CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody! :seeya: Nancy Grace is going to talk about Hassani tonight.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hUXzIn-qwIqEY9RjeTeHqMRo83PgD9A27VI80

Dropping the kids with Campbell is a family routine, Ross said. When he opened the rear passenger door for Hasanni, he said, the boy was unbuckling his seat belt.

"I said, 'Hasanni, go wait by the back door,' and he had already taken a first step out of the car," Ross said.

Ross said he grabbed Hasanni's sister and went to the front of the store and told Campbell to open the back door. He then went back to the parking lot.

"When I got to back there (Campbell) was already there. She says to me, 'Where's Hasanni?'" Ross said. "I said, 'What do you mean?' I look to see if he's standing along by the car, but he's not."
I haven't heard his actual interview yet, but is this now the "official version" of what happened? Just curious since it seems different from other reports. I'm also curious about her not wanting to take that "stressful" LDT. What's stressful about the truth? :waitasec: MOO

I apologize if any of these have been posted....I just woke up from taking an afternoon nap after not getting much sleep last night! :wink:

Search for missing 5-year-old boy intensifies
Thursday, August 13, 2009 | 5:07 PM
<snipped>
The Oakland homicide division is now involved in the search for 5-year-old Hasanni Campbell who has been missing since Monday. Police say it is because they need the additional personnel, and not because they consider it a murder case. A wrecking yard was the latest focus of their investigation.

The focus of the search returned to the Rockridge area Thursday afternoon. Police sent 30 officers back into the neighborhood to visit homes and businesses they may have missed in the past couple days.

He has taken a polygraph but he didn't tell me what the results were, but he did tell me he spoke truthfully, answered all questions, but I haven't spoken to anyone about it," said attorney John Burris.

Police will not confirm whether Ross took or passed the polygraph.

ABC7 News has learned that detectives have visited an auto salvage yard in Hayward over the past two days. Employees there say Ross was there before the boy disappeared on Monday, and that the boy waited in the car while Ross searched the yard for car parts. Police confirm that they have been searching in that area as well as many others. They have also searched a levee behind the salvage yard.

Police have clarified that the boy is disabled, but does not wear leg braces, but instead wears orthotics inside his shoes. He is able to walk, although with some difficulty.

VIDEO: Search for missing 5-year-old boy intensifies
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6964325

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6964246
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Police Go Door-To-Door In Search For East Bay Boy
Aug 13, 2009 5:14 pm US/Pacific
<snipped>
Oakland police officers will be going door-to-door in the city's Rockridge neighborhood until the sun goes down today to search for information on the disappearance of a 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy, police Sgt. Ray Backman said.

Backman said that there are about 300 homes and businesses in the area at which no one has been available to talk.

"We're going to go back out there, and the goal is maybe some of those people that weren't there, we can get a hold of," he said. "We're really trying to make sure that we're doing a really thorough canvas of the area."

Backman said a homicide detective has been assigned to the case along with eight special victims units.

"We're going to explore any and all possible outcomes of the case," he said.
Louis Ross and Jennifer Campbell, the foster parents of Hasanni, have been cooperating with the investigation, Backman said.

The FBI has joined Oakland police in the search.

"We're pretty much in our holding pattern right now," Backman said. "During daylight hours we're going to continue to canvas and search. We'll scale back the search at nighttime, and resume it again at daylight."

Article:
http://cbs5.com/local/oakland.missing.boy.2.1127861.html
VIDEO: Missing E. Bay Boy's Foster Dad Speaks Out
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=54010@kpix.dayport.com
Oakland homicide detective joins search for missing Fremont boy
Updated: 08/13/2009 05:05:54 PM PDT
<snipped>
An Oakland homicide detective has joined the search for Hassani Campbell, the 5-year-old disabled Fremont boy who was reported missing Monday afternoon, police said.

The move comes the day after Louis Ross, the boy's foster father, took a polygraph test. Ross has declined to discuss the results.

"All I know is he told me he answered all the questions truthfully," said Oakland civil rights attorney John Burris, who is advising Ross and the boy's foster mother, Jennifer Campbell. "I called him, and that's what he told me."

Burris has not been formally retained by Ross.

"I don't think (he) needs an attorney," Burris said today. Campbell has declined to take a polygraph test because she is six months pregnant and is worried the test could harm her unborn baby, Burris said. She has not hired an attorney either.

Also today, Oakland police returned to Rockridge, trying to talk to people who have not been at home or at work on previous search attempts. A CHP helicopter in the air and police on the ground searched Coyote Hills Regional Park in Fremont, but what if anything was found is not known.

Campbell did not talk to reporters Wednesday but did show a different photo of the boy after emerging from upstairs.

No independent witnesses have come forward to report seeing the boy Monday in Oakland, police said. Some in the Rockridge area said they haven't seen the boy since last week. A few neighbors on Roxie Terrance in Fremont, where the family lives, said they have never seen the boy in the nine months he's lived there.

Ross and Campbell have been caring for the boy because the boy's biological mother, who lives in San Francisco, has drug and health problems, authorities said. Police have spoken to both the mother, Shemika L. Campbell, and the biological father, Ronald Hughes, also of San Francisco, but have not released details about those talks.

Article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_13052778?nclick_check=1
FBI, police search Fremont home, park for boy
Posted: 08/13/2009 02:26:02 PM PDT
<snipped>
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and local police agencies searched a Roxie Terrace home Tuesday for clues in the disappearance of a 5-year-old Fremont boy.

Police also searched Karl Nordvik Park on Commerce Drive Wednesday morning, as well as nearby areas.

Police said there was no information leading them to believe the missing boy, Hassani Campbell, is at the park or in the surrounding area. The search is being done as a precautionary measure since he lives nearby.

The park is about a mile north from the two-story home where the missing boy lives with aunt Jennifer Campbell and her fianc&#381;, Louis Ross, and two cousins.

Police and police dogs canvassed the Rockridge area Monday night, and several dozen police in cars, on bicycles and on foot continued the search Tuesday. Investigators also interviewed registered sex offenders living in the area, a routine procedure when a child disappears.

Authorities said Ross and Campbell have been cooperative but could be brought in for additional questioning.

An Oakland homicide investigator has been assigned to the case full time, according to Oakland police Sgt. Raymond Buckman.

Article:
http://www.fremontbulletin.com/ci_13054524
Foster Dad Pleads for Safe Return of Missing Boy
Published: August 13, 2009
Filed at 5:29 p.m. ET
<snipped>
The tearful foster father of a missing 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy said Thursday he believes the child was kidnapped and pleaded for his safe return.

His foster father, Louis Ross, the last known person to see Hasanni, said the boy disappeared after he briefly left him outside his car in the rear parking lot of a shoe store where Ross' fiancee, Jennifer Campbell, works.

Ross said he went to the store's front entrance to ask Campbell to open the back door, but when he returned to the parking lot, Hasanni was gone.

''It has been nonstop,'' Oakland police Sgt. Ray Backman said. ''Given that it's a 5-year-old boy, time is a critical factor for us.''

The boy is still considered a missing person, not a kidnap victim, Backman said. Investigators were working with no significant clues and a limited amount of tips, he said.

''There's always that possibility he will be found,'' the sergeant said.

Ross said his family was cooperating with authorities, although he felt police believed he and Campbell did something wrong.

Ross has taken a polygraph test, but Campbell declined because she is six months pregnant and worried about any adverse effects.

Ross declined to discuss the results of his test.

The couple, who also have custody of Hasanni's year-old sister, were seeking advice from John Burris, a civil rights attorney.

Burris said they were surprised about being the focus of the investigation. Their house was searched and Hasanni's sister was taken from them and placed in protective custody, he said.

''What I told them is their boy is missing and that you have to cooperate, assuming that you did nothing wrong,'' Burris said. ''I told them, you were the last ones who saw him, so they are going to come to you.''

Backman said he understood the family was going through a trying time.

''A lot of the questions that we have to ask during the course of investigation are very intrusive because we want to explore all possibilities, however remote they might be,'' Backman said. ''We're trying to be as delicate as we can.''

He disappeared after Ross pulled his BMW into a rear parking lot behind the shoe store with Hasanni and his infant sister onboard. Ross said he was heading for an orientation at Stanford University Medical Center in Palo Alto and then to his twice-weekly medical assistant class in Fremont.

Dropping the kids with Campbell is a family routine, Ross said. When he opened the rear passenger door for Hasanni, he said, the boy was unbuckling his seat belt.

''I said, 'Hasanni, go wait by the back door,' and he had already taken a first step out of the car,'' Ross said.

Ross said he grabbed Hasanni's sister and went to the front of the store and told Campbell to open the back door. He then went back to the parking lot.

''When I got to back there (Campbell) was already there. She says to me, 'Where's Hasanni?''' Ross said. ''I said, 'What do you mean?' I look to see if he's standing along by the car, but he's not.''

Article:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/08/13/us/AP-US-Missing-Boy.html

:angel:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hUXzIn-qwIqEY9RjeTeHqMRo83PgD9A27VI80

"I said, 'Hasanni, go wait by the back door,' and he had already taken a first step out of the car," Ross said.

"When I got to back there (Campbell) was already there. She says to me, 'Where's Hasanni?'" Ross said. "I said, 'What do you mean?' I look to see if he's standing along by the car, but he's not."

"And then he ran to his car to call 911"?????.......... .... *if this was a "family routine", and *if this happened as told, then wouldn't it have made more sense to use the cell phone in the BMW to call the Foster Mom inside the store after you've parked the car and ask her to unlock the door in back prior to removing the kids from the car? :waitasec:

But then again - after viewing the FD's video..... my head is telling me that the story he is telling probably did not happen. Yes, he seems educated and well spoken, however, his body language is *very telling.......which is making my heart hurt........

hey guys the foster father is on Nancy Grace right now. Just wanted to tell you. If you have just missed him tune in again 10 and he will be on the last half the of the show.

From AWC's post, above ......
"ABC7 News has learned that detectives have visited an auto salvage yard in Hayward over the past two days. Employees there say Ross was there before the boy disappeared on Monday, and that the boy waited in the car while Ross searched the yard for car parts."

Ross left these two children in the car while he dug around in the junk yard. A five year old and an 18 month old? I think I'm going to be sick. He's a responsible parent...b*llsh*t.
BUT....at the very least we finally have an independent witness who can say that this child was in fact alive Monday!

Clipped from the Associated press Post # 340...bolded by me...

He disappeared after Ross pulled his BMW into a rear parking lot behind the shoe store with Hasanni and his infant sister onboard. Ross said he was heading for an orientation at Stanford University Medical Center in Palo Alto and then to his twice-weekly medical assistant class in Fremont.

Dropping the kids with Campbell is a family routine,

Ross said he and Campbell asked her co-worker if he had seen Hasanni.

A couple questions:

Ross grabs an 18mo baby - walks to the front of the store to tell Campbell to open the back door for little Hasanni. (he drives a BMW but has no cell phone?)

Ross tells 5yo Hasanni to, who has already unbuckled his seat belt and stepped outside the car, go wait by the back door....(why did Ross expect the child to be in the car after he told Husanni to go wait by the back door? Ross calls dropping off Hasanni a 'family affair' and something that they do all the time...so why all the confusion? Seems to me they would have worked out the details of this trip)

What type of orientation at Stanford Med. Center was he going to?

Teaches medical assistants? What does he teach them?

My opinion: He sounds arrogant, self absorbed, and would be quick to call the police 'unfair'. MHO!

I thought he was learning how to be a medical assistant, rather than teaching medical assistants.

I'm not taking Ross' side, but I wonder if he had to carry diapers and baby equipment in addition to Hassani and his sister, and that is why he would have left him in the alley? Still it doesn't make sense, none of his versions of what happened make sense. If Hassani could walk then why couldn't he grab onto Ross' hand, or a diaper bag(while Ross carried it) and walk into the store with them?

I also get the feeling that he would indeed be quick to call the police "unfair".

"ABC7 News has learned that detectives have visited an auto salvage yard in Hayward over the past two days. Employees there say Ross was there before the boy disappeared on Monday, and that the boy waited in the car while Ross searched the yard for car parts."

Ross left these two children in the car while he dug around in the junk yard. A five year old and an 18 month old? I think I'm going to be sick. He's a responsible parent...b*llsh*t.
BUT....at the very least we finally have an independent witness who can say that this child was in fact alive Monday!

I'm stunned!

"And then he ran to his car to call 911"?????.......... .... *if this was a "family routine", and *if this happened as told, then wouldn't it have made more sense to use the cell phone in the BMW to call the Foster Mom inside the store after you've parked the car and ask her to unlock the door in back prior to removing the kids from the car? :waitasec:

But then again - after viewing the FD's video..... my head is telling me that the story he is telling probably did not happen. Yes, he seems educated and well spoken, however, his body language is *very telling.......which is making my heart hurt........
I know ~ this is making less sense every minute ~ especially after seeing the photos of the area the car was parked in. Windows looking down on the alley that was right by a busy street. Who would've taken Hassani from there in just a couple of minutes? And where could Hassani have disappeared to? :waitasec: MOO

I wonder if they actually seen the little boy, or if the BF told them he was leaving them in the car? Like setting up an alibi? Do they have another vehicle? if not why in the HE!! would he be at a junk yard looking for parts for a new beamer? Wonder if LE took the dogs to search there. Hate to say it but there's a chance he could've put his little body in the trunk of a junk car.

I wonder if they actually seen the little boy, or if the BF told them he was leaving them in the car? Like setting up an alibi? Do they have another vehicle? if not why in the HE!! would he be at a junk yard looking for parts for a new beamer? Wonder if LE took the dogs to search there. Hate to say it but there's a chance he could've put his little body in the trunk of a junk car.
Sadly I was thinking the same thing ~ LE needs to get dogs out to the salvage yard. Another thing though, if his search for car parts was legitimate, maybe that BMW isn't in as good condition as we've thought. A lot of cars like that come really cheap through police auctions and whatnot. MOO

You're right - this is reprehensible.......if he left them like this, no telling how many other times it was just too much trouble to take them out of the car......:furious:.....but at least we do have this witness as to Monday - and that's something, to be sure!

Well. now the real story starts coming out. So Ross was at an auto parts salvage business and thought nothing of leaving a 5 year old and a 19 month old alone in the vehicle?

This guy has has too many inconsistances in his story already. I do not like his demeanor at all. I just finished watching him on NG.

Ross had better be sure that there is no buzzer by the back door of the store and if there is, that he had never used it in the past. I have never known of a store NOT having a buzzer for delievery purposes.

Also, if Ross had been poking around in a salvage yard, wouldn't he have gotten a little dirty or dusty? Seems as if he would run home for a shower before going to class/appointment. Wonder what kind of part he was looking for at the salvage yard?

I have absolutely no idea what happened to little Hassani, but one thing I firmly do believe is that Ross had something to do with it. JMO.

Little Hassani is such a precious little guy and hopefully he will be located soon. Poor little guy.

Does anyone know if there are any bodies of water nearby? TIA

Also, why did Ross pop the trunk and leave it open? I must have missed the reason behind this.

You're right - this is reprehensible.......if he left them like this, no telling how many other times it was just too much trouble to take them out of the car......:furious:.....but at least we do have this witness as to Monday - and that's something, to be sure!
I'm confused if the employees actually saw Hassani or did LR just say he was in the car? And where did he park in relation to the "parts" he was looking at?

I'm confused if the employees actually saw Hassani or did LR just say he was in the car? And where did he park in relation to the "parts" he was looking at?

If the junk yard is like the ones around here. you cannot drive around them. they have all their junk cars in a fenced in area. You park your car in the lot usually infront of the main building, and then walk around looking for the part. Sometimes they assist you, and sometimes you have to remove the part yourself.

So most likely the car was not parked near where he was at. It also could be that they don't allow children back there due to safety.

I'm betting no one there ever seen the child in the car.

I wear mint flavoured shoes so that it doesn't taste so bad when I insert my foot. LOL! I am thinking of taking out a patent on them.

...When youse guys get your patent in place ....please send several dozen pair my way? :footinmouth: Any flavor *except sour green apple, please! :yuck:

....Those should last me about a week....Thank you!

And thank you for the smile..........today - I needed it!

If the junk yard is like the ones around here. you cannot drive around them. they have all their junk cars in a fenced in area. You park your car in the lot usually infront of the main building, and then walk around looking for the part. Sometimes they assist you, and sometimes you have to remove the part yourself.

So most likely the car was not parked near where he was at. It also could be that they don't allow children back there due to safety.

I'm betting no one there ever seen the child in the car.
Thanks ~ that makes me feel a little better that Hassani wasn't left in one of those junk cars. I still would like to know why he was there though. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313