I am so sorry to hear that they have found Phylicia, at least there is some sort of closure for the family.

We have been up here in MD for about two weeks (in the process of moving) and are 16 miles from where Phylicia was found. It makes me wonder if the perp was familar with the area, as it is very rural.

http://www.examiner.com/domestic-crimes-in-national/phylicia-barnes-press-conference-video
(video of complete presser, finally found)

Colonel Sheridan, MSP-
Good evening and thanks for coming here today. With me today is as Mr. Shipley pointed out, Commissioner. Fred Beifeld, BPD Colr Dean Plamare, Chief of Detectives for BPD Maj Ron Culison commander criminal investigations for MSP. And Lt Crl Pete Landon, our Chief of field operations bureau. (unsure of spelling of names)
Just after 7:30 yesterday morning, two troupers were crossing the Conowingo dam on route one when they were flagged down by persons at the dam who indicated there was a body floating in the water of the S. River. The body was spotted on the Hartford county side of the river. Later that morning about 10 am Nat. Res. police dept officers were able to remove the body of a female from the water. After an on scene examination by police and forensic investigators, the body was taken to the office of the chief medical examiner in B’more city. While the investigation was continuing, another body was reported below the dam, that would be to the east of the dam, abut 3-4 miles away. That second body was recovered about 2 pm the same day, yesterday. These were boaters who spotted that. The natural resources police dept. officers recovered that body also. Both bodies were found unclothed. The distance between the locations of the bodies was about 3-4 miles Autopsies were conducted on both bodies today at the office of the chief medical examiner. Drs used dental records to positively identify the body of 16 yr. old Phylicia Barnes this afternoon. The cause and manner of death of Ms. Barnes is still pending. The medical examiner is conducting further tests and forensic examinations. The male has not been identified, his cause and manner of death has not been determined. But the medical examiners indicated he is a black male, 6’4” and 240 pounds. MSP homicide unit investigators notified police throughout the region about the recovered bodies. We are now working with BPD homicide detectives and the ongoing investigation they had with Phylicia Barnes. BPD detectives responded to the scene at the S. R. Dam again working with the MSP. We are now collocated with the BPD on the 5th floor of their headquarters building in Bmore. There will be full cooperation between the departments-- the MSP homicide investigators and the BPD homicide unit. This is not the first time we have investigated crimes together. We work together on tasks forces on guns, warrants, and gangs. There is no concern about us and the cooperation that is going on. Our mission today of course is to find out what occurred in these situations with Ms. Barnes and the unidentified male that was recovered at the same time. With that I will turn this over to Commissioner Fred Beifeld from BPD.

Commissioner Fred Beifeld, BPD-

Thank you Colonel Sheridan. First of all, I want to on behalf of not just of the BPD, but I know I speak for C. Sheridan and all of the sate of MD in extending our deepest condolences to the Sallis and Barnes families. All of us, all of us, since that fateful day in Dec, have been hoping and praying for a different outcome. Unfortunately we are here today. As you know from the very beginning, from Dec. 28t of last year, when young Phylicia Barnes went missing, we have drawn on the resources of federal, state, and local partners to try to bring this case to closure. We have worked closely during that time with the MSP. So detectives and our partners were very intimate in our efforts. We are going to continue to work as hard now as we have worked all those days since Dec. 28th. . Our goal simply is to bring closure to Phylicia Barnes’ family and figure out what happened and hold those who are responsible accountable. Thank you.

Questions?
Reporter- Asks question about how big this discovery is.
Commissioner Fred Beifeld, BPD-- It is certainly big, but again we are now at stage one of a new phase of the investigation. There is a lot of work now that needs to be done, as the Colonel said. They just did a preliminary autopsy today. There is a mountain of investigative work that needs to be done.

R- asks question about if body has been in water since Dec. 28th.
Colonel Sheridan As the commissioner pointed out, Phylicia Barnes went missing Dec. 28th of last year. Remember, the S. R is a cold running river, it is 200 miles long. We have had a cold winter. When you put a body in a cold body of water, it will stay pretty much in tact for a long time. It is only when the heat from surrounding environment gets into the body that we see a difference, or changes in the body The medical examiner has indicated to us that it is not out of the realm of possibility that the body could have been there since Dec. 28.

R- asks about injury to body, wounds.
Colonel Sheridan There is no indication of any overt wounds or injuries to PB’s body.

R- asks about connections between the two bodies.
Colonel Sheridan Other than their being the same river, 4 miles apart, and being found on the same day, there is no indication of any connection.

R- asks questions about signs of sexual abuse
Colonel Sheridan That will all come later a the autopsy, examination, and analysis of tissues and such go on. There is nothing to indicate that right now.

R- asks question about identifying the male body
Colonel Sheridan Yes, We have gotten fingerprints from that body and are running them through our automated ID system in MD and the FBI criminal investigation’s center for analysis (the other body).

R-asks question that I can’t hear. I think something about how finding the body changes the case.
Commissioner Fred Beifeld-- I want to say again and I will say as often as possible, all of us obviously, all of us…I don’t’ think you are excluded, prayed for a different outcome to this case. But finding her body is really going to be instrumental in giving us an opportunity to bring closure to the family. Without it, it would have been an incredibly difficult case, but now this gives investigators an opportunity.

R-asks question can’t hear.
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- Again, We are at the very beginning of this phase of the investigation.

R- asks about the 45 mile distance from B’more and the investigation.
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- If you… I know all of you reported extensively about our efforts. We didn’t limit the scope of our efforts to B’more city. Most of you covered our efforts in P. park. We worked through national networks to get her story attention across the country. I believe there were foreign language stations that picked up this story. We didn’t limit our search to Bmore, we didn’t limit our search to the state of MD. We set out a nationwide net to find out what happened to Ms. Barnes.

R- There isn’t a lot of access to that part of the river. Are you looking at those areas? (question is about the two departments working together effectively)
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- We wouldn’t exclude anything. By way of demonstrated effort since Dec. 28th, not just the BPD, but everyone associated, they have given it their best effort. I am entirely confident. As the Colonel said, we have a fantastic working relationship. Our detectives work together now, and in the past, and I am confident of the results we are going to get.

R-Have you spoken to the parents? How did that go?
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- Well It was horrible. It is the last news you want to hear as a mother. It is the last bit of news they ever wanted to hear. So it is just a very very difficult situation for everyone invovled.

Reporter- I know a couple of the searches were motivated by information from the 30 POI’s detectives spoke to. Did any of those POI’s share with you about dumping the body in a large body of water or that the body would be found in water?
Commissioner Fred Beifeld-I wouldn’t comment about that kind of specific information

R-Do you think it still remains within the 30 POI’s?
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- It is just way to early to say. It’s way to early to say.

R- Resources—I know you put a lot of manpower behind the search. Is there going to be the same amount of resources given to finding out what happened?
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- Testament to these men and Colonel Sheriden’s resolve, in picking this thing up and moving forward. we have already set up a system to integrate their detectives with our detectives, so there is a seamless work being done to again bring this case to closure.

R- Do you believe this was a homicide?
Commissioner Fred Beifeld- I would not speculate further, we do not have a final ruling from the chief medical examiner.

Reporter-Asks about locations of where vehicles could access the river.
Colonel Sheridan We haven’t gotten to that stage of it yet. They are plotting out Searches and such in the area where the body was found. And of course the second body, and Upstream also. A lot of debri and stuff that gets into the river has been washed downstream and into the Chesapeake bay. But we are looking for it, searching, plotting out.

R- Was anything found on the bodies?
Colonel Sheridan Nothing was found on the bodies or attached to the bodies when we recovered them from the water.

R-Is it possible the body found below the dam was put into the R upriver?
Colonel Sheridan Yes, it could have been. We are waiting now to talk to some smart people about those things. Taking the time frames the commissioner has talked about and taking a look at that.We are not going to spare any expense in finding out what happened to these two people. it is going to take a lot of work As the commissioner pointed out, We have put our two groups together. We have about a dozen investigators currently with the Bmore PD getting oriented to the case and learning all they can about it. The BPD has lived with this for 4 months. We’ve had it for a little over 24 hours.

R- asks question about body and river, can’t hear it
Colonel Sheridan -May have. It may have. If you Look at that river, how fast it is moving when they open the flood gates up….All sorts of things could have happened.

R-asks question about cause of death.
Colonel Sheridan -It would be conjecture on anything any of us said about that. We will have to wait for the forensic results and the investigators to tell us those kind of things.

R- question about when will results be in from the autopsies
Colonel Sheridan - Some tests the medical examiner’s office does will take weeks. They can’t be done over night. It is a very critical phase of the investigation, the phase the medical examiner is conducting. We need that information to determine cause of death. So if someone is responsible for the death of these people, we want to be sure we have all the possible evidence we can.

R- Was there any indication from the beginning that this was Phylicia?
Colonel Sheridan -There was a tattoo, and that got everybody’s attention. From that tattoo that was located on the lower extremity, the investigation went further.
Thank you very much.

Prayers for the family.
Phylicia will be going home.
G-d bless you sweet girl.

On one of the news articles (I can't find it now) in the comments section, someone said that two people went over in a canoe upriver, and that the body of the man could be one of them.
I can't confirm this, but it may be a lead.

I was thinking that maybe he was there fishing as well, and LE are trying to connect the stories. I just don't think any information that we have discussed leaves any room for someone else to have been killed with her?
Unless this person is a drug dealer or some sort of monster, that neither MJ's nor DB's families wants to speak about? But that doesn't make sense either?

So I am believing that he was someone that fell out of a boat.

I was thinking about how she got there also. Here is one theory:

If she were already deceased at the apartment, then maybe she was put in a suitcase and transported out of the apartment and dumped in the river. If her body has been inside the suitcase for awhile, it may have protected it somewhat from the rocks, etc., on the bottom of the river. It may have been the suitcase and not her that was weighted down. So the rocks and other debris may have eventually ripped the suitcase open, allowing her body to float to the top. Oh how I hated writing that...:(

Because of rigor mortis, LE (well, the ME) should be able to tell if something like this happened. I feel that she either walked or was helped to walk out of the apartment, or her body was concealed some way. I don't think someone carried her body in plain site out of there. Remember MJ was doing laundry and supposedly still moving out. The moving part doesn't make sense to me since DB at one point said she was surprised that he was even there that day.

I am thinking that they took her clothing off, so that there would be no evidence, DNA. So this leads me to continue to believe that this was a sex crime and she was raped. They may have given her drugs and then threw her in the river/dam. Therefore no injuries, and not clothing.
I hope its not too late to tell if there were any drugs in her body and if they were what kind (date rape)?

Absolutely!

I wonder how the POI's now feel about tweeting about their "ride to the mountains" and laughing about falling "out the boat" @ the same time of PB's tragic disappearance.

Were these clowns foolish enough to document the crime on social media?!

We are watching and JUSTICE is waiting, GUILTY.

Love to PB and the Sallis Family

As I have said on this blog all alone, MJ has told you half truths and half lies.
Its like he thinks of this entire ordeal as game of hide and seek?
Some criminals have a mindset of that nature, and he appears to fit.
You never know they could have taken her to that site, and raped her there ant then dumped her?

I don't think it will be long before LE pieces this crime together and some arrest begin.

As I have said on this blog all alone, MJ has told you half truths and half lies.
Its like he thinks of this entire ordeal as game of hide and seek?
Some criminals have a mindset of that nature, and he appears to fit.
You never know they could have taken her to that site, and raped her there ant then dumped her?

I don't think it will be long before LE pieces this crime together and some arrest begin.

I keep thinking about how cold it was then. And that area is pretty desolate.

I am also remembering posts made by Guardian Angels indicating that the search of the well was no random tip, and that the POI's moved PB once, but they'd find her. So was she put in the well first, and then moved to the river? Was the river frozen solid that time of year? If so, the POI's would have needed to cut a hole, or wait for a thaw?

My sister and I were the youngest out of 10. Anytime that my mother allowed my older siblings to keep us, they knew never to leave us alone nor with any of their friends.

Even when I was a teenager and went to visit my sister out of town, I was never left alone with her boyfriend, especially in her apt. During the time that she had a live in BF, I most certainly was not allowed to stay with her unless she was there with me the entire time.

I am so frustrated right now with DB's actions? WHY????
I know I am not suppose to be feel this way and not judge, but I just can't help but ask WHY, and WHAT? was she thinking?????
Its like MJ and his crew knew that all they had to do was set the trap and DB lead PB right to it?
I am also angry that KB didn't go by the apt. as planned. I know I need to just pray for the entire family, and that KB and DB already have enough pain dealing with the guilt of this entire situation. I would not want to be in their shoes, and this will be with them for the rest of their lives.
I will continue to pray for the entire family, Sallis, and Barnes.
The Johnson's as well, because they are in for a rude awakening if not already?

I am also remembering posts made by Guardian Angels indicating that the search of the well was no random tip, and that the POI's moved PB once, but they'd find her. So was she put in the well first, and then moved to the river? Was the river frozen solid that time of year? If so, the POI's would have needed to cut a hole, or wait for a thaw?

I live in the DC area and I don't think that river would stay frozen all winter. Probably freezes with really cold weather and even then not something you could walk on, kwim?

That's right, I forgot about the well. This most likely was the first place they put her, and then decided to take her to the river, because they had went there on the 28th and knew it was possible.
The fishing trip on the 28th most likely was to create a good alibi?
Or maybe they attempted to dump her body at the river on the 28th, but couldn't find the right opportunity and had to put her in the well until they could get back to the river.

This makes me so mad just thinking about all of this.
I know that soon and very soon, they will be charged and we will know
exactly what happen to this beautiful child.

Interesting...

Laci Peterson--missing December 24 (into cold SF Bay)
found April 13 (after water warms up)

Phylicia has the exact same timeline. Her body came up with the warming waters.

Maybe it was a car accident, and Phylicia and the guy she was with both died and are now resurfacing.

If so, I hope she was on a date and not abducted or harmed. Maybe she snuck out to meet him and didn't tell her stepsister her plans like teens will sometimes do.

But why wouldn't the man have been reported missing? Was his family from a different city and hadn't heard from him in a long time? Was he involved in drug culture, etc...so, no "friends" reported him missing?

I just really hope it was a simple car accident, whoever the man is...

I hope she wasn't hurt in anyway beforehand...

Interesting...

Laci Peterson--missing December 24 (into cold SF Bay)
found April 13 (after water warms up)

Phylicia has the exact same timeline. Her body came up with the warming waters.

Maybe it was a car accident, and Phylicia and the guy she was with both died and are now resurfacing.

If so, I hope she was on a date and not abducted or harmed. Maybe she snuck out to meet him and didn't tell her stepsister her plans like teens will sometimes do.

But why wouldn't the man have been reported missing? Was his family from a different city and hadn't heard from him in a long time? Was he involved in drug culture, etc...so, no "friends" reported him missing?

I just really hope it was a simple car accident, whoever the man is...

I hope she wasn't hurt in anyway beforehand...

I was wondering about a car accident on or near that dam .... but with the bodies four miles apart, and on opposite sides of the dam - I'm thinking the two bodies are unrelated.

I think Phyllicia ended up (unknowingly) at an evil home, where she was endangered.

Thanks georgiajean...

I'm guessing this rules out the obvious stab wounds, gun shot wounds, blunt force trauma wounds. Leaves strangulation/asphyxiation?

Without knowing the actual condition of the body (if there was no tissue on the skull, for example, they wouldn't know if there was blunt force trauma?)...I would say drugs or drowning. Hate to say it, but she could have been put into the well or the river to drown. Awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member