*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
July 2nd the shooter bought some of his gear online from a tactical gear company per Anderson's show on CNN.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he was failing. He was voluntarily withdrawing.
I don't know if he was failing- but he wasn't doing well:

A poor last semester
The Washington Post reported that a neuroscience faculty member at Colorado who said he taught Holmes said he immediately thought of Holmes when he heard that a student was accused of the shooting. The faculty member said Holmes was “very quiet, strangely quiet in class” and seemed “socially off.”
Holmes did very poorly on his comprehensive exams last semester, the instructor told the Post, and the school was considering placing him on academic probation, but was not considering expulsion.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...ping-out-of-neuroscience-graduate-school?lite

I don't know if he was failing- but he wasn't doing well:

A poor last semester
The Washington Post reported that a neuroscience faculty member at Colorado who said he taught Holmes said he immediately thought of Holmes when he heard that a student was accused of the shooting. The faculty member said Holmes was “very quiet, strangely quiet in class” and seemed “socially off.”
Holmes did very poorly on his comprehensive exams last semester, the instructor told the Post, and the school was considering placing him on academic probation, but was not considering expulsion.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...ping-out-of-neuroscience-graduate-school?lite
Well maybe it was that computer game he was supposedly playing for hours at a time. When would he have time to study?

a PhD candidate who sat in classes with titles such as “Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders.”
He was known as a very quiet young man, introverted but pleasant. Holmes, 24, had shown scholarly promise in the recent past. He’d earned a merit scholarship out of high school in a sunny San Diego suburb. He had graduated from college with honors. From there, he’d gone to graduate school at the University of Colorado at Denver.

And then something changed. By this spring, Holmes had begun to struggle with poor test scores. He eventually decided to quit school.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/james...ado-shooting/2012/07/20/gJQA213UyW_story.html

Well maybe it was that computer game he was supposedly playing for hours at a time. When would he have time to study?

If he graduated with highest honors on his Master's Degree , he will be able to pull this PHD too - things changed recently and that has to be discovered.

He could have been blowing up his credit cards. Especially if he knew he wasn't going to be a free man much longer his spending didn't matter on those cards. And also his parents probably do have a little bit of money. From what I understand they lives in a nice area.

BBM.

As I posted earlier, I live in the same neighborhood. It is a nice area, and the section where they live has larger and newer houses than the section I live in, which has humbler houses like my own.

That being said, however, I was shocked to read relatively recently (like maybe in the last six months or so) that a full 30% of houses in this zip code are underwater. Despite the fact that property values consistently remain high in comparison with other areas because it falls within the prestigious Poway schools system.

I have no idea what the Holmes family's finances are, but given the vagaries of the real estate market around here, the fact that they live in this nice area does not necessarily mean that their finances are equally nice.

I hope that makes sense. I'm kind of tired.

I haven't heard anyone suggesting that he exhibited any sort of mental health issues.
So I fail to see how better mental health care would have solved anything.
Isn't gun control a much more obvious solution to that sort of problem? Which seems to be a regular occurrence nowdays?

You think this is not mental issues? Who in their right mind do this?

A federal gun control in USA should be implemented but the Internet is too open and anybody wants to make money and will sell anything over the net.

You think this is not mental issues? Who in their right mind do this?

A federal gun control in USA should be implemented but the Internet is too open and anybody wants to make money and will sell anything over the net.

Since it appears nobody suspected he had any sort of mental health issues, how do you propose mental health care would have changed anything?

One of our local San Diego media outlets still had listed the name of the street where the shooter lived, growing up. Anyway, I took a virtual cruise down that street and easily matched up the house with the picture of the parents house widely circulated in the media.

I noticed that in the google maps picture, there is a white sporty-looking car sitting in front of the house. So I googled for pics of the suspect's car... and sure enough, it's the same car! Per google maps, the pic was taken in Feb 2011. I guess he probably lived at home after graduating from college but before starting his PhD program in fall 2011.

Anyway, it was kinda creepy to see it. I don't know if I'm supposed to post the parents' address here, though.

I think somehow, his education/study got into his head.

He is studying this :

Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders
NRSC 7614 - Spring 2012

Department of Psychiatry and Neuroscience Program

Jason Tregellas, PhD, Course Director

These suggested reading materials are an educational resource for UCD faculty and students taking NRSC 7614, a course offered at UCSOM during the spring in even-numbered years.

Alzheimer's D​isease, by Christopher Filley, MD

Alzheimer's disease. Cummings JL. N Engl J Med. 2004 Jul 1;351(1):56-67

Alzheimer's disease. Querfurth HW, LaFerla FM. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jan 28;362(4):329-44. ​

Multiple Sclerosis, by Timothy Vollmer, M.D.
​
Cognitive reserve

Demyelination, Inflammation, and Neurodegeneration in Multiple Sclerosis Deep Gray Matter

Evidence for progressive gray matter loss in patients with relapsingremitting MS

Inflammation, demyelination, and degeneration — Recent insights from MS pathology

Pathophysiology of implammation and tissue injury in ms What ar the targets for therapy​
Traumatic Brain Injury, by David Arciniegas, M.D.

Movement Disorders, by Al Anderson, M.D.

Substance Abuse, by Nancy Zahniser, Ph.D.

Depression, by Christopher Schneck, M.D.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...nterdepttraining/NRSC7614/Pages/NRSC7614.aspx

Since it appears nobody suspected he had any sort of mental health issues, how do you propose mental health care would have changed anything?

I cant propose anything.
He needs to be checked medically first and the right Mental Health expert can explain his problem and possible solutions.
Mental Health is a wide area.
Some doesnt even have any cure at all :)

Too premature DevA, I'll watch -

Will see where this sort of thing leads..
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/newsnation/48261893/#48261893

shadowraiths
Shadow Catcher Join Date: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMSHood
The Mumbai Attack should be a wake up call that Al-Qaeda can carry a terrorist attack like that.

What is particularly troubling about this case, outside of the obvious (innocents were murdered), is the fact that this guy may have made/received a call to/from someone prior to the attack. ( link, see 1 minute mark ) If he actually made contact with someone, it would be so easy to ditch the phone during the ensuing panic... a phone that could have been a burner phone, and thereby not even be registered to him, making it tough for LE to sort out.

<snipped by jbean for emphasis>

Anyway, it was kinda creepy to see it. I don't know if I'm supposed to post the parents' address here, though.
nopey nope.
Let's leave the parents out of this for now. They are also victims of this tragedy and deserve privacy and respect.

Yeah that phone call bothers me too.....

Could have been no one on the other end but it's just that little doubt in my head that worries......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAGEWITHRAGE