Woman Gives Birth To Octuplets In California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly don't think she had all toese kids just for money's sake. That said, I can't blame her for trying to take money where she can get it in order for her to raise them.

Still, she can't win for losing probably - if she tried to get money to talk about her story, she's a gold-digger. If she doesn't try to get money to talk about her story, it's pretty obvious she will have to rely in some form on taxpayers and she will be called a sponge.

I'm willing to reserve my judgment until I hear more details about all of this. A large part of me just wants to assume she's mentally ill, but I would like to hear much more before I form my opinion. Lots of mixed feelings in me on this case.

I really think that she was just wanting one more kid. But then she found out that 7 implanted and didn't want to abort. Now she's probably realizing that she made a huge mistake in wanting just one more and implanting 8... and now she's at the spot where she has to find a way to support all the kids on her own.

She made a huge mistake... I agree. But she's got to make lemonade out of the lemons and even if these kids were a "mistake" they are still children... they are still meant to be loved... they still have a purpose in this life.

I wonder if she will still be "obsessed" with children when they all reach puberty lol

"The mother of the longest-living octuplets in the U.S. is being deluged with offers for book deals, TV shows and other business proposals, but has not decided what she might do other than care for her children, her newly hired spokeswoman said Monday.

Hundreds of requests have been made since Nadya Suleman gave birth to six boys and two girls a week ago, said Joann Killeen, president of Killeen Furtney Group, a public relations company.

"She's the most sought after mom in the world right now," Killeen said. "Everyone wants to talk to her."

Some of the deals and requests for interviews involve offers to pay, said Killeen and her partner, Mike Furtney. They didn't reveal the amounts being offered, but Killeen noted that raising eight babies will be expensive, adding that Suleman plans to carefully review her financial opportunities.

The spokeswoman discounted some published reports that Suleman had already decided to host a television show on parenting. But she added that Suleman does want to eventually tell her story to the world.
"As soon as she's able, she will tell her story, and it's an amazing story," she said.

Suleman retained the Killeen Furtney Group to represent her last Friday. Furtney said the company, which normally handles corporate clients and crisis public relations, was referred to her by the hospital."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/01/30/national/a214200S49.DTL&tsp=1

Sounds like there will be alot of welfare and state subsidies coming their way. I bet that was this mother's intention. If they are living in a run down house, then how did this woman afford to pay for fertility drugs or IVF? My husband and I did one cycle of IVF and it was $10K. I find something VERY strange about this situation. Almost sounds like a commune or family just having baby after baby for state money and welfare. Now IF they have a HUGE house (and the man says no one will ever find them) kind of makes you wonder who makes the money, why do they own a huge house in the middle of nowhere and what makes them think no one will ever find them? Something is NOT RIGHT about this story if they have all these kids, live in a run down house, has 6 other kids and she lives with her parents. No way she can work. SO who is supporting them?
I read she's counting on Pampers endorsements and becoming some sort of child counselor. Disgusting that she would even attempt fertility treatments already having 6 kids, when some of us have major trouble even having one! GRRRR!

I hope the media doesn't glorify her and play into this ploy. Considering everything in the US right now this amounts to fraud. IMO. She couldn't have implanted them herself so there is some kind of co-conspirator. I hope no one pays her a dime. For sure, I won't buy any magazines that exploits this story nor will I watch any programs that does the same. Maybe it will be like the consumer...saving and not buying.

I hope the media doesn't glorify her and play into this ploy. Considering everything in the US right now this amounts to fraud. IMO. She couldn't have implanted them herself so there is some kind of co-conspirator. I hope no one pays her a dime. For sure, I won't buy any magazines that exploits this story nor will I watch any programs that does the same. Maybe it will be like the consumer...saving and not buying.

I agree completely, CP, and i won't be watching or buying anything that has to do with the woman and her brood, either.
She's a fraud using college loans to pay for it to begin with. Ridiculous. Selfish. She goes to school while her parents take care of her first 6 children. Now there's 8 more. She gives no thought to the future. She may love children, yet there are so many ways of helping children such as being a kindergarten teacher (she should have listened to her mother), volunteering work to help children with needs or are needy. This woman claims to love children, adopting children yet how is having 14 children with her parents taking care of them truly loving them? She won't have time to give each child much needed attention; one of them is autistic. It seems the woman may be obsessed with having children and just that. Maybe she likes the attention pregnant women and women who've just had babies get. She seems to fail to realize the long term ramifications of all her babies.

There is NO way that this woman is qualified to give anyone in the world any kind of parenting advice, and she most certainly would be the LAST person anyone would want as a child counselor. I hope, too, that no one pays her a single dime for an interview. This is so wrong in so many ways, and no news station that deserves any kind of respect should ever allow her to use her poor children as pawns to make money for herself.

You are right - there are many unanswereds here - from the woman'd mental state to the decisions of the doctor to implant so many.

I have a question for my pro-lifer friends. It sounds like the drs wanted her to thin out some of the fetuses, but she wouldn't. I am assuming that is a prolife stance and was interested in y'all thoughts on the subject.

So many ethical considerations raised here.

I don't think this case is the one to test a pro-life stance. It seems clear to me that this woman planned to have multiple multiples given the comments of her mother in the press, the $$$ in the eyes, and the alleged decision to delay prenatal care until the 12 week mark....It seems to me by delaying treatment she didn't give them the chance to advocate selective reduction at the earliest stage in the pregnancy.

I think it's too much a coincidence to have a Biblical sized lab error in a woman this obsessed with babies (three sets of twins all by IVF and not stopping the procedures, despite lack of husband or visible means of support)...I think it's more likely she bought or conned someone to make this occur. I also wonder if it's possible she divided her frozen embryos between two clinics and had them both do a transfer, each not knowing about the other.

I believe Nadya's mother said that she had 8 embryos left from the sperm donor and knowingly had all eight implanted. The sperm donor was unaware and is upset. I'm prolife, and I'd never have selective removal if more than two or three implanted, but I'd also never take that chance in the first place. Nadya sounds like a very mentally ill woman. She had absolutely no respect for her parents or the sperm donor. I can see someone who has a good job having up to six kids if the grandparents don't have to take over, but to risk having so many. Why did she even let them develop so many embryos if she is such a prolifer. I wonder if she ever lost any at all during all the processes with all the kids.

I agree completely, CP, and i won't be watching or buying anything that has to do with the woman and her brood, either.
She's a fraud using college loans to pay for it to begin with. Ridiculous. Selfish. She goes to school while her parents take care of her first 6 children. Now there's 8 more. She gives no thought to the future. She may love children, yet there are so many ways of helping children such as being a kindergarten teacher (she should have listened to her mother), volunteering work to help children with needs or are needy. This woman claims to love children, adopting children yet how is having 14 children with her parents taking care of them truly loving them? She won't have time to give each child much needed attention; one of them is autistic. It seems the woman may be obsessed with having children and just that. Maybe she likes the attention pregnant women and women who've just had babies get. She seems to fail to realize the long term ramifications of all her babies.

FWIW, I heard this evening that she used funds from a 'disability claim,' (or lawsuit) for a 'work related' injury, to pay for the procedure.

I guess the taxpayers or ????????..........will be paying the rest of the bill (ie birth and 18 - 22 years up-keep).

I also recently saw a program, where the woman had multiple births, four or more, and the sad state her body was in afterwards. A plastic surgeon donated his time, etc., to remove the excess she'd accumulated in the mid-section. Bet she hasn't even thought of that part,...........or has she?

fran

It is one thing for companies to come out and and want to help families after a multiple birthing has happened... but it is a whole other venue when someone like this mother adds on a price tag, and expects to get free stuff from companies like Pampers. Can we say: self-entitlement attitude, much?

last night on the news (cnn)it was saying she did not have 8 implanted...she had far less but they divided (as in twins) and became 8....they had a dr. on there stating it was possible that happened...very rare but it does happen
she also was not trying for 8 babies! so if the above is true it wold have been normal for the dr. to implant 3 or 4 embryos at one time.
look at jon and kate plus 8...they had a set of twins, Kate wanted just one more...and they got sextuplets!

last night on the news (cnn)it was saying she did not have 8 implanted...she had far less but they divided (as in twins) and became 8....they had a dr. on there stating it was possible that happened...very rare but it does happen
she also was not trying for 8 babies! so if the above is true it wold have been normal for the dr. to implant 3 or 4 embryos at one time.
look at jon and kate plus 8...they had a set of twins, Kate wanted just one more...and they got sextuplets!

Until I hear from the doctor who did the implantation, I will be very suspicious that 3 or 4 split into 8. I was watching CNN last night, and that wasn't claimed as fact....it was more of a supposition to protect reproductive medicine as an industry from being involved in such a thing (high order multiples via IVF).

John and Kate didn't do IVF, she did IUI....They hyperstimulate the mom's ovaries and inseminate...That is a crap shoot for multiples because anything that fertilizes can implant. The doctors have no control over either process (fertilization or implantation).

There is no way on earth that they multiplied like that. I might buy 1 embryo splitting into twins, but 4? She will have to produce 4 sets of identical twins for me to believe this.
Does any one know if her other twins were identical?

One thing is for sure, she will get millions for her story - that is a given. Right or Wrong, we are all interested in hearing from her.

If I was in her situation regarding the 8 fetuses alone, no, I would not abort them.

However, I would not, if I were a single woman (especially if I already had 6 kids), be getting the fetuses implanted by myself... in fact, I wouldn't be seeking to have children without being married anyways...

But in regards to the pro-life aspect, I can understand why she would not want to abort the babies.
I a pro life and I would never even consider selective reduction. But because of that i would never have more embryos implanted than I could carry.

I a pro life and I would never even consider selective reduction. But because of that i would never have more embryos implanted than I could carry.

I feel pretty much the same as you.

If Nadya (sp) had been injured on the job and receiving compensation, how in the hell was she physically able to count on her body taking her through any pregnancy (let alone a pregnancy of several embryos)?

This situation is so odd to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member