Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 4 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet he calls up the media and gives them statements. Seems he's more worried about what the public thinks about him than finding his missing wife. Wonder why that is?

I agree Doug's conduct isn't exactly what I would do.

However, they were estranged and living apart in separate states. So it's not like this is the loving couple next door and suddenly husband clams up.

And his statements to the media aren't going to carry the weight in court that his statements to the police in the course of an investigation would, if those statements to the media would even be allowed into evidence by the judge.

Ah, ok. But once someone is under arrest, there's no saying "nah, I'm not even going to listen to your questions", correct?

That is, once under arrest, the police can conduct an interrogation--they can make you sit and listen to their questions. You can have a lawyer present and you can refuse to answer any questions, but you can't deny the police the opportunity to sit you in a room and sit across from you and ask questions, is that true?

No, not really. You can listen as long as you want, but, unless you're charged with a crime, you're free to go at any time.

Again, they were estranged and living apart in separate states. So it's not like this is the loving couple next door and suddenly husband clams up.

And his statements to the media aren't going to carry the weight in court that his statements to the police in the course of an investigation would, if those statements to the media would even be allowed into evidence by the judge.

Sigh...

I'm only trying to demonstrate the mindset of this guy. He IS estranged from his wife, but she is the mother of his children. He is refusing to cooperate with police and he's done nothing to assist in finding her.

While you may wish to argue process and jurisprudence, I'm saying that common sense leads to an obvious conclusion. One would have to avoid all of the facts so far in this case to see anyone but Doug being the one responsible for his wife's disappearance.

MOO.

Also, I imagine Doug got an earful from his attorney about keeping his mouth shut after going around him to make those statements directly to the media. The attorney should drop him as a client if he does it again.

One would have to avoid all of the facts so far in this case to see anyone but Doug being the one responsible for his wife's disappearance.

Exactly, I agree. which is why I want the guy arrested and the police to interrogate him about her whereabouts. : )

Exactly, I agree. which is why I want the guy arrested and the police to interrogate him about her whereabouts. : )

They can interrogate and ask questions of him all day long. Under the constitution, he doesn't have to answer any of them. He has the right to remain silent.

Also, I imagine Doug got an earful from his attorney about keeping his mouth shut after going around him to make those statements directly to the media. The attorney should drop him as a client if he does it again.

He just made statements day before yesterday.

On Thursday night, Douglas Stewart called Newschannel 3. He said he wouldn't go on camera without his attorney's blessing, but he did give us a statement.

He said, “I am back in Michigan, I am home. There's nothing back in Virginia that's more important than what's going on here and my children.”

Stewart also said that if the police want him to turn himself in, all they need to do is ask. He doesn't however think that will happen, and says he has faith in the justice system.

snipped from: http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376492-bottom-mother.html

Just for the record, the part of the house where the abduction takes place has no windows. Here is a picture showing the back of the house.
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...tewart/?action=view&current=vsparentshome.jpg
W/thanks to AmandaReckonwith

ETA
I just looked at the photo again, and the woodpile doesn't look like it would afford much cover. Does anyone know of any other pics of it, or if it is higher than just a few feet tall? TIA

They can interrogate and ask questions of him all day long. Under the constitution, he doesn't have to answer any of them. He has the right to remain silent.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But that doesn't mean the police can't gleam any further information from the process of asking questions, presenting Doug with pieces of evidence and gauging his reaction to those questions and the evidence (esp the Wal-Mart tape, presuming the police have that by now). And it doesn't mean that it wouldn't have an impact on Doug's state of mind or behavior if he were to be arrested,charged and formally interrogated. who knows, maybe he gives something away in the process, something that assists the police in finding Venus, alive or otherwise.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But that doesn't mean the police can't gleam any further information from the process of asking questions, presenting Doug with pieces of evidence and gauging his reaction to those questions and the evidence (esp the Wal-Mart tape, presuming the police have that by now). And it doesn't mean that it wouldn't have an impact on Doug's state of mind or behavior if he were to be arrested,charged and formally interrogated. who knows, maybe he gives something away in the process, something that assists the police in finding Venus, alive or otherwise.

I'm sorry that I'm having difficulty in understanding this...and I'm not asking this to be a meanie...

What are you trying to say? What is the point that you're arguing?

that's an odd location for a mailbox. ; )

Actually, that is the property looking from behind the woodpile where Larry theorizes Doug was possibly hiding.

wider view:
vsmccombhome.jpg

Pufnstuf has a property map that shows the mailbox at the end of the driveway. This^ view isn't the same driveway.

Here's the view from mailbox to house.
vsdriveway.jpg

007-1.jpg

The pic spamelope linked shows there are no windows, since the front of the home is built to overlook the river.

I added a bunch of search pics from yesterday also:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Venus Stewart/

You said that's the back of the house and it appears to be such.

According to this photo and text, the mailbox at that house is located where most mailboxes are: in the front of the home:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...Venus Stewart/?action=view&current=NGblog.jpg

No, most mailboxes are located on the road on which their 911 address is located, whether that be the front, back, or side of the home.

The McCombs' home faces a shared property line with no access. The only access to their property is from Driftwood Drive, which is where the mailbox is located.

Actually, that is the property looking from behind the woodpile where Larry theorizes Doug was possibly hiding.

thanks, yeah, that makes more sense. So the locals think Doug himself made the trek up from Virginia to do this? Interesting if that's the case.

Just for the record, the part of the house where the abduction takes place has no windows. Here is a picture showing the back of the house.
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...tewart/?action=view&current=vsparentshome.jpg
W/thanks to AmandaReckonwith

ETA
I just looked at the photo again, and the woodpile doesn't look like it would afford much cover. Does anyone know of any other pics of it, or if it is higher than just a few feet tall? TIA

It's really hard to tell in some of the pics, but the area is heavily wooded.

My guess is that he (whoever he may be) surprised her at the mailbox. She ran back to the house, and he overpowered her at the propane tank. Who the heck knows...maybe it was a camo tarp and he hid under/behind it... I dunno.

Personally, I think if I were DS, and I were innocent, I would want to be arrested and exonerated rather than live with the suspicion of killing my partner hanging over my head indefinitely.
Recently, there was a party here with underage drinking. The cops hauled my 17 yr old in for questioning. They were very nice to her when I was there, but she said when they had her alone, one of the cops was a rude jerk. They can and DO lie in the course of the investigation. They would have had me believing it, but they picked the wrong place to say she got booze. She told me that if they wanted to talk to her again, she wanted a lawyer, even if she had to pay for it herself.

Ah, ok. But once someone is under arrest, there's no saying "nah, I'm not even going to listen to your questions", correct?

That is, once under arrest, the police can conduct an interrogation--they can make you sit and listen to their questions. You can have a lawyer present and you can refuse to answer any questions, but you can't deny the police the opportunity to sit you in a room and sit across from you and ask questions, is that true?

I'm envisioning a bunch of cops sitting around an interrogation room - well, some pacing back and forth - firing off questions, waving around evidence, and just generally acting like buffoons while wasting taxpayer dollars, perhaps occasionally acting out a charade or two for the other cops to guess, while the subject and their attorney sit there playing backgammon with headphones on. Someone should paint that - one of those paintings with dogs as the people.

It's really hard to tell in some of the pics, but the area is heavily wooded.

My guess is that he (whoever he may be) surprised her at the mailbox. She ran back to the house, and he overpowered her at the propane tank. Who the heck knows...maybe it was a camo tarp and he hid under/behind it... I dunno.

That kinda bizarre, dude's just chillin' by the woodpile, waiting for her to come out of the house alone? What happens if one of the parents or the older kid wanders out there to play before Venus comes out by herself? or someone else happens by and sees this dude crouched down behind a cord of wood. "hey there, neighbor, watcha doin?" "oh, playing an early game of hide-and-seek before work. don't give me away!"

Maybe he was in the nearby tree line, hiding in the woods or down by the river (maybe pretending to fish or something) and then moved up to the wood pile when he saw her come out to the mailbox and then did a mad dash to cut her off before she got back inside.

If he was hiding out in the woods for a while, the police should be able to find some signs of that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member